Code of Conduct

Default Myers-Briggs personality type: is it possible to select matching fragrances for your type?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about: Myers-Briggs

As an INTJ, what fragrances would possibly match my personality?

EDIT: copied the wrong link: it's intJ instead of P for me. You can take this test for yourself if you want but you don't have to take it too serious!
    Last edited by Desmond Hume; 16th January 2011 at 09:06 AM.
    Acqua di Gi is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

Default Re: Myers-Briggs personality type: is it possible to select matching fragrances for your type?

This is a really intriguing thread idea, Desmond Hume. While I like fragrances of all "personality types", I think the idea of matching a fragrance to a personality isn't absurd and actually kind of a cool idea.

For you, two from Maison Francis Kurkdjian come to mind, two that I've been loving lately:
    Cologne Pour le Soir which is a pretty powdery incense with the perfect amount of sweetness. It's soft and intimate.
    Lumiere Noir Pour Homme is another soft fragrance, this time with the quietest hint of rose and patchouli encased in a pillow of soft incense and wood smells. It's quiet but present. I seriously think you'd like both of these.

Others: L'Artisan Mechant Loup, Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist, and any of the Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incenses.

Default Re: Myers-Briggs personality type: is it possible to select matching fragrances for your type?

Hmm, I must be schizophrenic then; I love traditional eau de colognes, and orientals.

Hi Desmond Hume .... another (past Lost fan) and INTP here.

As an INTP I like learning and reading about fragrances probably just as much as experiencing them. So I guess when it comes to actually wearing scents within type the I would suggest something for introverts (probably not a monster projector). Yet, I'm fascinated and can respect some uncomfortable and unusual ones. As my bf writes to people in Christmas cards: I'm glad they exist.

And the T (thinking) part of me is fascinated to read about fragrances especially when they have discordant combinations thrown together to form an unexpected ride.

The P in me wants a surprise in the drydown.

I'm pretty new here so I'm not going to offer suggestions. But I'd say its very INTP to never be able to perfectly pin it down to one.

A direct relationship between personality and fragrance preferences would be total poppycock! Nevermind the difficulty of defining and "measuring" personality "types" with any accuracy. If fragrance preferences were directly influenced and measurable in that way, the perfume industry marketing people would be beating it to death by now. I'd think culture, socio-economic status, age, and education would have a greater influence on fragrance preferences and even those factors are probably not very robust.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
    As an INTP, what fragrances would possibly match my personality?
    What, didn't you remember to watch to see if you matched the guys in the commercials?

Most people around an INTP probably figure he'd wear something horribly obscure, outdated, appropriate only in the most abstract of ways, or some combination of the above ... assuming he didn't grab something else by accident.

As that describes half my wardrobe, three guesses how I test out on MBTI tests

I think this idea has an incredible amount of potential. It could likely fill a book, and one i would most certainly read.
    ---
    -josh

www.imaginaryauthors.com

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
    -Oscar Wilde

You'd wind up with a different fragrance everytime you took the test!
    .Dave J

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Hmm, I must be schizophrenic then; I love traditional eau de colognes, and orientals.
    OK, so this was tongue in cheek, but I dont see this split in taste being all that uncommon. They are my 2 favourite groups as well. I think this demonstrates how difficult any kind of recommendation system for fragrances is. There are only 16 Myers-Briggs types, I doubt if you tried to group BaseNoters by perfume taste that you would be able to classify everyone into 1 of 16 groups. All you would prove is people are more complicated than Jung suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I doubt if you tried to group BaseNoters by perfume taste that you would be able to classify everyone into 1 of 16 groups. All you would prove is people are more complicated than Jung suggested.
    +1
    Especially the last part
    .Dave J

i'm an ESTP and all i know is i'm pretty open to most fragrances haha

I am INTJ too, yet I have no clue about which frags an INTJ is supposed to wear

It would be an interesting study if one could do it scientifically (large randomized sample etc.) to look for patterns or relationships between the MBTI and fragrance preference.

An INTP/INTJ myself, I generally enjoy fragrances which are designed in such a way that no note stands out upon first sniff; a single chord. Then I dig deeper and analyze it (per note) as best I can.

The Myers-Briggs has been used with limited success in areas such as career counseling and match making for quite a long time. I think it has been much less useful in predicting specific consumer preferences. I doubt the Myers-Briggs would be any more useful in predicting fragrance preference than it would be at predicting food preferences, clothing preferences, or movie preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by xdsjx View Post
    You'd wind up with a different fragrance everytime you took the test!
    +1! I was an ISTJ, now I'm an ENFJ, and slightly to moderately on each aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    All you would prove is people are more complicated than Jung suggested.
    +2! Most of us are dynamic (like, I've become more outgoing as I've gotten older.) I identify with certain aspects of each trait, so this test really means nothing to me. As Desmond mentioned in his op, you don't have to take this test too seriously, but it is fun to recognize yourself in someone else's analysis.

Sometimes I think some of my fumes reflect my personality, but most the time I think tastes don't reflect personality at all, but rather expose different aspects of it (if taste and personality are related, at all; physiology affects the appearance of taste, as well-- I prefer red wine, but it has recently begun to give me headaches, so I drink more whites and roses.) I used to think my propensity for big sillage scents reflected a desire to be noticed; this propensity is something lots of us here share, though, so I think it's more a reflection of our genuine enjoyment of perfume. Most BNers want something we can actually smell on ourselves for a good length of time. Whether that's a big gourmand, a big white floral, a big green, spicy oriental, or whatever, that has as little to do with my level of compassion or how I prefer to spend my leisure time as my taste in cheese.

The mood you are in affects much more your preference for perfumes than anything else.
    You know, sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't, Almond Joy's got nuts Mounds don't.

You should not pidgeonbox yourself (or people for that effect)

Certainly a topic that one could write a book on. Has some merits, but at the same time it could be easily be dismissed as another generalization or making a connection between two different things.