Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default YouTube reviewers and "fakes"

All right, I'm going to risk every youtube reviewer and every youtube fragrance review viewer's ire now and get called and dismissed as a "hater."

This thread idea isn't even really Basenotes's business either, because it's not something that is about the site or the site's membership, but of course the threads where youtube reviews are discussed here get lots of back and forth banter with new members called/calling hater and so forth. And many of said new members listing their favorite reviewers by first name and so forth. (I admit, I haven't seen all youtube reviews, but I've seen quite a few if not a lot of them.)

Here's what my problem with the the youtube reviews I've seen is: there's a lot of time spent talking about how the reviewer is sure his/her bottle of X fragrance isn't a fake. Sometimes such expert authority takes a minute, sometimes two minutes, sometimes that all works out to a sixth or even more of the full review's running time.

Hey reviewers, ask yourself: is the problem actually this large that it calls for this much thinking? Is the risk of a fake actually so large that I need to get my audience to think this much about it? Further, ask yourself: am I actually trying to make myself sound like a greater expert by spending so much time on minutia so that it sounds like I really know what I'm talking about?

Maybe I'm wrong, it won't be the first time, and I can think of other explanations, but I've seriously thought that youtube reviewers as a common trope discourse about the risk of "fakes" or "rumors" of them, about very common and frequent designer brands in particular (ones that really wouldn't make any faker any bank) just to sound to an audience like the reviewer must be an authority. It looks like hack and easy chops to make to establish a reviewer's credibility. And hell, there are rumors around everywhere--ten thousand rumors more than there are fakes--and no one can disprove a negative either right?

So come on, youtube reviewers, is this angst and doubt you're sowing in your viewers really what you want to give to people kind enough to look to you for your knowledge?

I'm not a hater, and let me anticipate any of the defenders who might want to post to this thread and stick up for their favorite reviewers. Watch the reviews, my friends and fellow youtube reviewer viewers, and thrive on the great thoughts and help that the reviewers give. I'm with you and want to party to the great institution of people thinking about fragrances just like you do. I'm only making a point about something I think is unhelpful. Tell me that I should shut up and make my own reviews if I don't like theirs, go ahead. But the youtube reviewers are adults or engaged in a thoughtful and provoking adult like activity and therefore the youtube reviewers ought to be able to take a thought and evaluate themselves accordingly as they see fit. Youtube reviewers, by the way they use their minds to review, show they've got the mind power to be able to evaluate themselves and think about whether someone else might have a point about their work. If anyone wants to take what I've said as sounding off about a small detail in a review he or she will be right, it is a very small detail in the youtube reviews. If anyone wants to write me off as a jerk for saying something, well, he or she won't be the first.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: YouTube reviewers and "fakes"

Who specifically spends too much time talking about how their bottle is fake? I know Marc shows people where the serial numbers are on each bottle so they can tell if their bottle is fake or not, but that lasts no more than 20 seconds or so and can be quite helpful. I can't say I recall anyone repeatedly spending a lot of time talking about how their bottle isn't fake.

You're just hating man, such a bitter little kid you are, if you think you can do a better job just buy a cam. Youtube reviewers are not perfect but they're very helpful and you should give them credit for that.

But seriously though. I do agree with you among other things. Youtube reviewers do waste a lot of time talking about pointless things, but hey people enjoy watching them and I already got crap for my constructive criticism, usually in the tone of "youtube reviewers are helpful to me, if you don't like them don't watch them."

Really, do reviewers think fakes is such a huge problem, or do they think their viewers are so dumb that they can't do the immensely complex procedure of locating a serial number or the bar code? Come on guys, I know reviewers don't think of it that way, but it is certainly insulting to one's intelligence if people have to point out something like that to you in every video. Here's a tip: 99% of the time it's on the bottom side of the bottle. I know it's somewhat hard to find on something like burberry london.

You're definitely right about trying to get the illusion of creditability, by making an incredibly obvious statement, that is extremely insignificant for most perfumes since they're rarely faked. Oh well, enough people already hate me on youtube and even here so what's the point...

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Here's what my problem with the the youtube reviews I've seen is: there's a lot of time spent talking about how the reviewer is sure his/her bottle of X fragrance isn't a fake. Sometimes such expert authority takes a minute, sometimes two minutes, sometimes that all works out to a sixth or even more of the full review's running time.
    Get out more.

What the OP said.

Damn it, scammers fake Rolex and Omega, not Casio...

Man alive, did I nail their vernacular or what?

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    Who specifically spends too much time talking about how their bottle is fake? I know Marc shows people where the serial numbers are on each bottle so they can tell if their bottle is fake or not, but that lasts no more than 20 seconds or so and can be quite helpful. I can't say I recall anyone repeatedly spending a lot of time talking about how their bottle isn't fake.
    Every fake I have seen has a serial number. Pointing out a number on the bottom of a bottle hardly authenticates a bottle or constitutes expertise.
    Last edited by Scentapede; 17th January 2011 at 12:40 AM.
    UP FOR SWAP: UNGARO 1. *Willing to ship first. I am looking for Montale, CdG Avignon, or Bois des Iles. Open to all suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentapede View Post
    Every fake I have seen has a serial number. Pointing out a number on the bottom of a bottle hardly authenticates a bottle or constitutes expertise.
    you little.....

You just gave fake bottle makers a fantastic idea. All they needed after their ability to duplicate the Bottle, box and the juice is the idea and ability to write a few random numbers on the bottom. Goddamn man, I blame you if fakes start overflowing the market.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Well, the cat is out of the bag now, damn it!
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming

As a reviewer I will try to answer this the best I can. Since my reviews are probably the longest from any reviewer on youtube and I do what you feel is something I should not be mentioning my videos.

This is one feature I added lately to my videos (if you check my earlier work I was not mentioning codes) which I added for the viewer. I would say I used to get mail on almost every review I used to do about codes , where to find them how to know if it's fake or not. So to downsize the clutter in my mailbox and to appease most of my viewers I added this feature which takes perhaps at the most 20-40 seconds and believe it or not but it helps some people. Do I feel this is a must in my videos ? No not at all , specially when I am reviewing Adidas Moves etc... but I try to help as many people as I can with any information.

I have added three or four features on my videos (such as how many sprays I use and where I spray them, showing the codes) for the viewers which I felt would not help them but after getting mail and requests to add them to my videos I believe that this does help some people.

I think anyone can find a code on a bottle if they are looking for it , but if there is a demand on my channel for it, I will spend the time to show people where it is.

I try to give as much information on my videos as I can, so once the video is over the viewer has no questions at all about that fragrance once they are done my video.

Hope this helps you to see where I am coming from DustB.
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robes08 View Post
    As a reviewer I will try to answer this the best I can. Since my reviews are probably the longest from any reviewer on youtube and I do what you feel is something I should not be mentioning my videos.

This is one feature I added lately to my videos (if you check my earlier work I was not mentioning codes) which I added for the viewer. I would say I used to get mail on almost every review I used to do about codes , where to find them how to know if it's fake or not. So to downsize the clutter in my mailbox and to appease most of my viewers I added this feature which takes perhaps at the most 20-40 seconds and believe it or not but it helps some people. Do I feel this is a must in my videos ? No not at all , specially when I am reviewing Adidas Moves etc... but I try to help as many people as I can with any information.

I have added three or four features on my videos (such as how many sprays I use and where I spray them, showing the codes) for the viewers which I felt would not help them but after getting mail and requests to add them to my videos I believe that this does help some people.

I think anyone can find a code on a bottle if they are looking for it , but if there is a demand on my channel for it, I will spend the time to show people where it is.

I try to give as much information on my videos as I can, so once the video is over the viewer has no questions at all about that fragrance once they are done my video.

Hope this helps you to see where I am coming from DustB.
    Marc, with all due respect, just because some of your reviewers are requesting something, it does not mean you have to do it. 20-40 seconds of your videos isn't much but it adds up. And from your post you do seem to agree it's ridiculously pointless to mention where to find the serial numbers because it does not require a genius to do so. It's not helpful, because 1. It's easy to do 2. you can't do it BEFORE you buy the bottle 3. it's not an incredibly difficult task for the fake bottles manufacturer to fake a serial number.

I don't want to sound offensive, but honestly people who ask that much about fakes are paranoid and too lazy to do very simple research. That's the nicest way for me to say it, but I'm sure you know the exact word I'm thinking of to describe them.

Ekove you know as much as I do, this also happens on this board too. Tons of new posts or threads are made in basenotes about authentic bottles daily. This is easy to moderate with dozen of moderators on a board and hundreds or thousands of fragheads to help someone out. That 20-40 seconds saves me 5-10 minutes in responding to e-mails after I do a new video. Do I think it's pointless to show the codes on a bottle of Adidas moves ? yes I sure do , but I will do it because that is what is in demand and all I ask my viewers that know better is to either watch the 20 seconds or to FF that part of the video.
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

If it smells good and you got it from a good source, then it's the real thing.

Now, if there's a review bashing a fragrance and maybe a person wants to add that theirs is real, then yes, it's not too bad.

I agree with you though, DustB. Most people, when watching a fragrance review video, don't think about this, bringing this up would be kind of like bringing up "Are my kids really MY kids?" or something else. As long as in your review you can describe the scent accurately to what everyone else smells it as, then I see no need to mention if the fragrance is legitimate.
    Last edited by Grottola; 17th January 2011 at 01:25 AM.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Blog Entries

No such thing as fakes unless we're talking top sellers. It drives me insane when people claim fakes of like friggin Montales or diptyque. There's such paranoia "ohhh it doesnt smell the same as the sample I had a few years ago, it smelled fresher back then..." Yeah cause the people who fake bottles are totally gunna go after fragrances that are purchased maybe 500x a year... I can understand Le Males, ADG, Code, but when people are claiming whether their Rochas Man, Serge Lutens, or Bond? Come on, stop being paranoid. I've had cereal, toothpastes, shampoo, candy all taste, feel, smell, etc. way different from the last time i used it. It's called different batches, there's variations, there's formula changes, but just because there's less lemon in the opening doesn't mean it's a fake. Sorry about the rant, but it pisses me off so much how many threads I see about some obscure fragrance being a fake. Different batches people, different batches...

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    No such thing as fakes unless we're talking top sellers. It drives me insane when people claim fakes of like friggin Montales or diptyque. There's such paranoia "ohhh it doesnt smell the same as the sample I had a few years ago, it smelled fresher back then..." Yeah cause the people who fake bottles are totally gunna go after fragrances that are purchased maybe 500x a year... I can understand Le Males, ADG, Code, but when people are claiming whether their Rochas Man, Serge Lutens, or Bond? Come on, stop being paranoid. I've had cereal, toothpastes, shampoo, candy all taste, feel, smell, etc. way different from the last time i used it. It's called different batches, there's variations, there's formula changes, but just because there's less lemon in the opening doesn't mean it's a fake. Sorry about the rant, but it pisses me off so much how many threads I see about some obscure fragrance being a fake. Different batches people, different batches...
    different batches? That's outrageous my good sir!

It doesn't bother me if they take 15 seconds in video review to show where the serial numbers are located. If you don't like it, then just don't watch them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    you little.....

You just gave fake bottle makers a fantastic idea. All they needed after their ability to duplicate the Bottle, box and the juice is the idea and ability to write a few random numbers on the bottom. Goddamn man, I blame you if fakes start overflowing the market.
    LMAO

There are many reasons that I have little interest in viewing youtube reviews. Most importantly, the reviews and discussions here on Basenotes tend to be more detailed, intelligent, knowledgeable, thorough and entertaining than anything I have yet seen online.
    Most of the reviewers spend time reviewing fragrances that I can easily just go to the mall and test myself. If a Youtube reviewer wants to get my attention, try reviewing something esoteric and interesting. I would love to see a male reviewer do a series on feminine marketed fragrances, or weird Italian perfume houses, or Middle Eastern Ouds or something.

DustB, I am with you on your whole post.
    Neurosis makes great points as well.

I don't mean to come off as a jerk or whatever. I think that the idea of Youtube fragrance reviews has tremendous potential. I would love to see fragrance become a more mainstream topic, especially masculines. But it would take someone with a lot of charisma (distinctly lacking in the reviews I have seen), some production values (even minimal would be a welcome change) and interesting topics.

My 2 cents only.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Blog Entries

At the risk of shedding light instead of heat, let me suggest something very useful which video reviewers could do - and for which video is the perfect medium.

Why not expose some real fakes? Go to shadytown, and have a bud camcord the buy. Or buy a bottle of that $60 GIT on the 'Bay and show off the screen captures of the dubious seller. Then do some side-by-side video comparisons of the bottles, the caps, the boxes, and ESPECIALLY the juice. What notes are different? Which ones are missing? How good is the fake?

What I'm saying is do a little research and then turn THE PEOPLE'S CAMERAS on the bad guys. And as motivation, let me offer that not only would you be doing a whole lot of good in general, but that a well-researched and well-presented video (i.e., razor-sharp camera focus, etc.) would probably garner a TON of views, and might even get featured somewhere.

Just sayin'.....

PS - Just one word of advice. Be damn sure it's a fake.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    ... I have little interest in viewing youtube reviews...
    ...it would take someone with a lot of charisma (distinctly lacking in the reviews I have seen), some production values (even minimal would be a welcome change) and interesting topics.
    -Slim
    +1

I've yet to see any compelling youtube reviews of frags, but that's a general observation. Information and helpful tips on how to spot if my 100 dollar perfume investment is authentic wouldn't help maintain my interest for too long either

Perhaps I'm an anachronistic dinosaur that's partial to the written form, or it could be that if I want to discuss fragrance it's not at the "production batch serial number" level.

** EDIT: Hey Red! Your ideas are very "left field"
    Last edited by jathanas; 17th January 2011 at 04:26 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    ** EDIT: Hey Red! Your ideas are very "left field"
    LOL! Yeah, seems like those prairie populist roots get the best of me quite often!

Blog Entries

I don't mean to come off as a jerk or whatever. I think that the idea of Youtube fragrance reviews has tremendous potential. I would love to see fragrance become a more mainstream topic, especially masculines. But it would take someone with a lot of charisma (distinctly lacking in the reviews I have seen), some production values (even minimal would be a welcome change) and interesting topics.
    -Slim
    I've tossed around the idea of doing video stuff, either for the Scent of the Year experiment or Basenotes March Madness. I briefly considered video reviews, but came to the conclusion that I don't terribly see the point. One, it does me no better service than reading a review, which I can absorb faster than the subject could intelligibly talk. There is no visual element that is better served by a video than a simple image. Two, we are blessed with a lot of very talented writers, who can put pen to paper and create an image clearer and unequivocally better than a camera-shy twenty-something with a propensity to ad-lib can do in High Definition. Three, a review shouldn't be about the reviewer, it should be about the fragrance (and occasionally connected anecdotally to the reviewer). This is nigh impossible in a video format. Perhaps I should care about your mascot dog, but I do not.

That said, I would absolutely watch something in the style of a documentary, chronicling the history of fragrance or even a particular house, or if there's enough meat on it, even one single fragrance. Or a certain process, the lavender fields of France, the rose harvest in Bulgaria, the distillation of oud from wood. Fascinating, and well served by video. Eight minutes of my time on a review that might make a paragraph or two on paper? No thank you.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Slim has got it nailed.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

so many pointless discussions.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Slim pwned the youtube reviewers with the exception of Katie Puckrik. So true. Whats the point in posting reviews of generic craps ? At least review something interesting.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

But it would take someone with a lot of charisma (distinctly lacking in the reviews I have seen), .

-Slim
    This Aussie oozes an aura.

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Slim pwned the youtube reviewers with the exception of Katie Puckrik. So true. Whats the point in posting reviews of generic craps ? At least review something interesting.
    Because they're not catering to the interests of people like you. God forbid someone actually wants to hear something about fragrances that you don't enjoy. You have the right to not enjoy them, and not watch the videos, but they have the right to be interested without being ostracized and labeled by you or someone else as irrelevant or worthless. Get off your throne.

Because they're not catering to the interests of people like you. God forbid someone actually wants to hear something about fragrances that you don't enjoy. You have the right to not enjoy them, and not watch the videos, but they have the right to be interested without being ostracized and labeled by you or someone else as irrelevant or worthless. Get off your throne.
    Oh Fitch, leave off. The guy said what his opinion is and why the video reviews don't appeal to him. He effectively started his constructions making it clear they were HIS thoughts. And he didn't say the problem was they reviewed scents he doesn't enjoy, he said the problem was they reviewed scents he could go down and smell himself. Leave off the personal attack, pretending he's saying he's a social better since he's got a thought. He doesn't get a throne because he's got thoughts and he's not thinking in order to get a throne.

Maybe I'll be unfair here and maybe I'm setting too high a standard, but if I were a youtube reviewer to whom Slim's critique applies I would post in reply to you to give the guy some space too, that Slim has his thought and you and I don't need to agree with it, but that I as a reviewer could understand someone thinking about and reacting to my work, and I could even welcome it. If I were a reviewer I'd tell you that I can handle what people say about my work and that I can and will make my own decisions about whether I agree or disagree with such comments about my work.

Someone like DustB knows a lot more than most, especially you in this case. We have high standards, unlike some people (some are really knowledgable, unfortunately most dont). So go and praise ur "youtube reviewers", dont forget to get a real sofisticated life too.

@DustB: Respect for bringing this problem up. I believe most veteran members feel the same.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

The only style of YT review I like it is the short, punchy but with accurate descriptions. That goes for the written word too. I don't think that you need a 2000 word essay or 10 minute video on a scent to review it effectively. Unless you are massively charismatic and good at keeping peoples interest, it's gonna be hard to pull that off.