Code of Conduct

Thread: Shaving soap

Default Shaving soap

whats your favorite? I use Van Der Hagen's premium, it has a rich boozy berry and classic powdery shaving soap smell! its fantastic and shaves well too for a 4 dollar soap. I use it with my DE razor. Anyone else like to use shaving soaps/tubes as opposed to aerosols?

Default Re: Shaving soap

Nope...tbh I just use nivea for men.

This will probably be moved to the men's grooming forum....

My favorite is Trumper's Eucris soap. In fact I can't wait to use up all my other stuff so I can get a new cake!

I'm also a fan of Van Der Hagen Premium. Best shave soap for the money. I tried Classic Shaving's soap and it doesn't lather well enough. I like Proraso's Eucalyptus shaving cream, Art of Shaving Sandalwood cream, and Taylor of Old Bond Street's Mr. Taylor shaving cream. The best shave I ever get with my Feather straight razor however, is from Shave Secret. No lie.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Proraso, Truefitt & Hill Limes, Taylor of Bonds Avocado, and the list goes on (but I'd be happy with just those three.)

I shave with a straight razor. Geo F. Trumper's Ajaccio Violets shaving soap is the one whose scent I most enjoy. It is always a pleasure to use. But in terms of the pure utility of good shaves, my favourite is Cella's Crema da Barba All'Olio di Mandorla. A tallow shaving soap, though the scent is a sort of uninteresting marzipan.
    Last edited by Merely; 31st December 2011 at 05:53 AM.

10dadeo - check out the shaving soap threads in the men's grooming forum.

My favourite is Czech & Speake's Oxford and Cambridge. Pricey, but in terms of performance and scent is tops for me.
    Honourable mentions to D.R.Harris soaps (Arlington in particular) also.

I've been using Taylor of Old Bond Street Lavender which I like a lot. Used to use Proraso tube at first, but I've been loving Santa Maria Novella and RazoRock XXX lately. Castle Forbes is hard to beat as well. I want to try Art of Shaving Ocean Kelp -- anyone use it yet?

Institute Karite

Cella

Valobra Shave Stick

No shaving soap user yet, but I am considering either the ones by Knize or by Crabtree&Evelyn

Cool Re: Shaving soap

My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

The shaving soap/cream that works the best for me is Proraso's Eucalyptus (I get a super-close shave, plus can lather up quickly!), but it's not my favorite scent-wise. I really like the scents from Trumpers!

The Art of Shaving Sandalwood here
    Nasomatto Black Afgano is my fave frag right now

There are a lot of good ones out there. Some quite expensive. On the lower cost side, I like:
    Ogallala
    Institute Karite
    Irish Moos
    Tabac

Recently, one day that I had run out of my usual shaving foam, I used just a normal soap bar, just the cheapest, least fancy you can think of. And I never came back since, it's great for my thick beard.

I hear Mitchell's Wool Fat is amazing but have yet to try it. Very expensive but supposed to create slick lather.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Old Water View Post
    I generally use a cheapie, like Barbarsol, but had a sample of this and might treat myself to a bigger purchase.
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

I have the cream. Smells incredible.

Just bought Provence Sante Green Tea. Smells exactly like Trader Joes green tea body soap, exactly what I was looking for.

Also bought Mitchell's wool fat. Will report back.

I've tried a bunch -- Mitchell's Wool Fat and Martin de Candre are my favorites. I like others but those two stand well above the field, for me.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

A good one IMO.

£0.49 Palmolive shaving stick.

I've had soaps that have cost 40 times more (!) but this little stick has knocked 'em all into a cocked hat.

Mitchells is good stuff. You might want to you tube some tips on how to lather it though. The puck is fairly hard and you have to hit just right. I've got some of the straight razor designs soap as well that I like. I mainly use cream TH Trafalgar and Castle Forbes are my fav right now.

Has anyone tried any of the Creed shaving soaps?

In ruff order

Martin De Candre
    Razo Rock Italian Artisan Limited Ed
    (Penhaligans, Truffitt and Hill, Taylor of old bond Street)
    DR Harris
    Straight razor designs

I have about 30 soaps and about 37 creams...
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Valobra Mentolado
    Valobra Regular
    Arko
    Tabac
    Irisch Moos
    Ogalalla Sandalwood

I have many, but these are probably my most used.
    Mark K

DR Harris Arlington
    Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Cella
    Tabac
    Proraso
    Martin de Candre

Good lord How did I forget LaToja??? In the container not the stick. Different formula. Sadly now discontinued.....
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Good lord How did I forget LaToja??? In the container not the stick. Different formula. Sadly now discontinued.....
    La Toja was better in the container than in the stick?
    The stick has such magnificent lather I find it difficult to fathom that there could have been a better version.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Funnily enough, I've been solely using the stick for the last week or so. It's excellent stuff! It's interesting that it seems to prefer my loftier horsehair brush to my silvertip badger. That Vie Long's a real winner at the moment.

On a more topical note, I need to stop purchasing soaps. I've got 3 in rotation at the moment (Proraso green, GFT Limes cream and the La Toja stick) and must resist the urge of opening what's already in stock (Cella, MWF, Proraso white and Palmolive sticks). It's hard because this lady is definitely turning my head at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    La Toja was better in the container than in the stick?
    The stick has such magnificent lather I find it difficult to fathom that there could have been a better version.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Very much so!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lessthanthree View Post
    Funnily enough, I've been solely using the stick for the last week or so. It's excellent stuff! It's interesting that it seems to prefer my loftier horsehair brush to my silvertip badger. That Vie Long's a real winner at the moment.

On a more topical note, I need to stop purchasing soaps. I've got 3 in rotation at the moment (Proraso green, GFT Limes cream and the La Toja stick) and must resist the urge of opening what's already in stock (Cella, MWF, Proraso white and Palmolive sticks). It's hard because this lady is definitely turning my head at the moment.
    I haven't been able to start a rotation yet - because I haven't gotten around to using all my soaps and creams yet. I could have gone through all of them once by now, but I've been testing razors and blades, and for that I need soaps and creams that I use as constants in the evaluation.

Really soaps and creams are so cheap, the price of a full cost bottle of scent could buy you anywhere from three to twenty different types of them. So I don't see the point of holding back on them. They won't go off for many many years (decades?), so there is no need for restraint in playing around with them.
    Regards,
    Renato

Tabac, Cella; I travel with a tube of C&E Sienna cream...go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    £0.49 Palmolive shaving stick.

I've had soaps that have cost 40 times more (!) but this little stick has knocked 'em all into a cocked hat.
    I dig up the thread just to second this. I just restocked on a trip to Germany.

There are plenty of good soaps out there. I tend to like the tallow based soaps more than the vegan counterparts (but there are certainly some good vegetable soaps too). A few of my favorites:

Spieck stick (milled into a bowl)
    Martin de Candre
    Valobra stick (milled into a bowl)
    AoS Lavender and Sandalwood
    L'Occitane Cade
    Harris Arlington & Marlborough

My favourites that I currently own (in order of frequency of use):

Martin de Candre
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Palmolive Shave Stick
    GF Trumper's Rose

&

Steve

I didnt tried much shaving soaps, but this gillette do the job and smells AMAZING

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    I didnt tried much shaving soaps, but this gillette do the job and smells AMAZING
    Honestly, do yourself a favour and try a proper shaving soap. This is just canned goo.

+1. Tabac is a good place to start.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Kyujin View Post
    Honestly, do yourself a favour and try a proper shaving soap. This is just canned goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyujin View Post
    I second that. Avoid like the plague at all costs. Get a real shaving soap.

Quote Originally Posted by desmoface View Post
    &

Steve
    These are what I used the most.... they sit side by side on my dresser.
    If I Could Only Have a Dozen:
    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    3. Guerlain Vetiver
    4. Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa
    5. Creed Bois Du Portugal
    6. Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    7. Creed Tabarome Millesime
    8. Guerlain Heritage
    9. Penhaligon's Sartorial
    10. Creed Royal Oud
    11. Chanel Egoiste
    12. Creed EROLFA

Just started using an Arko soap stick with my DE razor and i have had the best shaves ever with the Arko.

I had an old mini deodorant stick that i pushed out the deodorant from and put half the Arko stick into. That way i can rub it straight onto my face. They sell actual containers for this purpose like this-

I dont have a brush so I just create a very thin lather with my hand and it works fine. Doesnt seem to have any noticeable smell if you like that sort of thing.

I also have Arko, it's a very good value that provides a nice shave. Works even better with a good brush.

Steve

I found myself looking at brushes online last night. Now I have to fight myself on what to spend on a "good brush".

Savile Row 3824 enjoys a solid reputation as a great all around brush. I loves mine.

Steve

A good boar, or even horsehair, brush won't break the bank. I mainly face lather soap with a boar or horse more often that I reach for my expensive silvertips - which I often tend to bowl lather with.

i was thinking more like a $20 brush if any. im very frugal mind you. I really dont think I need to use it though and it will just be more paraphernalia sitting around in a drawer. I dont like to make a big production out of shaving either. I dont have much to shave because I have sparse hair on most of my face. I guess it the Cherokee.
    I will try some of these other soaps though when the Arko runs out or I get bored with it, which will happen soon im sure. What about glycerine based soaps? Any good?

Has anyone used the type of shaving cloth that that psychopath Charles Roberts touts. (Ive met him. he is crazy) i may just try something like that and see if it works up any better light lather.

Quote Originally Posted by 10dadeo View Post
    whats your favorite? I use Van Der Hagen's premium, it has a rich boozy berry and classic powdery shaving soap smell! its fantastic and shaves well too for a 4 dollar soap. I use it with my DE razor. Anyone else like to use shaving soaps/tubes as opposed to aerosols?
    I stopped using canned products a couple of years ago. My favorite soaps include Tabac, Cella, and Harris Arlington. Van Der Hagen is a good soap as well and I used it this morning.