Code of Conduct

Default Your Shaving Routine/ Set-Up.

Given there appear to be a few wet-shavers here on BN, I thought maybe we could share our experiences, swap tips, offer our thoughts on various shaving-related products etc.

I thought to kick things off, I'd post a pic of my typical (well, today's) shaving set-up:

Prep: I start off by first washing my face with Nivea daily essentials gentle cleansing lotion. It is a very light soap and is very cheap but does a decent job of removing any dirt, oil etc. After massaging this in, I apply some hot towels to my face and neck and leave them for a couple of minutes before rinsing off.

Lather: I prefer soaps to creams and don't bother adding glycerin or shave oil to my lather. Even living in London with its incredibly hard water, I find I can achieve a good, lubricating lather quite easily. Having made my lather in a cheap, ceramic bowl I picked up from the supermarket, I'll sit the bowl in a small amount of hot water, to heat the lather. My two favourite soaps currently are: D R Harris Arlington shave soap - wonderful scent and excellent lather, and L'Occitane Cade shave soap - again, I find it lathers very well. Both do a good job of not drying my skin too much.

Brush: I use an Edwin Jagger Super Badger (medium). Many prefer a firmer bristle if using soaps, but I found this suits me very well and doesn't feel too abrasive.

Razor: If we're talking DE safety razors: My favourite is the Merkur 34c HD. A classic of German engineering. Perfectly weighted, robust, last a lifetime.

Blades: Derby.

After-shave balm: This weekend I picked up some Refinery after-shave balm. I've only used it a couple of times, but am quite impressed. Light, non-greasy, hardly scented, and has a very pleasant cooling sensation which lasts a good 10 minutes. Contains aloe vera, witch hazel, rosewood. It was quite pricey though.

So that's me. I'd love to hear/see what others use or could recommend.

Default Re: Your Shaving Routine/ Set-Up.

My routine is not quite as stylish and sophisticated as yours.

- apply a hot linen towel to the face
    - apply Alt-Innsbruck pre & after shave emulsion
    - Lather: Valobra shaving soap - Brush: a German no-name brush made of badger silver tips mounted in Argentinean buffalo horn
    - Razor: I admit, a very un-classy Mach 3 - my attempts with a Merkur ended up too bloody
    - cleaning with the linen towel
    - apply Farfalla Sandalwood after shave emulsion

Right now this is what I use. It's simple but it works for me:

Razor: Gillette (late 40s) Super Speed or Merkur HD 34c
    Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat, Van Der Hagen Deluxe, or Williams
    aftershave: Several different options, but most often it's Old Spice or Pinaud Clubman.

Blog Entries

Regular everyday shave:

Wash with Terressentials Fragrance-Free Organic Facial Cleanser
    Shave with Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Shave Gel (my skin is oily and acne-prone)
    and Gillette Sensor Excel
    Follow up with Terressentials' Fragrance-Free Organic Facial Toner & Lotion

Special Occasion Shave

Same wash routine as above
    Shave with Proraso Shaving Cream
    Lather with The Body Shop Men's Sythetic Shave Brush
    Razor: Merkur Double-Edge Safety Razor
    Last edited by Grottola; 18th January 2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: To elaborate
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Until recently, I was shaving in the shower with a Shick Hydro 5 and King of Shaves Alpha Gel. I switched to the Shick setup from the Gillette Fusion, because the blades are cheaper. But now I've decided to try out a safety-razor setup because I'm sick of paying for these increasingly awkward blades, and I'm sick of the razor burn on my neck.

So now I have a best badger brush, mug, soap, and safety razor, all by Edwin Jagger.

With my old routine, I'd simply shower (including washing my face), and shave. I feel that the results were good, and I could get a good shave quickly. But now I'm slowing things down a bit, and doing the brush and blade routine immediately after my shower. I've done this twice over this past three-day weekend, and am liking the ritual, as well as the results.

My line of work requires that I be clean-shaven, so in the past, I've always shaved in two passes--one with the grain, and one against. Now, I only shave with the grain, and while it's not as close, I have less burn.

For aftershave, I'm using some moisturizing stuff from L'Oreal, esp. now that the weather is cold and dry. In the warmer weather, I'll use the designer balms, or good old Clubman.

I use plain old Noxema in the blue tub with either a Panasonic Vortex wet/dry shaver or Mach 3 razor. I use the Kiehls mens alcohol-free toner and a Clarins Men moisturizer.

Great responses, gents!
    I'm definately going to check out some of the products you mentioned.
    Thanks

The ground water here is unjustifiably hard. I have a reverse osmosis water filter that converts it to soft water (and UV filters it so it can actually be consumed). I take some of this water, and boil it.

I then pour this hot water into a ceramic scuttle (shaving mug), in which a badger shaving brush (tweezerman - cheapie, but does the job for me) will be soaked for about 20 seconds or so.

While the brush is being prepared, I wash my face out with warm water and soap.

I take the hot water out of the scuttle, leaving only a little in it, and then work up lather. I use a Tabac shaving soap. I've tried some "high quality" (read as "expensive") soaps, and just had to come back to Tabac, because it's just really as good as few other expensive ones.

I use a very classic razor which my father had been using and he gave it to me after he switched to something else. I could adjust the blade tension (the blade would be pressed from top and bottom ends) by screwing a knob on the razor. The settings are from 1 to 9, and I keep it at 1 if the blade is new, or extremely sharp. I also use this setting to shave on my neck. As the blade starts to wear away, I can go up to 3 (something higher than 3 and my skin would be a bloody mess).

I use Derby blades.

I use Zirh International's Erase post shave oil, which I think works well.

Before shaving: just cleansing with some generic face wash or liquid soap, by Dove or similar, no preshave oil, preshave lotion or so

Shaving: shaving foam for strong beard by Nivea for Men, Fusion razor (the non-electric version)

After shaving: Nivea for Men Sensitive after shave balm, also- even if not directly connected to shaving- daily use of some moisturizer or moisturizing lotion by Nivea as part of my regular face-care routine

I start off in the shower.

Wash my face and head (I'm bald) with L'Oreal Men's Expert Hydra Energetic Skin Energizing Gel Cleanser.

After that, I apply Jack Black Beard Lube (this stuff is amazing).

Shave it off with a Gillette Fusion Proglide razor.

On days when I need it, I then scrub with a Magic Peeling exfoliating glove.

Upon exiting the shower, I apply L'Oreal Men's Expert Comfort Max Anti-Irritation After Shave Balm to my face and head.

I use a 7 series Braun electric shaver, and then a bay rum, Witch Hazel or a sandalwood after shave. The witch hazel is the best, because it leaves the skin really soft. I prefer the braun shaver because it never irritates the skin. The only bad thing about it is that it is a bit difficult to shave the neck, since the hairs on that region tend to be flat and hard to "get".

More safety razor users than I would imagine.

For me, it's fill bowl and mug with hottest tap water. I mainly use no-name Turkish horsehair brushes, but I have about a dozen different brushes. Select one and put it in the mug.

Shower. Musgo Real or olive oil soap. Creed SMW gel if I am going to be wearing SMW.

Apply pre-shave oil. I've recently added this to the line-up, so I'm rotating through a few now. Dump the bowl and whip up a lather with Speick shaving cream. You know the drill...

I have a few razors, but the ones that get the most use are an ancient bakelite German open-comb slant, Merkur bakelite, Merkur 15C & Muehle R89. Blades are Feather or Kai. Two passes normally. Rinse with coldest water possible and apply witch hazel. Then apply a splash (Speick, Lucido, Gatsby). When dry I use Nivea sensitive balm.

With the exception of recently adding a pre-shave oil, this has been the drill (with some modifications here and there) for many years now. I occasionally use different blades, but nowt but Feather or Kai can usually do much to the wire-like stubble that grows out of my face!

A friend gifted me with a nice Gillette Executive and I think I'm going to really like that.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

Quote Originally Posted by 6of1 View Post
    Apply pre-shave oil. I've recently added this to the line-up, so I'm rotating through a few now.
    Interesting stuff, 6of1. Thanks for sharing. I've never actually tried pre-shave oils, but your post has piqued my interest. You obviously find it makes a significant difference for the better and I'd be interested to hear more. Have you found a favourite brand/combination yet? How long before applying lather do you apply the shave oil? Aside from lubricating, does your skin feel better for using a pre-shave oil?

I'd be very keen to hear any and all experiences
    Last edited by gandhajala; 29th January 2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: urgh, typos.

Grab Remington dry/wet shaver, shave.

Have to agree with Antinous of Bithnynia, about 'lectric razors, under the chin and around the neck is the hardest bit, because they lie flatter, and two days growth sometimes leaves them too long for me to get them easily.
    Call me George, my Mum does!
    Looking for bottles/large decants: A&F Fierce, Hollister Jake, Platinum Egoiste, L'instant de Guerlain. PM me

I have two white shave bowls I picked up at Wal-Mart for mixing lather, a silver hair badger brush (Rooney for Truefitt and Hill) - white handle. I use Feather blades in an all-stainless Merkur 38-C (DE/safety razor).

First I apply Truefitt & Hill Pre-Shave Oil on my face, after a hot shower. I rub it in and then wash my hands, thoroughly. I then prepare my lather by adding a glob of the shave cream into the bowl. I have numerous shave creams contained in tubs and tubes - I don't enjoy the "puck/soap".

Lately D.R. Harris has been my brand of choice - Lavender, Almond and Arlington.

I then shave, wash my face with hot and then cold water and a washcloth, then splash on my tea tree/soothing aftershave by Anthony Logistics. It works very, very nicely... During the winter I'm also using a gentle/sensitive fragrance-free moisturizer around my nose and areas that tend to get dry or shiny. But after all of that... picking my SOTD is the treat before I'm out the door!

Oh and to add: I also enjoy Derby blades (not as much as I love the fragrance by Guerlain!) and used them extensively before switching to Feather. I think Feather blades are the sharpest on the market, allowing an amazingly close shave.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Interesting stuff, 6of1. Thanks for sharing. I've never actually tried pre-shave oils, but your post has piqued my interest. You obviously find it makes a significant difference for the better and I'd be interested to hear more. Have you found a favourite brand/combination yet? How long before applying lather do you apply the shave oil? Aside from lubricating, does your skin feel better for using a pre-shave oil?

I'd be very keen to hear any and all experiences
    Right now the jury is still out. I am trying King of Shaves Alpha Oil, Art of Shaving oil & plain old avacado oil. I find the shave-specific oils better than avacado oil -- this didn't surprise me. I can't really tell a difference betwixt the two pre-shave oils.

Basically, once I'm out of the shower, I put the oil on. Then, however long it takes to tidy up a bit and whip up a lather is how long. On average, I would say about 3 minutes.

I can tell a difference if I shave without the oil, and my skin does feel a bit better. I think, all in all, that it is a worthy addition to the routine.

I too occasionally use King of Shaves oil before lathering up, esp. when it's so cold and dry. It adds some slickness, and helps condition my face.

I'm also trying out Feather blades, and like them so far. You just have to be really careful with them! I'm going to give some Derbys a shot, as they seem to have a lot of fans around here.

Mine currently goes like this:
    Soak AOS badger brush in porcelin shaving mug
    Shower, wash face with AOS Peppermint Scrub
    treat face with AOS Sandalwood oil
    Mix brush with AOS Sandalwood cream
    Shave with nickel plated AOS razor/Fusion blade
    *I have sensitive skin and would carve my face off with a straight edge
    Apply AOS Sandalwood balm
    **If I shave on a sunday I will take the time and apply a Zihr clay mask, post shave.

-I also use Proraso cream, AOS Lemon cream/Oil/balm in spring and summer.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I have two white shave bowls I picked up at Wal-Mart for mixing lather, a silver hair badger brush (Rooney for Truefitt and Hill) - white handle. I use Feather blades in an all-stainless Merkur 38-C (DE/safety razor).

First I apply Truefitt & Hill Pre-Shave Oil on my face, after a hot shower. I rub it in and then wash my hands, thoroughly. I then prepare my lather by adding a glob of the shave cream into the bowl. I have numerous shave creams contained in tubs and tubes - I don't enjoy the "puck/soap".

Lately D.R. Harris has been my brand of choice - Lavender, Almond and Arlington.

I then shave, wash my face with hot and then cold water and a washcloth, then splash on my tea tree/soothing aftershave by Anthony Logistics. It works very, very nicely... During the winter I'm also using a gentle/sensitive fragrance-free moisturizer around my nose and areas that tend to get dry or shiny. But after all of that... picking my SOTD is the treat before I'm out the door!
    I just started with a DE Safety razor: an Edwin Jagger DE89L. And I started with Feathers, which really are sharp! But they dull on my so quickly. I just ordered a sample set from West Coast Shaving that should keep me busy figuring out what blades I like.

I'm not using a pre-shave oil but I'm thinking I ought to. I just switched from a puck (Burt's Bees) to Acca Kappa's shaving cream, which was a tremendous difference! I just don't want to go back to the puck. I'd really like to try SMN's shaving cream but can't justify the $55 price.

After I shower, I immediately later up. Post shave, I rinse with cold water and spray with witch hazel, let it soak in for a minute while I put on deodorant and clean up the sink. I'm still using Burt's Bees aftershave, which stings very little (almost none) and has been the prevention for razor rash so far (compared to Knize Ten and Tom Ford) - but I'm still experimenting with aftershaves. I'm thinking of getting some Trumper's Skin Food to try and I need to upgrade my brush, which is badger, but I think there are better brushes than Col. Conk.

All in all, it's been a gradual transition. I've been wet shaving (first with an Atra II and Gilette in a can then with Burt's Bees and a Mach 3) for years and years but I'm really enjoying the DE.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Some say that Feather blades are only good for 2-3 shaves, max. I get 3, 4 at most. These blades are available in packages on eBay for a song - I don't think I can ever go back to Derby blades, though I have a lifetime supply of those as well.

On the SMN creams, I have used several of their products only through samples and they are quite superb. DR Harris creams truly make wonderful lather. The Acqua di Parma shave cream is also of fantastic quality but even more costly (retails @ $100 + for a jar I think!) I also use witch hazel in a toner solution that I apply all over my face - in the summer to deal with perspiration from humidity which can deal with small outbreaks and redness/irritation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cbstarker View Post
    I just started with a DE Safety razor: an Edwin Jagger DE89L. And I started with Feathers, which really are sharp! But they dull on my so quickly. I just ordered a sample set from West Coast Shaving that should keep me busy figuring out what blades I like.

I'm not using a pre-shave oil but I'm thinking I ought to. I just switched from a puck (Burt's Bees) to Acca Kappa's shaving cream, which was a tremendous difference! I just don't want to go back to the puck. I'd really like to try SMN's shaving cream but can't justify the $55 price.

After I shower, I immediately later up. Post shave, I rinse with cold water and spray with witch hazel, let it soak in for a minute while I put on deodorant and clean up the sink. I'm still using Burt's Bees aftershave, which stings very little (almost none) and has been the prevention for razor rash so far (compared to Knize Ten and Tom Ford) - but I'm still experimenting with aftershaves. I'm thinking of getting some Trumper's Skin Food to try and I need to upgrade my brush, which is badger, but I think there are better brushes than Col. Conk.

All in all, it's been a gradual transition. I've been wet shaving (first with an Atra II and Gilette in a can then with Burt's Bees and a Mach 3) for years and years but I'm really enjoying the DE.

I also use witch hazel in a toner solution that I apply all over my face .
    +1. I forgot to mention this in my post above. Currently I use a withch hazel and tea tree oil toner but once the bottle is finished, I think I'll go back to plain witch hazel. I liked the idea of the added tea tree, but I'm finding the product dries out my (already dry) skin too much.

On a semi-related note, I picked up a puck of Geo F Trumper's Rose Shave soap a couple of days ago. I love the scent (actually a very nice rendition of rose), but my first attempt at lathering it wasn't hugely successful. It looked fantastic in the bowl, but went on too thin. I will have to experiment some more to find the right water/soap ratio.

Maybe that's why I love wet-shaving so much; it is a constant learning experience.
    When the stars align just so, and you get that magical, perfect whipped egg -white lather, well, all seems right with the world

We all live for it, brother! I have some Taylor of Old Bond Street (Avocado and Sandalwood) - the Avocado is nice and lathers beautifully. The Sandalwood is garbage, quite honestly. I'm planning to order some Geo F Trumper's but I was thinking about the violet.. I was also thinking of giving the Lavender from Taylor of Old Bond St a try.

For the perfect lather I think you need the right "recipe" as you mention (proportions) and a great brush and bowl that allows you to add a bit of water at a time and whip it up to cloudy perfection!

Maybe that's why I love wet-shaving so much; it is a constant learning experience.
    When the stars align just so, and you get that magical, perfect whipped egg -white lather, well, all seems right with the world

Maybe that's why I love wet-shaving so much; it is a constant learning experience. When the stars align just so, and you get that magical, perfect whipped egg -white lather, well, all seems right with the world
    Yeah, then the razor tugs at your face. D'oh! Gotta hate that. No, but I hear you, sometimes I shave and it's like I used a cheese grater - I don't quite understand what happened.

Other times when I'm done I feel like I just nailed it like my favorite karaoke song. Those days are the best!

For the perfect lather I think you need the right "recipe" as you mention (proportions) and a great brush and bowl that allows you to add a bit of water at a time and whip it up to cloudy perfection!
    And don't forget about water quality. Unless you're on a well, the water coming out of your pipe can be different one hour from the next. I work in water quality so I know these things. Water supply company's that UV instead of Cl- to treat water still have to use Cl- to treat the infrastructure. So, you just never know. One day it's a good egg, the next day it's rotten.

I have been experimenting the last few months with blades. I don't like any of the five blade systems, they are too wide and awkward to use. I also read somewhere that the three blades are better for sensitive skin, and I don't appear to have as big of an ingrown hair issue with three blade systems.

I have tried the Schick Hydro system and I liked the guards on the blade and it did give me a close shave, but the hydro part feels like snot on my skin, way way too thick the first several times you used the blade and it was not what I would consider a good lotion. I got to the point where I would wet the blade for a while to get the hydro activated and then scrape the goo off.

Right now I am using a Mach 3 blade on a chrome handle, similar to the Art of Shaving ones but not as pricey. I am going to have to pick up a safety blade soon, maybe even a straight blade. I wanted to pick up a straight blade on a trip to London recently but I knew it would not make it home as I was only using carry on luggage.

I have some Taylor of Old Bond Street ...The Sandalwood is garbage, quite honestly.
    I agree!
    I love their Sandalwood (bath) soap, so I really wanted to like their sandalwood shaving soap too. But like you say, it's pretty rubbish. To be honest, I don't find any of their shave soaps that great. For the same price, I'd much rather a Trumpers or, better still, a D R Harris. My favourite of their line-up is Arlington, but I've been enjoying Marlborough too of late. (*Off- topic confession time: There's a very cute girl who works at D R Harris on weekends. I think there's some connection between that, and the fact I have a silly number of their soaps. Lame, I know.*).

Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    . I am going to have to pick up a safety blade soon, maybe even a straight blade.
    Once you do, you'll never look back. Promise!
    I hope you'll let us know what you settle on and your thoughts, SirWill.

Indeed - even when I travel east I stay with relatives and their water isn't as soft as the water I use. This throws off the balance of everything as I'm sure you'd agree, C?

Quote Originally Posted by cbstarker View Post
    And don't forget about water quality. Unless you're on a well, the water coming out of your pipe can be different one hour from the next. I work in water quality so I know these things. Water supply company's that UV instead of Cl- to treat water still have to use Cl- to treat the infrastructure. So, you just never know. One day it's a good egg, the next day it's rotten.

I need some bars of soap but shipping is so expensive because of their weight! LOL I do see some eBay vendors have rather decent deals though, but it still has to get shipped to Canada. I'd love to try the English bars of soap - I've used either Roger & Gallet, Crabtree & Evelyn or Acca Kappa for my go-to luxury soaps.. and the massive bars of Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte soap.

Perhaps I've spoken with the girl you have a crush on I've ordered from the London boutique many times. How much for a large bar of bath soap at D R Harris, do they make them? My orders have always been for the shave cream in a tube (not tub) there.

I agree!
    I love their Sandalwood (bath) soap, so I really wanted to like their sandalwood shaving soap too. But like you say, it's pretty rubbish. To be honest, I don't find any of their shave soaps that great. For the same price, I'd much rather a Trumpers or, better still, a D R Harris. My favourite of their line-up is Arlington, but I've been enjoying Marlborough too of late. (*Off- topic confession time: There's a very cute girl who works at D R Harris on weekends. I think there's some connection between that, and the fact I have a silly number of their soaps. Lame, I know.*).

Indeed - even when I travel east I stay with relatives and their water isn't as soft as the water I use. This throws off the balance of everything as I'm sure you'd agree, C?
    Our water is heavy on the chloramines here, too. That's one of the reasons I switched to creams. I do drag out the soap on occasion, but not very often.

Another thing I've found to help was by accident. I had purchased some Neutrogena post shave balm, but found I couldn't stand the stink of it. I have taken to applying it the night before and find that it does help soften everything up for the morning's shave.

^ interesting tip, thanks for sharing. I guess it makes sense - anything that softens your face and beard ought to make shaving easier. I tend to apply a moisturiser at night, so that perhaps has a similar effect. I'll try an aftershave balm though, see how it goes.

I stopped by Geo F Trumper this afternoon on my way home and picked up a bowl of their eucris shaving soap. Unlike their other soaps, this one comes in a black bowl with silver lettering so is quite distinctive. Just removing the plastic wrapping, this seems to have quite a strong aroma, but very pleasant in a traditional barbershop kind of way. Really looking forward to giving it a try later - hopefully it lathers well. I'll report back.

OK, so I had a chance to try Geo F Trumper's eucris shaving soap which I picked up yesterday. I'm pleased to say my first impressions are excellent! Beginners' luck or otherwise, I loaded up my brush and 2 minutes later, had a bowl full of the most wonderfully thick lather I've had for weeks. Fantastic lubrication - 3 passes and I had a baby-bum smooth face, which felt especially soft afterwards too. At the end, I still had plenty of lather left so next time, I think I will load a little less.
    Note wise, I pick up some cumin, some sandalwood and some sweetness - perhaps dark berries. Very sophisticated, put a smile on my face.

Surfing the 'net last night though, I came across this:

I had no idea C&S did shaving soaps - no.88 and Oxford and Cambridge.
    The snag?
    A whopping 95 pound (152 USD) price-tag!
    Holy-moley. I was speechless.
    Admittedly, the soap itself is 20 pounds, and the dish 75, but still. That's double the price of other 'luxury' shave soaps.
    The problem is, Oxford and Cambridge is my holy-grail of lavender scents and I really, really want to try this.
    Unsurprisingly though, I can't find too much information about it. If anyone has experience of C&S shave soaps, please do share!

Some say that Feather blades are only good for 2-3 shaves, max. I get 3, 4 at most.
    That's been my experience as well. I have some Derbys on the way.

I generally shave with clippers when it's not a special occasion - this give me a good coat of peach fuzz.

When I need a close shave, I have a ritual:

Shower, with the door closed. Get my facial hair nice and soft.
    Dry off, taking care to leave my face wet.
    Put pure hot water in the sink, letting my lather bowl ($1 plastic bowl from Target or something) float around and get warm. While this is happening, I'm splashing the hot water onto my face to keep it warm.
    Put a bead of "Proraso" (Green tube) in the bowl, if I plan to go against the grain and get really close. I use Crabtree & Evelyn's "Nomad" when I don't need the cooling menthol.
    Dip my brush in the hot water, then lather partially in the bowl.
    Apply a pre-shave oil (can't remember the brand right now) to face / neck, then finish lathering my shave cream on my face.

The razor: Merkur Classic Long handle
    The blade: Right now, Dorco (Red Pack).

After two to three passes, rinse with warm water, then splash with cool water (actual water, not the fragrance, of course).

Apply after shave treatment - I believe it's a Nivea product, but don't recall at the moment.

After two to three minutes, moisturize face, and apply scent.

Sounds like a lot, but it's really only 15-20 minutes after showering. 10 if I'm hurrying, but that is rare.

I also light a candle sometimes, and never have music or TV going - I can't hear the hairs' screaming with that stuff on.

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post

The razor: Merkur Classic Long handle
    The blade: Right now, Dorco (Red Pack).
    Those are the Dorco 301 blades, right? Have you tried the 300s? Is there a difference between the two?

I picked up some Gillette Goal and Supermax Blue Diamond blades recently and find them both to be fine performers.

art of shaving steps 1-4 with a fusion pro glide.

One day, perhaps when some poor woman (heaven help her) bears me a child, I will feel ready to purchase a straight razor.

Until then, all I need are are a shower, Pantene Pro-V conditioner on wet stubble, a Trumper's Rose/Tabac puck, an Edwin Jagger best badger brush, a handled ceramic soup mug, a Merkur 38C barber pole DE, Israeli blades, and a face, usually mine.

When I am in a hurry, I cheat and use Edge Pro-Gel and make a single pass with the DE before finishing off with a Schick Quattro I keep around for such occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Trumper's Rose puck
    Nice! This one is firmly in my rotation. Great lather, nice rose scent. My favourite rose shaving soap.

Ahhh, some wet shavers here.

I prep my face with Trumpers Skin Food, about 10 minutes before I shower. Fill Moss scuttle with hot water and soak badger brush.

After shower, wash face with Zirh Clean. I use a double edge razor, Merkur 38c. Prefer Astra blades, but starting to use Feathers.

Use a variety of soap pucks or creams. Art of Shaving Lavender and Trumpers Rose usually. Domenico Caraceni makes the nicest, richest cream I've run into. It's very opulent and has the DC 1913 scent - big time!

Lather up in scuttle, apply to face. Massage into face. Then - and this will improve your shave no matter what combination of blades, gels, soaps - apply washcloth to face with hottest water i can stand for a couple of minutes to further soften beard. We have all seen the barber wrapping the customers face with the towel i old movies. It works.

Then, three passes with razor- first with the grain, then across, last is against. Rinse face and re-lather for each pass. Then there is some touch up on the neck areas of my beard that are most stubborn. While it is sacrilege to many wet shavers, I often use a Gillette Fusion Turbo for said touchup. Those five blades tend to smooth out the most stubborn areas of my neck.

Finish with cold water rinse followed by unscented Witch Hazel. Top if off with Trumpers Skin Food. Skin Food comes in various scents, but they are quite fleeting and won't conflict of scent of choice that day.

Result is baby butt smooth face. Feels great. More guys should learn to cherish and enjoy this manly art. It takes around 10-12 minutes, but it makes my day. My daily shave is something I relish and look forward to everyday. Paying attention and focusing on it makes what is drudgery for many into an enjoyable Zen like ritual.

To really go deep, once a week finish shave with Vitaman Mud Mask. I don't know how they work, or even what they do - but every time I do it, my ex GF would always notice it and comment on it. Art of Shaving also makes a fantastic mud mask, but it is quite pricey. The Vitaman is best I've found- as good or better than AOS. I hope they stay in business. They make some good male grooming products. Hard to find tho - only at BarneysNY as far as I know.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 31st May 2011 at 05:10 AM.

ummmmmmm wet shavers here too, great.
    i have a simpsons chubby 3 pre-vulfix for sell NIB never used,if any member are interesed.
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Using a new way at the moment..

- Shower (sometimes scrub..)
    - Leave face wet
    - Little bit of Shiseido Shaving Cream..
    - Normal Gilette shaving cream for sensitive skin
    - Shave with hairgrowth direction
    - Wash
    - To finish, again a little Shiseido Shaving Cream..

No more razor burn.
    unico grande amore.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

-Shower/dry
    -Re-wet face/neck with hot water splashes
    -Hot water rinse/shake excess off brush. Then dab on brush dime-size amount Pacific All Natural Shaving Cream
    -Work up lather on face, adding touches of hot water as needed
    -Shave with Mercur 38C with Feather Blade or Schick Extreme/3 with light touch and in several directions each area
    -Re-lather and repeat shave with attention to any felt stubble areas
    -Splash off remaining Shaving Cream
    -Towel blot dry
    -Apply small amounts of Nivea Revitalizing Double Action Balm + Nivea Extreme Comfort Post Shave Balm + few drops of Aura Cacia Jojoba Natural Skin Care Oil all mixed together in both hands

Never razor burn or nick with this method. I strop both the Feather Blades and the Schick disposable on a smooth leather belt to provide dozens of comfortable and close shaves using either one before discarding. The Feather blades require stroping after each shave while the Schick Extreme/3 only need it every other shave.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    Right now this is what I use. It's simple but it works for me:

Razor: Gillette (late 40s) Super Speed or Merkur HD 34c
    Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat, Van Der Hagen Deluxe, or Williams
    aftershave: Several different options, but most often it's Old Spice or Pinaud Clubman.
    I remember your avatar from B&B!

Anyway:
    Merkur HD + Wilkinson Sword/Feather
    Omega Boar
    Taylor's of Old Bond Street - St. James collection.
    Gillette AS - nothing fancy.

However I have a Slim/Flair Tip on the way, and I'm going to buy a Simpsons brush soon.

I usually do some combination of the following:

Preshave - Proraso preshave cream
    Brush - Handmade finest badger
    Soaps - Taylor's of Old Bond Street sandalwood or Mule aloe vera
    Razors - Gillette Rocket or Gillette Ranger Tech(s)
    Blades - Personna 74s, Personna Labs/Med Preps, Sharks
    Postshave - Thayers witch hazel

Pre-shave: hot shower
    Shave: Dr. Selby shaving soap (hard to find, made in Uruguay, excellent protection for the skin), silver tip badger brush (Semogue), Edwin Jagger de89, feather blades.

Very simple routine:

Splash warm water on my face
    Gillete Foamy Shave Cream
    Gillete Pro Fusion Blade
    Hot Shower
    Aveeno Unscented Moisturizing Lotion

I use various shaving creams/soaps and even Shave Secret (which works better than anything else). But lately I've been using:

Soap: The Art of Shaving Sandalwood shaving cream
    Brush: Rooney badger hair
    Razor: Feather RG Club series straight razor w/ Feather pro guard light blades
    Aftershave: Thayer's witch hazel if I'm wearing cologne. If not, an assortment of Clubman's, bay rums, maybe even old spice.

Here's a pic of some of my old school grooming stuffs.

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Also I take a hot shower before hand to soften the facial hair.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I see this is a bit of a dated thread (year out)...I was doing some searching for DR Harris Arlington and this is the last of the search features. Anywho, I always enjoy talking about shaving so here goes...

Last two shaves have been with a new to me straight razor, and that said, I realize this thread is about your shaving set up so it all fits. Last week I bought this Carl Schlieper 8/8 from a fellow member of B&B through the BSt forum-

The PO toild me he bought is as NOS and only shved with it a few times. I believe him. There was absolutely no wear on this razor. BTW, according to the logo, this Schlieper was made no earlier than 1970

Anyways, I looked the edge over well using a loupe and as good as it looked, I decided to dull the edge on a lip of a drinking glass then I got out my Cretan hone from greece and let it soak for 10 minutes, then started to raise a slurry on the hone using a DMT

by the time I took this photo, the hone strated to dry a bit but I was thorugh with the Cretan at this point. this hone works well in the 1 K grit range, or thereabouts. If I make a heavy slurry with it, it will cut very well. Light slurries as I made here and the hone cuts lightly. So after working the edge for a bit and having a look at it with the loupe, I got out my la petit blanc coticule bout

feeling lazy, I decided to raise slurry using the same DMT. Edge was moving along well and though I have been correcting the bevel w/these two hones, I decided to get a theird hone in on this bevel correction progression...my 50X150mm les latnuese coticule

and built slurry again with my DMT (diamond metal plate), a well worn 600 grit, probably more like 800 grit or better

I used 1/2 strokes on all three hones, laying the blade flat on the hone, moving the blade back and forth, for 20-, 30 reps, then I'll flip and do the other side, same # of laps, keeping it wet (the slurry) and looking at the edge occsionally using my loupe, just to make sure of where I was going

When I felt I had the bevel correction phaze finished, I checked using the arm hair shave test, rinsing the blade, wiping it with paper towel to dry then seeing how well it shaved arm hair up and down the edge, both sides, and it passed with flying colours, popping arm hairs easily

i like the action and the slurry on the les lat so I continued with a bit of dilucot http://www.coticule.be/dilucot-honing-method.html but I wanted to finihs up this progression on la verte

so the green hone it was to finish, and I finished up making a light slurry on it, doing a series of x strokes, diluting every 10th lap, doing maybe 8 dilutions...then it was time for some x strokes on straight water. I lost count, no more than 50?

I didn't bother checking HHT until after stropping and saw HHT4 all up and down the edge. this was early Tueday morning. Tuesday afternoon was the shave, and what a beaut it was. Liked it enough to shave with again Wednesday=:-)

More on the shave?...I face lather soap and have been using Tabac lately

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.

Nothing too classy for me, but it works. Smooth. Leaves skin soft and without cuts.

I take a nice, hot shower first. Step out, and start shaving. I use Aveeno Shave Gel to start (just bought it to try, and I'm really liking it). I also use the Mach3. I know people love the Fusion, but I actually find that the Mach3 shaves closer than the Fusion on me. A simple washcloth for cleanup. Right now, I'm using Old Spice splash aftershave. I like balms better, and am on the hunt for a good one, but I already owned the splash, so I'm just finishing the bottle.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

shaving 001.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

shaving 002.jpg

Banned
    Blog Entries

i have a bottle of gilette gel and a couple of dollar-store razors (along with tons of other deodorants, hair gels/waxes, soaps, toothpaste tubes, etc) randomly spread all over my bathroom sink

I have had the best shaving experience with the procedure that i have been following for the past 2 years. Consdering that i have a very thick stuble i am able to shave both in the direction of the growth and against the growth.

Following are the steps that need to be followed.

1) Take a hot shower.
    2) After you finish your bath apply the scrub uniformly all over the face and allow it settle for 3 mits
    3) Start scrubbing for 3 more mits
    4) Use a shaving cream that lathers or that doesnt lather or you can use a soap as well. Following is the list that i would personally recommend.
    Shaving cream that lather- Truefitt and hill and 4VOO
    Shaving soap - Tabac Soap stick
    Creams that dont foam - Jack black beard lube, molton brown and zirh
    Shaving oil - Clarins
    Brush - Quality Badger brush
    Alum block
    Blade - Gillette mach 3 turbo

All the above mentioned products are world class and you can never go wrong.

5) If you are using a brush then you can create a thick lather by using any of the shaving creams mentioned.
    Shave in the directon of the growth of the beard.
    6) After having completed the first round of shave. Apply a small amount of pre shave oil in the region where you have thick stuble. No need to apply all over the place.Rub it properly so that the oil penentrates right into the roots.
    7) Apply the shaving cream once more and you can shave against the growth of the beard. Shavng against the growth of the beard is the only way of getting a very close shave.
    8) Finally clean your face with warm water or hot water to remove the excess oil followed by using alum block to close the pores.Finally wash with cold water to completely block the pores.

Cheers!!!!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Cleaned out a closet today and discovered that I actually have 4 straight razors, 5 safety razors, and a beautiful mach 3 turbo, chrome handled razor, made in England. I also have about 6 shave brushes, 2 silvertip badger. So happy. Now I will begin rotating all of them.

• Prep: Wash with Dr. Bronner's soap
    • Razor: Hoffritz Slant or HD
    • Blade: Astra SP or Derby
    • Brush: Finest Badger
    • Lather: Tabac, Arlington, Cella or VDH soap. Also Speick cream.
    • Post Shave: Witch Hazel splash

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Great shave today: Hot, steamy shower; Proraso cream and silvertip badger shave brush; 1950's Gillette safety razor= wonderfully close, comfortable shave. Should last me 2 days.