Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Eau Duelle - Diptyque

It's never caught my attention...till today. I kept sampling it with a few sprays and it sucked. Couldn't even smell the damn stuff! Well I put 3 sprays on both my arms and...

It's slapping a big fat smile on my face I'm really REALLY digging it. I've never had a fragrance improve my mood lol

Default Re: Eau Duelle - Diptyque

I love this stuff. Some days it's a vanilla martini, others a high-end bookstore. Very classy.

Sur la Plage

I was quite disappointed in it. Not the "vanilla" I wanted or expected.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

One of the best new Diptyques I've smelled, nonetheless there are a handful of scents that smell like this, so while it's noteworthy it is by no means original.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    It's never caught my attention...till today. I kept sampling it with a few sprays and it sucked. Couldn't even smell the damn stuff! Well I put 3 sprays on both my arms and...

It's slapping a big fat smile on my face I'm really REALLY digging it. I've never had a fragrance improve my mood lol

I see from your Top 4 Favorites that you like Chergui, A*Men, Tobacco Vanille and Pure Malt. And since you like Eau Duelle you must try Guerlains Spiriteuse Double Vanille.

Basenotes Plus

Yup, it reminds me of Spiritueuse Double Vanille a fair bit though it wears lighter than the Guerlain. FBW in my books.

Can you explain WHY you like this one, Neurosis? What aspects of it do you like? Why does it bring a smile to your face?
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

One of the frags from this house that I think is FBW.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Can you explain WHY you like this one, Neurosis? What aspects of it do you like? Why does it bring a smile to your face?
    It's got vanilla which I obviously love, but there's a brightness to it, a lighthearted joy. It smells pure but sweet and happy. It's just an atmosphere that when I was in a cloud of it it put a smile on my face, like walking outside and taking a deep breath early in the morning in the summer

^isn't it all that count in this hobby

I think it's an OK fragrance. I had hoped for more pronounced spice and incense notes. They're there but very subtle (I pretty much only smell the saffron). I gave my sample two full wearings and thought it was nice enough, but kind of boring. On the plus side, it has excellent longevity.

edit: After wearing it for a third time, I'm liking it quite a bit more and am considering purchasing at least a decant. It has definitely grown on me.
    Last edited by DJB; 20th January 2011 at 04:05 AM.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

The parfum solide is really great to slather on. Lasts all day. Spicy, yet clean vanilla.

Its similar to Guerlains SDV but the cardamom, saffron and juniper make it fresher than the SDV. The SDV has more floral notes to it. Both are nice. Both are different takes on Vanilla. The former is a floral take while the latter is a spicey take on Vanilla.

I think I like SDV more because of the Benzoin. I think its the combination of benzoin with other notes thast gives SDV this rum smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    The parfum solide is really great to slather on. Lasts all day. Spicy, yet clean vanilla.
    I too have the parfum solide but have yet to use it. I usually spritz myself with perfume (about 12 spritzes per application).

I am not sure how to translate the necessary amount of spritzing to attain my satisfactory longevity and sillage into lathering solid perfume. I feel that solid perfumes and Parfum formats are suited more towards ladies and men who require minimum distance of sillage. i.e the sillage enough to capture/dazzle the person who is in very close proximity. Think lounge or close quarters rendezvous. I have sprayed Parfum and if I spray the usual mount (10 to 13), then my head hurts due to concentration and if i spray less then the sillage is not as much as I need it to be.

I tried this again today and I think I'm going to have to buy it. 4 hours later and I can't stop smelling the hand I sprayed it on. It's sooooo beautiful. Not even a hint of anything remotely synthetic about it to my nose. Lovely stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I tried this again today and I think I'm going to have to buy it. 4 hours later and I can't stop smelling the hand I sprayed it on. It's sooooo beautiful. Not even a hint of anything remotely synthetic about it to my nose. Lovely stuff.
    Heading out to buy the 100ml bottle during my lunch break tomorrow, this and Chergui.... happy days!

Spiced vanilla with a 'citrus/not-quite citrus' accord.
    Purchased the 100ml last week, it is fantastic!
    I smell marshmallows!

A wonderful fragrance IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    Heading out to buy the 100ml bottle during my lunch break tomorrow
    Me too! Yay!

Got a sample in yesterday from Diptyque. Sprayed it ONCE on my hand this morning... just to smell it. My!! What a tasty, fatty-like vanilla! I could have gnawed my own hand off. It was still going strong before I took a shower, so I'm guessing this one will last all day long, if not longer!

Yeah, I sprayed some on my hand yesterday on my lunchbreak around 1pm. It was still very evident when I was in the gym at 9pm. It seems to have excellent longevity!

You guys only go too confirm that I am not a complete noob. I was really impressed with this one.
    Thank YOU.

I bought the 100mls at lunchtime and am unable to stop smelling my arm. I want to drink the stuff!

It IS pretty good isn't it - not making the SDV connection @ all though.

I've finally realised what it strongly reminds me of: Dior's Bois d'Argent(which I also love). That milky, vanilla, honey smell is so similar I think.

Anyone else think so?

I bought the 100mls at lunchtime and am unable to stop smelling my arm. I want to drink the stuff!
    me too! fabulous stuff

One of the better niche vanilla based frags available!

Basenotes Member

I loved this when I smelled it in the store. I loved the first sample I got. I bought a bottle. At first I thought I was getting sick. But the realized that everytime I wore Eau Duelle since I bought it I got really nasueas. And the scent seemed to have changed. A friend of mine (arab and mexican decent where I am polish decent) smells amazing in it. So I gave him the bottle. Any thoughts on why it would make me sick on me but not on him?

The sweetness maybe?

Might be worth checking out Byredo's Gypsy Water too. It's got a brief lemon+pine+incense opening and heart, then goes into a creamy sandalwood and vanilla drydown lasts for ages and gets better with time. I believe Olivia Giacobetti is the perfumer and she's done some Diptyques too.

(full disclosure, I work with the company but this rec is purely just based on personal experience and honest assessment)
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thebmorton View Post
    I loved this when I smelled it in the store. I loved the first sample I got. I bought a bottle. At first I thought I was getting sick. But the realized that everytime I wore Eau Duelle since I bought it I got really nasueas. And the scent seemed to have changed. A friend of mine (arab and mexican decent where I am polish decent) smells amazing in it. So I gave him the bottle. Any thoughts on why it would make me sick on me but not on him?
    Sometimes we're just allergic to some aroma chemical in it. The same thing happened with me and Tom Ford Extreme and a recent bottle of Bay Rhum that I bought used. As soon as I spray it on = nausea.

No worries, just stop wearing it and try something else. Life is too short to have your fragrances make my sick.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Member

Thanks guys!

This one reminds me of Spiriteuse Double Vanille. I can definitely see where the projection and longevity would be superior on the Guerlain but for a third of the price tag I think this one is a big winner!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Apple Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Just bought this for $60 for 100ml, total came to $72 on hautelook dot come. I am not spamming, just trying to inform of good deal to fellow basenoters. They have Tam Dao and some other Diptyques for the same price.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Smells like a bit of vanilla and a pit of paper. And that's not a bad thing.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    Just bought this for $60 for 100ml, total came to $72 on hautelook dot come. I am not spamming, just trying to inform of good deal to fellow basenoters. They have Tam Dao and some other Diptyques for the same price.
    Thanks man.

- - - Updated - - -

I still love this stuff. Gorgeous!
    Cool. That made me feel much better bc I just blind bought a few.

I still love this stuff. Gorgeous!

You're welcome.

And I figured it's a safe blind buy since if I don't like it I can give it to my girlfriend, which brings me to a question.

Do you all find this more or less feminine than Spiriteuse Double Vanille?
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

I really enjoyed this one too. I find it to be more masculine than SDV.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Apple Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Eau Duelle isn't sweet at all. It's dry papery vanilla, and is the very definition of unisex.

I wish I could say SDV was, too. I personally like it a lot and think it's the greatest smelling vanilla. But among my female friends, to a woman, they tell me I shouldn't wear it because it's too feminine. I've taken to spraying it on at night when I'm home for the evening because it's such a smoothe, soothing scent.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Eau Duelle isn't sweet at all. It's dry papery vanilla, and is the very definition of unisex.

I wish I could say SDV was, too. I personally like it a lot and think it's the greatest smelling vanilla. But among my female friends, to a woman, they tell me I shouldn't wear it because it's too feminine. I've taken to spraying it on at night when I'm home for the evening because it's such a smoothe, soothing scent.
    I really enjoyed this one too. I find it to be more masculine than SDV.
    Wow you both got me excited about this one because I really enjoy SDV but only on my girlfriend. It's just a bit too feminine for me to pull off/feel comfortable. If Eau Duelle is just a bit more masculine I think it might be my perfect vanilla. Keep in mind I do wear Dior Homme/Intense and have no problem with the slightly fem vibe on those, but SDV is too over the top. Great fragrance though on the right person.

Wow I expected that deal to be gone by now. It's still on! Sweet

me too!!! I got the 1.7 EDT's of Eau Duelle and Do Son at $44 each! I bought them from the reviews I read here...hope it was worth it as a blind buy....I need to stay away from HauteLook...
    “Women waste so much time wearing no perfume. As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!”

― C. JoyBell C.

me too!!! I got the 1.7 EDT's of Eau Duelle and Do Son at $44 each! I bought them from the reviews I read here...hope it was worth it as a blind buy....I need to stay away from HauteLook...
    “Women waste so much time wearing no perfume. As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!”

― C. JoyBell C.

Also worth noting that, at least in their used image, the fragrance comes in the old-style bottle. I've heard rumors that there was a possible reformulation of it, which was accompanied by a new bottle style which is pictured here:

So hopefully (if there was actually a reformulation) we will get the OG juice.
    1) Chergui (Serge Lutens)
    2) Dior Homme Intense
    3) Aventus (Creed)
    4) Allure Homme Sport (Chanel)
    5) La Nuit De l'Homme (YSL)