Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default 1st Post: Looking for unique and obnoxiously strong scents for men.

Hi guys, brand new BaseNoter here. Male: 38 years old. I have cross-referenced every cologne I have ever owned and liked on this site to see if there is a pattern to what I like to wear. 9 out of 10 scents I love, are ‘Oriental/ Spicy’. The remaining 10% are split between leather/tobacco/woods.

That said, I’m looking for suggestions of what to buy next. All I care about for now are colognes that are STRONG, Super potent, perhaps even annoying. Mass longevity, silage, projection, whatever you guys call it, that’s what I want.

I’m the guy that you don’t want to be in the elevator with. I don’t care about ‘Cloying’ or synthetics, not until I mature as a basenoter. For now, I don’t care about top/mid/base notes and dry down. I am like a typical American that thinks Bud Light is beer. I am going for effect and response.

I humbly ask for this community to suggest frags that are unique, and potent and perhaps polarizing. Even if you don’t like them.
    Smells I like now:
    Joop
    JPG Le Male
    Dolce and Gabanna
    Fahrenheit (Don’t like it really but it fits my qualifications)
    Fahrenheit Absolute (absolutely love this, nobody wears it, my n00b brain might be partial to oud and violet and it’s potent)
    Dark Temptation (Axe body Spray)
    Azzaro Chrome (Nice and stinky even tho not an oriental/spice)

Please stereotype me and suggest things to me. I trust the connoisseurs of the Base Note community and I eagerly await the days when I can appreciate the accord and dry down of fragrances, until then---MAKE MY EYES BURN

P.S. i just did a blind buy of 1 Million and M7, hopefully I like those.
    Last edited by MakeMyEyesBurn; 18th January 2011 at 07:42 AM.

Default Re: 1st Post: Looking for unique and obnoxiously strong scents for men.

Kouros

A*Men

welcome ....
    do check out the Powerhouse Lovers Group ..
    some that are hard to find & rarely mentioned , but are insanely powerfull are ....
    Balestra PH
    Lancetti Uomo

more common ones that will get mentioned are
    Lapidus PH
    Kouros
    Ambre Sultan
    Black Aoud

cheers

Terre d'Hermes by Hermes
    Egoiste by Chanel
    Bijan for Men by Bijan

Welcome!

Fendi Uomo, Francesco Smalto pour Homme might also be worth considering
    Currently wearing: April Violets by Yardley

Welcome!

+1 Montale * Black Aoud, YSL * Kouros, Lapidus PH
    MPG * Parfum D´Habit
    Bogart * Pour Homme, Arabian Nights
    Currently wearing: No. 89 by Floris

Im in the United States: Is A*MEN the same as Angel for Men?

Narciso Rodriguez For Him

Antaeus

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
    Narciso Rodriguez For Him
    Musc Collection EdP

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMyEyesBurn View Post
    Im in the United States: Is A*MEN the same as Angel for Men?
    yessir

Opium Homme EDP
    Dior Homme Intense
    Currently wearing: No. 89 by Floris

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    A*Men
    If you like that you will also like Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. (Both are Mega Blech to my nose, though....).

Wow guys, Thank you. You guys have spent my next few paychecks in a matter of 15 minutes. Thanks for the fast responses.

+1 for Lapidus Pour Homme and Kouros.

I will suggest Sashka Man by M. Micallef (black, egg-shaped bottle). This stuff is an absolute sinus rocket, hyper-masculine in the 70's / 80's style (although I understand it debuted in 1997) with nuclear sillage. It smells like something Borat would wear. That said, I like the stuff. I can't decide if it is obnoxious and offensive, or extremely smooth and sexy. Or both. Best part is, a 100 ml. bottle can be had for $12 US.

Another from the line worth checking out, one that I actually prefer to Sashka Man (although not as potent), is Sashka for Him (amber-colored juice), also at $12 US for 100 ml. bottle. You can read about it here (Sashka Man also gets a mention):

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...ashka-for.html

P.S. These are both EDP and, last I checked, can easily be found online.
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 18th January 2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Currently wearing: Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Most of the scents from Amouage has atomic power..

Sur la Plage

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme = most obnoxious
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Not really favourites of mine but CDG Luxe Patchouli & Nasomatto Duro both spring to mind as "obnoxiously strong" and yet still have some discerning fans here.

Someone mentioned Tobacco Vanille - that might be closer to what you are looking for

I think M7 could certainly fit the bill. Let us know how you like it. But other ones

Thierry Mugler A*Men- Yeah, certainly will get the job done
    Givenchy Very Irresistible- kinda like A*men, but with hazelnut
    Montale Steam Aoud- The only Montale I've tried, but it certainly got people's attention
    Quorum- nasty biker leather type frag. Should probably be outlawed.
    Polo and Drakkar Noir would also be good old school frags to knock people over with.

Angel Men - Strong
    Kouros - Strong

Angel Pure Malt - Unique

Sables - Unique AND Strong
    Tobacco Vanille - Unique AND Strong

Profumum's Fumidus. Definitely try this one. A totally in your face tobacco scent. You will smell like John Wayne masculinity sauntering into a smoky saloon. Obnoxious and wonderful. I am a woman and would love to be able to wear this w/o raising eyebrows. Alas, I only wear it at home. It might also be interesting to see how it layers with other scents.

You might also want to try L'Air du desert marocain by Andy Tauer. Not really obnoxious, but unique, strong, and a bit exotic. (This I can wear out of the house!)

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Try Versace The Dreamer. Potent and can be annoying to others.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Prince Diamini attar by Arabian Oud. The very definition of Oriental/Spicy, stunningly beautiful, as unique as it gets and superbly blended. It has multi-megaton sillage and the approximate halflife equal to that of Uranium-238 (well, not quite 4.5 Billion years, but you get the idea). If you get some on your shirt, you will still smell it for days. Even after a wash. Anything more than one nano-drop and the projection will clear an average high-school gym.

This is my ultimate non-oud fragrance reserved for the days when I am not particularly concerned about whether my scent aura might inconvenience anybody, but just want to enjoy an intoxicatingly beautiful and unapologetically powerful fragrance. The down side - it's very difficult to find (Zahra's may be the only place in North America that carries it, if they still do, that is) and is uber-expensive.

Roger & Gallet Santal (discontinued, but you can find it on the internet)

What you want is Furyo by Bogart.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Patricia de Nicolaï Patchouli Homme

Obnoxious is a subjective term, but Malle's Noir Epices is certainly unique and strong.

Blog Entries

Montale...anything!
    Tobacco Vanille
    1 Million
    JOOP! Homme
    A*Men

get those and go plow people over!