Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 1st Post: Looking for unique and obnoxiously strong scents for men.

Hi guys, brand new BaseNoter here. Male: 38 years old. I have cross-referenced every cologne I have ever owned and liked on this site to see if there is a pattern to what I like to wear. 9 out of 10 scents I love, are ‘Oriental/ Spicy’. The remaining 10% are split between leather/tobacco/woods.

That said, I’m looking for suggestions of what to buy next. All I care about for now are colognes that are STRONG, Super potent, perhaps even annoying. Mass longevity, silage, projection, whatever you guys call it, that’s what I want.

I’m the guy that you don’t want to be in the elevator with. I don’t care about ‘Cloying’ or synthetics, not until I mature as a basenoter. For now, I don’t care about top/mid/base notes and dry down. I am like a typical American that thinks Bud Light is beer. I am going for effect and response.

I humbly ask for this community to suggest frags that are unique, and potent and perhaps polarizing. Even if you don’t like them.
    Smells I like now:
    Joop
    JPG Le Male
    Dolce and Gabanna
    Fahrenheit (Don’t like it really but it fits my qualifications)
    Fahrenheit Absolute (absolutely love this, nobody wears it, my n00b brain might be partial to oud and violet and it’s potent)
    Dark Temptation (Axe body Spray)
    Azzaro Chrome (Nice and stinky even tho not an oriental/spice)

Please stereotype me and suggest things to me. I trust the connoisseurs of the Base Note community and I eagerly await the days when I can appreciate the accord and dry down of fragrances, until then---MAKE MY EYES BURN

P.S. i just did a blind buy of 1 Million and M7, hopefully I like those.
    Last edited by MakeMyEyesBurn; 18th January 2011 at 07:42 AM.

Default Re: 1st Post: Looking for unique and obnoxiously strong scents for men.

Kouros

A*Men

welcome ....
    do check out the Powerhouse Lovers Group ..
    some that are hard to find & rarely mentioned , but are insanely powerfull are ....
    Balestra PH
    Lancetti Uomo

more common ones that will get mentioned are
    Lapidus PH
    Kouros
    Ambre Sultan
    Black Aoud

cheers

Terre d'Hermes by Hermes
    Egoiste by Chanel
    Bijan for Men by Bijan

Welcome!

Fendi Uomo, Francesco Smalto pour Homme might also be worth considering

Welcome!

+1 Montale * Black Aoud, YSL * Kouros, Lapidus PH
    MPG * Parfum D┤Habit
    Bogart * Pour Homme, Arabian Nights

Im in the United States: Is A*MEN the same as Angel for Men?

Narciso Rodriguez For Him

Antaeus

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
    Narciso Rodriguez For Him
    Musc Collection EdP

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMyEyesBurn View Post
    Im in the United States: Is A*MEN the same as Angel for Men?
    yessir

Opium Homme EDP
    Dior Homme Intense

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    A*Men
    If you like that you will also like Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. (Both are Mega Blech to my nose, though....).

Wow guys, Thank you. You guys have spent my next few paychecks in a matter of 15 minutes. Thanks for the fast responses.

+1 for Lapidus Pour Homme and Kouros.

I will suggest Sashka Man by M. Micallef (black, egg-shaped bottle). This stuff is an absolute sinus rocket, hyper-masculine in the 70's / 80's style (although I understand it debuted in 1997) with nuclear sillage. It smells like something Borat would wear. That said, I like the stuff. I can't decide if it is obnoxious and offensive, or extremely smooth and sexy. Or both. Best part is, a 100 ml. bottle can be had for $12 US.

Another from the line worth checking out, one that I actually prefer to Sashka Man (although not as potent), is Sashka for Him (amber-colored juice), also at $12 US for 100 ml. bottle. You can read about it here (Sashka Man also gets a mention):

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...ashka-for.html

P.S. These are both EDP and, last I checked, can easily be found online.
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 18th January 2011 at 10:43 AM.

Most of the scents from Amouage has atomic power..

Sur la Plage

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme = most obnoxious
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Not really favourites of mine but CDG Luxe Patchouli & Nasomatto Duro both spring to mind as "obnoxiously strong" and yet still have some discerning fans here.

Someone mentioned Tobacco Vanille - that might be closer to what you are looking for

I think M7 could certainly fit the bill. Let us know how you like it. But other ones

Thierry Mugler A*Men- Yeah, certainly will get the job done
    Givenchy Very Irresistible- kinda like A*men, but with hazelnut
    Montale Steam Aoud- The only Montale I've tried, but it certainly got people's attention
    Quorum- nasty biker leather type frag. Should probably be outlawed.
    Polo and Drakkar Noir would also be good old school frags to knock people over with.

Angel Men - Strong
    Kouros - Strong

Angel Pure Malt - Unique

Sables - Unique AND Strong
    Tobacco Vanille - Unique AND Strong

Profumum's Fumidus. Definitely try this one. A totally in your face tobacco scent. You will smell like John Wayne masculinity sauntering into a smoky saloon. Obnoxious and wonderful. I am a woman and would love to be able to wear this w/o raising eyebrows. Alas, I only wear it at home. It might also be interesting to see how it layers with other scents.

You might also want to try L'Air du desert marocain by Andy Tauer. Not really obnoxious, but unique, strong, and a bit exotic. (This I can wear out of the house!)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Try Versace The Dreamer. Potent and can be annoying to others.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Prince Diamini attar by Arabian Oud. The very definition of Oriental/Spicy, stunningly beautiful, as unique as it gets and superbly blended. It has multi-megaton sillage and the approximate halflife equal to that of Uranium-238 (well, not quite 4.5 Billion years, but you get the idea). If you get some on your shirt, you will still smell it for days. Even after a wash. Anything more than one nano-drop and the projection will clear an average high-school gym.

This is my ultimate non-oud fragrance reserved for the days when I am not particularly concerned about whether my scent aura might inconvenience anybody, but just want to enjoy an intoxicatingly beautiful and unapologetically powerful fragrance. The down side - it's very difficult to find (Zahra's may be the only place in North America that carries it, if they still do, that is) and is uber-expensive.

Roger & Gallet Santal (discontinued, but you can find it on the internet)

What you want is Furyo by Bogart.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Patricia de Nicola´ Patchouli Homme

Obnoxious is a subjective term, but Malle's Noir Epices is certainly unique and strong.

Blog Entries

Montale...anything!
    Tobacco Vanille
    1 Million
    JOOP! Homme
    A*Men

get those and go plow people over!

Be sure to overspray, overspray, and then overspray.

A*Men
    Tobacco Vanille
    Montale; Oriental Dreams, Red Aoud, among many others

Or, look into middle eastern perfumes which are much cheaper and stronger, Zahra's Boutique sells a huge collection
    Sayed Junaid is a cheap house with many power houses.

Just reading through this thread has really made me realise that so many of the strongest, most long lasting scents out there also happen to be the most horrid smelling. Yet the ones I love myself, almost always seem to suffer from lack of strength.

I find scents like Lapidus, A*Men, Le Male and Kouros especially, to be utterly revolting, but I have to agree that they really are true powerhouses.

Boucheron PH sure is a piledriver.

Black Aoud

You have many fragrances to sample so I'll just say hello and welcome to Basenotes!!!
    Gary

Another vote for A*Men. Definitely the strongest out of my collection.
    One spray will project like crazy. The most I do is two, and that's when I go clubbing.

Terre d'Hermes, vintage Fahrenheit

Amouage Gold will strip the mucus membranes from your nostrils for the first half hour of wearing.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Another vote for MPG Parfum d'Habit. I enjoy this scent, but it is without any flowery notes and has strong sillage.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

You want loud and obnoxious? You ought to try layering different frags. A true room-clearer would be Kouros+Lapidus Pour Homme+Bijan Man+Quorum. You'll kill nearby plants and pets with that combo.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Hi Makemyeyesburn, this is a little off topic, but I was wondering if you could recommend some really obnoxious music that I can crank up really loud to disturb my neighbors with. No, they've never done anything wrong to me-- they're actually nice people, but I'm just a really narcissistic kind of person with an oversized "personality" and I want to insert myself into other people's lives in the most abrasive way that I can.

Honestly, I don't care what music is good. Who's got time for that sh*t? Hell, I just usually walk up to a jukebox and play the songs with the longest running times I can find-- I'll play "Paradise By the Dashboard Light" 10 times in a row, just so nobody else gets to play any of their songs-- and it's a better value for the buck than playing 10 really good 2-3 minute tunes that people might want to hear.

Also, I don't believe in headphones either-- I'm the kind of guy who likes to set my smartphone on the table in a restaurant and crank up that sweet, sweet hip-hop though the tiny, tinny little speakers as I eat my meal, regardless of whoever may be sitting at tables around me trying to enjoy their meals in peace and quiet. If they don't like it, they're just not hip enough.

Cheers!

Indie Makemyearsbleed Guy

PS: Versace Blue Jeans

obnoxiously strong!

Genghis Khan by Marc de la Morandiere - strongest fragrance I've tried. I heard about it here on BNotes from hednic (I think).

Knize Ten - uber strong leather scent - a classic.

Black Aoud by Montale - very strong masculine rose oud fragrance. You must enjoy rose to like this one, but it is very good.

Kolnisch Juchten by Regence - strong but smoothe leather scent.

Givenchy Gentleman - a strong but respectable masculine patchouli oriental fragrance.

A little more than off-topic but this entire thread is a satire.

A*Men.

Quote Originally Posted by inscents View Post
    A little more than off-topic but this entire thread is a satire.

A*Men.
    I would hope so but I am amazed at how often this same type of question arises. And the psoters are serious.

Well, I did ask to be stereotyped, and I must say, you did a fine job.

I actually play in a band, and the reason I'm looking for powerhouses, was for what I would wear on stage for club gigs, not to disturb people at movies and dinner. I noticed some of my favorite singers would layer it on pretty deep. Perhaps because they may not have showered in 2 days, perhaps, but mostly when they meet ladies right after a show. One famous singer told me that since the sense of smell is most associated with memory, he was 'locking' himself in the female fans' minds.

PS: Dickies Jeans (Black)

when you say "obnoxiously strong" the first thing that comes to my mind is Bijan, unwearable for me

Well, I did ask to be stereotyped, and I must say, you did a fine job.

I actually play in a band, and the reason I'm looking for powerhouses, was for what I would wear on stage for club gigs, not to disturb people at movies and dinner. I noticed some of my favorite singers would layer it on pretty deep. Perhaps because they may not have showered in 2 days, perhaps, but mostly when they meet ladies right after a show. One famous singer told me that since the sense of smell is most associated with memory, he was 'locking' himself in the female fans' minds.

MakeMyEyesBurn,

A few years ago, I was singing and playing guitars/keys in a band and I used to always reach for Helmut Lang's Cuiron when I had a show. It's leathery and to me, it smelled like the image I wanted to project. Sadly, it's discontinued and expensive on eBAY. Great stuff for stagewear IMO.

I also used to wear Yves Saint Laurent's Body Kouros to shows and girls seemed to like that one as well.

I think you might want to focus on unique scents first, as opposed to obnoxiously strong scents. Are you a singer as well? One of the problems that can arise for a singer is if you wear too strong of an application of the wrong scent, it can give you a stuffy nose and close your vocal palate and make you sound very nasal. It's just something to keep in mind. Perhaps you can keep a mini vial of whatever scent you want to wear on your person or nearby and then apply/reapply after the show. That's what I would do.

Some scents that I would recommend:

Santa Maria Novella-- Nostalgia. Nostalgia smells like the leathery seats of an Italian sportscar. It's got a nice sweetness too and women love it. I was dating a bondage model for a while-- really a sexually focused woman-- and Nostalgia always got her motor running. She also loved Terre D'Hermes and John Varvatos Vintage-- I recommend both of those as well. For me, all three of these scents have great longevity and sillage.

You might also like Comme des Garšons Series 5: Synthetic--Skai. It smells like burned paper and vinyl records-- it always made me think of music. Also a strong one.

I was serious about Versace Blue Jeans as well. It has a loud personality even when you just put a little on.

Now that I know what kind of setting you're trying to work within, I have some more suggestions you may want to research:

Caron "L'Anarchiste
    Salvador Dali Pour Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent- M7
    Lalique-- Encre Noire
    Versace--Black Jeans ( not joking about this one-- it gives me a "rock music" vibe)

Hope you find something good-- just don't forget that if you like a scent but find that it's not as strong as you like, you can always refresh as needed.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    MakeMyEyesBurn,

Hope you find something good-- just don't forget that if you like a scent but find that it's not as strong as you like, you can always refresh as needed.

Good luck!
    TY soo much Indie- I have been following your reviews of scents on BN for over a year actually. You are single-handedly the reason I finally joined BN. Kinda cool that my 1st post ever was replied to by you. I think I have a new hobby now.

TY soo much Indie- I have been following your reviews of scents on BN for over a year actually. You are single-handedly the reason I finally joined BN. Kinda cool that my 1st post ever was replied to by you. I think I have a new hobby now.
    Great to hear-- I'm really flattered too! I hope my first response to this thread didn't make you think I was being a dick-- I'm just a firm believer in wearing the right amount of juice for the situation; and now that you've revealed your situation of wanting a fragrance for onstage wear, it makes a hell of a lot of sense.

I'm glad to see that you're getting into this hobby-- it can be a lot of fun and it can be a money pit, but I think it's worth it. Actually, to let you in on something-- I've been working on developing my own fragrance line for a few years. I don't know when I'll be ready to launch it because it takes me forever to do anything. One of the scents that I'm working on has kind of a rock music concept. Can't say too much about it right now, but it's going to be an exciting concept and I can't wait to see it through to completion. Another scent that I have finished is one I created for myself and it's possibly something you might like for wearing on stage. Its very unique and noticeable-- I get comments on it wherever I go. Girls come and stand by me and I've had guys ask what it is that I'm wearing and where it can be purchased. I still want to tweak the formula a little, though really I shouldn't, since I'm getting compliments on it. Well, hopefully, in a year or so I'll be ready to launch some of this stuff and I'll keep you posted.

Ok, gotta go run some errands. Have a good day, good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

Cheers

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Damn! Based on the selections listed I must be pissing off a large segment of the population much of the time.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Very informative thread

If you want to sample st other than Spicy Orientals, try these strong Gourmand fragrances. : )

Jacomo Rouge by Jacomo --Red Licorice

Animale Animale-- the first Gourmand
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Dependent

Just wanted to revive this thread and mention that Versace Blue Jeans is a fragrance recommendation, not an apparel one

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Just wanted to revive this thread and mention that Versace Blue Jeans is a fragrance recommendation, not an apparel one
    Thank you for clearing that up.

Sorry, I don't understand. Why is everybody so willing to help someone be obnoxious? And not just obnoxious, but outright hazardous to other people's health? No, I'm not just talking about the brutal migraines some people get from too much perfume (though that's not a trivial thing to put someone through); I'm talking real jeopardy. Asthma can and does kill people. My brother wound up in the ER one afternoon because one self-involved young woman in his office flatly refused to stick to a reasonable or even only mildly excessive amount of scent; the ER doc said the resulting asthma attack could easily have taken him out. Seems to me it's not worth that to make sure everybody in the entire building can smell me. YMMV, but. . . . damn.

Sorry about your brother, and everything you say about asthma is right, it kills people everyday.The op did say that he was going to wear it at club gigs with his band, not necessarily to be an asshole in an office.

Ah, okay, sorry, hadn't read every post yet. Don't forget, though, a hot sweaty bod in motion--and I can well remember from my own performing days how hot a singer with a bigass guitar gets!--diffuses scent awfully well, so if it's a small club, it's still something to think about. And anyway, I'm guessing he'll have to go through the crowd to get to the bar, the loo, the cute girls/guys, and/or the exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Zinnia View Post
    Ah, okay, sorry, hadn't read every post yet. Don't forget, though, a hot sweaty bod in motion--and I can well remember from my own performing days how hot a singer with a bigass guitar gets!--diffuses scent awfully well, so if it's a small club, it's still something to think about. And anyway, I'm guessing he'll have to go through the crowd to get to the bar, the loo, the cute girls/guys, and/or the exit.
    Well it looks like this guy tried his dumb experiment, and it probably made him so sick that he never came back here for advice again.

I also think it would be time for a Montale Aoud scent - for example Aoud Safran or Black Aoud which IMHO are ridiculously potent.