Code of Conduct

Question MPG Iris Bleu Gris - Talk to me about this one.

I'm looking for the ultimate iris fragrance. I've tried Iris Silver Mist, and I love it, but it feels a bit too subtle and I feel that I should be patient and keep my fingers crossed that this will end up in the limited export line like Cuir Mauresque (and others) before I PayPal a contact in Paris to pick me up a bell jar of this...

How is Iris Bleu Gris from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier? Is it a realistic iris? Is there something better?

Talk to me.

Default Re: MPG Iris Bleu Gris - Talk to me about this one.

There is nothing better. At least nothing I've tried. I haven't tried Iris Silver Mist, so properly speaking I can't help you, but...

...oh man, for me IBG is the greatest iris there is. I like Hiris a LOT, but wear it instead of IBG just so I don't use up my IBG. IBG is soft, powdery, chilly iris. It isn't carroty like Hiris, it's just...the best iris I've ever encountered and perhaps the best floral because of that perfection.

It is dreamy.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I tried it years ago when it came in the vintage 90ml bottle. I don't know how it smells like now. It's a light green soapy iris. I liked it a lot, and it was one of my favorite MPG's, but I found it slightly formal smelling. I recommend trying it.

You might also want to look into the EdT of Dior Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I tried it years ago when it came in the vintage 90ml bottle. I don't know how it smells like now. It's a light green soapy iris. I liked it a lot, and it was one of my favorite MPG's, but I found it slightly formal smelling. I recommend trying it.

You might also want to look into the EdT of Dior Homme.
    Yes, I think it is very formal smelling too. Mine is the 90ml bottle as well. Never smelled another bottle or sample.

Pretty true to its representation of iris IMO.

I prefer it to Iris Silver Mist, which I rate highly. As noted above, it's slightly formal, but not so much so that it can't be worn whenever you want. It's a realistic iris, and quite green, too. One of MPG's best releases.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    ...IBG is soft, powdery, chilly iris.
    I've been curious about IBG for a long time now but have still not sampled it. This description sounds exactly like how I would describe L'Heure Bleu...would you say IBG has much in common with L'Heure Bleu?
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

You might also want to try Bois d'Iris from The Different Company. There's more going on than just iris, but it's my favorite iris-prominent fragrance. Unbelievably for an iris lover like myself, I haven't yet tried IBG so can't comment on its greatness, but it sure looks like it has many fans.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

L'Heure Bleue is part confection and has that doughy aspect. Iris Bleu Gris is very dry, somewhat green and a bit sharp compared to Dior Homme or L'HB. And I like DustB's word 'chilly' for it.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Chilly would be an adjective I am looking for.

I have an ancient bottle of LHB, the one with the flower top that has just a bit of juice in it. I just opened it and smelled it. Ah yes, there is most definitely an iris!

Looks like you can get a bottle of IBG, 3.4 oz from Aedes for $120. That would probably last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    I've been curious about IBG for a long time now but have still not sampled it. This description sounds exactly like how I would describe L'Heure Bleu...would you say IBG has much in common with L'Heure Bleu?
    Hey there Arlecchino. I'm really glad you asked about this comparison because now I'm going to have to delve into both scents in the next few days. But my initial answer is that no, I really don't pick them to be alike except that one can smell iris in both. I would not have mentally made the connection between the two if you hadn't brought them together with this question--that's how different I find them.

IBG is more mono, more straight, more linear, more direct. I don't mean any of those words in a negative way, I only want to take advantage of their describing ability. L'Heure Bleue is...hmmm....more of nature, more complex, more damp undergrowth, and cold in a way that doesn't seem as powdery as IBG does. At least to me. I'll really have to do some sniffing. These two are two absolute masterpieces.

IBG is not the classic iris fragrance you might expect. Made back in 98, it has a thick, oily, textured quality, combined with sweet, sour and green notes. It leaves you with a |green leather" sensation. This |thick" quality may bring Dior Homme in ind but IBG is a lot less sweet. And a lot less lipsticky. It is one of my favourite irises, together with ISM and L' Homme de Coeur. I believe those three fragrances cover the entire spectrum of roles that we have seen iris in perfume compositions. Fives stars from me.
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

Off-Scenter

I agree that Iris Bleu Gris has a formal elegance about it. In its vintage formula it is my first choice among iris scents: a cool, exquisitely balanced dry green chypre with a touch of suede and a big, rooty, realistic iris note. Just don't be fooled by the off-putting bitter top notes. See my review here for more.

Blog Entries

One of the better unisex fragrances, IMO. You may get a kick out of my take on it here;
    http://www.basenotes.net/blogs/2645-...iris+bleu+gris
    Although I also adore ISM. The two are very different.
    I'd say it depends on how much you enjoy vetiver with your iris.
    Iris Silver Mist is much softer, as you said.
    http://www.basenotes.net/entries/870...urday-10-April
    Last edited by kumquat; 19th January 2011 at 09:17 PM.

Basenotes Institution

calero - you find Iris Silver Mist subtle? Really!?

I like Iris Bleu Gris. I have only smelled the 'new' juice and I would classify it as an aromatic/floral iris. Very rough, and very sharp its iris notes sort of creep up out of a fizzy fog of other rough notes. When they finally arrive in their full glory, they have a green sharpness that never fails to make me feel like I'm wearing a more modern version of No. 19 by Chanel. The Chanel has a bit more bite (due to the aldehydes) and of course it has vetiver - elements that are missing in the MPG.

Still, it has this wonderful cold, hissy feel to it, that if I'm in the right mood for can really hit the spot.

The other day I realized that when I go swimming in the pool in my gym, and take a shower afterwards, that the smell of IBG mixes perfectly with my chlorine-soaked, freshly washed skin.

Nonetheless, I can still remember the absolute SHOCK that I had on my face, the first time that I smelled this. It's not easy to love, right away - that's for sure.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th January 2011 at 10:00 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

@ mikeperez23--

I only have a little sample vial of ISM, perhaps if I sprayed it rather than dabbed it on the results would be different. I wore it a few weeks ago, and it really just felt kind of like a quiet fragrance, but I really enjoyed it. I will re-evaluate it soon.

@ cpk ---
    L' Homme de Coeur is excellent! I really think Divine Parfums are waayyyyyyyyyyyy under-rated!

Well, I suppose I'm going to have to go the Perfumed Court route and get a sample of Iris Bleu Gris...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    @ mikeperez23--

I only have a little sample vial of ISM, perhaps if I sprayed it rather than dabbed it on the results would be different. I wore it a few weeks ago, and it really just felt kind of like a quiet fragrance, but I really enjoyed it. I will re-evaluate it soon....
    Yes, please do.

If I had to pick between ISM and IBG I would easily pick ISM. It's just the BEST iris I've ever smelled/owned. It has this pure, magnified, shimmer to it that is unparalleled. Of course you have to like it's dirt/root/carrot like middle note (I do) to enjoy it's charm, but honestly this stuff is very strong on my skin and easily lasts an entire day when I wore it.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I enjoyed the earthy/carrot accord in ISM as well.

Wonder what the chances are that it would ever make it to the limited export line?

I've never smelled ISM, but IBG is definitely not too subtle - no worries there! While I'm not a huge iris fan and prefer my iris blended with many other notes, like in Cuir Ottoman and Dzonghka, I would say that IBG is essential for any man who is heavily into iris fragrances to sample.

@ Tonyprince ---- the iris and leather in Cuir Ottoman is fantastic. I just got a bottle of it last week. Big thumbs up!

I'm always amazed at the descriptions of IBG, because my sample (purchased from TPC), is truly putrid stuff. I sincerely hope it's off, but it's incredibly dirty, with a heavy dose of cumin (or similar note). I like iris, but NOT in IBG.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I'm always amazed at the descriptions of IBG, because my sample (purchased from TPC), is truly putrid stuff. I sincerely hope it's off, but it's incredibly dirty, with a heavy dose of cumin (or similar note). I like iris, but NOT in IBG.
    IBG dirty? IBG and...cumin? My good sir, a mistake at the sample's point of origin has occurred.

Just put in my sample order for IBG, but instead of going the Perfumed Court route, I'm going through Aedes. I asked for 2 samples of it, hopefully they will fill my order! I also requested The Different Company's Bois d'Iris and a few other things. The Different Company's BDI looks like it will be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    IBG dirty? IBG and...cumin? My good sir, a mistake at the sample's point of origin has occurred.
    I thought so. Are there any other irises in which IBG is comparable. I've tried quite a few, so perhaps if I have a frame of reference I can compare them.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

FWIW my iris frag of the moment is VC&A Bois d'Iris from their Extraordinaire Collection.

A modern take of iris over white smoke and woods.

The love IBG has received on this thread has inspired me to seek a sample.

Cheers, J

I can easily understand why people find this "dirty". If you expect a soapy, powdery, airy iris you could say this is dirty. Iti is actually the combination of tart green notes and something leathery in ther that could be called "dirty". If you are familiar with Parfum d' Habit, I think there is a lot in common in the base of those two scents.

I've only tried the newest version - it's a fantastic iris scent, but dries down to a laundry musk smell that was a deal breaker for me. I just can't deal with that smell, even if (as in this case) it's subtle.

It depends what you want from iris, Iris silver mist isn't floral but has the richiest iris rhizom notes.
    Iris bleu gris is the floral aspect with "freshness", not really my cup of tea.
    Instead ISM (the ultimate for iris rooth) there also is Artisan parfumeur - Iris padilla is a blend of the iris flowers and rhizoms but still fresh wich i don't like but it's a good frag.

Iris Pallida is amazing! Unfortunately so is its price...

I have been rediscovering Iris Bleu Gris after rotating it to the fore.

I missed the leathery feeling of this scent. A floral with a creamy, leathery feel, although leather is not a note.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

This is Iris root. It is not iris flower. It is dark and mossy.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    This is Iris root. It is not iris flower. It is dark and mossy.
    Thank you for the correction. I am picking up a lot of leather-like notes.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.