Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrances: Tokyo Milk Dark Collection

From nstperfume.com:

Tokyo Milk has launched the Dark collection, comprising 8 new fragrances:

Arsenic ~ with absinthe, vanilla salt, cut greens and fennel.

Bittersweet ~ with cake flour, dark cacao bean, osmanthus and bronzed musk.

Bulletproof ~ with smoked tea, coconut milk, cedar and ebony wood.

Crushed ~ with earth, moss, herbs, wild grass and jasmine.

Everything & Nothing ~ with sweet orange, petals, desert moss and tea leaves.

Excess ~ with amber, oak, blood orange and patchouli.

La Vie La Mort ~ with tuberose, cardamom, hibiscus leaf and jasmine.

Tainted Love ~ with vanilla, orchid, white tea and sandalwood.

The Tokyo Milk Dark fragrances are available in 56 g Eau de Parfum, $36 each, or matching lip elixir.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Fragrances: Tokyo Milk Dark Collection

Wow, these are good looking bottles!
    I am not too familiar with the line, only tried Honey and the Moon so I am not sure how the fragrances will be...

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Wow, these are good looking bottles!
    I am not too familiar with the line, only tried Honey and the Moon so I am not sure how the fragrances will be...
    I really like Dead Sexy 06 from their original releases. Hopefully there is at least one winner in this bunch.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Great bottles for sure.....If the fragrance is as good as the bottles they have a winner!!!
    Gary

Basenotes Plus

Tainted Love sounds pretty good. I've not even heard of this line before, I'm going to have to look into trying some. Thanks for the heads up Joe!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Exciting! I enjoy this line. I especially love how affordable they are.

Basenotes Institution

They look Halloween-oriented, no?

The notes for Bittersweet sound yummy.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Tainted Love and Arsenic stands out for me, very nice.

Basenotes Plus

I'd like to try La Vie la Mort and Tainted Love. Thanks for the article Joe!

Wow, most of them look like they're worth trying. I still need to look into their older stuff too. I wish all companies would slow down though. It's nice but all this new stuff is getting to be overwhelming.

Thanks for the post Joe. I have one of the older fragrances in this line (Eden 03: fresh greens, cassis, white iris, bronzed musk) and will look into the darks.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

I guess no one has sampled these yet, what a shame.

There are a few more releases from this line I stumbled on tonight. I purchase rollers for (they did not have the spray bottles) Tomorrow (notes: mineral salt, marine, cypress, white moss) and Destiny (notes: fresh cut ginger, honeysuckle, davana and midnight jasmine). Tomorrow is very dark, incensey salty and bizarre. It sort of reminds me of the oil China Rain, but not mellow or happy or hippy at all. Destiny is very dark, New Orleans graveyard like. Dank and sweet with the yummiest drop of rum. Its a little sweet and a little rotten and trust me, its wonderful.

There were a few others I tried: Yesterday, Wisdom, Chance, and I can't recall the rest. These came in vials, extremely good looking vials. If you Google Tokyo Milk Dark Vial you can see pics. They are black, thin, cigar like rollers in the same style as the perfume bottle, encased in corked glass vials. It makes you think of something vampiric from the 1800's, like they contain some kind of sacred elixir. I think this may be the best packaging for perfume I have ever seen. I have 6 scents from the original Tokyo Milk line and also enjoy this line for its uniqueness and affordability. I also tried the lotion for Bullet Proof and La Vie La Mort, Bittersweet and Crushed. The store I was at only had the lotion rather than scents for those.

After many samplings, my sense of smell had dulled a little, but as soon as I walked out of the door and hit the fresh night air, which was befittingly moist and misty, the most amazing dark casket like smell wafted up and grabbed me. If you like Black Orchid for that reason, well, these kick its ass. Personally I can't handle Black Orchid, I think its overly sweet, synthetic and cheap smelling. These are luxurious. Like the scent is cloaking you with intoxicating sweet promise of something dark but irresistible.

I encourage you to try these if you come across them. Even blind buy. Literally everything I tried was good, there are just some scents I prefer more than others. There is something about them, especially Tomorrow, that reminds me of being a teenager 90's, listening to Siouxie and the Banshees and burning incense in my room, reading Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite. But I promise, while nostalgic, these are also definitely sophisticated. For me, this line is a major winner. I hope you enjoy as well.

**On a side note, I have seen Tainted Love before, and it did not have the same packaging and I do not believe it is part of the Dark collection. I also don't recall being too impressed with it.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it."
    Marilyn Monroe

Basenotes Member

I purchased a bottle of Tokyo Milk - Tainted Love from Klein`s Perfumery here in Melbourne Australia.
    I absolutely love the scent! Very vanilla tabacco smelling without being too sweet and overbearing. Highly recommended!
    I will try the Bittersweet next time i visit the store.

I tried the entire range of Tokyo Milk from a boutique shop in down town Auckland the other day. They have no 100ml bottles. All of them are slightly less than 50ml in capacity. Beautiful bottles though.

These three are probably the ones I'm going to invest in.

Arsenic - Absinthe, Vanilla Salt, Cut Greens, Crushed Fennel

Excess - Amber Resin, Oak Bark, Blood Orange, Patchouli

Tainted Love - Dark Vanilla Bean, Orchid, White Tea, Sandalwood

Basenotes Member

I have been wearing Tainted Love lately and have really been enjoying it! Highly recommend it

Banned
    Blog Entries

The bottles are keen and sleek and even protect the juice inside: matte black with white lettering and titanium-like caps.

Even more importantly, the perfumes are quite good, IMNSHO, although the longevity is not the best. Nonetheless, I think that if these were tested blind no one would be able to guess the ridiculously low price.

(No, I'm not a shill.)

Anymore comments on the scents?

The bottles have an ELdO sort-of feel to them, mixed with a BPAL sensibility.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I just ordered 5 samples of this collection:

Excess
    La Vie La Mort
    Bulletproof
    Everything & Nothing
    Tainted Love (or I think it was Crushed)

I will report back. To "calibrate" your expectations, the two scents I currently wear:

AOS Sandalwood (everyday scent)
    Bois du Portugal

And I just ordered a sample of 1903 because I think I might like it.

Blog Entries

I tried Excess today,and its lovely. I might have bought it, but for the fact after ten minutes it smelled too much like my signature Coromandel. Hell of a lot cheaper though. And if you love patchouli, like me, then that's all i'm smelling now. That may be because i sampled 2 other fragances ( Royal Apothic Terra Firma and Japonesque) so only the strongest note of the Excess is still apparent.

Maybe i'll go back and try some of the other Darks.

queen of the universe

Looks intriguing AND affordable, unless I buy too many! Arsenic interests me for the absinthe note. Just the other night I was sipping Pernod out of the freezer straight up whilst wearing Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum Parfum de Soir. It was a luscious gustatory/olfactory combo.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a sample of Bulletproof and have worn it several times. Not half bad, but the coconut milk note that makes it also ruins it. Very cedary or coffin-smelling but not really outstanding. I could see other mixes but in the same style being very compelling though. It needed more top note lightness or balance. Overall the line seems to be of good quality at least, having sniffed several others in passing but not wearing, Excess stood out.