Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a sharp citrus fresh/sport type scent.

Hello everyone, this is my first post, but I've really enjoyed reading the forum and all of the great reviews here on basenotes.

I am pretty new to the fragrance hobby and am looking for some help on finding a certain type of scent. I tend to wear the sweet, gourmand type orientals in the winter (Angel Men and Blue Sugar are my favs). But in the warmer months, I really like fresh/aquatic/sport type scents. I actually tend to really enjoy the sport type scents (I already know many here hate those. Sorry).

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a couple of more scents for the upcoming warmer months and was hoping for some advice. Currently I have two fresh scents that I use and really love (Acqua Di Gio and Burberry Sport). I am looking for some recommendations in that vein for some scents that are very similar. I tend to like the really sharp citrus scents that stay somewhat linear and hold that citrus scent through the dry down. What I really don't like at all are floral or powdery scents (which it seems many of the citrus scents transform into in the middle notes).

As I said, I, like every other person, have used Acqua Di Gio and even though it's so common, I just really love it. But recently I bought the new Burberry Sport and absolutely fell in love with it. It's now my favorite fresh scent. I love the tart grapefruit and ginger blast that dries into juniper/cedar and carries all the way through.(only downside is the poor longevity). I was wondering if anyone could recommend more scents in the vein of Burberry Sport or Acqua Di Gio? I am looking for sharp citrus scents that are kind of linear (and that dry down to more woods instead of flowers). The ones I've read about and thought trying include Perry Ellis 360 Red, Allure Homme Sport (cologne and regular sport), Dior Homme Sport, and John Varvatos Artisan. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on those and which ones sound like ones I would enjoy (compared to scents like Burberry Sport and ADGio). Or any other non floral, fresh citrus scents you might recommend.

I tried a couple of cheap buys at TJ Maxx (CK One and Nautica Oceans but hated both and returned them. Both turned way too floral and powdery after the top notes).

Thanks to everyone in advance, and I know this isn't everyones favorite scent catagory, so take it easy on a newbie Thanks again.

Default Re: Looking for a sharp citrus fresh/sport type scent.

I'm not up to date with these designer fragrances, not purchased any for years now, but if you fancy a change and want to try niche, for grapefruit and sharpness, Energizer from Boadicea the Victorious is excellent. Very refreshing, lasts ages as well, but depending how much you want to spend it's not cheap. Other's you may like with citrus, juniper and cedar in are Bois 1920 classic, Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo and Odin No.1 Nomad. They're all worth sampling.

Welcome to the forum by the way

Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes, BrianH1016!

Citrus scents that don't go powdery....

Monsieur Balmain
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Ô de Lancôme
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    Orange Sanguine
    by Atelier Cologne (fantastic orange fragrance)
    Azure Lime by Tom Ford
    Eau Dynamisante by Clarins
    Armani Eau Pour Homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur

L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake
    West Indian Limes by Crabtree & Evelyn
    Eau de Lalique by Lalique

Apparently Noveau Bowery and Central Park by Bond No. 9 are pretty good as well.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

I have one that fits perfectly, and you can smell at macys.
    Chanel Allure Cologne Sport. Its in a giant clear bottle. Go smell it. And want it.

More suggestions:

Cool Water Summer Fizz
    Yves Saint Laurent pour homme
    Loewe pour homme
    Polo Red, White and Blue
    Terre d´Hermes

Welcome to Basenotes!

If you like Burberry Sport, you will LOVE Dior Homme Sport.

Monsieur Balmain