Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 131
  1. #1

    Default Pissed off at basenotes

    I deleted my original post. It is obviously against the rules to complain about what admins do here. I believe I made a valid argument , but whatever. All I got was negative feedback and everyone thinks I am the one at fault or whatever else comments they make. I realized that its silly to defend myself here or argue back because it is almost like walking into a bar dedicated for ducks than telling everyone they quack. Its just completely pointless and silly on my part. I should have known better.
    Last edited by Guinea54; 20th January 2011 at 04:22 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    There is elitism and snobbery on this forum. And yes there is palatable disdain for YouTube reviewers on this forum. I've been here a month and it's blindingly obvious.

    Maybe your approval to the buy/swap section has to go to a specific moderator, rather than the general ones that deal with infractions?

    Anyway, keep up your reviews. The more the merrier

  3. #3

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Good luck with that dude, it's pretty strict on here. I was warned for talking back to someone who always spews hate for Creed on the forums. I couldn't even really figure out what I said that was wrong besides just asking him why he always had to have the last post with negative comments on every Creed thread.

    Anyhow I could see getting a warning for even posting on your thread so I will cut this short. Keep up the reviews, even with the few hundred on basenotes your review section alone has more people than this forum no worries man. This is a VERY small fraction of the fragrance lovers around.

    Elitist to be sure.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

  4. #4

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    yo guinea. i agree that some people are less then pleasant on here. Dont worry about what they think tho. I really enjoy your reviews and and so do alot of people.

  5. #5
    Mudassir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,606
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Help me understand the logic. There are certain rules for any online community. Sales/Swap/Wanted thread is for active member who have bid their time, or helping support this operaiton monetarily. You are neither. Just because you do some youtubes, you expect some fragrance related community administrators to kiss the floor you walk on and make exceptions to the rules that apply to over 10,000 users? That, to me, would have been elitist than applying the same rules by and large to everyone.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

    Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

  6. #6

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    I look at it this way- if I didn't like BN I would leave.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Help me understand the logic. There are certain rules for any online community. Sales/Swap/Wanted thread is for active member who have bid their time, or helping support this operaiton monetarily. You are neither. Just because you do some youtubes, you expect some fragrance related community administrators to kiss the floor you walk on and make exceptions to the rules that apply to over 10,000 users? That, to me, would have been elitist than applying the same rules by and large to everyone.
    Well put.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    I myself would love to sell on here. On my ebay account I have about 25 flawless selling transactions and its so few just because im young and just recently started.
    I dont expect this to excuse me from the rules. I'll admit I hated waiting but it was well worth it as tomorrow I will officially be allowed to post This website has so much other stuff to offer I was fine with the wait and glad I can be here now. If I didnt wanna wait I would have left and gone somewhere else.

  9. #9
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,600
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Guinea54, I'm not admin or moderator or anything.

    I have no knowledge about YouTube reviewers (rarely look at YouTube-- only if my teen shows me a funny video). The way I see it, the more reviews out there, the better, whether print or video.

    Please take a step back. I don't see you as having been banned. There is no "banned" under your username. Warned, is more like it. If your very first post was critical of the policies of the site-- surely you realize that is not a friendly way to approach a new group, openly criticizing them and using profanity?

    Now and then people get upset about the rules for using the Marketplace. The rules are intended to protect the community from scammers. Basically they require the investment of time (one year) OR effort (500 posts) OR money (supporting membership) to post in the marketplace. I guess the idea is that someone out to defraud is unlikely to be willing to invest time, effort or money into the website. It's no guarantee, but it helps to weed out some of the bad ones.

    Should there be an exception in the rules for reviewers? I don't see why. Many BNers review fragrances on blogs; should they, too, expect special treatment? What about people who review fragrances in their posts here? Should the rules not apply to them? It seems to me that what's good for one is good for all.

    I hope you can stay on and be a contributing member of BN -- we can always use more people willing to review fragrances.


  10. #10

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Well I am interested in the vintage guerlain vetiver if that makes you feel better. I enjoy your reviews personally.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Help me understand the logic. There are certain rules for any online community. Sales/Swap/Wanted thread is for active member who have bid their time, or helping support this operaiton monetarily. You are neither. Just because you do some youtubes, you expect some fragrance related community administrators to kiss the floor you walk on and make exceptions to the rules that apply to over 10,000 users? That, to me, would have been elitist than applying the same rules by and large to everyone.
    I agree.

    I don't really understand why a service that is reserved for active members of the Basenotes online community should automatically be available to you just because you have a successful YouTube channel. The rules for using the Sales/Swap/Wanted thread have been in place for quite a long time, why is it that you should be allowed special privileges that the rest of us don't have? I don't support any disdain for your channel whatsoever, but what does that have to do with you expecting to be treated as special and different from the rest of us here? If you don't want to be active on Basenotes then you won't have that privilege available to you. If you are going to post here then you will be able to have it. If you don't want to do what is necessarily to gain that privilege perhaps you could use your YouTube videos as a means by which to create your own sort of Sales/Swap service. Just an idea.

    BTW, when I posted YouTube reviews they were very well received here on Basenotes. The only trouble I seemed to ever have was from other YouTube reviewers. That was my experience anyway.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    This thread is breaking at least 2 of the rules of course one of which is :

    2.3 Airing of moderating grievances

    If you feel you or someone else has been moderated unfairly do not air your grievances on the board. Instead take it up with the moderator involved, or if this does not provide a satisfactory outcome, contact the website administrator with full details.

    The other is like 2.7 maybe? I forgot to cut and paste it but anyhow.

    Not sure if you are just skipping the normal procedure to become a trading member here? If you don't want to play their way just trade/sell or ebay it elsewhere.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

  13. #13

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea54 View Post
    I am sure this thread will get deleted, but in the rare case that we are allowed to speak freely, I wanted to state my concerns with the admins. I am a reviewer on youtube. I have my own channel, and I know a lot of people here are not fans of youtube reviews, that is fine. I don't even defend what I do, to each his own. But why does basenotes and basenoters have a sort of disdain for youtube reviewers.

    I have emailed the admin here a few different times requesting access to the buy/swap section of this forum. I explained that I am a reviewer on youtube with over 500 subscribers, and that I believed I am a good candidate for being allowed permissions into that section. The obvious reason being that I put myself out there on video, and I show the fragrances I am selling or swapping. Plus I have a good rapport with the youtube fragrance community with regards to swaps etc. Even if they said no, I would have been ok with it. But they just simply ignored my emails completely. Ironically at the same time, they are extremely fast to send out infractions and warnings.

    They have given me warnings and infractions for this post I made. With a nasty message that I should go elsewhere and not take part on basenotes anymore.
    Here is my post which I got the warning for and banned. I posted this on this section and was trying to find information about a rare bottle.

    "Original Post:
    http://www.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=2037170
    I have a bottle of Vintage guerlain vetiver. I am trying to find out more info about this bottle and how rare it is, I can't even find it on sale anywhere. Has this one been discontinued? I am not a huge fan of vetiver and would swap it with someone, but I am never allowed to post in the damn trade section. :-\ Anyone have any info about this particular fragrance?"

    Just because I asked people for information on this particular fragrance and merely mentioned that I wasn't allowed on the swap thread, I get banned and an infraction?? If this is how this site operates, I rather go to another one. I am a laid back type of person, but for some reason pretentious groups of admins who have a power complex get the best of me.
    1. Please read the rules re posting in buy/trade section. They apply to everyone regardless whether you're a youtube reviewer so no elitism here. Why should you be an exception?
    2. It's very easy to find out whether Guerlain Vetiver has been discontinued. It hasn't but the frag has been reformulated several times since the 60s.

    Btw, this is a male fragrance section, not an off-topic one
    Last edited by phibess; 19th January 2011 at 08:41 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    I actually did try to read the rules btw lol but I am guessing maybe you have to be a paying member to even see the rules for posting in the trade forum? It just gives me errors that I can't access that content when it links to tell me what the rules for posting in there are!
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

  15. #15

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    ::: deleted;::
    Last edited by Guinea54; 20th January 2011 at 04:23 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea54 View Post
    But they just simply ignored my emails completely. Ironically at the same time, they are extremely fast to send out infractions and warnings.
    Well, there are two points here...1) having rules you agree/disagree with 2) fairly enforcing those rules. First and foremost I absolutely agree with you on the above quoted point. I have had two incidents in which I felt I was treated unfairly. Not only did my complaints fall on deaf ears, I felt basically harassed by the moderators who showed little professionalism and more or less made the issue persona with their own predjudices (ex. one was an arguement with a woman, where the female mod bascially blinded sided with her).

    That said, Basenotes does have a right to set up rules as they see fit. For instance having 500 posts before you can sell. If they are upfront about it, it's cool. It's a different matter is they decided to say, make me have 500 posts and allowed you with 200 for example.

    For the record, I think based on that post alone, they over-reacted.

  17. #17
    Neurosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I don't have the accent, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Yeah it's pretty strict around here, but it stays relatively civil, a big difference from most forums. I enjoy it as a nice breath of fresh air where I can talk with civility about things I enjoy.

    ...but i'll be honest, I enjoy the forums where you can just be a complete jerk-off and no one cares cause it's all in a good humor (band forums tend to be like this and it's hysterical). Crudeness has its place as far as I'm concerned, it's a nice break from all the PC "lets be nice" stuff. But again, I enjoy the civility I find here

  18. #18

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    I still really don't know the rules so it takes 500 posts and a year of being a member and you have to pay? So confusing lol, glad I am just a reader atm!
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

  19. #19

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea54 View Post
    Who says I want anyone to kiss my ass??? If they replied back with a no, I would say ok cool. But it is the fact that they have ignored multiple emails about the topic like I don't exist. but yet they send me a warning and infraction at the drop of a hat. If your gonna throw out bans with that kind of speed, u could have at least answered my emails with a simply , No i am sorry. Did you even read my post? I don't want anyone kissing my ass, I am an idiot, and Im more of a fragrance community clown than a reviewer, but at least I have myself out there. I figured the swap/buy thread wants trusted traders, and I consider myself one.

    I am not an ass kisser, nor am I afraid to speak up about what I feel is right or wrong. So if I have to keep my mouth shut and just kiss the Admins butt or I get banned, than ban me. I am only being dramatic because it seems like a common theme here.
    If they sent you an infraction, then you probably broke a rule. That's usually how it works. But you haven't been banned. If getting banned is what you really want though, I'm sure that bitching about how awful Basenotes is is a step in the right direction.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Quiptos View Post
    2.3 Airing of moderating grievances

    If you feel you or someone else has been moderated unfairly do not air your grievances on the board. Instead take it up with the moderator involved, or if this does not provide a satisfactory outcome, contact the website administrator with full details.
    The problem with this can be (in my own case) this basically amounts to a "silencing tactic" even when you have contacted the website admin or Grant himself.

    Look, overall I really like this site and 99% of the people on it. I don't see what the big deal is being able to air your grievences. I would think Basenotes would actively want to find ways to improve the user experience.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Quiptos View Post
    I still really don't know the rules so it takes 500 posts and a year of being a member and you have to pay? So confusing lol, glad I am just a reader atm!
    It's my understanding that you can either have 500 posts, be a member for a year, or be a supporting member, not all 3, in order to be able to part of the marketplace threads. I could be wrong though.

  22. #22
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,600
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Quiptos View Post
    I still really don't know the rules so it takes 500 posts and a year of being a member and you have to pay? So confusing lol, glad I am just a reader atm!
    No-- not "and".

    One year OR 500 posts OR supporting member. In other words, invest yourself in one of those 3 ways before getting marketplace posting privileges. (But you can always respond to another member's post.)

    edit: mrclmind and I are thinking alike.


  23. #23

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Rules are rules (and you can always create your own frag site). If you can't respect them, then you are LESS worthy of an exception to them !

  24. #24

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Mrclmind and 30 Roses are right - I know I was able to as soon as I hit 500, and I haven't been here a year, nor paid for a memebership

  25. #25

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Doesn't matter, I've calmed down now...

  26. #26

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    I watch and enjoy your YouTube channel, but I think you're really going about this the wrong way here. The rules were set a while ago because people got scammed, and I generally think they're reasonable. If your problem is with the Mod's/admin., they're probably pretty busy, as well.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Help me understand the logic. There are certain rules for any online community. Sales/Swap/Wanted thread is for active member who have bid their time, or helping support this operaiton monetarily. You are neither. Just because you do some youtubes, you expect some fragrance related community administrators to kiss the floor you walk on and make exceptions to the rules that apply to over 10,000 users? That, to me, would have been elitist than applying the same rules by and large to everyone.
    +1, and cheekily well put

    Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    If getting banned is what you really want though, I'm sure that bitching about how awful Basenotes is is a step in the right direction.
    and couldn't have said it better myself!

  28. #28

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    I just found the rules took a few links to find but there it is!

    I went to the site rules in the swap forum , which linked me back to the community code of conduct, then within that it points to :

    3.5 For Sale / Swap posts are not permitted in the Discussion boards

    Posts of this type may only be placed in the Basenotes Marketplace. There are certain restricitions as to who can post on these boards which can be read here. Which then relinks to some announcement that says Quiptos , you do not have permission to access this page. yada yada yada. Then at the bottom of that one you will find yet another link that links back to rules thread that has the 3 rules in it.

    You are a supporting member
    You have been a member for over a year
    You have made over 500 posts

    Not sure if that helps anyone to even find it, and not like this thread will live very long doh!
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

  29. #29
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,600
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Okay, I found it but it did take some hunting (maybe would be good to have a sticky about the Marketplaace restrictions at the top of the Sale, Swap and Wanted boards as the information is hard to locate otherwise):

    http://www.basenotes.net/faq.php?faq=marketplace

    There must be a glitch, Quiptos, I couldn't see this page either (which is the the page linked from Item Number 5. of the Basenotes Code of Conduct page.):
    http://www.basenotes.net/announcement.php?f=30&a=7

    For Code of Conduct see here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/content/92-...ct-for-Members


  30. #30

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    I think having proof of being a great ebay seller, youtube reviewer or other site is more trustworthy than 2 of 3 restraints basenotes has in place.If he/she's done swaps elsewhere, people know his/her address, name, ect... and they are much less likely to scam than some loser who posts 500 times on this forum. It's not that hard to reply 500 times. It's not that hard to create an account and let it sit around for a year, posting a few times between. If you're a scammer, it's worth it.

    I'm not saying the current implementations are useless, since many trustworthy sellers/swappers have gotten access this way. Yet, if somebody has an even more trustworthy, valid ticket in, why not allow it?

    Who would you rather trust? a person who has time to post 500 times, or a person who has months, years, of experience in selling on ebay, youtube, ect...?

    Quit with the snobbery and exclusiveness. This site has grown and sometimes things need to change with the times. It's always the veterans complaining about "back in my day, we couldn't...." Who cares? Things change, whether it's fair to you or not. If it's better, then implement it.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Two things.

    First: We don't look down on YouTube reviewers. It's just that written reviews and discussion is more our style (hence our being active members of a forum community). This has been discussed at length on various threads, if you'd care to research the matter. In addition, there are some active YouTube reviewers in this community, and they get along with the rest of us fine for some reason. Any negative treatment you feel you've received so far is not the result of your YouTube activity.

    Second: Five hundred posts (the requirement for swapping privileges) is not that many. Try contributing to some fragrance discussion. You might like it. We've had enthusiastic new members reach 500 posts in a matter of weeks.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  32. #32

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    There's a few Guerlain old formula Vetiver EDTs on eBay - they don't seem THAT rare. I do love a nice vetiver. What would people recommend as a 3rd vetiver that brings something different to a collection which already includes Guerlain's and Creed's offerings (not 1948 sadly - I hear wonderful things about this)?

  33. #33

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post

    Second: Five hundred posts (the requirement for swapping privileges) is not that many. Try contributing to some fragrance discussion. You might like it. We've had enthusiastic new members reach 500 posts in a matter of weeks.
    My point exactly. It's easy to get 500 posts. It shows nothing more that "I have time to do this." It shows no character as a potential seller.

    If pigasaus27(spelling?) from youtube , joined BN today, provided a scanned ID that it was truly him, I'd buy $100's worth without worry. He's done many decant splits, shown his address, room, name, face, and voice to hundreds of people.

    Versus some guy who has joined 2 months ago and has 600 posts already. Who we know nothing about other than an IP address (easily masked, changed, ect) and a random email address.

    Who do you think is more trust worthy? Common sense.

  34. #34
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,600
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    But think of all the time that would have to be invested by admin/mods (who are already pressed for time, being working people like everyone else) having to screen each person's application for special marketplace privilege. A lot of people sell on eBay and have good feedback there-- each of these would have to be evaluated one by one.

    The three rules aren't perfect but at least they don't require a lot of time to implement.

    Also, is there a lot of scamming going on here? If not, maybe the rules are "good enough".


  35. #35

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    I don't remember any threads like this back in 2003, or back when it was on Yahoo! boards. Interesting...

    Oh, that's right. It's because like anything else that grows over a period of time, it needs some form of moderating and regulatory to keep things in check. I ask you this: would it be better to feel ignored now, or been one of those people several years ago who were ripped off a few hundred dollars worth of merchandise?

    Having been involved for the better part of a decade now, I can assure you two things: I don't necessarily agree with every change that's made over the course of time, but I can appreciate them for being means by which an ever-growing, diversified community can continue to benefit. Call them products of lessons learned if you'd like, but realize it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole damn bunch - the whole swamp/for sale section was almost ditched a few years back as a result of a few.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

  36. #36

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    ::: deleted:::
    Last edited by Guinea54; 20th January 2011 at 04:23 AM.

  37. #37

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Seriously Guinea, just man up a little and make some posts. They have these regulations on this site for a reason. The Marketplace is supposed to be the safest fragrance swap specialty thread on the net. Cutting out these regulations because a few people on YT want their way would indeed change its safety.

  38. #38

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    @Mudassir

    Guinea concedes
    Last edited by Guinea54; 20th January 2011 at 02:54 AM.

  39. #39
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146

    Default


  40. #40
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,600
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea54 View Post
    ...
    Here is my post which I got the warning for and banned. I posted this on this section and was trying to find information about a rare bottle.

    "Original Post:
    http://www.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=2037170
    I have a bottle of Vintage guerlain vetiver. I am trying to find out more info about this bottle and how rare it is, I can't even find it on sale anywhere. Has this one been discontinued? I am not a huge fan of vetiver and would swap it with someone, but I am never allowed to post in the damn trade section. :-\ [bolding mine]
    2.11 No vulgar, obscene or indecent language, information or images.

    Maybe it was the tone of the post? Rather rough for a first post....

    I think you are offended also that you didn't get a reply to your email. We all like to be replied to . But Grant gets so many emails and with all the glitches and server problems he's worked soooo many hours on the site, maybe he didn't have time to reply. Just saying....


  41. #41

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Hello

    I've moved this thread, as it wasnt mens fragrance discussion.

    Apart from some volunteer moderators who donate their free time to the forums, and some writers who help with news/features. This site is all run by run person. All the admin, all the coding, all the replying to emails, all the uploading articles, all the uploading new fragrances, all the everything else.

    This is why a lot of the time, things done get done and emails dont get answered.

    Currently, the forum's software will automatically detect if someone reaches 500 posts, 1 year or is a supporter. There's no way it can detect if someone has a good eBay feedback score, does lots of youtube videos, or is a pillar of their community. If there was I'd maybe consider it, but as it goes I can't, and I don't have time to check out individual people that think that they don't need to meet the requirements (however valid it might be)

    I'm sorry, that it is obviously a problem for you. I don't want to cause problems for people, but you cant please all the people all the time.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    @Massmenace.

    Guinea concedes
    Last edited by Guinea54; 20th January 2011 at 02:55 AM.

  43. #43
    Mudassir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,606
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea54 View Post
    Who says I want anyone to kiss my ass??? If they replied back with a no, I would say ok cool. But it is the fact that they have ignored multiple emails about the topic like I don't exist. but yet they send me a warning and infraction at the drop of a hat. If your gonna throw out bans with that kind of speed, u could have at least answered my emails with a simply , No i am sorry. Did you even read my post? I don't want anyone kissing my ass, I am an idiot, and Im more of a fragrance community clown than a reviewer, but at least I have myself out there. I figured the swap/buy thread wants trusted traders, and I consider myself one.

    I am not an ass kisser, nor am I afraid to speak up about what I feel is right or wrong. So if I have to keep my mouth shut and just kiss the Admins butt or I get banned, than ban me. I am only being dramatic because it seems like a common theme here.
    Well, the very reason you contacted them about making an exception to the rule for you because you are a youtube reviewer shows you wanted to be treated like a king because of that. There are over 10,000 users, and I am sure tonnes of non-users who might drop a message here and there. You expect the moderators to reply each and every one of them - no matter how childish or "elitist" they are? Its not an elitist attitude on the BN'ers part, but a really childish request on your part to bend the rules for you because you are king of the world and shows your "elitist" mentality.

    You would have known the stated rules before you contacted them. You would have known the stated rules before you posted the thread that was clear enough about you circumventing the rules and posting a swap thread in male discussion board. And then you come and bitch about it and proclaim yourself to be a very laid back guy? Let me break it to you: The world doesn't always work the way you want it to work as it is shared by 6 billion other souls. It would be a hell right here if everyone of us wishes to be a king of the world, and then whine about it when the rest of us don't toe that line.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

    Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

  44. #44
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,659
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I quite agree. This is getting good!
    P.S. If you've ever had a transaction turn sour, you can appreciate the need for some kind of track record for this kind of forum with people coming and going from who knows where.

  45. #45

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    @ Grant

    Sure that is well stated, and makes perfect sense, but again it eludes the main point I am trying to convey. I wrote four different emails months apart that never got replied back to. If everyone is so busy that they cant answer 1 email out of 4, within 10 months, than why do the Admins have the ability to ban you and write you back nasty comments at the drop of a hat that was totally undeserving? this is not about your philosophy or method of choosing people for your forum. It is about how fast they get back to you when its to give an infraction or write a nasty comment, but are too busy to get back to your questions or emails.

    I guess my point is, I felt kind of stupid that I wrote a bunch of long emails that humbly introduced myself into the community and was totally ignored, while at the same time got a ban, nasty email over something trivial with ludicrous speeds. Its almost like you have to do something they DON'T like to get any kind of response at all.
    Last edited by Guinea54; 20th January 2011 at 03:00 AM.

  46. #46

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    @mudassir
    ......
    Last edited by Guinea54; 20th January 2011 at 03:00 AM.

  47. #47
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,600
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Well, I'm just going to say it. I think your post warranted an infraction-- not because of the swapping (you were not) but because it was rudely worded, and as a first post it was not a good omen of things to come. It takes grace to see where one is wrong but I don't see you recognizing that that wasn't the best way to begin posting here.

    Now, we have all misspoken at times so that is not the end of the world.

    As to the emails going unanswered, Grant just told you how busy he has been. What could he have replied to you other than to reiterate the rules as they are already written? Can you maybe let it go, now?


  48. #48

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea54 View Post
    I can't see why people don't understand my point unless they are intentionally trying to kiss ass on here. Seriously.
    I can see your point - as I shared, I've had two similar experiences. On the other hand, I see where Grant is coming from - it's just not feasible from a time standpoint as the software sits. And he makes a very true statement that you can't please everybody.

    It seems to me, the real issue is you feel disrespected and treated rather rudely, more so than the rules not being the best fit for you as they presently are. I can sympathize with that. It's sort of like being pulled over for rolling through a stop sign. The ticket is one thing, but have an arrogant cop talk down to you and sort of "abuse power" is another. I know most will be quick to cite "well you shouldn't have rolled through" but by that same logic, he would be equally as excused if he pulled you out of the car and tased you or beat you down with his nightstick -either way you "brought it on yourself".

    For what it's worth, I have seen your reviews and enjoyed them. Hopefully you will stick around as I think you would be a good contributor. And for the record, I do NOT think your first post was rude. If anything, you used the word "damn" which is totally appropriate even in governement jobs:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6oxhLz9l5s#t=00m29s
    Last edited by Force of One; 19th January 2011 at 09:48 PM.

  49. #49
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,600
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Signing off...going to do chores. Guinea54, stick around. Make friends. Post! This too shall pass.


  50. #50

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    I'm unclear as to the point of this thread. Are you just wanting to vent, or are you trying to accomplish something productive? It seems to me that if you feel that you were treated unfairly the more appropriate thing to do would be to take it up with Grant privately to get a resolution rather than air it publicly like this. You may not get an immediate response, but I'm sure if you were patient, it would get handled.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 19th January 2011 at 10:00 PM.

  51. #51

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    @30 roses.
    Yeah I am coming off confrontational on here just to get peoples honest opinions. I am not as angry as I am coming off, but implying I deserved it from the original post while admitting that you agree I wasn't swapping kind of implies that things might be run by the gestapo or something lol.
    Last edited by Guinea54; 20th January 2011 at 03:01 AM.

  52. #52

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    ....
    Last edited by Guinea54; 20th January 2011 at 03:01 AM.

  53. #53
    Hollandaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    1,120
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    There really should be a separate mod to message or someone in particular to contact about sale/swap questions, so that one person who gets those in his/her inbox (probably Grant) won't get that mixed up with the dozens and dozens of emails per day about site fixes. I got told I'm not supposed to chit chat in my own sale thread a while back and I thought it was fair. I'm there to sell in that thread, not small talk and bump up my own sale thread. LOL.

    I also posted my own share of YouTube videos and I talk to the regulars in that particular community all the time (Ashkan, Sean, JR, Brandon, Mickers, etc, etc). I find a lot of the disliking on either side to be rather unjustified and sorta dumb to read/watch. Sometimes it does make sense that if you don't like something, leave. Or work it out or make it work for you. Every forum I've visited has it's own fair share of people/posts I don't like, but I learned to ignore things I didn't like and continue on with my business. I made sure I understood the rules of each forum if I'm that interested in reading or participating. Just because I didn't like 2-3 people I've come across on a forum of thousands doesn't mean the entire site is crap. I forgot who I messaged about a particular for sale question, but there's someone out there who answered me and I just happened to ask the right person. I once asked, "can I sell something for someone else?", of course the answer was "no" and the person explained why. Fair enough.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 19th January 2011 at 10:42 PM.

  54. #54

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pennsyl-tuckey
    Posts
    1,748
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Interesting, I never knew you had to be a member for at least a year, or have at least 500 posts, or a BN Plus membership in order to post on the marketplace. All I recall was leaving for a year, coming back when I was in an apartment of my own, making a few forum posts and the marketplace was just "there".

    Guinea, I don't know if you can take this information in or not, but when I first came to Basenotes I came here from a previous forum directed more towards men's shaving and skincare and such. When I came here at 18 from that forum, the fact that I could be part of such a vast database on fragrances (a then-blooming hobby for me), I didn't know what to do. Coming here from Youtube isn't so much of a big jump, except in terms of format - instead of talking about fragrances to the camera for the world to see, this is an old-fashioned forum.

    Now, while you may not get the thousands of video views or subscriptions on Basenotes, you will get noticed. If you're curious about fragrances and want to know all you can about the fragrances you love, or want to try, or just fragrances in popular, you will find the answers here. The niche and designer world is A LOT more vast than I assumed when I first came here, and trying new fragrances and even announcing your Scent of the Day is all part of the fun - it may even extend onto your Facebook! Youtube reviews are nice and all, but there are certain ways to polish your assessments of fragrances just by reading text reviews, e.g. Foetidus and Off-Scenter.

    It's an internet forum, dude. If you can rough it out, keep your cool and get to know everyone, next thing you know you'll be able to utilize the marketplace if you really want a certain fragrance.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

    Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

    PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

  55. #55

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea54 View Post
    @mrclmind

    The point of the thread has more to do with what you get from it. Emailing them about my concerns does not work, they do not answer me. So I figured to vent here. Maybe some will agree with me, maybe some won't. I honestly don't really care, I just seen some major attitude problems happening on here for a long time. And a lot of people complain to me in private conversation, but hardly anyone says anything. So why not, My name is guinea, might as well be the guinea pig. See if I get totally banished from the kingdom, see if people agree with me and have the courage to speak up or just think I am idiot.
    I know that my perception may be way off base from your intentions; however, the way it looks to me at first glance is that you didn't get a fast enough response, and you didn't agree with the way you were treated by a particular mod, so rather than find other channels to try to get your issues resolved you decided to try to pull the whole of the Basenotes community into your situation. I personally would have gone about things in a very different manner... to each their own however.

  56. #56

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Dude, if there is a case of basenoters not liking youtube reviewers then your certainly not helping it. Just because you put your face on the internet it doesn't make you a trustworthy person. Based on how you have handled this situation, I wouldn't want to do business with you.

    With that being said, I agree with your opinion of the moderators. I too have received a BS infraction and was met with a snobby response when I wrote back to them. Basically saying I could pick it up and take things elsewhere. Keep in mind I have been a member here for over 3 years. I was pretty pissed. But what are you going to do, house rules.

  57. #57

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    @mrclmind

    Was just the point that all my emails in 10 months were ignored, but when you sneeze the wrong way they will respond with the quickness.. INFRACTION PEON. Because I merely MENTIONED the swap thread. I didn't even attempt at a swap, but they saw I said the word swap and felt it necessary to ban my account give me an infraction along with a snotty message that I should take my ass to another site. IF you people think that is warranted and there is nothing wrong there, than what can I say. I bow down to the mighty Gestapo.

  58. #58
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea54 View Post
    @mudassir

    Wow you are relentless. No I contacted them because I wasn't sure if they would make exceptions or hear individual cases or not. Especially someone doing reviews in the fragrance community for 8 months with 500 subscribers. Again you will play devils advocate till u faint. I don't understand how you can't see the snobbery here. That 4 emails and 10 months later I don't even get a single response, but when an admin wants to say something nasty to you or give you an unwarranted infraction they reply with the speed of light. I didn't deserve an infraction for my post. That is the bottom line. I wasn't swapping with anyone, what is so hard to comprehend, maybe I will speak in Chinese back to you.
    Bro, I'm following this thread and I have to say I'm getting tired of you calling members like me ass kissers and devil's advocates. You wanna complain? Then keep it between you and the moderators that you're angry with. I'm tired of hearing you're crying bro.

  59. #59

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    @captain crunch.

    :-\
    Last edited by Guinea54; 20th January 2011 at 03:02 AM.

  60. #60

    Default Re: Pissed off at basenotes

    @AromiErotici

    :-\
    Last edited by Guinea54; 20th January 2011 at 03:03 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. I'm Pissed
    By tvlampboy in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 13th December 2007, 12:16 PM
  2. Do you guys ever get pissed when...
    By Thrax in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 27th October 2006, 05:56 PM
  3. Pissed off with CC, and No. 88, SO F)(*&^* MAD
    By nsamadi in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9th June 2006, 10:34 PM
  4. Pissed off with CC, and No. 88, SO F)(*&^* MAD
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000