Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dior Patchouli Imperial

Does anyone knows when this one was launched or if it will be launched yet? I just found it randomnly at ebay, and then i saw that there is now at their website one collection prive fragrance with this name:

http://www.dior.com/beauty/int/en/fr...py0908280.html

Default Re: Dior Patchouli Imperial

Thanks for the heads up. Will try to contact Dior to get more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Scented salamander posted today more info about it:

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...al_2011_n.html

It seems that it`ll be a dry and woodier fragrance, hope it`s as good as some of the fragrances in the collection...

AromiErotici

I was looking as well Rick. I have my eye on the Leather, but the patchouli looks interesting. I haven't heard anything about it yet.....

It's available at the Dior beauty boutique in Las Vegas (Palazzo) I just ordered it. Will be sent out tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

So i think you`ll be one of the first one to try it hednic. Please come back and tell us your impressions

Thank you for sharing! I'm very interested in dry patchouli.

Post Thanks / Like

Curious to hear about this one. On a patcouli kick at the moment. Awesome hednick ! let us know.

It is available at the Dior online boutique: http://www.dior.com/beauty/usa/en/wo...py0908280.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blacksun View Post
    It is available at the Dior online boutique: http://www.dior.com/beauty/usa/en/wo...py0908280.html
    I was trying to find the link to their online store the day i found the info about it, but i think i was accessing the wrong place. Thanks for sharing it!

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't available at any London Dior boutique yesterday. Itching to try this bastard!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, they are really pumping out those releases at Dior, aren't they?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

No problem, rickbr. I think I was accessing the wrong place, too, or else it just became available in the past few days.

I am so impressed with Leather Oud and rather like Eau Noire that I am very tempted to blind buy Patchouli Imperial. I've found that PI was listed by Cosmopolitan as one of the sexiest fall frags of 2011, along with Mugler's Angel edt and a couple other women's fragrances, so I'm worried that it will be too feminine for my taste. I think I'm unnecessarily worried, though, as the notes suggest to me a more masculine edge (it is marketed as unisex) with Coriander, Patchouli, and Sandalwood.

Post Thanks / Like

No problem, rickbr. I think I was accessing the wrong place, too, or else it just became available in the past few days.

I am so impressed with Leather Oud and rather like Eau Noire that I am very tempted to blind buy Patchouli Imperial. I've found that PI was listed by Cosmopolitan as one of the sexiest fall frags of 2011, along with Mugler's Angel edt and a couple other women's fragrances, so I'm worried that it will be too feminine for my taste. I think I'm unnecessarily worried, though, as the notes suggest to me a more masculine edge (it is marketed as unisex) with Coriander, Patchouli, and Sandalwood.
    Well, in my opinion patchouli feminine frags are quite unissex in general, when they focus on the amber and woody camphor aspects of the idea. See the original prada for instance. It's like a serious version of Angel, without the fruity aspects, a woody fragrance of sweet and amber contrasts that works great on man and on winter (and also has a great longevity).
    Maybe they are just trying to sell it to the feminine audience like they done with Grainville

Good points, rickbr. I think you're right about trying to sell to the feminine audience. I enjoy many unisex fragrances and I like patchouli and sandalwood, so I know that my worrying is for no reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Good points, rickbr. I think you're right about trying to sell to the feminine audience. I enjoy many unisex fragrances and I like patchouli and sandalwood, so I know that my worrying is for no reason.
    Well, i think that we`ll only be able to know after someone tries it, but i`d try to get a decant or sample at first and pay attention to it during a day or some days. That`s how i`m trying to find fragrances that i like recently, but everyone has its own methods

Received my bottle yesterday 125ml from the Dior boutique and first impression was positive. It reminded me a little of Micallef Patchouli and Reminicence Patchouli Pour Homme. Longevity and sillage were above average for me.

Thanks for the initial impressions, hednic. I'm looking forward to this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Dior is the new Tom Ford! Anyway, hopefully it's better than Leather Oud which left me high and dry. Heck, I'd be pleased if it's as good as PdN's Patchouli Homme.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    hopefully it's better than Leather Oud which left me high and dry.
    I am wondering what you meant by that. (I am clueless because I have never smelled Leather Oud.)

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone looking to get rid of a sample of this one? It sounds great- how can one go wrong with coriander, patchouli, and sandalwood? They'd really have to botch it to mess it up and I just can't see Dior doing that.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/281969-Montale-Amouage-Gengis-Khan-Musk-Oils-Micallef-Manufacturer-Samples-etc."]Pure Havane and Misc Samples[/URL]

[URL="http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=696"]What's this, an offsite link to more sales?[/URL]

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Dior is the new Tom Ford! Anyway, hopefully it's better than Leather Oud which left me high and dry. Heck, I'd be pleased if it's as good as PdN's Patchouli Homme.
    Oh I hope it's better than Patchouli Homme, that one was just SO strong and raw...it sort of traumatized me.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Anyone looking to get rid of a sample of this one? It sounds great- how can one go wrong with coriander, patchouli, and sandalwood? They'd really have to botch it to mess it up and I just can't see Dior doing that.

I agree. Now if I could just find a sample.....

Post Thanks / Like

Samples are available at the Perfume Court

http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...rpatchimp.aspx
    Evenstar

Post Thanks / Like

Elena V at perfumeshrine just posted something on PI. She claims it's a copy of 31 rue Cambon, with a more patchouli-laden drydown. Of course, 31 rue Cambon is excellent, if not especially persistent. So this is both a good news (a good perfume) and so so (a copy).

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Not being released here in the UK until January apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

The first impressions seems really good, i'll ansiously my decant of this one
    I saw people commenting above on Leather Oud, this was one that i expected to like, but i cannot There is dirty and animalic edge on its smell that doesn't work well on me, that seems more pleasant at distance than at your own skin. It's longlasting but the first hours are an exercise of patience to me...

Post Thanks / Like

I tried this a few days ago. The patchouli note is prominent but slightly less so than coromandel. There is also a hint of amber blended with a resin (benzoin?styrax?). Very high quality.
    You need to like patchouli a lot to enjoy this.
    In comparison, you would need to love patchouli to enjoy the patchouli series from reminiscence.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to trying the new Dior Patchouli. I don't like PdN Patchouli Homme (Yeow!) and I really love Leather Oud so does that mean I might not like Patchouli Imperiale? What kind of a name is Imperial anyway? Does this mean it relates to the Empire, or royalty of some sort? I am such a fan of patchouli scents in general that I will probalby really enjoy the new Dior Patchouli Imperial. Gotta try it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I look forward to trying the new Dior Patchouli. I don't like PdN Patchouli Homme (Yeow!) and I really love Leather Oud so does that mean I might not like Patchouli Imperiale?
    My guess is that you will be pleasantly surprised especially if you are a patchouli fan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I look forward to trying the new Dior Patchouli. I don't like PdN Patchouli Homme (Yeow!) and I really love Leather Oud so does that mean I might not like Patchouli Imperiale? What kind of a name is Imperial anyway? Does this mean it relates to the Empire, or royalty of some sort? I am such a fan of patchouli scents in general that I will probalby really enjoy the new Dior Patchouli Imperial. Gotta try it first.
    I dont remember PdN Patchouli Homme. Have you tried Coromandel? Or Patchouli Elixir or any of the other patchouli in the series.
    The patchouli isnt as prominent though.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My guess is that you will be pleasantly surprised especially if you are a patchouli fan.
    In which way? Provide some more detail for the gentleman lol.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    In which way?
    For me it's more of a pure patchouli but not too harsh akin more to the Reminicence Patchouli and Micallef Patchouli. I have all three as well as the Nicolai, but it's not as close to the Nicolai IMO as it is to the other two.

Post Thanks / Like

How would you guys compare PI to Nobile 1942 PN?....Gosh, I just reread that first sentence and it comes off like fumehead secret code or something.... In any event, I am beginning to hone in on Dior Couture as my go perfume line and PI is on my radar. I am about to splurge on Dior Vetiver, Granville and one more. A toss up between Amber Nuit or PI. I tried Nobile 1942 as a good patchouli benchmark and was left very unimpressed. Does Dior Amber offer any more magic or personality lacking in the Nobile 1942?
    IYO, which one out of Dior Amber or PI would be worth considering as a good cooler winter scent ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    In which way? Provide some more detail for the gentleman lol.
    It starts with bergamot, mandarin followed by patchouli and coriander. The drydown is ambery, although I have read that the basenotes are Cedar and Sandalwood. I cannot smell cedar at all.

This was my SOTD yesterday and I absolutely loved it. Last night I sprayed Coromandel, Borneo, Patchouli White and Nightscape for comparison. The first blast is similar to White Patchouli by Tom Ford, but the Ford goes straight into a loud jasmin, rose peony combination, whilie PI remains woody and ambery.
    Evenstar

Thanks for the info to everyone.....This does sound very interesting!!!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Now, I am a newbie and a girl, so take this as you will.

I was able to test Leather Oud and Patchouli Imperial (on my husband!) recently. Now, I love patchouli (Coromandel is my fave) but the scent I liked best was the Leather Oud. To me it was very masculine and had a seductive edge. Very tobacco, whiskey and fast cars, if you know what I mean. It was wonderful. I thought PI, on the other hand, was almost clinical. I liked the patchouli, but it was missing something for me...
    ~ Leilah

"To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful." ~Agnes De Mille

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me it's more of a pure patchouli but not too harsh akin more to the Reminicence Patchouli and Micallef Patchouli. I have all three as well as the Nicolai, but it's not as close to the Nicolai IMO as it is to the other two.
    Yes its not as intense as the Patchoulis from Reminiscence.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    It starts with bergamot, mandarin followed by patchouli and coriander. The drydown is ambery, although I have read that the basenotes are Cedar and Sandalwood. I cannot smell cedar at all.

This was my SOTD yesterday and I absolutely loved it. Last night I sprayed Coromandel, Borneo, Patchouli White and Nightscape for comparison. The first blast is similar to White Patchouli by Tom Ford, but the Ford goes straight into a loud jasmin, rose peony combination, whilie PI remains woody and ambery.
    Thats I interpret it too. A light layer of patchouli on a thick bed of amber and other miscellaneous herbs and spices.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I am in heaven - I meant Paris! PI is great. its quality composition that never lets the Patchouli shout out at you. Its kept in check. Fogot I sprayed my wrist with it and when I woke up the following morning the aroma bought a grin to my face. Yup Mr Bank manager"gotta get this one! I already own Eau Noire and sniffed at the same time Vetiver, Cologne Royal, New Look 1947, Ambre Nuit, Leather Oud so order of preference was PI, Leather Oud + Ambre Nuit.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Lot's of amber in this, almost too much for my tastes, although I have to test it again soon.

I must admit: Patchouli is not my favorite note, and I've always felt that Borneo 1834 by SL satisfies all of my patchouli needs and the Dior, while it's nice just doesn't outdo the SL.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    I am in heaven - I meant Paris! PI is great. its quality composition that never lets the Patchouli shout out at you. Its kept in check. Fogot I sprayed my wrist with it and when I woke up the following morning the aroma bought a grin to my face. Yup Mr Bank manager"gotta get this one! I already own Eau Noire and sniffed at the same time Vetiver, Cologne Royal, New Look 1947, Ambre Nuit, Leather Oud so order of preference was PI, Leather Oud + Ambre Nuit.
    Glad you had a positive experience. I love this one a lot too.

My brother purchased this from Dubai last week and we both are in love with it. It is a dry, dry patchouli. I'm not a big fan of earthy patchouli (Borneo) but I find this totally unique. A funny thing happened when my brother wore it in Dubai. He had to wake up at 7AM and go to work. When he left, he sprayed on PI and left. Mind you, I was still asleep in the same room. I woke up suddenly and wondering who had sprayed A*Men. I kept on sniffing and sniffing, and then it suddenly hit me, PI smells like the drydown of A*Men where the candied topnotes and chocolate heart subsides and all you're left with is the dry, elegant patchouli.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

When you spray this one on, you immediately smell the patchouli mixed with the amber and then there's a sort of tea-like note (something roasted?) which reminds me of a drink I can't quite put my finger on. However, because the woods are so dry, it's not edible, but rather retains a crisp, grey, sort of lite-goth melancholic feeling that normally is not my style but I actually find in Patchouli Imperial very addictive.

Each and every time that I have worn this, I have liked it more and more. And this is coming from someone who's not a big patch fan.

I can't wait to smell this side-by-side with Nightscape by Ulrich Lang, which I remember loving. Something from my memory tells me that ones 'darker'. Nonetheless these modern-hybrid-patchoulis are just perfect for the intro to Fall weather we're getting ready for here in Miami.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I totally get the tea like roasted sort of roasted note that you're referring to.
    I attribute that note to a resin. Can't quiet pinpoint which one but definitely something resinous.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I tested this at the Dior shop in Paris but not on my skin. I usually love patchouli fragrances, but was unsure of this for the first few hours, however now eight hours on it smells wonderful. I think this is a masculine fragrance as to me it is heavy in tobacco and leather ( I haven't read the list of ingredients). It is a wonderfully crafted fragrance being both intellectual and warm - like log cabin full of books and an open fire place. I really love it and can't stop smelling my sample but think it's far to masculine for me to wear .

Post Thanks / Like

I now own a 200ml bottle. My only criticism is its sillage. Similar to Coromandel in this respect. It lasts a long time but is very subtle. I like my patchoulis big and bold! It's a lovely scent but I find myself having to squirt a bit too much on at its high price

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
    I now own a 200ml bottle. My only criticism is its sillage. Similar to Coromandel in this respect. It lasts a long time but is very subtle. I like my patchoulis big and bold! It's a lovely scent but I find myself having to squirt a bit too much on at its high price
    By sillage do you mean personal projection or the trail you leave?

PI excels in both IMO.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose I'm comparing it to L Oud which surrounds you like a big cloud of scent. PI is more discreet. You catch the occasional subtle waft but forget it's on most of the time

Post Thanks / Like

I got terrible longevity with this the first time I sampled it. It didn't strike me as particularly distinctive in relation to other patchouli dominant scents either, but I'll give it any try or two.

Post Thanks / Like

for me, the patchouli here is not astringent or harsh, rather subdued to the usual layer of spicy "herbal" amber of others private line: mitzah, vetiver..
    also, I get a certain floral character, perhaps on the musk side.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2