Code of Conduct

Default Jovan Gambler = Jovan Magnet?

Today I bought a bottle of something called Jovan Magnet, which is described as a "spray cologne for men". Here is a photo:

Jovan Magnet.jpg

I cannot find any reference on the internet to a fragrance named Jovan Magnet. I did, however, find this link on eBay to a photo of Jovan Gambler, which looks nearly identical except for the name:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAMBLER-COLOGNE-...item5addeace2f

Do you think these two fragrances are the same? I've never smelled Gambler, but Magnet is herbal, woody, and leathery, and agrees with the notes listed for Gambler.

Could this be a special packaging of Gambler renamed for release in Saudi Arabia, which has strict prohibitions against gambling and would not allow the original name?

What do you think?

Thanks!

noggs

AromiErotici

Default Re: Jovan Gambler = Jovan Magnet?

noggs.......I looked everywhere I normally do to find info on obtuse juice and I couldn't find any. My hunch is your hunch is correct.

Thanks, Aromi.

I do think that this is Gambler under a different name for the Middle Eastern market. I'm sticking with that assumption until I find other information that says otherwise. After wearing it I can say that it is old style, long lasting, and meets all the descriptions of Gambler. It's a pretty darn good frag! I can see why people miss this one. I can still find old stock of this at very low prices, which beat the rates Gambler goes for on eBay.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Thanks, Aromi.

I do think that this is Gambler under a different name for the Middle Eastern market. I'm sticking with that assumption until I find other information that says otherwise. After wearing it I can say that it is old style, long lasting, and meets all the descriptions of Gambler. It's a pretty darn good frag! I can see why people miss this one. I can still find old stock of this at very low prices, which beat the rates Gambler goes for on eBay.
    Glad you found an oldie but goody !!! In hindsight, who could have known that numerous scents from back then ( cheap and not so cheap) were constructed as good as they are? You "see" it now when stacked up against current middle-of-the-road offerings.

I'm wearing Delon Classic today and am enjoying the quality of this frag. The accord structure may be retro, but the presence of these fragrances is to be envied.

That's really funny. I have a bottle of Gambler and it's one of my favorites in my collection (see my review). Looking at the picture, that is spot on the same product down to the font. Makes me think...If Opium was banned in several countries for the name, why not change the packaging? Is YSL too stubborn?
    I hope you enjoy your Gambler-Magnet. Do you get a Musk version, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty Bat View Post
    Makes me think...If Opium was banned in several countries for the name, why not change the packaging? Is YSL too stubborn? I hope you enjoy your Gambler-Magnet. Do you get a Musk version, too?
    I have also found another fragrance which was renamed for the local market. Etienne Aigner's Explosive was renamed Provocation for Saudi Arabia. Exact same box and bottle and smell, only difference is the name.

I think these bottles (both containing older, discontinued frags) are leftovers from a previous era in Saudi Arabia. Ten, 15, 20 years ago, whatever, they were evidently pretty strict on the names that were allowed. But now I think they are more relaxed, even though names like Gambler and Explosive might still be found objectionable, but I doubt it. We get Opium without a name change, but who knows how it was treated here when it first came out.

No Musk version around here that I've seen, and I've only found bottles of Magnet/Gambler in one shop.