Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Mitzah by Christian Dior

Mitzah is one of the new 'colognes' from Dior. I got a sample of it and I am wearing it as I type this.

First of all, those of you who have smelled Ambre Nuit (the other Dior fragrance in the series) will immediately smell the similarity to Mitzah. They both have that sweet, radiant, biscuit-like note that ushers in the amber top notes. However Mitzah is sweeter, a bit gentler while at the same time resinous and woody.

When my skin heated up with this on it I get a tiny whiff of salt, similar to the amber I smell in Creed or Hermes (Eau des Merveilles) but this aura lifts quickly to reveal a much darker and luxuriously soft amber accord. A truly modern oriental, this also has a very classic feel it, like Dior was trying to evoke a style of perfumery from 100 years ago.

I guess you could call this Ambre Douce (soft). And while it would be easy to classify this as the feminine counterpart to the overly masculine Ambre Nuit, I think Mitzah is a scent that could easily be worn by men.

Amber and/or oriental fragrance lovers - you gotta check this one out.

And yes - I think the name looks like mitzvah (!)
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Mitzah by Christian Dior

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I'm still waiting for my samples. And yes, I can't help but think of 'mitzvah' when I saw the name...

I thought it read "Miztah" and thought about when Indie Guy walks by the SA who tried to sell him Mister Seven (M7), she's going to try to sell him this one as "Mister." "It's really Mister just spelled for the chill hanging out generation."
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

(giggle)
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I agree it's pretty unisex although as already mentioned quite sweet.

Blog Entries

Is there significance to the name Mitsah? Unusual in name it is. Wait, is this not a character name from the Jack London story White Fang?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 21st January 2011 at 05:08 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Supposedly its the name of Christian Dior's muse, Mitzah Bricard

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I thought it read "Miztah" and thought about when Indie Guy walks by the SA who tried to sell him Mister Seven (M7), she's going to try to sell him this one as "Mister."............
    Hey miztah, have you got a dime?
    Miztah, do you want to spend some time, oh yeah
    I got what you want
    You got what I need
    I'll be your baby
    Come and spend it on me

Basenotes Plus

First impressions reveal a quiet amber with a touch of incense and some rummy chocolatey patchouli undertones, especially on fabric. Pretty easy to wear but imho it leans close towards the feminine side. Kinda like Ulrich Lang's Nightscape meeting L'Artisan L'eau d'Ambre. Projection is modest at best but longevity is good: 8 hours on skin and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    First impressions reveal a quiet amber with a touch of incense and some rummy chocolatey patchouli undertones, especially on fabric. Pretty easy to wear but imho it leans close towards the feminine side. Kinda like Ulrich Lang's Nightscape meeting L'Artisan L'eau d'Ambre. Projection is modest at best but longevity is good: 8 hours on skin and counting...
    Sounds rather boring, especially as Nightscape was about as basic as a patchouli as you can get, and L'eau d'Ambre about as basic an amber.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by kevin guyer View Post
    hey miztah, have you got a dime?
    Miztah, do you want to spend some time, oh yeah
    i got what you want
    you got what i need
    i'll be your baby
    come and spend it on me
    lol!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Sounds rather boring, especially as Nightscape was about as basic as a patchouli as you can get, and L'eau d'Ambre about as basic an amber.
    You're absolutely right. First impressions were definitely disappointing, especially considering Mitzah was supposedly inspired by a woman named Mitzah Bricard. Perhaps Dior got bored of her in the end, lol...

One down, 6 to go... Up next, probably in another thread, Leather Oud!

I wore this today and I love it! It turned out to be extremely complex and displayed different facets every half hour or so. It opened with an animalic (sweaty) accord of a bright-ish amber. It then moved on to my favorite part where the patchouli and coriander overtake the amber. I did not expect the coriander to be so green and juxtapositing in a warm, amber scent. The effect when combined with the patchouli is as Diamondflame put it as chocolate-y. The coriander's bitterness also seems to balance the sweetness of the amber. Towards the drydown, the incense overtakes the coriander and patchouli and gives off a "transparent" image of Amber Absolute. In the extreme drydown, all that's left is a sweet, biscuit-like amber that cuddly and comforting. Longevity is excellent, and sillage is average during the first 3 hours then drastically dies down afterwards (my only negative).

Very, very nice this stuff is.

EDIT: Mitzah reminds me of a more modern Bal a Versailles!

I finally got to test Mitzah and after all the fuss I've heard about it I probably expected too much. Mitzah is a good spicy/woody oriental with a sweet edge. Incense is detectable but I honestly wouldn't classify this as an incense cmposition. Rose and honey perfectly blends together to assure a warm ambery drydown while patchouli adds a "classic oriental" quality to a well crafted composition that's neither particularly original nor interesting.

Said that, if you're into this type of stuff, give a chance to Herve Domar Diamant Noir which does exactly the same thing at half the price.
    Last edited by alfarom; 7th December 2011 at 05:16 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I tried Mitzah recently too. I'd describe it as the combination of Patchouli Imperial and Ambre Nuit. It is ambery, but not as amber centric as AN. At the same time, it has plenty of patch. I like it, though it's not particularly novel or mind-blowing. Overall, the exclusive line is interesting, but I can't help feeling that they should have rather included some of their old, currently debased, masterpieces.

cacio

MITZAH = a more wearable YATAGAN ? I am wearing this now and my first impression when putting it on was YATAGAN without the celery note. A more wearable version if you will. I am really digging this but I will let it sit for an hr or two more.

The more I smell from the Dior Privee collection the more it fascinates me. Thanks to BN and Fragrantica I was able to know about them.

Good Stuff for sure.

I am considering purchasing Grand Bal as a gift for my mother. It is also a real beauty. Any women dig Grand Bal ?
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 14th September 2012 at 07:54 PM.

This sounds interesting. I certainly like Ambre Nuit. Where are you all getting samples from?

I really wasn't a fan of Mitzah. It has the same feel as Ambre Sultan, which I didn't like either. A spicy deep amber that doesn't resin-ate (pun) well with me.

Ambre Nuit on the other hand is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I really wasn't a fan of Mitzah. It has the same feel as Ambre Sultan, which I didn't like either. A spicy deep amber that doesn't resin-ate (pun) well with me.

Ambre Nuit on the other hand is fantastic.
    It does have a strong amber smell when it dries down which makes is too powdery for me. The top notes are very YATAGAN IMO but it doesn't stay sharp and spicy due to the amber.

I am sure there are better amber based fragrances out there but this is definitely worth a try for both lovers of amber and those who like YATAGAN but hated the lingering celery note. Not for everybody of course but worth a smell.

SCENTF:

I live in NYC ! I smelled it at Bergdoff Goodman since I hate going into the Dior Boutique alone. It is way too stuffy in there for this laid back dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scentfanatic1631 View Post
    This sounds interesting. I certainly like Ambre Nuit. Where are you all getting samples from?
    I like this better than Ambre Nuit. I only sampled Ambre Nuit once but it made zero impression on me.

Basenotes Plus

Just got this at the basenotes Chicago meet up & I adore it...flat out, straight up adoration.

I liked the Amber Nuit too but this one IS definitely sweeter. Does that make it more feminine? I guess it could.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Have to say this is the 'dark horse' of the Privee line. Doesn't get much talk around here, but it should as it's a fantastic scent.

Safe? Ya. But considering the notes used it's blended very well and the combo of honey, amber, incense and chocolate make it yummy and one that is easy to fall for.

A great scent.

Nice scent. Reminds me of a toned down Ambre Sultan, with a touch more incense. Too bad it was apparently discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    Have to say this is the 'dark horse' of the Privee line. Doesn't get much talk around here, but it should as it's a fantastic scent.

Safe? Ya. But considering the notes used it's blended very well and the combo of honey, amber, incense and chocolate make it yummy and one that is easy to fall for.

A great scent.
    What you say is true. It often gets relegated to the shadows of the others in the exclusive line.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Great fragrance. Got a hold of a sample (Thanks JH). Amber done right! I see what Mike means when he says it like Hermes Eau Des Merveilles. Unisex fragrance IMO, which will turn heards at close distances.

I really liked this one when I got my nose on it recently. However, I would find this to be better suited for a woman.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille