Code of Conduct

Default What does sandalwood smell like?

With what would you likened?

Default Re: What does sandalwood smell like?

This is a tough one... Mysore sandalwood has an earthy damp almost fungus( but not in a bad way) smell... It's rich, deep and powerful

Sandalwood in some forms can smell either piney( like art if shaving sandalwood) or like fresh cut wood with a little varnish on it( tam dao) or creamy and spicy( like egoiste, trumper sandalwood, or costume national 21)

It can smell very different depending on who you talk to, I like it very much wen it is creamy but not when it's sharp and herbal

Hope this helps
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I'm also going with the "creamy" description. When it's sharp, spicy, piney, etc., I think that's usually because it's mixed with other notes, which become difficult to separate from the sandalwood itself.

Think rich, milky wood.

I think the most literal interpretation is Floris Sandalwood (not Santal).
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

To me, sandalwood is the smoothest and sweetest of all of the wood notes. The sweetness from sandalwood is not like most sweet notes; the only sweetness I can compare it with is vanilla. As both of these notes are creamy, sweet, and have a little spice. They both have the same construction and feel.

I bought this "Spa Collection" brand scented potpourri spritz from Dollar Tree. The name is actually "Sandalwood and Amber" it doesn't really have amber in it to my nose, more of a direct sandalwood spray. It's a very good take on sandalwood actually, I recommend looking for a cheap sandalwood potpourri spray if you can find one. Sandalwood is a very very cheap fragrance oil/essential oil, one of the cheapest made, so it's common to find good sandalwood potpourri/room sprays for relatively low prices. Same with vanilla potpourri/room sprays.

There is more than one variety of sandalwood. Recommend you get samples of Mysore Sandalwood and Australian Sandalwood from profumo.it (or The Perfumed Court) and you will be able to judge for yourself what the non-synthetic components smell like as liquid.

I agree that the beauty of good sandalwood is its inherent creamy sweetness, but it also has a bitter/sour side. It's wood, after all.

Sandalwood does not smell spicey, piney, sweet or turpey at all. These typical sandalwood smell associations are from cedar or other woods or spice that are often mixed with sandalwood. Sandalwood is a gentle creamy scent with an effortlessly elevating almost unnoticeable resinous body. I have several samples of pure Sandalwood oil and it is very pleasant but a little boring to wear by itself - it is too neutral to wear alone, imo. Sandalwood serves in most scents as a nice stabilizing backdrop and ground to enable other notes to soar. Even in fragrances that are called Sandalwood, it is usually a recessive background note that is colored by the addition of one or more of cedar, rosewood, patchouli, myrrh, vetiver, vanilla, opoponox, cinnamon or cedar. Sandalwood usually stays kind of in the background radiating creamy uplifting good vibes.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 21st January 2011 at 06:13 PM.

I've heard the smell of sandalwood compared to unsalted butter on BN. I checked this myself recently, and it does seem a fair point of reference.

Aside from being a creamy spicy smell to me, it's very soothing and relaxing to me.

DeepSilence

This page could be helpful for everyone:
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/107-...te-Exploration

You really have to smell it... descriptions don't really do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSilence View Post
    This page could be helpful for everyone:
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/107-...te-Exploration
    thanks!

It smells soft, sweet, clean and gentle. I agree it's boring by itself. The oil was -and probably still is, somewhere- used for carrying incense smoke. Apply to hands. Hold on incense. Rub.

Oh and the wood itself smells forever.

DeepSilence

You're welcome
    I'm with Mrclmind. As i see in Sandalwood and Musk pages, we have difference type of notes. It's difficult to recognize them by description. We should try them one by one !!
    (But Musk is easy between other ones IMO)

There can be some sweetness, but it is also tangy and can have a bitterness. And a sample I have definitely has a turpey note.

Blog Entries

I used to get cut sandalwood animal figurines when I was a kid, and I got some sandalwood bookmarks back in the '80's - they all had a powerful, spicy/creamy wood odor. It's a very "fine" spicy odor - not like most spicy notes. Very distinctive.

A great frag to smell modern Australian sandalwood is Quiksilver - $19.95 for a gift set at Marshalls. I actually find that to be more creamy than the old Indian wood.

I have some cheap synthetic sandalwood spray for potpourri - it has a definite buttered popcorn aspect, and doesn't do a good job of smelling like the real thing, IMO.