Code of Conduct

Default Safe blind buys.

Hello all, I was wondering what would be a safe blind buy as I have let myself run out of cologne completly. I was looking into la nuit and voyage but was not sure since I am still green when it comes to fully appreciating fragrances but dont have enough time to go to the mall or anything to sample them.

Colognes that I have owned
    -------------------------
    Curve
    Curve Crush
    Drakkar
    Black-Karen Low
    Code
    Chrome
    Unforgivable
    Tommy
    Tommy sport
    Hugo
    Perry Ellis Red
    Chrome legend

Currently I have on the way
    --------------------
    A*men
    Unforgivable

thank you for any help offered
    oh and what I am lookin for is a versatile fragrace that works for anything that smells good.

Default Re: Safe blind buys.

No such thing!... ADG :-)

LOL Thank you for the honesty!

Alway better to sample first. But I think you may enjoy Chanel's Bleu de Chanel.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    No such thing!... ADG :-)
    That's right. If it's safe it means all of its corners have been rounded off and all of its mix/blend/ingredients formulated so that it will appeal to the most people possible. Thus it will say nothing and be indistinct and just blah. So no to safe blind buys.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I guess you do have a very good point on that well I guess back to the drawing board thank you all for the comments and I will try to check out the new chanel bleu.

Going by the bottles you've previously owned, here are some designer fragrances I would consider safe blind buys:

A*Men Pure Malt
    Allure Homme Sport
    L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme
    L'Occitane Eau de Baux
    Bleu de Chanel
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme
    Guerlain Homme
    YSL L'Homme
    YSL La Nuit De L'Homme
    Marc Jacobs for Men
    Boss Bottled / #6
    Dior Fahrenheit

Thank you for the monster list Chasing the Dragon it is greatly appreciated. I am trying a*men right now to see if I have the hate or love feeling about it so far I am just getting a strong mint smell.

DeepSilence

Welcome Snow1 to the Basenotes.
    Finally you will have many fragrances that you don't like them similar to us!! Don't worry too much.

La Nuit De L'Homme is ok. Get it.
    My safe list:
    Eau Sauvage
    Must De Cartier
    Burberry London
    Rochas Men
    Aramis New West
    Acqua Di Gio
    Boss Baldessarini
    Herrera Men

Thank you for the welcome DeepSilence, as well as thank you for the list I will have to check some of those out right now.

Whe I buy blind I am usually disappointed. Scents I have bought blind are Rochas Man, Creed GIT, Gurlain Vetiver, azzaro pour Homme, Diesel something or other, Cool Water and I am sure there are others. The only one I still own is Azzaro Pour Homme. The rest were traded or given away. I learned to get a sample or buy a minature and try it out before investing my hard earned cash.

WOW! that is quite a few and you really didnt like GIT I thought that stuff was supposed to be like the holy grail of colognes.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow1 View Post
    WOW! that is quite a few and you really didnt like GIT I thought that stuff was supposed to be like the holy grail of colognes.
    Most newbies assume this (the claim is wrong anyway). But since newbies believe it, I'm afraid every teenager with rich parents is going to be wearing my beloved GIT and turn it into some bopper fragrance like all the Hollister and AandF fragrances

Luckily in my areas, most kids aren't spoiled!

Out of all the one mentioned to me the only truly safe ones are:

La Nuit De L'Homme
    Aqua Di Gio

Someone mentioned Eau Sauvage and I would say if you want to smell like an old man from 1972 go for it, otherwise don't even think about it.

Of those I'd recommend, as safe buys: Code, and Hugo. I love the hugo bottle.
    Call me George, my Mum does!
    Looking for bottles/large decants: A&F Fierce, Hollister Jake, Platinum Egoiste, L'instant de Guerlain. PM me

Your ready for some Chanel my friend ... Allure Homme Sport
    Its versatile, quality, great scent, can wear anytime of the year.
    It will serve you well as a signature scent

It really depends on whether you can afford to spend money on something you might not like....

Guess I might have to put in the extra hours to get some chanel to see how that works for me and Gman sorry about that its seems like no matter where I went GIT was the most popular thing that and Issey Miyake.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    Most newbies assume this (the claim is wrong anyway). But since newbies believe it, I'm afraid every teenager with rich parents is going to be wearing my beloved GIT and turn it into some bopper fragrance like all the Hollister and AandF fragrances
    Hey! My parents arent rich and I wear GIT! I wear fierce too though....good thing for you i live in Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    It really depends on whether you can afford to spend money on something you might not like....
    Honestly not really but with a hectic schedule I cant get to a store and then I am a sucker if a girl said hey it smells good like they normally do I just impulse buy and then kick myself later. So I thought I could get some help from some great noses and experience like I said in the beginning I am green in finding all the scents in cologne right now I just tried a*men and all I smell is the tar.

I just tried a*men and all I smell is the tar.
    Try Angel.

You mean the womens edition? dont know if I am brave enought to try something like that.

I really liked it at first, but after about a month there is a note or notes that started to be unwelcome, so I stopped wearing it and traded it for eith MI or SMW. I can remember which one. I still have the SMW and I like it alot.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    Try Angel.
    That stuff is crazy expensive man

All things considered, 101 Men by Giorgio Valenti. It's cheap, unique, won't offend anyone, is well made, has moderate sillage and good longevity. And it's something an aficionado can enjoy, unlike many other "safe" ones.

Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit Absolute
    Chanel Egoiste
    Burberry London
    Yves Saint Laurent - L'homme
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Allure Homme Sport

Sur la Plage

Mugler Cologne
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I totally agree with mrclmind here. Take Creed MI for instance - I would be suprised if more than a small minority of people didn't at least find it "nice" or "pleasant" at worst. BUT if you WERE one of them, of some other way disappointed, it would set you back some serious $.

On the other hand, some fragrance that is really "risky" scent-wise (say something like Kouros or Salvador Dali PH) but only cost $10 might not be a big deal if you thought it smelt like dog poo on a hot day

If you base your tastes on what's trendy and expensive, sure. The reality is that popularity, price, and expert reviews won't tell you how a fragrance performs on your own skin, whether you're allergic/sensitive to something in it, or even if you'll really like the stuff.

Buying blind is fun if you're getting something unusual for a price at which you won't mind being stuck with a stinker. Otherwise, get or buy samples so that you can "try before you buy" ... you might still buy AdG and GIT because they smell darned good to you and on you, or not, but you'd still be happier with what you got.

I think you should buy Acqua Di Gio it is safe I think, and it really does smell great, and where I am not many people wear it. A couple different members on here told me that Perry Ellis Reserve smells like a more expensive Avatar, but I can't actually verify that as I have never tried it, but I trust them. I think Armani Code is pretty safe. Holy crap I recently bought a 2.6oz bottle of something I never heard of at Marshalls called Nickel Eua Maxim for $8, and it is awesome! Probably the best frag I have bought for under $10 I was quite impressed, and for that price it was quite safe. I honestly don't see how anybody could not LOVE Azzaro PH so I wuld say it is safe too.

Arpege pH, Antonio Banderas Seduction in Black, Burberry London, Chrome

j/k on Chrome

Blog Entries

Gucci Pour Homme II
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

You mean the womens edition? dont know if I am brave enought to try something like that.
    It's the same thing.. except it doesn't have tar. What's masculine about an insanely sweet and loud fragrance based around chocolate, vanilla, coffee, caramel, and patchouli? I'd choose Angel ANY DAY over A*Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante10 View Post
    That stuff is crazy expensive man
    Not really. The 50ml can be had for around 55$ on eBay. It's EDP too so it's somehow more concentrated than the already insane A*Men.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    It's the same thing.. except it doesn't have tar. What's masculine about an insanely sweet and loud fragrance based around chocolate, vanilla, coffee, caramel, and patchouli? I'd choose Angel ANY DAY over A*Men.

Not really. The 50ml can be had for around 55$ on eBay. It's EDP too so it's somehow more concentrated than the already insane A*Men.
    You do have a good point about that I just wanted to see if it was such a sillage monster as everyone proclaimed on my skin it only lasted 6 hours it is still there just very faint but I figure I have to try gourmand to see if I like it and this is the one I thought was the best or at least had the most reviews any way.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Mugler Cologne
    +1!

Also if you're going to blind buy something, best to do it from a place like say Sephora or Nordstrom. You don't like it a month later? Just bring it back for refund or exchange, they don't care.