Code of Conduct

Default what was your first legit bottle purchase?

so im not talking about that ADG that you bought because your girlfriend liked it. im talking about the moment you caught that fragrance bug and you had to have a "legitimate" bottle.

mine was le male, i thought i was special until i started smelling it everywhere. so what was your first legit bottle purchase?
    Last edited by Dixon Cider; 21st January 2011 at 07:25 PM.

Default Re: what was your first legit bottle purchase?

legitimate? as in not fake?
    my first legit bottle was my first bottle. Which was fahrenheit.

Le Male.....Christmas giftset....Macy's.Made my Christmas.....

Ralph Lauren Romance Silver. To this day I love the tabbacco note in it.

DeepSilence

Ok, With this description that you said, it's ADG, next one was Rochas Man, and Kouros.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 21st January 2011 at 08:15 PM.

I smell marshmallows!

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    legitimate as in the moment you caught that fragrance bug and you had to have that fragrance you've heard so much about. so fahrenheit was your first bottle purchase ever?

I had bought a few, but it was when i bought Philosykos that got me really excited. It was my first around $100 bottle, something I considered niche and a little weird so i was very happy and felt like I was finally on the 'inside' of the community.
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

CK Eternity

Vera Wang, with the aftershave cologne. Within a week I was loathing the stuff. Thank the gods I discovered Basenotes, as someone was kind enough to relieve me of this atrocity through a swap.

The original Polo was my first bottle. I had been wearing aftershave prior to that, but not cologne.

Tuscany was my first.

Elizabeth Arden's Blue Grass. I thought it was very classy.

Mine was kind of random: Mont Blanc Presence.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Égoïste

Just can't think back that far. Almost 1100 bottles later, I would venture that it was something by Pierre Cardin.

Basenotes Plus

Mine was Le Male as well.....I sold it for some of the same reasons you got over it.

Halston 1-12

I had a couple hand-me-down bottles gifted to me when I was around 13 (Polo Green and Drakkar Noir), but my first bottle I chose and loved was Claiborne's Curve at age 15. I've been working since I was 14 so since I was naturally not making a ton of money at the time, it was a big purchase (it was still in the $65 range at that time).

Curve had only been out for a couple months at the time and I still remember the magazine paper sample I first sampled it with, with a car driving on a winding road with dark, moody lighting. I remember wiping that page all over my neck and pining after it until I bought a big bottle. I wore it nearly exclusively through much of high school before expanding my collection slightly.

I added a few throughout college, including the original Burberry, among others, and my 3rd year signature, Banana Republic Classic. It wasn't until a while after college that I began discovering how vast and incredible the world of perfumery was. I bought a bottle of Silver Mountain Water shortly after graduating college, largely based on marketing and my naive thinking that if it was expensive it must be good (I got it through a discounter, so at least it wasn't that expensive). Fortunately, I loved it, and so many people around me did as well (I still remember the day I received it at my office at the time and going around to everyone making them smell it), so that spurred my interest to see what was out there. Unfortunately, I was broke at the time, so I didn't investigate too hard.

It wasn't until I found this fabulous community that I really gained an understanding of how incredible the industry is. Since then, it's been a hobby and passion that provides a lot of comfort, enjoyment, and satisfaction!

I'm sure that was much more long winded than you were looking for - sorry about that!

To this day, my high school sweetheart still loves Curve and still identifies it with me.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

AromiErotici

It was 1980 and my wife ( at the time ) bought me a bottle of Pino Sylvestre for my birthday.

That caused me to find Acqua de Selva and the rest ( as they say) is me going to the poorhouse.

Egoiste. I was just about to buy a bottle of Opium PH when the SA suggested Egoiste to me because she liked it so much.
    Well, that was an excellent suggestion. Ofcourse I also bought a bottle of Opium PH later on.

Wrestling with the definition of "first legit purchase" but I'd have to say Hai Karate. (It was as bad as everyone says it is).
    That sent me into a dormant period. It may be that my first truly sought out and purchased scent I liked was Pierre Cardin.

Egoiste. It was the first one I fell in love with so my grandmother purchased it for me.

At the time my wardrobe consisted of Drakkar and Lagerfield Photo.

Hugo - Le Male - Brit

Nothing like dating yourself.
    My first purchase in 1976. I loved it, everyone else hated it.

- Expect the unexpected

I had CK1, Brut, and Micheal Jordan before, but those were bought for me. The first frag I sought out was Drakkar Noir after buying a Drakkar scented candle. This was in 2001-2002, and I was 16, so I was an old school guy from the start. I did get Curve soon after that though, but Drakkar was my signature scent until I got Obsession. My collection has grown a lot since then, but I recently rediscovered Drakkar, and it smells awesome on me.

Blog Entries

A*Men. That's well it all went downhill for my wallet

Jacomo De Jacomo and Antaeus in the early 80´s.

Let's see...there was that bottle of Curve ... no, that was from the influence of the sales woman.

A mini-bottle of Egoiste Platinum (Chanel), I think. Later I bought a full size. If not that, then, Herrera for Men (by Carolina Hererra). Sadly, either my nose changed or they changed the formulas.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    Same. When I was a young kid and my dad taught me to shave (didn't have any hair, was just mimicking his actions) and we'd put on Old Spice or whatever else he had, that was what got me started into fragrance. From a real young age. My first full on cologne purchase was Farhenheit. I must've been 14 or something and decided I didn't like it so much so I gave it away.

I haven't smelled it since and I can't wait to try it now that my appetites have changed as an adult. Probably my next purchase.
    .Dave J

Bulgari Aqua and I still like it

I think it was Chanel No 5...my mom wore it and I liked it.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme

CK Be was my first full bottle purchase, a mere three years ago. It was on sale at my local drugstore, and I remembered liking the smell of CK One back in the day, so I said "what the hell". Before that, I didn't wear cologne unless I was dressed up for a special occasion - weddings, fancy dinners, etc. - or nights out with my friends, and I only had a couple of minis and sample vials of Armani Code, CK Obsession, and...cripes, Dolce & Gabbana? I've forgotten. That bottle of CK Be led me, through an innocent Google search, to the online fragrance world - Basenotes, Now Smell This (first perfume blog I ever read), Perfume Posse, etc. - and...well, down the rabbit hole I fell. Three years later my wallet is still hurting, but oh, what sensory richness I've experienced, interesting stories I've heard, and wonderful people I've met (at least in their online incarnations). This is a hobby that keeps on giving.

My first legit, researched, thoughtfully planned-out bottle purchase, after catching the fragrance bug? Le Mâle. (I swapped it away last month.)
    Last edited by subhuman85; 22nd January 2011 at 07:42 PM.

Lacoste style in play!
    Give me a break though I was a junior in HS.

My first scent was Arimas - I think I loved it so much that I managed to empty a 30ml bottle in a month. I smelt great. Well, at least I thought I did.

Green Irish Tweed for me, the fragrance of gods.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

The original Hugo. I LOVED it for a few hours until I found myself getting a headache.

Blog Entries

Well. I never thought about buying a cologne when I visited my mom's side of the family in Canada back in 98 (I was 17). My uncle decided to take me to a fragrance retailer and I sniffed about 3 fragrances. L'eau d'Issey, Polo Sport (it was popular at my school back in California), and Acqua di Gio. Out of the 3, I chose Acqua di Gio, but I was torn between L'eau d'Issey and Acqua di Gio. I simply asked, "Which one's newer?" We all know the answer to that one. So, my uncle bought me my first cologne, which I picked myself. I wore AdG until the atomizer nozzle broke off and threw that bottle away back in 2001. I almost wished I still had it as a keepsake.

It wasn't until late 2007, roughly after Thanksgiving did I really look into buying another bottle of cologne. I've pondered it for a while and decided against it because I was so intimidated by the fragrance counter. So many choices and I didn't know what I liked. I also had a year long subscription to GQ Magazine that I got for free somewhere. This was the end of my subscription around this time. So I was flipping through it and I took a sniff of Le Male. That's when I decided I should buy Le Male. So I did internet research on what cologne does well with the ladies (as any straight, single, male newbie would). I bought the 4.2 oz of Le Male from a fragrance counter in the middle of the mall (they were legit, BTW). It was then when I learned the hard way that it was just way too much juice to be used for what it is. That's when I did further research to see what others thought about my purchase of Le Male because I soon discovered it was a cold weather scent. Cold weather scents aren't used too long here in California. I had to get other stuff. So, here I am. At least fragrance counters don't scare me anymore. At least they shouldn't.

PS: I purchased about 5 bottles within a week of owning Le Male. B*Men, Burberry Touch, Lacoste Pour Homme, Rykiel Homme, and Bulgari Aqua. To this day, only Bulgari Aqua survived in my wardrobe. Everything else, including Le Male, was sold eventually.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 22nd January 2011 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Well. I never thought about buying a cologne when I visited my mom's side of the family in Canada back in 98 (I was 17). My uncle decided to take me to a fragrance retailer and I sniffed about 3 fragrances. L'eau d'Issey, Polo Sport (it was popular at my school back in California), and Acqua di Gio. Out of the 3, I chose Acqua di Gio, but I was torn between L'eau d'Issey and Acqua di Gio. I simply asked, "Which one's newer?" We all know the answer to that one. So, my uncle bought me my first cologne, which I picked myself. I wore AdG until the atomizer nozzle broke off and threw that bottle away back in 2001. I almost wished I still had it as a keepsake.

It wasn't until late 2007, roughly after Thanksgiving did I really look into buying another bottle of cologne. I've pondered it for a while and decided against it because I was so intimidated by the fragrance counter. So many choices and I didn't know what I liked. I also had a year long subscription to GQ Magazine that I got for free somewhere. This was the end of my subscription around this time. So I was flipping through it and I took a sniff of Le Male. That's when I decided I should buy Le Male. So I did internet research on what cologne does well with the ladies (as any straight, single, male newbie would). I bought the 4.2 oz of Le Male from a fragrance counter in the middle of the mall (they were legit, BTW). It was then when I learned the hard way that it was just way too much juice to be used for what it is. That's when I did further research to see what others thought about my purchase of Le Male because I soon discovered it was a cold weather scent. Cold weather scents aren't used too long here in California. I had to get other stuff. So, here I am. At least fragrance counters don't scare me anymore. At least they shouldn't.

PS: I purchased about 5 bottles within a week of owning Le Male. B*Men, Burberry Touch, Lacoste Pour Homme, Rykiel Homme, and Bulgari Aqua. To this day, only Bulgari Aqua survived in my wardrobe. Everything else, including Le Male, was sold eventually.
    great story, you should put up some more youtube videos. you had one of the good channels that actually made a little sense. even tho i don't think you had any fragrance reviews

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    Ralph Lauren Romance Silver
    This

Bulgari pour Homme Extrême and Penhaligon's Opus 1870. Ordered a week ago based on descriptions in reviews on Basenotes.net, and received on Friday. In the case of the Opus 1870 I was particularly swayed by Penhaligon's slightly terrifying anthropomorphic owl.

Aramis
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

CK The One, less than 2 months ago. However I was an enthusiast back in the 80's with Quorum, Kouros, Drakar Noir, Aramis, Polo and so on. Before the internet

Obsession; then Coco (in the very early nineties)

Chevignon Brand for Men in my mid-teen years: it did not get any compliments, just some so-so remarks, but it was fun just the same

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Cider View Post
    great story, you should put up some more youtube videos. you had one of the good channels that actually made a little sense. even tho i don't think you had any fragrance reviews
    I hate to put this thread off topic for a quick moment, but I feel weird when I don't respond back to someone talking directly to me. LOL. Nah, not sure when I'll ever put up another video. I just lay low nowadays and support my other fellow YouTube reviewers by commenting (even if a lot of the comments are just for my own odd sense of humor). I'm glad you thought I made sense! I'm not very good with note break downs, but I know everything else about a fragrance. So at least it's a far cry from, "this smells clean" when I wore Acqua di Gio or even mispronouncing "Le Male" as "Le Man" let alone spelling "Jean-Paul Gaultier" incorrectly when I read an old journal entry (it's an off site journal for myself, not the BN one). Didn't think it was possible to misspell something I actually own.

What's funny is that my first ever niche bottle is on it's way in the mail sometime next week.

first "legit" one i bought was a blind buy a few weeks back of YSL's La Nuit De L'Homme (disappointed). others ive had prior were Ck one, Cool water, ADG (gift), lucky no 6. Also picked up kenneth cole black and emporio armani diamonds. still looking for that scent.

The original Calvin.

I can't really remember which one was first. But in the early years, I had Polo Sport, Clinique Happy, L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme, Blue Jeans! hahahahaha OMG!!

I had Tommy Hilfiger when I was really young, given as a gift from a cousin or something. I bought Chrome but still didn't really get it until I bought Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue, thats when it clicked with me.

In my teens I purchased Halston Z-14.....In my 20's my first bottle was Lagerfeld.....The next were Chanels, Egoiste Platinum and Pour Monsieur!!!
    Gary