Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question One Step Behind?

I cannot help but think about this since the year has started. This is my third perfumista year, and before it I wore little to no perfume at all. 2009 was a very slow year, I only tried several new fragrances and acquired a several minis and a couple of FBs. Then I discovered perfume sites and swapping.

Everything started rolling pretty quick and in 2010 I sampled many fragrances. And I found out that my tastes shifted dramatically during this year, and that my collection is one step (at least!) behind of what I like today. I redid the ratings in my collection today and that was, well, sobering.

Fellow playmates, share your stories! Did you experience a sudden shift of taste early in your perfumisti years? Do you feel they stabilize at some point? I'd love to hear your stories!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Warum; 22nd January 2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: One Step Behind?

Well,you know about my falling out with 24 Faubourg,Warum!While I have had my flirtations with loud white florals in the past,I think I can safely say my taste for them is mostly gone.There are some loves that have remained constant,such as Shalimar,since my teen years.As I get older,I find my tastes going back to my beginnings;I'm still loving iris,vanilla and bergamot along with rose and violet.I think what happens is a streamlining of our tastes with all this sampling.I do have several fragrances I would now give up for one excellent scent,so yes,I think my wardrobe has some catching up to do as well!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Blog Entries

When I first decided to sample as much as I could, I knew pretty much nothing. The scents I liked were usually sweet and fruity, and I spent a lot of time trying women's fruity florals and weird things that I liked at the time and don't appreciate so much now. And there is a significant portion of my wardrobe in a bag in a closet that never gets touched, which I largely have to show for this.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Hard to say what happens to one's tastes over time and experience; it seems to be highly individual. I started off loving Chypres and still love them best. I also love Orientals and keep adding to my list. Original favorites like Aromatics Elixir and Knowing have gone into, and out of, and back into my collection multiple times.

The note of black pepper has gone out and stayed out. Patchouli and sandalwood remain mainstays. Amber and vanilla are newer loves.

Chanel, Guerlain, and Montale keep amusing me. Profumum, the Italian company, impresses me more and more. I still enjoy the occasional, unusual Madini.

All-natural perfumes continue to attract me. I judge them by a wholly different criteria from synthetics. I appreciate each for what they are.

Perhaps the biggest change is that I realize that my collection must remain small in order for me to enjoy it. I don't want to rotate through 20 bottles anymore. I'd rather have only a few at a time. The more I get, the more I want, and the more I end up wishing I had bought others instead, and it gets out of hand. So, I keep it small.

I have always loved fragrance.....Even as a little boy I loved to smell good.....I would always want to wear my Dad's Cologne and that's how it started.....I even remember taking the time to smell all of my Mother's and GrandMother's perfumes.....I knew they were not for me but still enjoyed taking the time to smell each one!!!
    I've always had a pretty good collection over the years but I must say that my introduction to Basenotes back in 2003 was a great turning point!!! This is when my collection really grew.....I was also introduced to Niche Fragrances here which has also helped me to the next level of fragrance.....Great Thread!!!
    gary

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

It's interesting to learn of your present perspective, purplebird.

Like you, Warum, I'm a fairly recent inductee, and the journey continues to wobble all over. I'm surprised by everything — how some juice remains in my affection from first exposure, how others rise and fall because of wearying notes or change of season or having been one-upped by a better formulation, and how unimagined fragrances have wowed me. Ordering samples almost proves fruitless. It seems like I blunder upon revelations better than I can seek them out.

I think of my present status as "coasting" rather than "stalled" and trust that new pleasures will come about somehow.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Hello Warum, (I always want to call you by your real name!!!) You and I found perfume the same year. Yes, I wish I wouldn't have bought as much as I did in 2009, however, my very first bottle ever, Bois D'Armenie, is still a big ol' love. And my second bottle, isavaraya, is still high up there.

But at this point I really only want Guerlain and Caron; and Fidji. Old School chypres, with oak moss the way nature intended. Here are my current 'this is all I really need' frags:

-Fidji. Vintage. I would knock someone down for this.
    -Pour une femme. Parfum. My signature scent.
    -Bois D'armenie. The scent that took my perfume virginity. I'll always be fond of it.
    -Apres L'ondee. I'd give up dark chocolate for this.
    -Alpona. Best representative of my skin-profile preference (woody green).
    -Vintage Narciss Noir. This is the best perfume of all time; I'm too embarrassed not to list it here.
    -Vintage Nuit de Noel. I cried when my sample came in- it's solid gold
    -Nahema Parfum. Nothing says 'Yes, I'm that kind of woman' like Nahema
    -Mitsouko. No comment needed.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Basenotes Institution

PerfumedLady - I wore 24 Faubourg for years and then I fell out of love with it too!

My tastes have changed with my perfumista journeys. I know for a fact now that no matter what - at the core of my tastes lies forever Guerlain. Then Chanel.

I learnt to love white florals madly and desire gourmands and sweet scents too. However the one thing I've learnt about myself is essentially I like dry and classic fragrances. Sort of full circle for me.

I began with Chanel No 5 and Mitsouko many years ago and here I am again with these two.
    I also learnt to never say never to any fragrance.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Warum, I also started very late in my life, in 2007, and knew nothing and had worn very little perfume during all my earlier years. My taste has changed and my ability to smell has developed since I started. The truth is that my smelling ability is very poor, but I started this perfume hobby anyway and I have learned and experienced so much in these few fragrance years. I now can get some notes from perfumes, from the beginning I just got smell. Recently I wore Parfum Sacré again and I thought that there hade to be cedar in it - and yes I checked the notes and I was right. Now I have learned that cedar is a very difficult note for me, most times I have tried perfumes with cedar they have been impossible for me to wear but the cedar in Parfum Sacré works. After a while I also started to wear my perfumes for at least five days in a row, and when I do that I get to know them in a deeper sense. When I now wore Parfum Sacré again for a week I did'nt only get the cedar, for the first time I also got the incense. It's so lovely to wear those fragrances that develop and behave differently and surprises you some days.

My taste has also changed. The first perfumes I bought in 2007 were 5th Avenue from Elisabeth Arden and J'adore. I don't think I would buy them now when I know so much more about perfume. I don't mean that I would think that they were awful, but there are so many lovely and interesting perfumes in the world and I realize that I never will be able to wear them all. However I still am at the flowery side so flowery perfumes and florientals are my favourites.

So much has happened during my 3 1/2 perfume years. I'm very fond of Nicolaï perfumes and I'm so happy that I bought my three Grossmiths. Nearly from the beginning when I learned about reformulations I got interested in how perfumes would have smelled earlier in the 20th century and 19th century. I don't want to buy vintage perfume on Ebay but the houses of Nicolaï, Grossmith, and I think Amouage wich I slowly have started to explore, give me the opportunity to smell something resembling the old formulations. Always when I read "like in the old days" on perfume boards I get interested. So when I realised that Frederic Malle Le Parfum de Therese was created in the 1960s I had to sample it. That was a difficult one, it took some time before I liked it, but after a while I did and bought it.

Oh, have I ever written so much at the same time here on Basenotes?

Well, my answer is that I have changed and developed a lot since I started and I think this process will continue. Isn't this a wonderful hobby?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Novis2007 View Post
    I now can get some notes from perfumes, from the beginning I just got smell.
    Yes! If ever there is a Basenotes song, that should be a line amongst the lyrics.
    So glad to see you posting, Novis. I don't remember you're writing that much at one time either.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    PerfumedLady - I wore 24 Faubourg for years and then I fell out of love with it too!
    Hmm...we both hate Euphoria,both love Mitsouko(now,anyway!),both had broken affairs with Faubourg-and you mention another I have recently learned to love,No.5.Are we possibly scent sisters?!I think I need to raid your wardrobe!

This is a wonderful thread-great idea,Warum!I'm really enjoying all the varied responses!

This really is a good thread, Warum.

My wardrobe was one step behind. I've gone through a deep cleaning this year. One fume I said goodbye to was one I didn't love, but liked enough to wear pre-BN, and mostly because I didn't know anything better existed! lol. I was big into gourmands at first for that same reason. I still like them, and enough so to keep a couple in my wardrobe, but that is no longer a genre I actively seek out. I ended up growing out of one gourmand I felt sure would always be a constant in my wardrobe.
    I discovered that I like spicy orientals, oakmoss, and Caron. That was two years ago, and now I still prefer orientals but have lost my taste for oakmoss, and sort of fell out of love with the Carons. I cut the number of fumes from that house in my wardrobe in half, and purposed to use up an oriental I felt was redundant. I've kept my two oakmoss-heavy scents because I suspect I'll come around on those again.
    I learned early on of the brilliance of leather, incense, and aldehydes. Tabac Blond was a revelation for me, and the only Caron I can't really live without. Chanel No. 22 left me giddy. If I had to narrow it down to two, these would be it. In all the flux, my mind has not changed on either of these.
    I tried to play the vintage game, but found that while those fumes are fun to find and fun to try, they're just not my thing, for a number of reasons. So I gave a bunch of those away, too (and passed recently on one of those round bottles of Shalimar with the pointy top. That was a little hard, I'll admit.)
    This summer I had my first positive experience with an amber, so I've been curious again about this note, especially upon learning it can be herbal or spicy, and that it's the herbal iterations I have trouble with.

My wardrobe is really in a constant state of refinement. I'd like to have it under 15 some day. There are a couple in there that I don't wear much but need to stay put for personal reasons.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 23rd January 2011 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    It's interesting to learn of your present perspective, purplebird.
    I couldn't handle how greedy I had become. It was disturbing to feel that way--that I could not be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    ... I cut the number of fumes from that house in my wardrobe in half...
    So I gave a bunch of those away, too...
    Sunnyfunndy did it too. And it felt good, didn't it? Cleansing. Liberating.

I'm like that, though. I hit saturation point, and I have to fly. Guess it's the bird thing.

Blog Entries

When I first joined Basenotes I was overwhelmed by the types of fragrances and terms and, of course the vast array of brands and choices within the brands. Early-on I developed a love for the classic fragrances like Mitsouko and although Mitsouko is still my best friend I have dabbled in niche fragrances. I have little love for designer fragrances, with some exceptions, of course. Of late I have become very involved with niche, most especially Parfumerie Generale and Sonoma Scent Studio. So, yes, there has been evolution going on in my fragrance journey and likely much more to come. I fully recognize that the idea that the more I know, the more I know how little I know, certainly applies.

Blog Entries

Incredibly grateful to all your responses!
    I truly want to converse with everyone here!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Well,you know about my falling out with 24 Faubourg,Warum!
    [...]
    .As I get older,I find my tastes going back to my beginnings [...] I think what happens is a streamlining of our tastes with all this sampling.
    Yes, I do, and when I tested it I thought the same -- very loud white florals. I am not ready to write the sample off yet, because it's a very fine fragrance, just not my style, and I'd like to pay attention to it, even though I know I am not likely to wear it on the regular bases. My favorite white florals are lily and LOTV which brings me to another point you're making -- about going back to beginnings. LOTV was my very first fragrance, given to me by my Granny, and I am still delighted when I can catch a whiff of it in my new La Collection Climat. I think, right now my tastes are going in a direction of tolerating a lot more complexity. There's a lot more going on in Climat than in my Granny's beloved LOTV soliflore. Interestingly, and I am digressing, my tastes in classical music undergo a similar transformation. Used to be a solo piano lover, I enjoy the symphonies now. Same with perfume. I will be back to streamlining, I am sure, some years down the road...

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    When I first decided to sample as much as I could, I knew pretty much nothing. The scents I liked were usually sweet and fruity, and I spent a lot of time trying women's fruity florals and weird things that I liked at the time and don't appreciate so much now. And there is a significant portion of my wardrobe in a bag in a closet that never gets touched, which I largely have to show for this.
    This is how I came in. I did not have an idea about olfactory families, for one things, or a notes pyramid, until the end of 2009 when I discovered Fragrantica! Yep, and some bottles from my wardrobe aren't getting much love from me.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Perhaps the biggest change is that I realize that my collection must remain small in order for me to enjoy it. I don't want to rotate through 20 bottles anymore. I'd rather have only a few at a time. The more I get, the more I want, and the more I end up wishing I had bought others instead, and it gets out of hand. So, I keep it small.
    And yes, this is another tough balance to find, between a collection and samples. I also would like to keep a small collection of FBs, 10 sounds like a good number right now, and have some samples/decants as a process of learning about new fragrances. As a newbie I have a lot of learning to do.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I have always loved fragrance.....Even as a little boy I loved to smell good.....I would always want to wear my Dad's Cologne and that's how it started.....I even remember taking the time to smell all of my Mother's and GrandMother's perfumes.....I knew they were not for me but still enjoyed taking the time to smell each one!!!
    I'm afraid I've never even seen a bottle of a male cologne until I came to by Mr W one!

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I've always had a pretty good collection over the years but I must say that my introduction to Basenotes back in 2003 was a great turning point!!! This is when my collection really grew.....I was also introduced to Niche Fragrances here which has also helped me to the next level of fragrance.....Great Thread!!!
    Thanks, Gary, I am happy I started this thread and can talk to you all! And yes, Basenotes was a huge turning point to me, as well as meeting two amazing guides in the world of fragrance -- BayKAT and DoctorMod. I would not be on the Basenotes if not for you!

I'm surprised by everything — how some juice remains in my affection from first exposure, how others rise and fall because of wearying notes or change of season or having been one-upped by a better formulation, and how unimagined fragrances have wowed me. Ordering samples almost proves fruitless. It seems like I blunder upon revelations better than I can seek them out.
    I don't have anything to say, Quarry, but this thought is going into that place in my mind where my unconscious creativity works. I hope it will come up with something interesting! But yes, not to obsess over buying samples -- what a thought! Thank you! I really WILL be thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    Hello Warum, (I always want to call you by your real name!!!) You and I found perfume the same year.
    Feel free, my dear, I will not mind, or just use an initial. I was writing about you above, as my first guide into real perfume world. We've started out with similar tastes (rose and greens) and now we're further apart, but it's always so interesting to hear from you about your Carons, Guerlains and chypres!

What! No Or et Noir in here! See what I mean? This is the only Caron I will even consider (so far; and take that fire away from me! ) But it's always so good to know where the journey is taking us.
    BTW, I ran out of bubble mailers, but on Monday your mail will be on its way!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I also learnt to never say never to any fragrance.
    Yes, I am here to say the same thing; also I am not ready to say "always" or "forever" to any of them, either.

More later, friends!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Novis2007 View Post
    Oh, have I ever written so much at the same time here on Basenotes?

Well, my answer is that I have changed and developed a lot since I started and I think this process will continue. Isn't this a wonderful hobby?
    I don't know if you had, but I am certainly glad you did, as I learned a lot and enjoyed your story very much!
    Yes, it is a wonderful hobby, and I am enjoying it very much, and certainly developing along the way. It develops my sense of smell and awareness of the smells around me, but it also helps me to recognize my preferences in wider areas of life, not just fragrance, and helps to say no. Of all things! But it does.

It's very interesting to hear what you said about classics. I found out about reformulations, and ebay is not super attractive to me either, so I will take your hint at the places where one can find classic aesthetics without actually going to the perfumes of the past.

This is a wonderful thread-great idea,Warum!I'm really enjoying all the varied responses!
    Thanks, dear! I'm glad I got brave and posted!

This really is a good thread, Warum.

My wardrobe was one step behind. I've gone through a deep cleaning this year.
    Oh, thank you so much! In this thread I literally spoke my mind -- and heart. It's very important to me right now, and I guess as we all share this, we all were at this point at different times. I will be giving stuff away, I am sure, at some point. And I am sure it would be hard.

Oh, aldehydes! Oh, incense! I discovered these this year. I thought I did not like aldehydes, and I had zero experience with incense. The speed with which I am changing is super fast, hence the title of the post. Almost ahead of myself if such thing is possible at all By the way, remember a thread "recommend based on one's wardrobe"? You described my wardrobe as light florals, and this inspired me to think about my wardrobe and me. So, you've been an inspiration for this thread

I couldn't handle how greedy I had become. It was disturbing to feel that way--that I could not be satisfied.
    I am so happy that I stopped before this point. With bottles, that is. Now need to figure out how to tame down the sampling. But yes, I think I tend to stop before things get out of hand and start to disturb me seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    When I first joined Basenotes I was overwhelmed by the types of fragrances and terms and, of course the vast array of brands and choices within the brands. [...] So, yes, there has been evolution going on in my fragrance journey and likely much more to come. I fully recognize that the idea that the more I know, the more I know how little I know, certainly applies.
    Well put! As one Greek philosopher said, the more we know, the larger becomes the boundary between known and unknown! I am quite overwhelmed by choices too, but I think I will be able to steer myself through them -- and thank you all for helping me with it!

[QUOTE=Warum;2055868] My favorite white florals are lily and LOTV which brings me to another point you're making -- about going back to beginnings. LOTV was my very first fragrance, given to me by my Granny, and I am still delighted when I can catch a whiff of it in my new La Collection Climat. [QUOTE]

Oh,Climat is very nice,congrats on a lovely purchase!I went through a bottle myself back in the '80's.Lily-of-the-valley is one white floral that hasn't turned traitor on me,as long as it's balanced with other notes.I like my florals on the complicated side,too(I suppose because I'm a chypre/oriental kind of girl);Une Rose from our recent Malle sample pass is a good example of what I mean.It really does smell just like a rose on the bush,yet it's complex-sort of a "soliflore plus more".Having said that,sometimes a perfectly linear soliflore that is a true impression of the flower it represents is just what my nose and soul need!No olfactory challenges,just enjoying the scents of nature!How wonderful that your fragrance journey will always be linked to your Granny and the scent of sweet and tiny L-O-V flowers!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 24th January 2011 at 03:18 AM.

Sunnyfunny did it too. And it felt good, didn't it? Cleansing. Liberating.
    It felt very good. I've had this thing-- if I want to buy a new one, I have to get rid of one. Ideally, I would have a nice, compact wardrobe composed of only scents I wear on a regular basis and I feel reflect me. If it hasn't been worn in a year, it no longer reflects me and it doesn't need to be taking up space. But I had a thought last night. It's okay for me to keep some I don't wear much, if at all. There are still a few that don't need to be in there, but the Cool Water flanker my DH gave to me on Valentine's Day, the clean, cold floral I wore on my wedding day, the two vintage Avons that take me back to my young perfumista years... those reflect me as much, if not more than, my top five.

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    ...In this thread I literally spoke my mind -- and heart. It's very important to me right now, and I guess as we all share this, we all were at this point at different times. I will be giving stuff away, I am sure, at some point. And I am sure it would be hard.

Oh, aldehydes! Oh, incense! I discovered these this year. I thought I did not like aldehydes, and I had zero experience with incense. The speed with which I am changing is super fast, hence the title of the post. Almost ahead of myself if such thing is possible at all By the way, remember a thread "recommend based on one's wardrobe"? You described my wardrobe as light florals, and this inspired me to think about my wardrobe and me. So, you've been an inspiration for this thread
    I remember going through your wardrobe that day and being surprised! Good on you, friend. Watching your senses change, develop, and grow is pretty cool.
    Incense is so fascinating, isn't it! I've got a couple CDG Incense Series samples I can't part with because they are so very... different. No food, spice, or plant-based scent has the ability to transport me to another place and time like incense scents. They feel more personal to me. There's one I've been on the fence about for a year and a half, not because I don't thoroughly enjoy it, but because I can't bend my head around wearing it in public, and my downtime is minimal; I'd want to wear it more than I have the occasion to.

As I've just been into the hobby for one year, I'm still a hummingbird -- I'm sniffing and acquiring and flying from bloom to bloom (frantically sometimes!), sucking up all the nectar that I can!
    I acquired A LOT in the past year. I spent a zillion hours and, in spite of many ebay and discount bargains, a big chunk of money doing it!
    So, with the new year, I did take a step back -- and reviewed my wardrobe. Added lots of items to swap list -- actually, I plan on selling or gifting most of these.
    My fragrance resolution for this year is to stop acquiring full bottles ( of course I made several exceptions: some backups of a few discontinueds, several items I've been waiting to get, and some matching lotions) -- because I need the time to settle into my wardrobe and play with what I've got. I've been trying out small decants, and resisting the urge to buy otherwise. So far so good.
    I think it's too soon for me to restrict to 10 or 20, though I like the idea of being able to do that. But right now I'm still in love with 40 or 50!
    Last edited by C Rose; 26th January 2011 at 04:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Oh,Climat is very nice,congrats on a lovely purchase!I went through a bottle myself back in the '80's.Lily-of-the-valley is one white floral that hasn't turned traitor on me,as long as it's balanced with other notes.I like my florals on the complicated side,too(I suppose because I'm a chypre/oriental kind of girl);Une Rose from our recent Malle sample pass is a good example of what I mean.It really does smell just like a rose on the bush,yet it's complex-sort of a "soliflore plus more".Having said that,sometimes a perfectly linear soliflore that is a true impression of the flower it represents is just what my nose and soul need!No olfactory challenges,just enjoying the scents of nature!How wonderful that your fragrance journey will always be linked to your Granny and the scent of sweet and tiny L-O-V flowers!
    Yes, dear, it is very nice to think about it that way. Me and my Granny were very close and I am glad to think about her connected to my fragrance journey.
    Climat is not the same as it was in the 80s, I am sure, but nice and strong! I only use 2 spritzes.

It felt very good. I've had this thing-- if I want to buy a new one, I have to get rid of one. Ideally, I would have a nice, compact wardrobe composed of only scents I wear on a regular basis and I feel reflect me.
    Oh Gosh, this makes sense, but it would scare me to pieces to actually institute this rule. Mind me, I am not afraid of rules -- one of them is finish the sample before buying a FB. But this one... I will get rid of some bottles that do not reflect me any more. I will. But not the Alien.

I remember going through your wardrobe that day and being surprised! Good on you, friend. Watching your senses change, develop, and grow is pretty cool.
    Yes, you were -- because I was already ahead of my wardrobe in my talk thank you, my friend, it is so nice to hear your thoughts! <3

Incense is so fascinating, isn't it! I've got a couple CDG Incense Series samples I can't part with because they are so very... different. No food, spice, or plant-based scent has the ability to transport me to another place and time like incense scents. They feel more personal to me. There's one I've been on the fence about for a year and a half, not because I don't thoroughly enjoy it, but because I can't bend my head around wearing it in public, and my downtime is minimal; I'd want to wear it more than I have the occasion to.
    Yes, this is exactly how I got hooked on incense. I was in the skin type/scent consultation with Dawn Spencer Hurwitz and she brought me some of her incense scents. I loved one, but I told her that I cannot imagine any situation in which I would be wearing it. She said, oh well, you can have a perfume just for you. I thought it made sense, and went home with a sample of "my introverted perfume". Since, I've been wearing it out with friends, so my way of using it expanded. I love incense! And I love the particular one I am speaking of -- Cardamom and Khyphi -- for its ability to center me. I do wear it when I work from home and need to be concentrated and centered.

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    So, with the new year, I did take a step back -- and reviewed my wardrobe. Added lots of items to swap list -- actually, I plan on selling or gifting most of these.
    My fragrance resolution for this year is too stop acquiring full bottles ( of course I made several exceptions: some backups of a few discontinueds, several items I've been waiting to get, and some matching lotions) -- because I need the time to settle into my wardrobe and play with what I've got. I've been trying out small decants, and resisting the urge to buy otherwise. So far so good.
    I think it's too soon for me to restrict to 10 or 20, though I like the idea of being able to do that. But right now I'm still in love with 40 or 50!
    Yep! I understand! That's where my "finish sample first' rule comes from. At least, samples do not multiply in volume as fast as the FBs do. And I also think it's super important to be able to play with what you got. Angela at NST wrote a beautiful article about it -- have you read this??
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/10/11...-keep-the-old/
    See, I don't know that I can be in love with 40 or 50. That would mean to me stop sampling...
    Your swap list is pretty impressive! A word of warning about swapping: I just started swapping samples to unload myself of some and I acquired more than I swapped, even though I've been including extras. Good Heavens! More to try, yes, some of it is the stuff I've been dying to try, but swaps decrease the numbers less than one would think, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    As I've just been into the hobby for one year, I'm still a hummingbird -- I'm sniffing and acquiring and flying from bloom to bloom (frantically sometimes!), sucking up all the nectar that I can!
    I acquired A LOT in the past year. I spent a zillion hours and, in spite of many ebay and discount bargains, a big chunk of money doing it!
    My fragrance resolution for this year is too stop acquiring full bottles ( of course I made several exceptions: some backups of a few discontinueds, several items I've been waiting to get, and some matching lotions) -- because I need the time to settle into my wardrobe and play with what I've got. I've been trying out small decants, and resisting the urge to buy otherwise. So far so good.
    This is so....me. I've been enjoying the journey for almost a year now. The perfume that I wore for years and years as a signature scent - Liz Claiborne's Realities (in the orange triangle box) was discontinued, and for a couple of years I tried different things that the SAs in the mall stores recommended. Then I found Basenotes, and my perfume world expanded exponentially. One of the first things I did was to order that Realities on-line. And I recently gave it away, because it seemed so...well, not me anymore. I bought way too many things that now don't seem to fit me as well. In the beginning, I thought I loved "greens" - and I do, but not as much as I love ambers, and spices, and vanillas. A year ago, I would have been totally bewildered by Bois de Paradis and Fille en Aiguilles and Ormonde Jayne Woman but now they are my new loves. Like Purplebird and her chypres, I have always loved citrus and I still count them among my favorites. But now there are so many to try that I never imagined!

Like many who have posted here, I am looking at my stash and deciding not to buy full bottles for a while (except one that Evangeline introduced me to that I have to have as soon as possible - bad Evangeline. Bad, bad Evangeline). I'm going to get rid of some things that I thought I loved, I'm now into decants to decide if I like it well enough to think about a full bottle, and I still haunt Ebay and the other fragrance sites, but I feel like I'm more discerning now. I am still delighted by samples that contain things I've never smelled before. But I've found I don't have to buy a bottle immediately.

I've grown.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Blog Entries

I had very broad tastes in perfume when I was in my teens and 20s and didn't shy away from heavy hitters.

Then in my 30s I started getting headaches from most scents, and started wearing soliflore perfumes, which became the bulk of my collection. However more recently I've begun enjoying amber, incense, cassis and today I wore and loved a scent based on on chocolate and cognac (a DIY by wooznib). At the same time my enthusiasm for violets has dimmed considerably.

As to my collection, there are a number that I would not (or could not) replace, and when they are gone, there won't be more. Some I don't wear often, but I don't feel they are irrelevant to me or that I have to get rid of them. Even if I only wear them occasionally, they have their use.

The journey definitely continues.

I have been interested in perfume for as long as I can remember, but things turned more "serious" in 2002 when I found fragrance forums. At that point I was mostly into Orientals, especially ones with amber, sandalwood and vanilla notes. Then I wanted to learn more about Chypres and slowly but surely explored a great variety of scents and learned to love notes I hadn't liked before, for example vetiver.

My wardrobe expanded until I reached the point where my wishlist suddenly shrank, and it has been over two years since I bought any perfume. Though my taste has definitely changed (or perhaps "expanded" is a better verb), I haven't stopped loving anything I have loved in the past and I revisit my old favourites every now and then. Thus I see no reason to get rid of scents I still love, even if I don't wear them as often as I used to. I like the fact that my wardrobe has many layers and tells a story about my perfume history.

More about my journey in my blog: http://www.basenotes.net/entries/146...y-So-Far-vol.1
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coopmom View Post
    In the beginning, I thought I loved "greens" - and I do, but not as much as I love ambers, and spices, and vanillas.
    Did you make an adjustment for a season?.. now is the season for the ambers, spices, and vanillas, but maybe in the Spring and Summer you will find them not as fitting as the greens. Just a thought! and welcome, dear, haven't heard from you in a while. hope you've been well. I'll be sending the sampler pack your way soon, I am almost done with it!

Quote Originally Posted by coopmom View Post
    Like many who have posted here, I am looking at my stash and deciding not to buy full bottles for a while [...]
    I'm now into decants to decide if I like it well enough to think about a full bottle, and I still haunt Ebay and the other fragrance sites, but I feel like I'm more discerning now. I am still delighted by samples that contain things I've never smelled before. But I've found I don't have to buy a bottle immediately.

I've grown.
    You know... this is so... me!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I
    As to my collection, there are a number that I would not (or could not) replace, and when they are gone, there won't be more. Some I don't wear often, but I don't feel they are irrelevant to me or that I have to get rid of them. Even if I only wear them occasionally, they have their use.
    Yes, this is an important thing to think about -- I started now thinking that every time you buy a bottle this may be the last time you're getting the same juice. It's kind of counter-intuitive, since you'd think that the same name and brand guarantees the same juice inside, but we all know this isn't so. So... yes, that's why I have 120 ml of Yvresse and happy about it. This should last me long enough.
    Last edited by Warum; 26th January 2011 at 05:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    My wardrobe expanded until I reached the point where my wishlist suddenly shrank, and it has been over two years since I bought any perfume. Though my taste has definitely changed (or perhaps "expanded" is a better verb), I haven't stopped loving anything I have loved in the past and I revisit my old favourites every now and then. Thus I see no reason to get rid of scents I still love, even if I don't wear them as often as I used to. I like the fact that my wardrobe has many layers and tells a story about my perfume history.

More about my journey in my blog: http://www.basenotes.net/entries/146...y-So-Far-vol.1
    Thank you for answering, Tigrushka, and I am going to read your blog post.
    I am hoping that I will arrive in the same place at some point. This is what I meant by "stabilization" of one's taste in perfume.
    Do you sample still? How often do you sample VS wear your FBs?

Do you sample still? How often do you sample VS wear your FBs?
    Every now and then, yes. The only reason I avoid sampling is that I can't afford to get "I MUST have this!" reactions.
    I guess I wear my full bottle scents about 95% of my time.

I feel like my general taste keeps getting more varied, I can appreciate a much wider range, while I may be becoming more fickle and particular about what I really love - which is probably a sign of health.

I have been absorbed by this for five or six years by now, I think, and was fascinated by perfume before that, occasionally obsessed by some fragrance or other. My taste was fairly narrow and specific; orientals and heavy gourmands, spice, wood and incense, I didn't enjoy much of anything else. During those early years, when I was most likely to accumulate a lot of bottles, I simply couldn't afford to; so the collection was kept nicely in check. I only got a few things that I really, really loved, fragrances that wouldn't let me sleep at night. I'm still glad to have all of them, and at least one of them I bought again recently.

The last two years have been hectic, last year especially - I had more time, energy and money to spend on myself and my own passions than I've had in many years, I became seriously interested in vintage fragrances and all of a sudden, I could enjoy, appreciate and even wear fragrance families that I would have felt uncomfortable with only a year earlier - suddenly I enjoyed the brisk, soaring citrus, rose and incense of Shaal Nur, not just the musty, dank myrrh of Messe de Minuit; then I found that I could actually wear and feel like myself in Chanel N°5, not just appreciate it intellectually. All of a sudden the bitter, oily greenness of Bandit made sense, became enjoyable and revealed the leather at it's heart. Agent Provocateur and Youth Dew taught me that I do enjoy that uncompromising, somewhat anachronistic austerity (and the sensuality underlying it) of classic perfumery, while Parfum Sacré taught me that I enjoy not just rose, but powder too.

I conquered a dreaded note that used to make me recoil in at least one fragrance, the heliotrope in L'Heure Bleue, and learned to enjoy it. I began sampling raw materials, picking out individual notes and thinking in terms of aromachemicals that I enjoy - hello isobutyl quinolines, hello Bandit, Aramis, Cabochard, Aromatics Elixir and Azurée! I smelled civet and ambergris and discovered that I love animalic notes, even straight up.

I bought a lot of bottles, compared to the previous years, but I only spend serious money on things I truly, madly, deeply love; if it's vintage and cheap I tend to get it just because, though. Sometimes I learn something, some of it I will probably end up passing on to someone who will love it better, sometimes I find love. I began hoarding a little - I am watching myself acquiring multiple bottles, vintages and concentrations of a few older favourites. That worries me a little.

I think I will accumulate a lot of bottles and samples this year too, but I have found that I really need to take my time over them, or I start to get indecisive and revert to just wearing old faithfuls - bit of a bummer, that. Oh, well...
    Last edited by Pimpinett; 26th January 2011 at 09:20 AM.

Did you make an adjustment for a season?.. now is the season for the ambers, spices, and vanillas, but maybe in the Spring and Summer you will find them not as fitting as the greens. Just a thought!
    This is exactly right. I'm getting obsessed with citruses right now, though. I'm probably just wanting summer. I definitely will be putting aside the ambers and spices when the weather warms. I also enjoy some florals, and the greens will appear occasionally, but a nice fruity-citrus would probably carry me a long ways into summer!
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Pimpinett, what a fabulous essay! If there were to be a book of collected posts that personify the fragrance experience, I would put your six paragraphs on the back cover to well represent what this smelling business can be all about. It's like you sent us a postcard from your perfume journey.

Pimpinett, what a fabulous essay! If there were to be a book of collected posts that personify the fragrance experience, I would put your six paragraphs on the back cover to well represent what this smelling business can be all about. It's like you sent us a postcard from your perfume journey.
    Oh my, thank you! I am enormously flattered. I thought I rambled.

Blog Entries

Every now and then, yes. The only reason I avoid sampling is that I can't afford to get "I MUST have this!" reactions.
    I guess I wear my full bottle scents about 95% of my time.
    I read your fragrance journey posts, and they are amazing, thank you! It was fun to read and travel with you. I love Annick Goutal's house too. I find it gentle and sparkling, but I never thought of love, and yes, that makes sense.
    You have an impressive collection, so I guess you can be very varied in the scents you wear 95% of your time -- and there's sampling!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpinett View Post
    I only got a few things that I really, really loved, fragrances that wouldn't let me sleep at night. I'm still glad to have all of them, and at least one of them I bought again recently.
    Oh I KNOW what you mean -- there are some that won't let me sleep at night and I'll fall asleep thinking about them and I was dreaming of them! (Tolu was like that, Ma Griffe was like that).

I began sampling raw materials, picking out individual notes and thinking in terms of aromachemicals that I enjoy - hello isobutyl quinolines, hello Bandit, Aramis, Cabochard, Aromatics Elixir and Azurée! I smelled civet and ambergris and discovered that I love animalic notes, even straight up.
    Oh, I want to be able to do that more, but right now I have so much on my plate in terms of samples... no way I can add the oils right now... maybe later... but when I have a chance, I stop at DSH's Essence Studio and smell some oils there, what an amazing experience!.. too bad we don't travel to Boulder very often!

I bought a lot of bottles, compared to the previous years, but I only spend serious money on things I truly, madly, deeply love; if it's vintage and cheap I tend to get it just because, though. Sometimes I learn something, some of it I will probably end up passing on to someone who will love it better, sometimes I find love. I began hoarding a little - I am watching myself acquiring multiple bottles, vintages and concentrations of a few older favourites. That worries me a little.

I think I will accumulate a lot of bottles and samples this year too, but I have found that I really need to take my time over them, or I start to get indecisive and revert to just wearing old faithfuls - bit of a bummer, that. Oh, well...
    I try to do the same in terms of money... and I already have too much of vontage Ma Griffe and none of it is that perfect version I am trying to chase down! *sigh*
    This year I am making a conscious effort to wear FBs and not just the samples, so we could make a team!

Thanks for sharing your story!

I read your fragrance journey posts, and they are amazing, thank you! It was fun to read and travel with you. I love Annick Goutal's house too. I find it gentle and sparkling, but I never thought of love, and yes, that makes sense.
    You have an impressive collection, so I guess you can be very varied in the scents you wear 95% of your time -- and there's sampling!
    Thank you!
    Yes, I can have a lot of variety in what I wear. I'm happy I splurged so much on scents when I still could. Every coin has two sides and the positive side of not being able to make purchases nowadays is that when I revisit scents I haven't worn in a long time, they feel "new" to me and sometimes I notice things about them I never did before. There have been some lovely surprises.
    So even without new scents the journey continues...

What a wonderful thread, Warum. Thanks for this.

My fragrance journey is still in its very early stages. I went for nearly a decade without wearing anything other than the occasional B&BW lotion, and then on my 40th birthday last year, I just decided that I had been too long without perfume. But by that point, I had no idea what I liked. So where to start?

I didn't know about basenotes, I didn't know about niche, I didn't know about anything, so I ended up at the department store perfume counter with a SA who seemed to have a little more knowledge than the average sales clerk. I think she found me to be a bundle of contradictions because I discovered that I didn't like Angel at all (she was surprised), I hated all of the Chanels (except for Coco), Paloma Picasso was OK, I didn't care for Opium, I liked Bulgari Omnia, I liked Ysatis, I was fascinated by Alien, I hated all of the Ralph Laurens and most of the Estee Lauders, I liked Amarige, but the one I liked most of all was Euphoria. (Yes, I cringe a little now.) But I wanted to know WHY I liked that one and not the others. So I started researching and discovered basenotes.

Wow! A brave new world lay before me. I could research and sample a whole world of fragrance at (I thought) a fraction of the price of buying full bottles! (The fallacy of that thinking was quickly obvious as I accumulated more than 100 samples in less than six months....) After a couple of missteps with impulse full bottle purchases (Creed Original Santal, Prada), I discovered that I'm hooked on sampling and less concerned about buying full bottles until I know that I REALLY REALLY love something. So my collection is made up of a bunch of 1ml samples. If I like something, it graduates to a decant. I don't buy a full bottle of anything unless I continually return to the decant. I've been very disciplined about that since the first few ill-advised FB purchases. I currently have about 15 decants and about that number of full bottles.

So what I did I find that I currently love? I think my profile is pretty well-defined, at least for now: amber, incense, wood, spice, honey, smoke, leather, and musk, with the occasional dirty jasmine or tuberose thrown in for good measure. I don't love vintage, but I definitely appreciate having sniffed them and smelling their inspiration in some contemporary fragrances. I am quite firmly in niche, and I find that I am a bit of a slut when it comes to Serge Lutens (ok, a lot of a slut). I also gravitate toward Parfum d'Empire, Parfumerie Generale, and Sonoma Scent Studio.

I don't know how much my tastes will evolve; I suspect I will gain more appreciation for chypres but mainly at the periphery. I am so drawn to the warm, syrupy, spicy, woody, and smoky scents, particularly (but not exclusively) in the fall and winter. I will probably be wearing more dirty/indolic florals as the warmer weather comes on because my fragrances choices do seem to be influenced by both weather and my mood. I just sampled Malle's Une Fleur de Cassie, and I foresee that one getting a lot of wear in the spring.

So I definitely have a few bottles in my collection that probably don't belong and that I rarely wear and should swap. However, I will probably keep Euphoria around for sentimental value, if nothing else, because that was the one that got me started.

Goodness! I just realized I've written a short novel -- sorry for droning on and on. I've just found all of this so fascinating. I suppose it's a corollary of self-discovery, isn't it? Thanks for indulging me.

Blog Entries

I'm happy I splurged so much on scents when I still could. Every coin has two sides and the positive side of not being able to make purchases nowadays is that when I revisit scents I haven't worn in a long time, they feel "new" to me and sometimes I notice things about them I never did before. There have been some lovely surprises.
    So even without new scents the journey continues...
    And this is also very wise! Now you completely cured my guilt about purchasing Ormonde Jayne Tolu who knows when else I would be able to get it with free shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeKF View Post
    What a wonderful thread, Warum. Thanks for this.
    Thank YOU, ExtremeKF, for such a wonderful story you shared. I think I find myself similar to you in terms of how I limit the FBs. Sometimes I drain the sample pretty quick, but then a decant slows down the craving. It happened to me with Caron's Fleurs de Rocaille. I realized that the top notes in my sample were much more beautiful than in the decant. I bet that sample was vintage.

The fallacy of that thinking was quickly obvious as I accumulated more than 100 samples in less than six months....)
    Yep, happened to me too! I started to slow down with the FBs because I quickly understood, without getting in trouble yet, that I will run out of storage space very quickly. But with the samples, and I am learning it the hard way, it is very easy to fill up all your time and never give love to your FBs with the things you truly love (and the FBs you don't love, so that you learn the difference!)

So I definitely have a few bottles in my collection that probably don't belong and that I rarely wear and should swap. However, I will probably keep Euphoria around for sentimental value, if nothing else, because that was the one that got me started.
    So you don't love it any more as a fragrance?
    See, this is happens with Pure White Linen which, I thought, was my true love, a fragrance I will take with me to a deserted island. now it smells sharp and synthetic to me... and yet this is the one which took me here.

Oh I KNOW what you mean -- there are some that won't let me sleep at night and I'll fall asleep thinking about them and I was dreaming of them! (Tolu was like that, Ma Griffe was like that).
    For me that was Messe de Minuit, especially - it took me several months of being happy, almost giggly just thinking about it to cave and finally buy a bottle, it seemed so difficult to wear and so hard to justify. And it is, I rarely wear it, but I am so glad to have it.

Oh, I want to be able to do that more, but right now I have so much on my plate in terms of samples... no way I can add the oils right now... maybe later... but when I have a chance, I stop at DSH's Essence Studio and smell some oils there, what an amazing experience!.. too bad we don't travel to Boulder very often!
    That sounds fantastic. I got some samples of this and that - civet, ambergris, musk and a bunch of other raw materials, mostly woods - from a friend, I've managed to sniff some other ones here and there, and I'm about to order that Perfumer's Apprentice kit with another friend. I am really looking forward to that, I'm beginning to find sniffing the raw materials and trying to pick fragrances apart almost as fascinating as the perfumes themselves. I'm not good at it, but I enjoy it.

I try to do the same in terms of money... and I already have too much of vontage Ma Griffe and none of it is that perfect version I am trying to chase down! *sigh*
    This year I am making a conscious effort to wear FBs and not just the samples, so we could make a team!
    Absolutely. I have to make more of a conscious effort to remember to wear samples, that's a weekend and spare time activity for me - I want to do that more.

You're spot on with the sample/decant thing. Sometimes the samples fool me into thinking I like something more than I do, which is why I get the decants. It's like a quality check. Too, all of my samples are dabbers, and I get the spray version of decants, so the difference in application may have something to do with it. I try to make note of fragrances that I prefer dabbed to sprayed. And if I find I like something better dabbed, then I won't get a FB, just a bigger 1.5ml dabber sample.

So you don't love it any more as a fragrance?
    See, this is happens with Pure White Linen which, I thought, was my true love, a fragrance I will take with me to a deserted island. now it smells sharp and synthetic to me... and yet this is the one which took me here.
    Right again. I don't love Euphoria any more as a fragrance. There is something synthetic in it that I now smell every time I wear it. I don't know if it's the pomegranate or the "wood accord," but the only times I wear it now are the occasional Saturdays when I'm cleaning and, by comparison, it doesn't smell nearly as synthetic as the cleaning chemicals.

"Right again. I don't love Euphoria any more as a fragrance. There is something synthetic in it that I now smell every time I wear it. I don't know if it's the pomegranate or the "wood accord," but the only times I wear it now are the occasional Saturdays when I'm cleaning and, by comparison, it doesn't smell nearly as synthetic as the cleaning chemicals." ExtremeKF
    Ha ha, love that quote!

Oh, by the way, my story is similar to ExtremeKF's, except I messed up and bought a bunch of bottles right from the start. Some of them will slowly go away but I do really like much that I bought. I've been sampling much more than I did initially, and don't always find much that I like better than what I already have. I'll do some decants most likely, unless something really wows me.

I’ve just passed my first anniversary as a serious fragrance-lover, so am probably still in the ‘honeymoon period’! I think it was a combination of circumstances that bought me back to fragrance after a long dormant period: a latent interest in scents since childhood, at long last a little time to myself after years of combining motherhood and full-time work, and some spare cash in the bank! In the past year I’ve amassed about 60 fragrances and probably another 40-50 samples, minis and so on. I still like all the fragrances in my wardrobe, and wouldn't consider getting rid of any, but I’m aware that my tastes are changing and that I’m becoming more selective. I keep going back to fragrances I didn’t like on first sniff to see if I can at least learn to appreciate them (this worked with L’Heure Bleue and Shalimar, but no luck yet with No. 19 or Rive Gauche, amongst others). Since getting into Basenotes, I am trying many more niche scents, although living in the sticks means they are not easy to come by.

I expect at some point I may want to scale back my collection, if nothing else simply to create some space, and I worry about the potential waste (I could probably live several lifetimes and still not use up all my perfumes). But for the moment I’m happy to continue searching for new things, adding to my wardrobe and just trying to learn more about this wonderful world of scent. Most of all, I don’t feel guilty about my hobby or think it frivolous. Scent makes me happy and has helped me deal with some stressful times over the last year. Ultimately, I think I’ve earned a bit of self-indulgence! And you can laugh at my wardrobe all you want - I'm not ashamed of anything in it (not even Cool Water Wave Woman!)

Blog Entries

I'm about to order that Perfumer's Apprentice kit with another friend.
    Is that Mandy Aftel's one??

I work from home, that's why I have a lot of time to sample.

You're spot on with the sample/decant thing. Sometimes the samples fool me into thinking I like something more than I do, which is why I get the decants. It's like a quality check. Too, all of my samples are dabbers, and I get the spray version of decants, so the difference in application may have something to do with it. I try to make note of fragrances that I prefer dabbed to sprayed. And if I find I like something better dabbed, then I won't get a FB, just a bigger 1.5ml dabber sample.
    Yes, same with dabbed vs sprayed, but I haven't come up with a decision of a bigger sample! What a great idea, I'm writing down!

Right again. I don't love Euphoria any more as a fragrance. There is something synthetic in it that I now smell every time I wear it. I don't know if it's the pomegranate or the "wood accord," but the only times I wear it now are the occasional Saturdays when I'm cleaning and, by comparison, it doesn't smell nearly as synthetic as the cleaning chemicals.
    LOL! Yes, I might do that with Pure White... floors?

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    I've been sampling much more than I did initially, and don't always find much that I like better than what I already have. I'll do some decants most likely, unless something really wows me.
    That's where I am right now...

Quote Originally Posted by devilcat View Post
    Most of all, I don’t feel guilty about my hobby or think it frivolous. Scent makes me happy and has helped me deal with some stressful times over the last year. Ultimately, I think I’ve earned a bit of self-indulgence! And you can laugh at my wardrobe all you want - I'm not ashamed of anything in it (not even Cool Water Wave Woman!)
    I don't either. My councellor actually told me that this hobby is the second-best thing that happened to me (marrying my DH was the first). It is great for me!
    I haven't seen your wardrobe and I am sure I won't laugh, but I will go look just in case
    But I think it's a good thing that you can keep the love for all your fragrances. I wish I could.

What great input on this thread! I love hearing how everyone views their hobby and their collection.

One thing that I have learned over the last several months is that my tastes are cyclical. What I loved 6 months ago I do not love so much today...but I may love it again in another 6 months. My aim is to keep a fragrance around long enough to test it fully under different conditions - rainy and cold, warm and sunny, cold and clear. I believe there is a big difference in how something like Lolita Lempicka smells in cold, crisp, winter air and in humid summer-time heat.

I've cycled through several samples and really only missed one that I sent off. That's how I know I must really want to buy that fragrance.

But at over 200 samples and 40 or so full bottles, I think I need to put the brakes on....
    "The radical of one century is the conservative of the next." Mark Twain

Is that Mandy Aftel's one??

I work from home, that's why I have a lot of time to sample.
    It's available from http://www.perfumersapprentice.com/, no affinity with Mandy Aftel that I know of. Good amounts of everything and lots of synthetics, which I'm very interested in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MsMaryO View Post
    One thing that I have learned over the last several months is that my tastes are cyclical. What I loved 6 months ago I do not love so much today...but I may love it again in another 6 months. My aim is to keep a fragrance around long enough to test it fully under different conditions - rainy and cold, warm and sunny, cold and clear.

Absolutely true for me as well! Cyclical and seasonal. I can't give up on fragrances too quickly.

I will also wear one scent to death and then have to put it aside for a time, before I "miss" it again.

Originally Posted by MsMaryO
    One thing that I have learned over the last several months is that my tastes are cyclical. What I loved 6 months ago I do not love so much today...but I may love it again in another 6 months. My aim is to keep a fragrance around long enough to test it fully under different conditions - rainy and cold, warm and sunny, cold and clear.
    -------
    Originally Posted by 30 Roses
    Absolutely true for me as well! Cyclical and seasonal. I can't give up on fragrances too quickly.

I will also wear one scent to death and then have to put it aside for a time, before I "miss" it again.
    I have my scents divided physically between warm to hot weather and cool to cold weather.
    Then mentally divided into catagories of "daytime, nightime, good mood, bitchy, REALLY bitch, need a break, sexy, soothing, brings back memories of ______" etc. I rarely wear anything two days straight. I"m a bit ADD and not the same myself any two days in a row.
    "You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one." James A. Froude

Quote Originally Posted by MsMaryO View Post
    One thing that I have learned over the last several months is that my tastes are cyclical. What I loved 6 months ago I do not love so much today...but I may love it again in another 6 months. My aim is to keep a fragrance around long enough to test it fully under different conditions - rainy and cold, warm and sunny, cold and clear. I believe there is a big difference in how something like Lolita Lempicka smells in cold, crisp, winter air and in humid summer-time heat.
    I definitely agree! I've bought fumes for certain weather only to find that they work best in the opposite. My winter wardrobe grows while my summer wardrobe shrinks! I bought Fracas and Le'a thinking they'd be perfect summer scents, a sexy, wet tuberose and a lush, cool plumeria, but Fracas likes early spring, and Le'a likes late fall and winter. Hypnotic Poison was intended to be a cozy, curl up by the fire winter scent, but I learned just this past September that HP is at its best in early fall, before the weather gets too cold. So I guess more than my tastes being cyclical, I've had to rethink the parameters I've placed on certain scents.
    I'm curious, too, about LL in summer. Bal a Versailles, too. I was brave enough to try No. 22 one particularly hot day a couple years ago, and as tenacious as that one is in the cold, it was magnified in the heat, and almost too much for me (which is saying a lot.)