Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gaiac/Guaiac 10 by Le Labo

Let's talk about Gaiac 10 by Le Labo... Of those of you who have been lucky enough to sniff this, what do you think about it?

Also, can anyone tell me whether the cedar in Gaiac 10 is the typical, fuzzy, woody-amber kind (ie. Iso E Super, like you'd find in Tokyo by CdG or Terre d'Hermes), or is it the smooth and resinous kind (like you'd find in something like Eau Noire)?

Last edited by L'Aventurier; 2nd November 2009 at 08:48 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gaiac/Guaiac 10 by Le Labo

There is a lot of cedar in Gaiac 10, It smells almost damp - somewhat fuzzy but not amber-like. The combination of notes is very smooth & resinous and comes off as minimal/reserved. Musk is a pretty big part of this fragrance as it enhances the resinous qualities in the other notes. I love it.

Also, this took me several wearings to 'get.' It's subtle, and does require 7 sprays to the chest but it does last all day long. One fragrance I would suggest not writing off with your first impression.
    Last edited by teger; 3rd November 2009 at 12:40 AM.

It's a very well-done fragrance but not to my tastes...at all. It starts off as you would expect it to; a bit of sharp woody notes (cedar?) but warm and inviting not camphorous and loud like Hinoki (similiar to TdH ever-so-slightly). It becomes less sharp throughout its development and sweetens a tiny, tiny bit. Gaiac is all about wood and minimalism. This is a parfum so one would expect longevity to be great, but sadly it isn't, or is it? I know this is all confusing, but I swear an hour after I put it on my skin, I couldn't detect anything but the slightest trace of woods. It smelled like skin warmed by the sun as you hike through a forest. It has NO sillage, and is very, very faint. If you are looking for a true "skin" scent, look no further. I don't...I prefer my fragrances Fracas-esque

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the minimalist comments already mentioned. Which really surprised me, as most of Mendardo's scents are quite strong and sturdy.

It does have that fuzzy cedar aura to it, now that you mention it.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the gaiac note itself and so when I tested G10 I was confused, since it's so light and transient. I still need to give it another full wearing.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd November 2009 at 03:05 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone re: fuzzy cedar but it morphs into a different wood note on my skin.

VERY light tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, thanks guys . The samples at TPC are 10$ (yeah, like wtf!) but I guess this warrants a try, since I only have until the end of November to buy a bottle from Luckyscent. I'm not crazy about fuzzy cedar (or Iso E Super for that matter) but we'll see what happnes. It just might push all the right buttons, especially if there's a Japanese aesthetic at play.

So from what I gather, the cedar here is similar to the cedar in Le Labo's famous Rose 31?

Light, woody and musky - sounds like *my* holy grail. I gotta try this.

Haven't tried it, but it sounds like the only exclusive Le Labo I might be interested in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post

So from what I gather, the cedar here is similar to the cedar in Le Labo's famous Rose 31?
    Ohhh no, no, no, no, no . . . . the cedar note in Rose 31 is COMPLETELY different to my nose.
    As a matter of fact & from yesterday's test Rose 31 is more vetiver & oud predominant than cedar - @ least on my skin.
    Last edited by SoGent; 3rd November 2009 at 02:06 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Not alike at all.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

This was my SOTD. I put it on my wrists and collarbone, almost a third of a small sample this morning and if I get get within a few inches of it I can still smell it now, about 11 hours from application. After it dried down, it remained very close to my body - the perfect skin scent for a gaiac junkie like me. What is left is the gaiac note; it's almost exactly like unburnt Paolo Santo wood - very fresh and clean, and some of the incense.

I was finally able to try this. It was a big disappointent. It wasn't what I was hoping for and thought this has already been done before. To my nose, it is a dead-ringer for FM Angelique Sous la Pluie. Definitely not worth the $260/50ml price tag.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally tried this today - like ISP NY, I'm disappointed too.

It's basically a woody incense that might fit into the CDG series - a little gaiac, a little cedar (yes, there's a bit of Iso E Super here), some ozone, some incense (Olibanum?) and a little musk. Very understated, very minimalist and kind of lacking in personality.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great fragrance and I prefer it to the CDG series, but it's not worth busting your balls over (unless this is your kind of thing).

Furthermore, it resembles Kyoto by Kenzo and Sento by Iunx a little too much for the price gap. Actually it smells so much like Kyoto that for a second I wondered if I got the wrong sample. I guess it at least smells like Kyoto, both literally and figuratively, considering this is a Kyoto exclusive.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 12th November 2009 at 10:33 PM.

Am in Toyko for a week and was fortunate enough to try this.

I like it but definitely can't justify paying that much just because it's an exclusive although the GWP is very tempting!

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see this thread earlier. I got a sample of this a few weeks back, my high expectations were met, and after about 10 hours they were exceeded. Quiet, soft, paired down, exactly to my taste.

I read the Kyoto comparison before I tried Gaiac 10 and I can pick out some resemblance, but found them both to be quite different. Kyoto has such a big "silver" frankincense note, where as Gaiac 10's olibanum smoke is earthier, much greener. Kyoto has these flashes of a musty patchouli and dry coffee beans. The cedar is similar, no question, I find that the gaiac hardens the cedar, giving it a sharper, less blurred shape. As they wear they veer further apart, Gaiac 10 fades into a hazy, warm cloud of woody musk, Kyoto keeps its cedar and patchouli before wearing down to a smoky Iso E super. Side by side Kyoto seems far busier, louder. Gaiac 10's gentle slide into musk feels so perfectly pulled off, it seems to fit me whenever I wear it.

I like a lot of Le Labo's perfumes, and think this is their best. After talking with Frabrice last week, who told me he wore Gaiac 10 the most of all his line (before I professed my love for it!), I had more confidence that I wasn't making things up. :P

Post Thanks / Like

Finally tried this today - like ISP NY, I'm disappointed too.

It's basically a woody incense that might fit into the CDG series - a little gaiac, a little cedar (yes, there's a bit of Iso E Super here), some ozone, some incense (Olibanum?) and a little musk. Very understated, very minimalist and kind of lacking in personality..
    If you have the opportunity, sample Jo Malone's Guaiacwood Cologne.
    I think it's what Le Labo wanted to be. No cedar, no oudh just smooth woody goodness.

Found I'm not a guaiac everyday kinda guy but I like it all by its lonesome now & again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    If you have the opportunity, sample Jo Malone's Guaiacwood Cologne.
    I think it's what Le Labo wanted to be. No cedar, no oudh just smooth woody goodness.

Found I'm not a guaiac everyday kinda guy but I like it all by its lonesome now & again.
    Thanks SoGent - onto my test list it goes! Too bad Jo Malone doesn't get much attention on these boards lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SoGent - onto my test list it goes! Too bad Jo Malone doesn't get much attention on these boards lately.
    Yep, know what you mean. Found this one by accident and jeeeezzz was it a surprise.
    It's found specifically in her 'Fragrance Chronicles'

Morning Star

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Gaiac 10 at both The Scent Bar and the Los Angeles Le Labo boutique a short time ago, together with the usual Los Angeles Basenoters crew (Asha's thread here). The description of it being a "sharp wood" is accurate, but it is an extremely mild fragrance too. Either Asha or one of the SAs literally drenched about a quarter of the length of a smelling strip with this juice, and it still came across as very mild. The musky drydown also seemed much too weak. Even taking all this weakness into account, I didn't like the scent nearly as much as, for example, M. Micallef Gaiac. Also, Comme des Garçons Kyoto is a veritable freight train of smells compared to Gaiac 10. This ended up being, for me, yet another Le Labo fragrance for which I could not honestly justify the high price ... but I'm glad there are people who like it so much.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried the M. Micallef Gaiac. Can you do a rough comparison with Gaiac 10? Thanks.

Morning Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nwatts88 View Post
    I have not tried the M Micallef Gaiac. Can you do a rough comparison with Gaiac 10? Thanks.
    Its blending of gaiac wood and vetiver is stronger and much more intoxicating than the sharpness of Gaiac 10. Decent sillage too, which cannot be said of Gaiac 10. Longevity is about average. Personally, I think it's the best of all the M Micallef fragrances (probably followed by Avant Garde).

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

I've pulled a 180 on Gaiac 10. I really like it now that I've applied it with a heavy hand. Turns out that it's only boring if you apply it in normal amounts - once you overdo it you get this transparent smell that feels like you've been burning incense while rain drizzles outside your window.

Now I don't know what to do... The price isn't really worth it, but I do love it. Should I sell an organ to buy a bottle of this while I can? Decisions, decisions....
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 28th November 2009 at 03:20 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Update:

I've pulled a 180 on Gaiac 10. I really like it now that I've applied it with a heavy hand. Turns out that it's only boring if you apply it in normal amounts - once you overdo it you get this transparent smell that feels like you've been burning incense while rain drizzles outside your window.

Now I don't know what to do... The price isn't really worth it, but I do love it. Should I sell an organ to buy a bottle of this while I can? Decisions, decisions....
    What great news! Your first impressions had me confused.. Ozonic?!?

About the price, if it matters this (& the other exclusives) refill price is $320/$190 at the NYC & LA stores, at any time. Not sure if this was well known, that those two storefronts will have the supplies for the exclusive line now. Maybe sweet talk an SA after the month

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

Good to hear you've turned around! I'm in the same boat, really want a bottle, but not sure if I can afford it right now. I think I might hold off still it starts getting cooler here, maybe come April I'll see if I can talk an SA (or Fabrice) into sending me a bottle!

And I didn't realise NEoTY26 that those prices were different... $80 difference is pretty considerable. Good news!

hmmmm 16% concentration, smells like the base of all generic men's fumes, if you like safe; u'll love it. VERY DISAPPOINTED

Post Thanks / Like

A little update here: I now happily own a bottle of Gaiac 10. It cost me an arm and a leg, but it's really a great frag and it contains little, if any Iso E Super (even I was shocked at this marvel!)

It's not office friendly, but yes, I guess you could say it's a "safe scent." I too thought it was boring at first, but when you give it some time, it grows on you like crazy. I have a box of Shoyeido Japanese incense in my closet and Gaiac 10 smells almost exactly like it. One of the only fragrances that smell authentically Japanese to me (well at least to my western nose).

Post Thanks / Like

A little update here: I now happily own a bottle of Gaiac 10. It cost me an arm and a leg, but it's really a great frag
    Congrats . . . . I watched you agonize over the choice a little.

G10 is great but my nose gets use to it and I do not smell it 1/2 hour later but for some odd reason I get alot of compliments.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wearing this one again today.

It's sort of like a humming vibration sort of scent...total minimalism but when you finally hone in on the central accord that Menardo constructed then you really can't get it out of your nose/head.

I sprayed one spray (that's right ONE SPRAY) on my left upper hand this morning and I still get whiffs of it hours later.

I am anosmic to many musk notes, so I am very sure that there are parts of this I actually do not smell...there is an absence in the air when I take my nose and bury it in the spot where I sprayed it. What I do smell is woody and shimmery - not smoky. The notes are muted and flat but not lifeless, rather they are very much alive but in a proper, conservative almost arithmetical style - this goes here, this goes here, everything in its place.

I want to drench myself in this and wear this, with an all-black outfit, to some hip, fashionable art gallery opening one of these days - that's the vibe I get from Gaiac 10.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, that's so weird... I hadn't worn Gaiac 10 in months, then all of a sudden this week I wore it three days in a row. Don't worry about your musk anosmia - I have never had any trouble with musk, and I can say it is very subdued in Gaiac 10. In fact, it smells like my bed.... What I mean is, it smells very "human" but not dirty or sexy. Just human...

The musk can sometimes take over the woods to my nose, but it's never "musky" per se. Just woody with that soft, smooth musk. I liken it to "filler" or ambient noise along with the woods. I also detect the tiinnnnieest hint of citrus in the opening.

Anyway, I really like it too I remember almost ripping my hair out when I first bought it, because it was so ridiculously expensive. I can finally say it's definitely worth the price - it's probably one of, if not the most minimalistic fragrance on the market. I've never smelled something so subdued and non-perfumey that can last so long.

Now, after all that effort it took to sample it, and then finally buying a bottle of Gaiac 10 during that limited time offer a last year, guess what? I'm going to be moving to Japan in three weeks, meaning I could have just bought the bottle over there for cheaper...! Doh!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Now, after all that effort it took to sample it, and then finally buying a bottle of Gaiac 10 during that limited time offer a last year, guess what? I'm going to be moving to Japan in three weeks, meaning I could have just bought the bottle over there for cheaper...! Doh!
    You're effort was worthwhile as the USA pricing is actually much better than the Le Labo boutique in Japan. Fabrice said the price hike is due to import costs. The current exchange for 56000yen (100ml cost) is $634.

This is my favorite Le Labo. It's never too much, or too little. Jus right.

I really don't know what to say about Gaiac 10. I did 6 sprays, one to the inner elbow which I'm using to sniff and test and the rest on the hot spots on my chest. I can't smell anything. It's really light. I get some incense, cedar and some musk but it's all like a whisper on my skin.

It's very similar to Kyoto and Gucci Rush for Men. Like a combination of both scents but really stripped down and faint.

Something interesting about wearing it. I can't smell anything when I sniff my skin directly but I smell it projecting (the sillage) off my skin. It's like it's not there but it's there.

It seems like I need to wear this a few times but even if I do end up enjoying it, you would have to be pretty insane to want to drop $500+ on a bottle.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 11th November 2010 at 03:04 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Try wearing 1 spray next time N. See if this changes your perception of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed it will last longer, when sprayed on clothes. Love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Try wearing 1 spray next time N. See if this changes your perception of it.
    +1

I had the same perception the first time too - I could barely smell it. For some reason I got habituated to Gaiac 10 real fast with only a few sprays. Two sprays is right about on the money for me - I can still smell it and it gives off subtle sillage that travels pretty far.

I just did one spray today. I'm getting the same vibe, more or less like the first time I wore it. It feels like it's gone after about 10 minutes but you pick up on small whiffs here and there. I've been reading a few reviews and some people find the transparent quality of it ethereal and magical, hence the rave reviews, but I really don't see that. I think it's a basic scent.

It's really just 1/3 cedar, 1/3 olibanum, and 1/3 musk. Nicely blended but not interesting. The incense is a little peppery like Gucci Rush for Men. The musk clean. I also get a lot of wood, mainly the cedar but I think there's some supporting wood notes.

I think it's just Kyoto with less notes, really light and at 5x the price. I also get that cool feel of Kyoto in Gaiac 10. I just don't see the value with it. It not nearly worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    What great news! Your first impressions had me confused.. Ozonic?!?

About the price, if it matters this (& the other exclusives) refill price is $320/$190 at the NYC & LA stores, at any time. Not sure if this was well known, that those two storefronts will have the supplies for the exclusive line now. Maybe sweet talk an SA after the month
    It's a year later reading this... I wonder if its still available in NY? My bf bought me one of their fragrances for Christmaas and they threw in a sample of this and I like it better than what I got. I'm really loving Guaiac 10 and would love a large decant or a full bottle.

Still obsessing on this. I went to the NY store today and they gave me a good spray on my arm. The SA said if I could get a bottle, they still refill the bottles at the NY store.

L'Aventurier, are you still glad you made the big purchase?

I have not tried the M. Micallef Gaiac. Can you do a rough comparison with Gaiac 10? Thanks.
    Yes, does anyone have a comparison? And can a woman wear the M. Micallef Gaiac?

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm.....been testing this the last 2 days. My SotE yesterday with a very light application, and a heavier application today.

Stays very close to the skin as mentioned, but long lasting. I can feel myself wrapped in a woody cocoon of its scent. Pleasant, but hard for me to understand; not very perfume-like, more like a pleasant wood, fresh laundry, overall outdoor good smell.

I may just not have the experience to appreciate it.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this has a ton of lasting power. My wife just made it back from town and gave me a hug and commented on how good I smelled.

This is remarkable because:
    A. It is about 13 hours since I put it on.
    B. She rarely makes comments about what I wear.....I guess since I'm always wearing something she doesn't really ever think about it much unless it makes an impression on her.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

^ guaiac wood lasts a REALLY long time in skin - it sounds like the folks at Le Labo have really used that to good effect in the base.