Code of Conduct

Question Histoires De Parfums and other niche in Toronto?

Dear all,

Living up here in European North I have had difficulties to rediscover most of the niche fragrances I have discovered in my travels. After many years, I will soon have the opportunity to live somewhere else for a while; this time in Toronto!

Would someone care to share with me a couple of good points for such niche fragrances as Histoires de Parfums, the Different Company, and others? If the price tags are borderline bargains... then even better! 1828 and 1969 are the HdP offerings that I would very much like to find again.
    ... to be honest though my great joy would be to discover and try perfume treasures, including high quality organic fragrances, rather than consume.
    Finally, are the fragrances of Le Jardin Retrouvé available somewhere in Toronto?
    This forum is very friendly and informative. I have noticed messages that already partly answer my questions.
    Thank you!
    All the best!
    Michail

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Histoires De Parfums and other niche in Toronto?

Quote Originally Posted by michailG View Post
    Dear all,

Living up here in European North I have had difficulties to rediscover most of the niche fragrances I have discovered in my travels. After many years, I will soon have the opportunity to live somewhere else for a while; this time in Toronto!

Would someone care to share with me a couple of good points for such niche fragrances as Histoires de Parfums, the Different Company, and others? If the price tags are borderline bargains... then even better! 1828 and 1969 are the HdP offerings that I would very much like to find again.
    ... to be honest though my great joy would be to discover and try perfume treasures, including high quality organic fragrances, rather than consume.
    Finally, are the fragrances of Le Jardin Retrouvé available somewhere in Toronto?
    This forum is very friendly and informative. I have noticed messages that already partly answer my questions.
    Thank you!
    All the best!
    Michail
    I saw your thread and saw you were coming from Helsinki. I love that city, I had a great exploring Helsinki then Oslo. The language killed me but the people were terrific. Anyway, I'm in Ottawa and would recommend you start at Holt Renfrew. Its a high end department store with a fragrance department and they do carry some niche. Its a place to start. Listen, if you have any questions PM me, Id like to hear from you. Good luck in Toronto.

Cheers Rex
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

Hi Rex!
    Thank you for your response. I just logged in after a long time.
    I have been to HR. Toronto is so BIG especially compared to Helsinki!
    Is it true that Canadians are not so fond of perfumes? I mean generally speaking I rarely smell perfumes in public places. ... and the university I am at is "scent free"!
    Well ... it is interesting!
    ;-)
    bye!
    m.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't necessarily say Canadians aren't fond of perfumes, but I don't think we're fond of smelling perfumes on other people in public. I've gotten compliments when wearing something discreetly when someone has to get in close to me, but I've heard people complain quite a bit about smelling other people's fragrances on the subway for example.

Much as I love perfume, I don't want to smell it on someone from any distance, which might just be from growing up here. I often feel uncomfortable when I hear how many times someone is spraying or that they are looking for sillage monsters. I try not to disturb anyone with my scent. A lot of fragrances some people love and some people hate, and I wouldn't want to be stuck beside someone who has bathed in one that I happen to hate, so I figure it goes both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michailG View Post
    Hi Rex!
    Thank you for your response. I just logged in after a long time.
    I have been to HR. Toronto is so BIG especially compared to Helsinki!
    Is it true that Canadians are not so fond of perfumes? I mean generally speaking I rarely smell perfumes in public places. ... and the university I am at is "scent free"!
    Well ... it is interesting!
    ;-)
    bye!
    m.
    Michail,

It really depends on the persons with regards on fondness for perfumes. If you go out at night, that is when ( at least I feel) that most people wear fragrance. On a day to day basis, I rarely smell it. Depends on the person.

Its too bad your university is scent free. I know of a couple that are, which is unreasonable in my opinion. There are so many obnoxious people/behaviors out there, I don't feel that I should have to go scent free as long as I am being reasonable myself ( with application of that fragrance).

The city of Halifax, last time I checked, has a public scent ban. But for some reason, they think it is okay to dump garbage/waste/sewage into the ocean.

Anyways, please enjoy your fragrance hobby while you are here. I hope you enjoy your stay ! I wear strong fragrances at times, but I just apply less. As long as I can enjoy it throughout my day, I am happy. There are some people that don't know better or will just not listen to others sugestions. I once read on here that an American basenoter witnessed a Creed Rep at a store in the US dousing himself and his suit with 12 sprays of a fragrance. Highly obnxious, but thats the type of person who just won't listen to another persons advice.

Last thing, I have met a couple of people from Finland here and I always notice that they seemed very nice and also well informed. I really appreciate that. Its always nice to have visitors from a great country like Finland. Also, Finland produces many fantastic hockey players : Teemu Selanane, Mikko and Saku Koivi, Kimmo Timonen....etc.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !