Code of Conduct

Default Any advice on labelling fragrances?

Hello,
    I've been making my own fragrances for some time now, and have about twenty so far. A nice byproduct of this is that I don't buy any commercial perfume anymore, although I'd make exceptions in some cases.

It's nice to see so much good knowledge being shared here.

I've been getting very good reactions from others, so I'm considering selling them now, and was wondering if any of you had some ideas for labelling perfumes? I've been doing it my geekie way, just creating simple labels in software and using my printer. I tried clear labels, and they look somewhat nicer, but I think I need to get to the next level. Any tips definitely appreciated!

Thanks, Dave

Default Re: Any advice on labelling fragrances?

I've purchased perfumes from Etsy stores and I really like labels that are water-resistant so that if I spill either perfume or get water on it, the label doesn't run.

For my own perfumes, I've just been using a stamp and multi-purpase little squares labels.

Venissa,
    Thanks for your idea! I also enjoy buying from a few Etsy people.

I should clarify a bit more, too, for anyone else viewing... I have been using small roll-on bottles so far, as I'm not using an alcohol carrier (yet). So this may effect any recommendations people make due to size.

Thanks, Dave

Question Re: Any advice on labelling fragrances?

Hello,

Is there a way to make labels if I don't have a printer? How can I make sure the label is waterproof? I'm pondering on how to label my vials, but I don't know where to start!

I use waterproof vinyl labels that I design in Photoshop to fit the size and shape of my bottles, and print on my printer. For small sample vials I use clear labels. If you have a decent printer you can order label material sheets from a place like Papilio and try them out.

I've seen perfumes that were hand-labeled using a sharpie-type marker, and this can work if you're going for the home crafts look. Ava Luxe, for example, uses generic labels printed with a standard design and their name, and hand-writes the name of the perfume on each one in metallic ink. Their labels are very attractive. Of course you'd have to be careful that the ink in the pens that you use is not soluble in water, oil, alcohol, or any other liquid that's likely to come in contact with the label, or you'd have to cover them with a clear overlay sheet, which would be a pain.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

I`ve been using a Brother label Printer. Not artistic but practical for my purposes.
    http://www.brother-usa.com/Ptouch/Mo...uctID=PT2430PC

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    I use waterproof vinyl labels that I design in Photoshop to fit the size and shape of my bottles, and print on my printer. For small sample vials I use clear labels. If you have a decent printer you can order label material sheets from a place like Papilio and try them out.

I've seen perfumes that were hand-labeled using a sharpie-type marker, and this can work if you're going for the home crafts look. Ava Luxe, for example, uses generic labels printed with a standard design and their name, and hand-writes the name of the perfume on each one in metallic ink. Their labels are very attractive. Of course you'd have to be careful that the ink in the pens that you use is not soluble in water, oil, alcohol, or any other liquid that's likely to come in contact with the label, or you'd have to cover them with a clear overlay sheet, which would be a pain.
    Can you tell me more about how to use Papilio? Will I need special ink? Does it require a certain type of printer? I don't have a printer as of yet, but this seems like a more economical option than having someone else print professional labels for me.

hi there, i have some perfumes in sprays and some in the 3 ml roll ons and i do the labels in photoshop( i'm a beginner so it's quite basic! i tend to downloada lot of brushes and put an image or shape on from those brushes, and i cut it out and stick it on and stick on some clear sticky sheet that you can gwet from stationers, it's very cheap. bluebell.. oh but i do have a printer.. i think the only way you could do it without a printter and without buying pre printed labels is to do them hand written.

Where can I find the sticky overlay sheets? I know you said at stationary stores, but what is it called exactly? Thanks a bunch!