Code of Conduct

Default The Ingredients thread

I always have a tendency to look at the listed ingredients on a fragrance box, and have noticed that a number of my favorites feature hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, better known as Lyral.

This got me thinking: wouldn't it be nice to know the ingredients (well, the allergenic ones listed on the box, anyhow) of various scents before purchasing them? While I know the ingredients themselves won't necessarily tell you much about how a scent smells, it could tell you other useful information. For instance, if we had access to the ingredients lists of all scents out there, we could perhaps identify offending agents that cause headaches, nausea, or other discomfort.

Also, if along with the ingredients people posted the date of purchase, bottle design, etc, we could use this information to help track down/pinpoint any reformulations. I think it would be really nice to read how the ingredients list changes over time, as new bottles are introduced, etc.

Here's a sample entry:

Salvador Dali PH:
    ---------------------
    Date on package: None listed
    Approx Date of Purchase: 2005
    Bottle Size: 100ml, part of a giftset featuring the 100ml bottle, an 8ml mini, and a 150ml shower gel
    Bottle Description/Picture: The standard blackish green bulbous bottle with the lips cap.

Ingredients: Alcohol Denat. (S.D Alcohol 39 C), Parfum (fragrance), Aqua (water), Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde (Lyral), Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Coumarin, Linalool, Bynzyle Benzoate, Geraniol, Citral, Eugenol, Benzyl Salicylate

What do you guys think of this? Would you find any use for it personally? Would you like to see something like this added to Basenotes?
    Last edited by Grant; 24th January 2011 at 11:41 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Forum Idea: The Ingredients forum

I can see how this idea would help with tracking reformulations, but I wonder if there is any way to merge this with the Directory somehow? Because it would involve a LOT of fragrances.

I'm not such a fan of this, as it tells you very little about what's in a fragrance. Coumarin can be from lavender; it can be from tonka; it can be from neither. It's kind of like knowing minestrone soup contains beta-carotene, piperine, and sodium chloride - you can infer some things about what it might contain, but it will tell you nothing about what it tastes like.

Also, as it is, the single note forum is already rather neglected, sadly...

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I'm not such a fan of this, as it tells you very little about what's in a fragrance. Coumarin can be from lavender; it can be from tonka; it can be from neither. It's kind of like knowing minestrone soup contains beta-carotene, piperine, and sodium chloride - you can infer some things about what it might contain, but it will tell you nothing about what it tastes like.

Also, as it is, the single note forum is already rather neglected, sadly...
    Yes, the ambiguity regarding the origin of some of the chemicals is a bit of a problem, although there are others, like the aforementioned Lyral, that have no counterpart in nature and thus their inclusion is indicative of the use of that synthetic.

I was thinking that the primary benefit would be to those who suffer from scents, to potentially help pinpoint an offensive ingredient, and even more so, the tracking of reformulations and such. Further, it would be interesting to see which scents actually contain real oakmoss, which use the less expensive and less rich tree moss, etc. Further, since ingredients are listed in order from highest to lowest proportion (granted, this is only a listing of highest to lowest proportion of allergenic ingredients), it could help infer some things about certain scents. Just from sniffing the scents with Lyral listed and reading the description of Lyral on the net, I think I have a clearer picture of how the chemical smells and the texture it provides.

Lastly, some scents contain a number of synthetics not even related to the olfactory portion of the scent but instead are preservatives, sunscreens, etc. I think it is interesting to see. Also, it is interesting to see the ingredients lists for Creeds, Amouage, Xerjoff, etc, if only to show that these scents do indeed use synthetics and may not use real oakmoss despite oakmoss being listed (I don't have any examples regarding oakmoss, but I'm sure there are a number of scents out there that list it in the notes while it's not actually listed as an ingredient.)

I sort of see this as a case where more information, that can be easily ignored if one so desires, can't hurt.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Well, since I see some value in this, I'm going to continue to post the ingredients of all the scents I have boxes for, in hopes that someone else may find it of use.

Hugo - XY
    50ml, purchased from FragranceX cir. 2009

Alcohol Denat., Aqua/Water, Parfum/Fragrance, Methyl Cyclodextrin, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Diethylamino hydroxybenzoyl hexyl benzoate, propylene gylcol, disodium EDTA, methylparaben, linalool, limonene, butylphenyl methylproprional, eugenol, alpha-isomethyl ionone, citronellol, citral, geraniol, CI 60730/ext. violet 2, CI 14700/red 4
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Ungaro III
    bought cir. 2007, 100ml, black box, black bottle w/ black cap and gold accents. New formulation.

packaging states:
    Ferragamo Parfums S.p.A Firenze-Italy
    Dist. aux/in U.S.A par/by Gary Farn Ltd.,
    CT Milford 06460. Dist au/in Canada par/by S.H
    Krikorian & Co. Ltd., Markham, Canada L3R 5L9

Made in Italy

Alcohol Denat. (SD Alcohol 39-C), aqua (water), Profumo/Parfum (fragrance), Limonene, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Coumarin, Citronellol, Geraniol, Citral, Eugenol
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I like the idea. I'm recoding the directory at the moment, and it would make more sense for members to be able to enter this sort of info there, to make it easier to find.

Minotaure
    75ml Spray
    Ingredients: Alcohol, aqua, parfum, benzophenone-2, BHT, FD&C Yellow no 5 (CI 19140), FD&C Red No 4 (CI 14700)

Givenchy Play Intense
    50ml spray, bought early 2010
    Original silver/black/red box packaging

ingredients: alcohol, aqua(water), parfum (fragrance), ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, hydroxycitronellal, coumarin, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, ethylhexyl salicylate, bht, limonene, linalool, citral, CI 60730 (ext. violet 2), 03738M

Lanvin Oxygene Homme
    100ml, almost all blue box packaging
    indredients: Alcohol Denat. (SD-Alcohol 39-C), Aqua (water), Parfum (fragrance), Limonene, Linalool, benzophenone-1, butylphenyl methylpropional, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, BHT, Eugenol, Geraniol, Citral, Citronellol, Isoeugenol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, CI 42090 (blue 1), CI 17200 (red 33)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Amouage Lyric Man
    Eau de Parfum for Man
    100ml new packaging (the only packaging it has come in so far)
    "We do not test on animals, nor support it, and nor do our suppliers."
    Ingredients: Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Citronellol, Eugenol, Farnesol, Geraniol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene carboxaldehyde (Lyral), isoeugenol, Limonene, LInalool, Alpha-isomethyl ionone

Made in Oman, Oman Perfumery LLC, PB 250, Muscat 113, Oman

Amouage Reflection Man
    Eau De Parfum for Man
    100ml, new packaging
    Ingredients: SD Alcohol 39-C, Aqua, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Citronellol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool

Made in Oman, Oman Perfumery LLC, PB 250, Muscat 113, Oman
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Viktor & Rolf Antidote
    125 ml 4.2oz, original release packaging
    Ingredients: Alcohol, Aqua/water, Parfum/Fragrance, LImonene, Benzyl Salicylate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Diethylamino hydroxybenzoyl hexyl benzoate, linalool, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, ethylhexyl salicylate, benzophenone-3, coumarin, citronellol, BHT, citral, cinnamal, alpha-isomethyl ionone, geraniol, benzyl alcohol, benzyl benzoate,CI 42090/Blue 1, CI 15510/Orange 4, CI 19140/Yellow 5, Code fil:B12527/1

Made in France
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

YSL Body Kouros
    100ml, two-tone grey packaging, original bottle
    EDT
    Ingredients: Alcohol, Parfum (fragrance), aqua (water), hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, coumarin, limonene, linalool, citral, hydroxycitronellal, isoeugenol, citronellol

John Varvatos Artisan
    75ml, Brown textured, tweed like box, original bottle design
    Ingredients: alcohol denat., fragrance (parfum), water (aqua), linalool, limonene, hexyl cinnamal, farnesol, citronellol, citral, butylphenyl methylpropional
    Made in USA

other notes: package came with a gel desiccant inside to absorb ambient moisture.

Ralph Lauren Romance Silver
    50ml, silver packaging, dark grey bottle w/ sticker around cap that reads "Silver"
    ingredients: Alcohol Denat., aquare/water, parfum/fragrance, limonene, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, linalool, citronellol, citral, coumarin, geraniol, 645113, D5774/2
    Made in USA

Davidoff Adventure
    100ml tester, white/black box, original release bottle
    ingredients:Alcohol denat, aqua/water/eau, parfum/fragrance, acrylates/octylacrylamide copolymer, alpha-isomethyl ionone, BHT, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, citral, citronellol, coumarin, disodium EDTA, ethylhexyl salicylate, geraniol, hydolyzed jojoba esters, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, limone, linalool, FD&C Blue no 1 (CI 42090), FD&C Red No 4 (CI 14700), FD&C Yellow No 5 (CI 19140), FD&C Yellow No 6 (CI 15985)
    Made in France

YSL M7
    100ml, original style all red/burgundy bottle
    Ingredients: Alcohol, aqua (water), Parfum (fragrance), Limonene, Linalool, Alpha-methyl ionone, benzophenone-1, geraniol, eugenol, citral, isoeugenol, coumarin, 1YK03-1

Made in France

Thierry Mugler B*Men
    50ml, rubber flask, red/black packaging

Ingredients: alcohol denat., fragrance (parfum), water (aqua), limonene, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, linalool, coumarin, butylphenyl methylpropional, benzyl alchol, citral, benzyl salicylate, geraniol, citornello, benzyl benzoate, hexyl cinnamal

Made in France

Salvador Dali Le Roy Soleil Homme
    100ml, blue packaging w/ gold highlights, etched sun bottle
    Ingredients: Alcohol Denat., Parfum, Aqua

Made in France

Prada Amber PH
    100ml original bottle, came in giftset with 100ml aftershave lotion
    Ingredients: Alcohol Denat., Aqua(water/eau), Parfum (fragrance), Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, ethylhexyl salicylate, propylene glycol, limone, linalool, coumarin, butylphenyl methylpropional, hexyl cinnamal, alpha-isomethyl ionone, geraniol, benzyl alcohol, citronellol, isoeugenol, citral, eugenol, hydroxycitronellal, cinnamyl alchol, farnesol, CI 60730 (ext. violet 2), CI 19140 (yellow 5).

Made in Spain
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Amouage Memoir Woman
    SD Alchol 39-C, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Cinnaml, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Citral, Citronellol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Farnesol, Geraniol, Isoeugenol, Limonene, Linalool

---

Amouage Jubilation 25 (women's)
    Alpha-isomethyl Ionone, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Citronellol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Aqua, SD Alcohol 39-C, Farnesol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, isoeugenol, limonene, linalool, evernia prunasti
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Institution

Amouage Ubar

Amyl Cinnmal, Amycinnamyl Alcohol, Anise Alcohol, Benzyl Citronellol,Benzyl Benzoate,Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamal, Citral, Citronellol, Courmarin, Eugenol, Farnesol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3 - Cycylohexene Carboxaldehyde (Lyral) , Isoeugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Methyl 2 -Octynoate (MHC) Alpha-Isomethy Ionone, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Evernia Prunasti ( Oakmoss ) ,Evernia Furturacea ( Treemoss )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Wow, lots of coumarin in Ubar. I'm guessing it must be pretty darn sweet. I've still got to test that scent.. one of these days!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Allergic reaction to certain fragrances is common. This would definitely help to figure out the fragrance causing the allergy.
    Kathy
    http://goo.gl/YLhkh

Basenotes Institution

Mitsouko Eau de Parfum ( new formula - bought Dec 2010)

Batch Code 0001 ( yeah , real weird ... I noticed many of the new Guerlains Mitsouko boxes- duty free of both EDT and EDP ) and at the Guerlain counters have this batch code )
    Unless the 00 is actually OO........*shrugs*

Alcohol ,parfum,aqua, limonene,linalool,eugenol,hydroxycitronellal, alpha-isomethyl ionone,benzyl benzoate,evernia furfuracea ( treemoss ) extract, BHT, citronellol,geraniol,citral,cinnamyl alcohol, benzyl alcohol, hexyl cinnamal, isoeugenol ,benzyl salicylate,CI 19140 ( yellow 5 ) , CI 60730 (ext. violet 2 ) , CI 14700 ( red 4 )

( exactly as printed at the back of the box )

Mitsouko Parfum extrait
    Batch code 9U01

The same as the EDP but at the end the extra ingredient is CI 42090 ( Blue 1 )
    and ingredients BHT and citral come lower on the list after treemoss.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I've moved this thread to another forum as its more being used as a tracker now. I've added the original suggestion to my feature tracker, and will hopefully implement something into the directory which will enable this sort of thing