Code of Conduct

Thread: Frankincense?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frankincense?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a really good frankincense EO and frankincense-like synthetics that are available in smaller quantities from good suppliers online. Anyone had any really good experiences with any products in particular?

Thanks,

Benj

Default Re: Frankincense?

I see you are in the US. Have you tried Eden Botanicals? They are a popular place in the US and they have some Somalian that is supposed to be good.

Post Thanks / Like

also white lotus
    http://www.whitelotusaromatics.com/prices/eomq.html

omani seems to be out of stock now.
    also while I haven't done yet so myself, I suggest sampling co2 extract as well.

I think that Eden Botanicals Frankincense SCO2 extractions are great at capturing the full range of the true material as is Liberty Natural's Frankincense absolute. The essential oils are very terpenic and sharp when compared to these extractions and probably the best available stateside that I've encountered. Either way, best of luck!

I use and love Liberty Natural's Frankincense.

oliverandco

i highly recommend you Liberty Natural.
    i bought EO and Absolute, and they are the best i tried

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all! Looks like Liberty Natural is a good place to start!

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa ok I'm on the Liberty Natural page and for Frankincense EO there are 5 options: Ethiopian, Somalian, Kenyan, UK and Indian, plus 2 absolutes (Indian, and 50% Somalian in DPG) - any recommendations as to the best of these?

oliverandco

i bought west indies absolute and Somalia EO

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the Liberty Naturals information. I have been looking for a good source for Frankincense since the place I had been getting it from dropped it. I really liked the one I was getting from San Francisco Herb Co. http://www.sfherb.com I also liked their rose geranium EO which they have also discontinued. It seems there are price increases and supply disruptions with some of these important items.

I tried the frankincense from Wholesale Supplies Plus, a soapmaking supply place, I thought it was kind of harsh, am hoping it will age into something better, but I wouldn't buy it again, I was spoiled on the one from SFHerb.

I am saving the last 1/4 oz I have of that and trying to bond with the frankincense fragrance oil I got from Save on Scents, it is really not too bad when you don't smell it right next to the good stuff. On its own without any comparisons I think I can make it work for me.

I will definitely keep that Liberty Naturals in mind for the future.

My first post! Been reading here for a while, you guys are very helpful, I hope to participate more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oliverandco View Post
    i bought west indies absolute and Somalia EO
    Great, thanks!

if any one interest somalifrankincense row material direct from farm i can supply

oliverandco

where are you from?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KORI View Post
    if any one interest somalifrankincense row material direct from farm i can supply
    I am interested. How do I get it? I only want a very small amount. Can you send a personal message with details, or post here for everyone.

hey i from the land called the punt. meaning the land of perfumes (northeast of somalia) or puntland regan.

Hi Kori, welcome to basenotes. Do you harvest it yourself? Is it your farm? We would love to know all about it. There is nothing so lovely as knowing the true origins of ones own perfumes when you make them.

hi mmsy i use to harvest when i was young of course we have own 7 farm but now i live in north America

and make marketing and selling our product direct to the world

Show us where to look and what to do..... I love Frankincense.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really excited to visit Enfleurage in New York soon and try their Omani frankincense. I am working on a white rose based floriental for a friend who is to be married in Istanbul this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

I obtained real frankincense from a Chinese herb shop here in Vancouver. It looked like orangy, yellowish resin. I think they are called "tears". I ground it up in a mortar and pestle and then covered it in 95% ethanol, and stored it in a jam jar, sealed tight. Every few days I'd give it a good shake to mix it up. After a month or so, I drew off about 8 drops of the now yellowish alcohol to use in a fragrance blend. It smells fine, quite good actually, but I find when I put the perfume on my skin, it leaves a sticky, gummy surface. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Post Thanks / Like

i am not entirely sure, but this might help: chill the stuff in your fridge for a day or a little longer. then filter it (best to use lab-grade filter-paper and a clean, glass funnel). the waxy material should solidify, and can be filtered out. people in the industry do this.

btw, it is said that in general, the white/cream/yellow/ambery tears of olibanum are preferred over the orangy/reddish tears for perfumery use.

Post Thanks / Like

Heard this place is awesome for Frankincense & myrrh oils and resins,
    has any others shopped here before?

http://www.scents-of-earth.com/frankincense.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoglio italianO View Post
    Heard this place is awesome for Frankincense & myrrh oils and resins,
    has any others shopped here before?

http://www.scents-of-earth.com/frankincense.html
    Yes! I tried the "High Mountain Somoliland (Boswellia frereana)" - $40 for 5ml. It says on their site "Stronger, Earthen menthol-like scent" and I found that totally accurate. If you like something more than "lemony" in your Frankincense, I'd highly recommend this one. First, I get a really nice sour lime note. But what I really love is when you rub a drop of this between your palms. There's a very strong menthol scent that kind of hits you in the forehead above your nose. Then the earthen scent they mention, I've smelled something like this in a Boswellia Carteri from Somalia but it's stronger here.

I always thought I got something animalic from Frankincense when I rub it on my palms. This one reminds me of the smell of animals at the circus. I can imagine it might smell like a barn too, but I haven't been in one in years and can't honestly remember what a barn smells like. Am I crazy? Has anyone else noticed this?

By the way, the far cheaper Somalian Boswellia Frereana on Scents of Earth is okay, but not as potent as this one. The other Frankincense I've tried is B. Carteri which I got from Katseye Blends (UK) on eBay. Also very good and reasonably priced.

Never tried any of the Omani oils but I have some of the resins and to me they're a lot lighter and more citrusy.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    I always thought I got something animalic from Frankincense when I rub it on my palms. This one reminds me of the smell of animals at the circus. I can imagine it might smell like a barn too, but I haven't been in one in years and can't honestly remember what a barn smells like. Am I crazy? Has anyone else noticed this?
    I was sent an Indian Frankincense from a fellow basenoter, that is positively animal barnyard... almost offensive in it's powerful faecal undertone. Yet others I have are light and lemony. There couldn't be more of a difference with one ingredient. I keep collecting more of this from different sources for this very reason. It totally changes a perfume depending on which one used.