Code of Conduct

Default I've got a Marly Horse! Guerlain Experts, Please Help!

Just got my vintage Shalimar today! (It was still sealed and wrapped in original box). My hands shook as I opened the box. Very carefully mind you...and hoping beyond hope that it hadn't completely evaporated

It had only concentrated a bit. I have about 3/4 of a 1/3oz bottle left. And more importantly it smells divine! (Better than the vintage stuff you get from TPC, too!)

Now I'm just trying to figure out how old it might be. Can anyone out there make a good guess? I'll try to post pictures later after my boys go to bed, but I can't wait to ask until then!

* It does have a gold Marly Horse on the inside of the purple box. Kind plain, not fancy like others I've seen.

* The bottle has acid etched "GUERLAIN
    BOTTLE MADE IN FRANCE"
    from left to right as above.

* There is an interesting tiny "sticker" right above the footed bottom. In white print it says "Contents 1/3 fl oz" Never seen that on a Shalimar bottle so that may be significant to its age. But the "Shalimar" label is plain with nothing else on it.

*It had blue seal at the neck,which I already removed.

* The packaging it came in was interesting. Wrapped in light blue paper with a very faded curly "G" design on it. A silvery/blue ribbon wrapped around it (also with the curly "G" design printed on it. Along with a darker blue label in the center.

*The label uses the term "extrait" and gives the box a number: No 10.909

*Under the paper, the box that holds the purple box is plain white. Top just lifts off to reveal the purple flocked box inside.

So does any of this ring any bells for anyone? Any guesses out there?

I paid $112.50 for the bottle. And I'm feeling pretty good about that right now. Less than what I paid for .25 oz of the new stuff.

I'd really appreciate any info/guesses y'all can give me.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: I've got a Marly Horse! Guerlain Experts, Please Help!

Hmmm...some hits, no answers yet. A little bump to get it up to the top again. Anyone got any ideas?

You might want to PM Mr Guerlain here: Mr. G.

He is the Guerlain expert here.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks for the tip, Primrose! I'll try it.

I would guess 50's-60's. There's a good evilbay guide here with good tips for dating Shalimar.

For a definitive answer, I second calling in The Expert. Mr. G, where are you???????
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm glad your purchase worked out okay!

Thanks, 30 Roses. I was so nervous opening the box. It even had some fragrance coming off of it, but it didn't smell like Shalimar! (There was a stain/watermark on the outside of the box.) Inside, the box was clean, no Shalimar scent. I think someone spilled a different--and much inferior--frag on the box. I do love my purchase...and the vanilla drydown on this one lingers forever and is so wonderfully Guerlain!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bon Vivant View Post
    I would guess 50's-60's. There's a good evilbay guide here with good tips for dating Shalimar.

For a definitive answer, I second calling in The Expert. Mr. G, where are you???????
    That was my very uneducated guess, too. Thanks for the link to the ebay guide. I will check it out...and hope that Mr. G shows up soon.