Code of Conduct

Thread: Baume du Doge

Default Baume du Doge

Today, I'm sampling BdD for the second time, and I must admit: I don't get it.

It's a quality frag with a ton of ingredients that I love, but it just doesn't move me at all. It's a definite "should love" but just barely registers as "like." Why does this happen so often for me with scents by Bertrand Duchaufour?

What am I missing in this frag? What do the lovers of Baume du Doge appreciate about this scent? Maybe with a little guidance I'll find something I've overlooked and appreciate this scent some more. Help me out!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Baume du Doge

To me, Baume du Doge is a more spicy, orange- sweet, creamy version of Jubilation XXV. All the stuff I miss in Jub-XXV, I find in Baume du Doge. I think it`s great stuff! The best scent from Eau d`Italie, and a perfect fragrance for winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Today, I'm sampling BdD for the second time, and I must admit: I don't get it.

It's a quality frag with a ton of ingredients that I love, but it just doesn't move me at all. It's a definite "should love" but just barely registers as "like." Why does this happen so often for me with scents by Bertrand Duchaufour?

What am I missing in this frag? What do the lovers of Baume du Doge appreciate about this scent? Maybe with a little guidance I'll find something I've overlooked and appreciate this scent some more. Help me out!
    Just because it lists the notes you like doesn't mean it will gel for you Wouldn't it be really simple to pick winners then?

I find in BdD a dry incense and boozy-woods character that is so far from your top 12 it might as well be in another constellation (Memoir excepted). It's nice but not FBW...
    Last edited by jathanas; 25th January 2011 at 10:06 AM.

I think I know one of the big reasons I am not enjoying this scent as much as I feel I should be, and that is the use of a specific aroma chemical. I have only ever encountered the chemical in one other fragrance, Jubilation 25 for women, but I am quite sure that these both share that same chemical. How am I so sure? Well, it's a bit of an odd explanation, but here goes..

Even when I'm not wearing it, I almost always have some Reflection Man near me - on a card or sprayed onto a ribbon or something that I can keep in my pocket. I just feel weird if I don't have that scent available to sniff whenever I'm in the mood for it (yes, odd, I know ). Anyhow, whenever I am wearing or even just sniff Jubilation 25, and then sniff Reflection Man, Reflection becomes greatly altered in a very specific way that I don't fully know how to articulate. It becomes even smoother but also waxy, and the sweetness is amplified and it is just rather unpleasant. Now, if I sniff Jubilation 25 on a card, and then Reflection, this will *always* happen, but if I move the card with Jubilation out of sniffing range and wait a minute for the molecules to clear from my nose, then Reflection smells normal again. As I said, this happens every time without fail - just some odd intermingling of two chemicals that shouldn't go together, I guess. Well, when sniffing Reflection after sniffing Baume du Doge, the exact same transformation occurs.

I think the note in question is a type of myrrh synthetic, as both Jubilation 25 and BdD are heavy on the myrrh, and yet the myrrh that is present in each is kind of airy. Airy and fairly light, without great throw, but very long lasting. I'd love to know what chemical that is.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I too, like you SoS, read the descriptions of this one and thought it would be instant love for me. But after testing it more than 4 times, even while I was on a particular Duchaufour-love-fest, I still find something in it, just disturbs my nose.

I blame the saffron. A note I sort of despise. It has ruined more than one fragrance for me.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I'm a Baume du Doge lover i recently bought a bottle (the only Eau d'Italie for me), the drydown is very similar to Serge noire.

On me the drydown is very sweet and there's a lingering, very sweet white musk note, too.

I'd like it if it was drier and had more woods and incense. The idea of an orange-y incense is appealing, but this ends up being yet another Duchaufour that doesn't work on me.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

On my skin it's a "transparent" wood. I smell a light sweet incense, ashy wood, myrrh,spices (clove and cinnamon). The orange brings creamy but isn't owerpowering for me. Maybe it's just don't work on your skin.
    And i'm not a fan of Duchaufour, it's even rare that i like a fragrance from him.

Post Thanks / Like

Since i never smelled real myrrh, i cannot detect this difference on Baume du Doge. But, for me, it was always a cheaper alternative to Jubilation XXV, with a more sweet citrus evident and less incense and woods on me, and more of the myrrh aroma that you notice on the base. When i got my Jubilation XXV, i didn`t see why keep both, so i sold my Baume du Doge.
    SoS, i tried to see the round effect that you seem to get on Douchafor fragrances, but i can`t. Tough, i see that his fragrances from the Dzonghka era always smell like some kind of variation of the same theme - good to smell, but not worthy to have all of them.

By "round" I only mean that he smooths all edges in his fragrances. There's nothing edgy left, typically. Sometimes, that can work splendidly (Jubilation XXV, Al Oudh), other times it's just boring.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Have no love for this fragrance at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    By "round" I only mean that he smooths all edges in his fragrances. There's nothing edgy left, typically. Sometimes, that can work splendidly (Jubilation XXV, Al Oudh), other times it's just boring.
    So you mean that, altough you can pick the notes, you can see the transiction between them as smooth?
    I see that some elements in his fragrances of this era work that way, but the backbone seems always to pop and be dominant on all - which makes them, at least for me, like the same work of art with different colors and lights. It`s nice to see on the wall of a museum, but you would probably choose just one to take home.

Sos, have you already treid CDG Sequoia? I receveid a sample, and by far this one is what reminds me more of Jubilation XXV

Wearing this scent again and enjoying it much much more now. I'm finding my perception of it now to be quite similar to Oslo-Fjord's. It tones down the aspects of Jubilation XXV that are a bit much for me (the raspy wood in the base, especially), while remaining a nice incense and spice scent. I prefer the lesser sillage and longevity compared to XXV, too, as scents that are really strong tend to get on my nerves after awhile (which is the one complaint I have against most Amouages - even the ones I love).

This may sound odd but this scent reminds me of a quieter, more refined take on L de Lolita Lempicka, with a smidgeon of incense added.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!