Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Question What would a fragrance named after your locale smell like? (2 answers please: 1 snarky, 1 sincere)

This website (http://www.mna.cc/perfume/), which purports to offer fragrances based on U.S. states, got us thinking. What name and notes would personify your geographic location?

Of course, we'd enjoy your lampooning your area, but a genuine rendering would be lovely, too.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: What would a fragrance named after your locale smell like? (2 answers please: 1 snarky, 1 sincer

As we live in the ever-sunny Southwest, how about Smogberry?

On the other hand, how about Desert Flower? Something dry and floral.

Fun idea for a thread, Quarry.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What would a fragrance named after your locale smell like? (2 answers please: 1 snarky, 1 sincer

Primrose, do you remember Shulton Desert Flower? I see a number of bottles on eBay.

I'm in Alabama. So my first fragrance would be:

Eau de Barbequed Ribs Extreme.

My second fragrance:

Southern Night--with heavy notes of gardenia and pine and a miniature lightning bug on the label.

Oh, I like this question.
    I am in Tampa.
    I think the lampoon smell would be a mildew-car exhaust-old people smell.
    The complimentary smell would be the sunny rain and lightning mixed with the scent of cooking plantains.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Connecticut: Eau de Commuter Congestion. It should have a very slow development with periods of linearity as everything stands still.
    Our highways are inadequate to the flow of traffic to and from NY.

For Real: Nutmeg State, with notes of maple, nutmeg and tobacco (an historic crop here)
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 25th January 2011 at 01:30 PM.

No idea of a name, but traditionally I'd say the combination of ripe peaches, sweet tea and freshly spun cotton.

Well, I live in Copenhagen, so:

Eau de Tivoli - candyfloss; candied almonds; and a touch of star anise

Eau du Denemark - salt(-water); pinewood; tulip; rose ... and bacon?

Belgian Fries Intense in Parfum concentration... As you all know, fries are Belgian, not French... :P

And as for a serious scent, something aquatic, earthy and smoky at the same time... Called Rain, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Baldufita View Post
    As you all know, fries are Belgian, not French... :P
    Yeah, you guys have the strangest national dish: Fries!

I live in Central Jersey...Newark is 45 minutes away so...Eau de Sulfur Stench would do.

I also live 10 minutes from Princeton University...grand homes, green fields, and Einstein's old stomping ground...so I imagine a scent that has notes of lemon-floor wax, pipe tobacco, parchment, with a hint of garden florals mixed with ivy.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Yeah, you guys have the strangest national dish: Fries!
    And muscles... And Jean-Claude Van Damme...

You love them, just admit it already...

A Northwest Indiana fragrance would have to smell of Sweet Corn, Lake Michigan, Dune Grass, Wildflowers and Sweat. Lot's of hard working people living here! Not, however, completely un-refined...we are only 45 miles outside of Chicago! FUN!

...oh yeah, the name....

How about "IN". I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldufita View Post
    You love them, just admit it already...
    Oh, but I do ... they have always been one of my sinful pleasures!

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    A Northwest Indiana fragrance would have to smell of Sweet Corn, Lake Michigan, Dune Grass, Wildflowers and Sweat.
    Indiana seems to smell nicer than over here in Chicago!

Snarky: mustard and sport peppers!
    Sincere: wet concrete, lilacs, and snow!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Oh, but I do ... they have always been one of my sinful pleasures!

We'd get along pretty well then... :P

I live a mile down the road from David Austin Roses so
    I'd choose a scent called The Rose Next Door.

Sarcastically I would name a scent Stuck Behind A Tractor Again because I always am
    round these parts!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Blog Entries

I hate to sound too snarky, but there are the typical farm animal scents in abundance in the country. And there is the curious, slightly fermented smell of a grain bin. Oh, and don't forget the cat pee.

Of course, on the other hand, we have the best steaks in the world, grasses and flowers in the countryside. In my cityscape, I am fortunate to have abundant flowers and pines. So, maybe something smoky, that smells of spring flowers and sunshine on grass.
    Last edited by kumquat; 25th January 2011 at 07:12 PM.
    Currently wearing: French Cancan by Caron

Hmmm...Austin Tx would fondly and jokingly smell like bat guano, hippies, car exhaust and computer parts (metal, oil, and electricity?).

But the local scents I am most fond of, and associate with Austin, would be a combined scent of: Mountain laurel flowers, cedar trees, sun warmed skin and warm pavement.

Blog Entries

What would a working port smell like?
    Eau de Seagull droppings, as shrill as their cries? Sealion's Share? (a bunch of fish and fishscraps in case you wondered)

On the other hand, Quarry told me at one point that my skin must smell green from living near the mossy trees west of the Cascades... So, Spirit of the Old Forest (a.k.a. IFRA won't get here!) -- pinecones, moss, and mushrooms in abundance, and beautiful smell of wet soil that knows a lot of rain... mmm... that wouldn't be my style, I guess, but I am sure that if DSH bottled this, many people here would love them some. Spirit of the Old Forest, anyone?

Great thread, Quarry!
    Last edited by Warum; 25th January 2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: got carried away and just couldn't stop

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I live in Elkton.

It would smell like an elk!
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

I think I can probably mix snark and affection into one bottle. I'd call it Scamander and it would have a gentle green aquatic feel. Linden blossoms and lavender would layer over tea and the vanillic scent of old books. Canny sniffers would catch a touch of sun warmed old brickwork and grassy cow breath. Just the mention of the name would make people go misty about the pre-IFRA versions. Post IFRA, the scent has become a generic crowd pleasing summery aquatic, playing on it's heritage to charge a ridiculous pricetag.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

I live in The Bronx. The perfume might be called "No Thonx" and would smell like poverty, garbage, urine, cheap hairspray and truck exhaust.

A less snarky version might be "Concourse Water" and smell like Florida water, chuchifritos and churches.

In Southern Ohio.....
    1. Skyline Chili or Montgomery Inn Ribs
    2. Procter & Gamble is HUGE in my city so it has to be a P&G product!!!
    Great Thread!!!
    Gary

California's Central Valley
    Snarky: Essence of cow manure, chemical defoliant & truck exhuast - Hey, perfect for the trucker's fragrance!
    Sincere: Aldehydes (because I like them!), a little fresh cotton flower,orange & orange blossom, almond blossom & tomato leaf.

I'm in Alabama near Huntsville(aka.The Rocket City) so snarky:Rocket fuel,burned rubber,and the sweat from a fat balding engineer.
    One of Alabama's major crops is cotton-so sincere :clean cotton scent.
    Currently wearing: Walk On Air by Kate Spade

Wichita:

Great: sunshine, fresh air, wheat fields, fresh grass and sunflowers

Snarky: the sewage treatment plant mixed with bison poop (Dan brings the smell home from the zoo. Lucky I love animalic!)
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    I live a mile down the road from David Austin Roses ...
    I would love to live so close to Austin roses!

Seemingly endless rain in summertime -L'ondee without the Apres

Whether that's the good or bad is probably a question of perspective.

From the Texas Panhandle:

The Smell of Money: Topnotes of Jalapeno, midnotes of Morning Feedyard (particularly strong when the wind blows from the southwest), and basenotes of Gasoline Refinery and Pickup Truck Exhaust. That's what everyone around here says when you can smell the fermented cow manure for miles - "That's the smell of money..."

But the sincere version would be Summer Backyard: Honeysuckle, cut grass, tomato leaf and basil. At least that's what mine smells like in the summertime, and it's awesome.
    Last edited by coopmom; 26th January 2011 at 02:21 AM.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.