Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Voyou...wtf?! Seriously Guerlain?!

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I personally find the scents worth the money. For my tastes, there is no other house that does quite what Guerlain does, so I find the investment worthwhile.
    Mr, what i question myself is that if they really invest 230 dollars they charge for a bottle of a Parisienne fragrance or one of the exclusives, for instance, or if what you really pay is the exclusive factor. L'Am e d'Un Heros is one that is so similar to Coriolan, cost much more and it has even less sillage. I don't understand the logic where the price goes up and factors like longevity and sillage goes down and the scent remains the same. I don't think they aren't worthy, but if you compare them in questions of quality and complexity with Parfums de Nicolai, there isn't such a difference. I just wished they were priced like PdN, so i'd have much more of the fragrances that i desire of this amazing fragrance house.

Thumbs up Re: Voyou...wtf?! Seriously Guerlain?!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert G. View Post
    Making money is a good thing If people stop buying his products, he will make less of it.
    Making money is a good thing, since the ART is not ruined. Dont you agree ?
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I just wished they were priced like PdN, so i'd have much more of the fragrances that i desire of this amazing fragrance house.
    When you buy a Guerlain you are paying for their huge advertising campaign, the rent on the Champs Elysee flagship, a staff of over 100, and so on. Their overhead is huge, the price of the fragrances and containers is nil. Nicolai does not have this overhead, and I believe Patricia de Nicolai purposely keeps it this way so you talk about her fragrances without prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    When you buy a Guerlain you are paying for their huge advertising campaign, the rent on the Champs Elysee flagship, a staff of over 100, and so on. Their overhead is huge, the price of the fragrances and containers is nil. Nicolai does not have this overhead, and I believe Patricia de Nicolai purposely keeps it this way so you talk about her fragrances without prejudice.
    Do you think that they put part of the costs with the commercial advertising in the exclusive creations? It never occured me that. Anyway, i understand what you say, but i don't know if all this costs justify all the price. I wonder how much of the price is of fragrance, container and the costs of keeping the brand, stores and staff, and how much is the profit margin on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Do you think that they put part of the costs with the commercial advertising in the exclusive creations? I wonder how much of the price is of fragrance, container and the costs of keeping the brand, stores and staff, and how much is the profit margin on it.
    LVMH is a huge holding company, they probably break even or operate at a loss with brands like Guerlain. But they get so much mileage out of the prestige that it brings to them. The profit margins per brand would be an interesting thing to actually see. I'm sure LVMH makes a lot more of its money on Louis Vuitton and its 10% stake in Carrefour supermarkets than on selling bottles of Vouyou. Recently LVMH turned their back on their support of the Dalai Lama, due to a boycott threat by China, which happens to be the predicted biggest growth area for LVMH in the next 10 years.

I couldn't disagree with the OP more. What does this smell like? I don't find anything generic about it. Just because it's not overly exotic, doesn't mean it's generic. Find me a cheaper version and I'll be one happy guy.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Here we go. A name for the first flanker of Voyou: Voyou WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    A Guerlain perfume must first of all "smell good". Jicky, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Shalimar and Habit Rouge might deserve to be called "revolutionary" within perfumery, but not in the modern sense of being "edgy". Only in the sense of smelling really, really good. And I think that Voyou is made in that "smell-good" tradition. I really think it smells good.
    I am not sure that I would agree on that with respect to Jicky. Its civet is daring, and seems to have sometimes caused it to be regarded with the congratulatory esteem, but as often with the bewildered revulsion, accorded to defectors during the Cold War. My own reaction to it a rather confused one of fascinated repugnance, though I am aware that some find it unproblematically pleasant.
    Last edited by Merely; 28th January 2011 at 08:47 AM.

Basenotes Member

sorry to bring up an old thread but I just came back from Epcot and stopped by at the Guerlain pavilion in France..I already own Dandy and am starting to lean towards voyou more..if anyone wants to part with their bottle...please send me a PM of what they want for it and let' see if we can come to terms. Hope this is acceptable post.

I enjoy both Arsene Lupin and Arsene Lupin Voyou and glad I have both in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    You have spoken ill of GUERLAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Off with your head!!!!

Sorry to resurrect this thread...

Many have mentioned Voyou's similarity to generic mens scents. Just curious to know which ones? I'd buy 'em!

I love the combination of coriander, wormwood and sandalwood in this classic, understated beaut. Just don't know if its worth the $245 May just get in on a split on this one.

It's a "love" for me!
    Currently wearing: Tolu by Ormonde Jayne

Lacoste PH. The ingredients are slightly different--that licorice-candy note is ~ present in Voyou, the top of the Lacoste is fruitier, Voyou is spicier--but the structure is the same.

Let me know afterwards
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

Si o No?