Code of Conduct

Question Creed Neroli Sauvage

I want to get some opinions on a few facets of this fragrance. In the reviews I see far-reaching evaluations by members with similar tastes to mine lauding Neroli Sauvage as natural and genteel while others disparage it as utterly synthetic and harsh. Is it a high quality fragrance within the realm of traditional colognes or more of a citrus chypre? It tends to seem that quality varies batch to batch as well here. I have a sample from Lucky Scent and to my nose, and unless it is mislabeled, NS is utterly synthetic and far from anything any citrus lover would even begin to like. It also reminds me of GIT in a way. Notes listed are grapefruit, bergamot, verbena, neroli, and ambergris.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creed Neroli Sauvage

I see it as much closer to my natural citrus (things like Bois de Cedrat) than to my synthetic designer scents. The fair-to-poor longevity of my juice seems to betray that as well. Now I need to admit that I do like synthetic notes, and might not even notice synthetic components which don't make themselves at least somewhat known.

For me, the neroli in Neroli Sauvage is very, very dominant. I can, however, see the similarity to GIT, and would not be surprised if it is something of a citrus fougere with a substantial amount of dihydromyrcenol.

In any case, I have always considered my Neroli Sauvage to be one of my primary and most beloved natural citrus scents.

My experience: varies substantially by batch. You'll have the best luck with a fresh bottle from a high-volume Creed retailer. Once you find a good bottle it's likely you'll fall in love with it. Doesn't strike me as completely synthetic. Its appeal to me: it has a creamy and rich citrus quality, no screechy sour citrus notes. Short longevity, but that doesnt matter to me, because there are times when I want something short-lived. Other times, I happily reapply. Keep trying - seems like a good fit for your style and taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    For me, the neroli in Neroli Sauvage is very, very dominant.
    For me also.

I suppose I'll have to give it some wearings. Hopefully, we can get some more comments here.

Anyone?

To me whats getting utterly ridiculous is labeling every other Creed as 'utterly synthetic' especially when considering when the competitors are putting out. There must be something wrong with your sample because I just bought a new bottle last november and NS is as great as ever.

To me NS is one of the best citrus-woods fragrances on the market...the opening is a citrus melange of excellent lemon, grapefruit, verbena, etc. with out-of-this-world quality...certainly one of the best openings in a citrus fragrance ever, if not the best. The heart notes phase is where NS varies the most...depending on the bottle you may either get a plush, fluffy, soft neroli note or a more citrusy-petitgrain woody rendition. NS is never overly floral with orange blossom tones...it is after all neroli screened through a bright citrus blast rendering it more masculine. The base is the standard Creed millesime ambergris woods.

To me one of the most memorable days was when I bought Malle's Bigarade Concentree and Neroli Sauvage on the same day, with NS's startlingly good citrus notes totally overshadowing the Malle's good but slightly fuzzy and lower fidelity citrus show..
    -

^ I agree with zztopp. I don't find it synthetic, just very, very "bright."
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Thanks for your responses. I wore NS today and I think my sample is of the woodier vintage. To my nose anything that resembles the GIT-Cool Water accord at all seems synthetic--and by synthetic I mean of harsh quality of course, not what the actual amount of natural oil used (and of course natural oils can vary in quality greatly). I suppose I am spoiled by the likes Lorenzo Villoresi Acqua di Colonia and DSH Naturals. Plus I am usually iffy with sandalwood. To my mind Creed's fragrances vary greatly as well. I generally prefer the older ones. Neroli sauvage is certainly better than a lot of designer competition I agree and better even that a lot of niches like Rance 1795 among other.

In response to ZZ Topp's comment, I've ordered another sample to try. After some more wearings I realized the opening citrus is quite nice, but the strong base comes through right away, which is what confused me.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    To me whats getting utterly ridiculous is labeling every other Creed as 'utterly synthetic' especially when considering when the competitors are putting out. There must be something wrong with your sample because I just bought a new bottle last november and NS is as great as ever.

To me NS is one of the best citrus-woods fragrances on the market...the opening is a citrus melange of excellent lemon, grapefruit, verbena, etc. with out-of-this-world quality...certainly one of the best openings in a citrus fragrance ever, if not the best. The heart notes phase is where NS varies the most...depending on the bottle you may either get a plush, fluffy, soft neroli note or a more citrusy-petitgrain woody rendition. NS is never overly floral with orange blossom tones...it is after all neroli screened through a bright citrus blast rendering it more masculine. The base is the standard Creed millesime ambergris woods.

To me one of the most memorable days was when I bought Malle's Bigarade Concentree and Neroli Sauvage on the same day, with NS's startlingly good citrus notes totally overshadowing the Malle's good but slightly fuzzy and lower fidelity citrus show..
    I take a lot of unofficial reviews of Creeds here and elsewhere with a grain of salt, mainly because it's obvious that at least 75% of those who think they're trying Creeds are actually purchasing fakes off ebay and other disreputable discount merchants. They get a vial of some cheap replica juice, are dissatisfied with it, and take it out on Creed as though they've tried the real deal. Anyone who says that Creeds are "utterly synthetic" has yet to try a real Creed. Or they've only tried very old stock from dishonest retailers, bottles that have sat on shelves for a decade or more in less than ideal conditions, and everything about their chemical structure has degraded - something typical of perfumes with more natural ingredients. Creeds certainly aren't 100% natural, but their clarity of note separation indicates to me that they're truly well made and boast some natural oils.

I really love this one and could literally shower in it. Not because its weak, but rather because it smells so good. Soft citrus, dominant neroli, and light woods make this a stunner. I find it very natural and uplifting. I've been without this for a few years but will order me a bottle soon. Possibly tonight or tomorrow.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Institution

As a lover of citrus scents, I really haven't given this scent enough of my skin time. Every time I bump into it at a Creed counter I'm always either coated with some other fragrances or the Creed SA dazzles me with something new. Next time I go to Neimans I promise to head straight to the Creed counter and to drench my arm in the stuff.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I've given Neroli Sauvage a few more wearings and certainly will more in the summer. I've revised my opinion and think it is a good warmer type citrus as opposed to a cold eau de cologne. Being part of the Creed Milesime range, it shows similarity in the heart and base to other in the range (minus for me really) with a strong ambergris-musk-sandalwood accord. I like some of the older Creed citruses like Bois de Cedrat and Citrus Bigarrade. I think even Live Jazz is similar enough to be a decent substitute to NS at a fraction the price though it is a little more synthetic. Also, I've tried several samples of NS and (as with most Creeds) freshness and proper storage make a huge difference.

Basenotes Member

After wearing my recently purchased Neroli Sauvage for a few days on and off, I can't smell it after 10-15 minutes. Do i have a bad batch or is it similar to the Aventus paranoia thread where fatigue has set in with my nose? For others that use NS, how many sprays do you typically give it?

Quote Originally Posted by myk13 View Post
    After wearing my recently purchased Neroli Sauvage for a few days on and off, I can't smell it after 10-15 minutes. Do i have a bad batch or is it similar to the Aventus paranoia thread where fatigue has set in with my nose? For others that use NS, how many sprays do you typically give it?
    I'm guessing you're becoming anosmic to it pretty quickly. I say that from experience. There are times I can't smell it after ten or fifteen minutes, and then a couple hours later someone remarks that I smell great. Other times I can smell it for hours. I generally limit myself to three sprays for that reason. I suspect others can smell it just fine, and I'm just a little fatigued by it.

It is still, by all measures, one of my all-time favorites. Love it, wear it frequently, and can't imagine not having it in my wardrobe.