Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Shalimar Parfum Initial

I got very surprised when i opened my regular sites today and saw fragrantica listing this one with the new idylle duet.
    It seems that it`s a new fragrance:

"Shalimar Parfum Initial – scent of desires, joy and sensuality arrives in a flacon which reminds us of shape of the traditional edition. The new bottle is taller and sleeker than the previous. It is decorated with blue stopper and blue tassel on the neck of the flacon. Liquid of the flacon is coloured in warm pink.

Composition of Shalimar Parfum Initial is created of citruses, green notes, flowers, woody accords and oriental scents. Starting from citruses, the composition adds zest of bergamot and orange. Rose flowers and jasmine enjoy embrace of woody accords of vetiver and patchouli, while oriental notes of vanilla, white musk and luscious tonka give seductive warmth to the whole composition. Green notes provide a fresher tone to the composition.

Face of the advertising campaign for the new Shalimar Parfum Initial is Natalia Vodianova, photographed naked. These photos are supposed to represent innocence and chastity of woman's body, new Eve. The photos were taken by Paolo Roversi."

Will this be a shalimar for beginners? Will this be similar to shalimar at all? Well, i`m curious to try

Default Re: Shalimar Parfum Initial

It sounds similar to Eau Première in the sense that they're both a bit like training wheels for the real thing... But that's not necessarily a bad thing at all!

This sounds... un-Shalimar-ish. And you're right Tott, it sounds like an Eau Premiere kind of thing. And not only that, it sounds like Eau Premiere. (Citrus, orange, rose, jasmine, woods, white musk!?) Everyone is jumping on the EP bandwagon. Although I must admit Kenzo's (Flower Essentielle) is very well done.

Don't think I'll be dreaming of this one, certainly not after Ode.

But thank you for the heads-up!
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Scheduled for a spring release in Europe. How do you see this in the context of Shalimar Eau Légère / Eau de Shalimar?

I find the mention of "white musk" in context with Shalimar amusing.

Basenotes Institution

The juice is PINK!!!

Check out the link !
    http://luxuryactivist.com/?p=1117
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    The juice is PINK!!!

Check out the link !
    http://luxuryactivist.com/?p=1117
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Well, i have enjoyed a lot shalimar ode a la vanille, i wished it was not a limited edition
    Well, i don`t know exactly what to think of this one. As mimi said, it`s pink, and pink juices always turn the warning button on for me. I have an impression that eau de shalimar wasn`t the young crowder magnet they were expecting, so maybe LVMH is trying to do it again with this one?
    I hope that they are not trying to shape Guerlain and Dior like a generic Chanel. It`d be awful with this two brands of a great past

The juice is PINK!!!
    It is so very, very pink. [Big red warning light is going off.]

@Dr. Rudi, I think Rickbr is right. It sounds like the Eau was a flop and that this is take #2.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Perfume Boy View Post
    You do not know how hard I laughed!! Only perfume nuts like us would freak out over pink juice LOL!

Thank you all for the updates. I find the use of "pink" juice to be very juvenile. I like my parfums to be amber or cognac in colour.

This must be the attempt to tap into a younger market.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Me too Primrose re. The preferred color of my perfumes. It'll be interesting to try though.
    Actually I'm somewhat shocked Guerlain have gone this direction with pink Shalimar juice .

Mimi, I dislike the "new" direction Guerlain has taken with coloured scents.

The Voyages collection looked like Clinique skin care bottles, and the Elixir Charnels were pink and coloured.

I do like Le Dandy Arsene Lupin (which is purple juice) and the bottle is the ugly wooden. The scent has to be lovely to overlook the goofy purple perfume and the ugly bottle...and the pricetag.

I found the bottle design of their Petite Robe Noire (Little Black Dress) to be crass: the silly little "cartoon" of a black dress insults the design of the vintage Shalimar bottle.

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...obe_noire.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Sometimes i just wonder how would Guerlain be perceived as brand if the classics didn`t exist and we only had all the post LVMH fragrances...

About pinkiness, there`s only one fragrance until today that really surprised me, and it was Kelly Caleche. I`m yet to find another example that it`s pink and it`s not silly

Basenotes Plus

I don't mind pink juice but Shalimar and pink? No way!

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I'll give this a go when it comes out. Hopefully it will be on par with Eau Première.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

And, we all know pink really does stink. Instead of Mitsouko Pink, it's Shalimar Pink!

http://www.basenotes.net/content/600...lly-Does-Stink

Basenotes Institution

Dr. Rudi- scary how close Baesnotes was re. Pink juice. Just never thought it would be Shalimar!

Rick and Primrose- I also wonder how Guerlain as a brand would be perceived without it's classics and history - just post LVMH.

Basenotes Institution

I'm ignoring the pink juice for now, it's the list of notes that are scaring me. I do not want fruit or white musk in my Shalimar. At least, I don't think I do.

And what's with the rapid fire release of yet another Shalimar flanker? I mean they JUST came out with Shalimar Ode de le Vanille. WTH?

Oh and one more thing: the name is weird. Shalimar Parfum Initial? What!?

Just imagine how hard it's going to be to Google that name. Or furthermore, how confusing it's going to be for the SA's trying to sell this. They're going to think it's a parfum concentration fragrance...while clearly it's an EdP. (sigh)
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

why did they have to destroy Shalimar? nuuuuu

i always though eau premiere to no 5 is shalimar light/eau leageure/eau de shalimar to shalimar.

And it does seem that they have chosen Natalia to play the younger version of Brigitte Bardot and Serge Gainsbourg as the branding of Shalimar -- the song chosen for it was Initials BB, and it was obvious that Natalia is enacting BB according to the song in the ad. Parfum initial? Intials BB? mm.

so what next? Shalimar 2012 Flanker: Shalimar Les Editions Bonnie & Clyde.

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    so what next? Shalimar 2012 Flanker: Shalimar Les Editions Bonnie & Clyde.
    They've got my blessing if they bring back filth, depth and smoke.

I hope it's nice... the pink juice is kind of interesting...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Oh and one more thing: the name is weird. Shalimar Parfum Initial? What!?

Just imagine how hard it's going to be to Google that name. (sigh)
    Yup, the name is somewhat odd - sounds incomplete - it hasn't got the ring of Eau Premiere.

I expect that not much gets pushed through without passing under the keen nose of JP Guerlain. Sure he is only on board as an advisor, but I sincerely doubt much would get past him... especially a new twist on his family classic.
    I am reserving judgement until Ive sniffed it for myself.
    Was there any mention of this being a limited edition, or part of the permanent lineup?

Why can't they do something really outrageous, like bringing back Shalimar parfum as it once was? The Shalimar to end all Shalimars...

Shalimar Parfum Final.

Basenotes Institution

Hah - good one Sean ! I like the sound of Shalimar Parfum Final!

Hah - good one Sean ! I like the sound of Shalimar Parfum Final!
    I wonder if their associate coordinating artistic direction consultant for product development focus groups watches these forums for ideas Mimi

Basenotes Institution

Hi Rick ! If they do , they aren't listening much ! Wish they would!

The SA tells it's a worldwide unlimited release. Judging from the notes listed, "Initial" will not refer to "Shalimar as in the beginning" but rather "Shalimar as clean and fresh and bright". I think it sounds like an "Habit Rouge Sport" twist on Shalimar. Greener, fresher, more floral - for those who didn't find Shalimar Light "young" enough. Shalimar Sport. But I'm sure I'll end up buying it. I kind of love all those spinoffs of Shalimar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    I expect that not much gets pushed through without passing under the keen nose of JP Guerlain. Sure he is only on board as an advisor, but I sincerely doubt much would get past him... especially a new twist on his family classic.
    I am reserving judgement until Ive sniffed it for myself.
    Was there any mention of this being a limited edition, or part of the permanent lineup?

Ah, so the news is finally out, is it?

Fingers crossed, the juice won't be a disaster... but the hue certainly doesn't bode well...
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Well, maybe someone from Guerlain is following here...
    Read my lips! I'm among your target group of young (aehm, still ), sporting and WTH, but if it wasn't for your great classics, I would not even look at Guerlain. So, never dare to discontinue or fiddle around (more) with one of your classics!!!
    Still, the mention of 'white musk' for Shalimar is so ridiculous that it only gives me a sardonic grin...

I really love the old Shalimar and have several bottles of the new as well as the old. I recently purchased Eau de Shalimar and think it will be nice in the summer. I will try Shalimar Parfum Initial but really wish Guerlain would spend some money trying to reformulate the base Shalimar back to its original form. I also like the Shalimar ode a la Vanille which is sold out from the Guerlain Boutique in Bergdorf in NYC. However, the Guerlain counter at Saks Fifth Avenue in NYC still has it if you are looking for it.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

The juice is PINK!!!

I have the urge to stand with a pitchfork and scream ABOMINATION
    DONNA

Blog Entries

sean-dt; +1 for putting the real ingredients back into Mitsouko and Shalimar. Quality, what a concept?

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    Why can't they do something really outrageous, like bringing back Shalimar parfum as it once was? The Shalimar to end all Shalimars...

Shalimar Parfum Final.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: Shalimar Parfum Initial

Brothers and Sisters of fragrance, just a thought, but with the executive decisions of LVMH and the dictates of IFRA, could the end of Guerlain be far behind? If they want success, IMO, they need to disband IFRA, bring back the original formulas, and put disclaimers on the bottles. Can I hear an amen?

Does anybody know why it is Shalimar the guinea pig that gets all the non essential flankers with silly names and why they barely touch Mitsouko (except for a few obscure flankers for the Japanese market) let alone Jicky and l'Heure Bleue? Shouldn't Shalimar be as much a sacred cow as Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue?

Blog Entries

Reminiscent; Shalimar is Guerlain's biggest revenue cow, which they continually milk for all the dollars they can squirt into the milking can. Since Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue are my sacred cows I am happy they leave them alone. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post
    Does anybody know why it is Shalimar the guinea pig that gets all the non essential flankers with silly names and why they barely touch Mitsouko (except for a few obscure flankers for the Japanese market) let alone Jicky and l'Heure Bleue? Shouldn't Shalimar be as much a sacred cow as Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Reminiscent; Shalimar is Guerlain's biggest revenue cow, which they continually milk for all the dollars they can squirt into the milking can. Since Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue are my sacred cows I am happy they leave them alone. LOL
    Isn't it also the house's flagship scent?

Blog Entries

Candy Perfume Boy; Yes, Shalimar is to Guerlain as Chanel No.5 is to Chanel.

Isn't it also the house's flagship scent?

Blog Entries

O. M. G.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    It sounds similar to Eau Première in the sense that they're both a bit like training wheels for the real thing... But that's not necessarily a bad thing at all!

Training wheels are about my limit. I'm dreading the jasmine-and-rock-candy pacifier here.

*holds up two long atomizers of Derby in the shape of a cross and feels around his wardrobe with the other hand for a woody amber stake of some kind*

Quote Originally Posted by n_tesla View Post
    brothers and sisters of fragrance, just a thought, but with the executive decisions of lvmh and the dictates of ifra, could the end of guerlain be far behind? If they want success, imo, they need to disband ifra, bring back the original formulas, and put disclaimers on the bottles. Can i hear an amen?
    amen!
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Candy Perfume Boy; Yes, Shalimar is to Guerlain as Chanel No.5 is to Chanel.
    This is where I agree with tott - if this is done with as much care and flair as no.5 Eau Première, then - yes - by all means. But that is a tall order. I truly believe that Polge got a big piece of no.5 when he swung and hit EP out of the park.

I'm going to give this one a chance. I'm a believer in Wasser - I think he knows what it takes to modernize something successfully. There IS something about Eau de Shalimar that doesn't quite thrill me - that doesn't quite let me love it completely. If Wasser is able to find this lost bit of Shalimar, and retain it in this fragrance, then I will be one very happy RP. But if this is a sugary mess, then I'll stick to Eau de Shalimar and Angel - separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    They've got my blessing if they bring back filth, depth and smoke.
    Amen Larimar!
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

When Judith Brocker's article with the "Mitsouko pink" illustration came out, I laughed and thought, "well, thank heaveans Guerlain will never sink that far."

Oops. Apparently they will if it comes to Shalimar. I mean, really. This is just embarrassing. Sure it might smell all right à la Chanel Eau première, but at least that was packaged in a classy bottle and with pale green juice. This is horrible, syrupy pink, the same color as "Baby Doll Paris." It just doesn't look sophisticated. Moreover even if it turns out to be Shalimar Sport, as Mr. G says, I really don't think Shalimar is a scent that should ever be worn as a casual "sports fragrance." At least Habit Rouge brought images of polo and fox hunting to mind.

Banned

Review up at 1000 fragrances - http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...fragrance.html

It's a stinker.

In my mind Shalimar evokes the color purple. Not that I would ever want to see purple juice.

Can't wait to try how Wasser managed to make Shalimar green. I'll buy a big bottle of it anyway.

I heard from the fine people at the boutique in Las Vegas that the U.S. release of this will be in September.
    Last edited by Primrose; 4th March 2011 at 11:23 PM.

Octavian seems enraged by the sordid affair !!!

Banned

Marie-Helene Wagner posted her review over at The Scented Salamander

She has no problem that Thierry Wasser highly modified the original, and actually goes on to commend him for it...

Some reviewers instinctively hate flankers. I never really understood why.

It has been for sale in Paris for several days already. Wonder if it will go to the tax free shelves too?

The kind people at the Guerlain boutique at the Palazzo say this will be available in August of 2011.

I am starting to get intrigued.

http://fashionetc.com/news/beauty/10...parfum-initial

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    It has been for sale in Paris for several days already...
    Oh someone please smell this soon, and give us a Basenotes review on this one.

Oh and Now Smell This posted the video of ad (probably NSFW):

Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th March 2011 at 02:50 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

It won't be released in the UK until June, so some of us are going to have to wait a little while before we can try it.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

As this has been released in Paris already, has anyone tried this?

Mike Perez, thank you for the video link!

Guerlain has not had a good idea in years, so I am not surprised that they thought they could sell inferior, unoriginal fragrances as long as they attached the word "Shalimar" to them. And PINK?! That idea was cute when the new fragrance was Insolence, a jazzy remake of L'Heure Bleue. But pink juice is tired, old & dated, not to mention unoriginal. I WAS a Guerlain girl. Now I am merely a Mitsouko/Shalimar girl who is quickly becoming a Chanel woman !!!

Quote Originally Posted by vintage*red View Post
    Guerlain has not had a good idea in years,
    Oh, that seems a little harsh.

Are none of these a good idea?

Arsene Lupin Dandy
    Arsene Lupin Voyou
    Cologne du 68
    La Petit Robe Noir
    Cologne du Parfumeur by Thierry Wasser 2010

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Oh, that seems a little harsh.

Are none of these a good idea?

Arsene Lupin Dandy
    Arsene Lupin Voyou
    Cologne du 68
    La Petit Robe Noir
    Cologne du Parfumeur by Thierry Wasser 2010
    Don't forget Insolence, Guerlain Homme, Idylle and Shalimar Ode á la Vanille, all of which are very well done (exceptionally so in the case of Insolence and ODV) scents.

Thumbs down Re: Shalimar Parfum Initial

OMG! will the morphing of the Guerlain classics never end ? Of course history will deal harshly with these "flavor of the day" knock offs, but hath LMVH no concern about anything but the bottom line?

If these folks can't come up with anything more orginal, they need a long vaction somewhere...maybe London.
    "It's not the scent that recalls the person; it's the person who recalls the scent"

According to this article, the scent will launch in San Francisco and San Jose. Oh, my, a leather/floral...

http://www.examiner.com/fragrance-in...ey-august-2011