Code of Conduct

Default Mythical version of Monsieur de Givenchy?

One of my first fragrance loves was Monsieur de Givenchy. It still holds a place in my heart but currently not my wardrobe. I am considering re-buying. I love the bright lavender and lemon opening and always got great longevity from it. I want a classic dry chypre in my wardrobe. So what's the hold-up? Well, that civet in the base went all wrong on my skin, and I didn't notice for the first few months I owned it. Then one day, ugh. Couldn't stand it. It's a shame, too, as I love the way the musk sits close to the skin. Just perfect. So all of the bottles I had were pre-Mythical. I tried some true vintage Monsieur and some of the more recent pre-Mythical bottles and found them quite similar, which is to say identical.

I'm wondering if the civet has been dialed down at all in the newer Mythical bottling? I understand this new version is slightly more persistent, at least based on some well-informed opinions, which is great. If the civet is less noticeable, I may have to give it a whirl. Anyone who has tried both who can tell me?

Thanks.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Default Re: Mythical version of Monsieur de Givenchy?

I don't know about the vintage version, but I have the Mythical version and don't find the civet to be all that prominent. I get a lot of lemon and lavender. I do detect the presence of a civet note, but I only notice the effect of the roundness it imparts.

Arghh. The thing about this scent is that it's like Jicky without the vanilla. Sometimes that's a good thing, but now I'm just craving Jicky.

I'd like to help as well but I've only wrist tested the Mythical release. Never used the opportunity to get to the dry down of it. I still use my bottle of the old stuff and on me don't have worries about a civet problem. Wish I could help, as we know how great this scent is and how it's a thrill to have back in the wardrobe.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I have never tried the original MdG, but I have and love the Mythical Range. The civet is barely perceptible.

I was a fan of Monsieur de Givenchy in the past but for some reason it was absent from my collection for many years. Today I get my new bottle of Monsieur de Givenchy Collection Mythique, expecting to rediscover a bright but smooth citrus I use to enjoy. Well, the bottle I have now is not the same to my memory as the one I used many years ago. The citrus is not smooth and comforting as it was, moreover this version is more powdery and the verbena note is too strong comparing to the original. To my nose, this version reminds me of Ho Hang by Balenciaga.

I know that Monsieur de Givenchy is reformulated. But what’s the meaning of “ Collection Mythique” comparing to the common line in square bottle. I was expecting the Collection Mythique to better or quite true to the original one than common version. Is the label “Collection Mythique” just a marketing strategy?

As I remember, the new version has a big civet note, too.

In my case I didn't sense any difference.

My Scent-of-the-Day for today, Monsieur de Givenchy, Mythical Range. Barely a civet note at all. Beautiful fragrance.

I know I posted above to this thread, but now reading it again I've got to say that if what's in the Mythique bottle is different, it sounds like it's pretty cool.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Not very civet prominent. My only problem with it is the longevity is pretty poor... I have to treat it much like the original Chanel Pour Monsieur. It's really a very beautiful scent.

Banned

i am intrigued by this as well...

I have full bottles of both the vintage and Les Parfums Mythiques Monsieur de Givenchy. The vintage looks like it might be twenty or more years old, with a style of sprayer and cap I never see on new bottles. I picked up the Mythique version at a duty-free store for $40, which made me very happy. It's one of those rare instances when a re-issue is pretty true to the original. I can honestly say I can't tell the difference. The citrus is as fresh in the old and the new. It's uncanny. MdG is a dry citrus chypre in the vein of Chanel Pour Monsieur. Both old and new versions have the civet note, which I personally love, and which to me makes it special. It adds a comfortable lived-in quality to what would otherwise simply be a clean resinous citrus cologne. It wouldn't be a Monsieur without it a bit of history. It's really one of my favorite scents. I carry some in my car in a mini-sprayer as an all-purpose discreet scent to apply in any situation.