Code of Conduct

Default Opium - EDT vs EDP vs Parfum (vintage, of course)

My vintage EDT bottle of Opium came yesterday.
    Lovely, gorgeous and beautiful.
    Dark, sweet, heady, lustful.

How you compare the 3 versions?
    Please respond me this 4 questions below:

1- Smell

2- Lasting

3- Sillage

4- Final Choice

Default Re: Opium - EDT vs EDP vs Parfum (vintage, of course)

Congratulations !

Opium is a Masterpiece !

I find great diferents in Guerlain EDC / EDT / EDP and Pure Parfum

But in YSL Opium
    1 Smell very similar
    2 Lasting not very diferent
    3 Sillage maybe the EDT is very Crisp and powdery sillage at first
    4 final choice I like the Pure Parfum

The only diferent is in the evolution
    EDT / EDP the Open is to more Floral
    Parfum is more amber
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

AromiErotici

I have and wear the EDP version for Men. It's excellent, but I cannot say the same for the EDT rendition. I didn't care for it. As for the parfum, I cannot say.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I have and wear the EDP version for Men.
    I do too and enjoy it very much.

I tried to enjoy Opium PH EDP, but it was useless. I always felt sick when I tried it. But one of my aunts introduced me to Opium for women, which is much better in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Antinous of Bithynia View Post
    I tried to enjoy Opium PH EDP, but it was useless. I always felt sick when I tried it. But one of my aunts introduced me to Opium for women, which is much better in my opinion.
    Is about female version that im talking about.

Oh, I see. I like the female version too, it is really good. I don't know what they did with the male version, but it is horrible!

I love it. The thickly spiced fruit floral topnotes are a little overwhelming, but the base is dusty/woody/spicy, lightly sweetened bliss. I think it was the EDT I sampled.

Lasting power and sillage are both off the charts, and put most masculine powerhouses to shame.

Can't speak to the other versions, but I think if you have the EDT you're going to be just fine.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

I think the EdT is a lot clearer, more radiant and yes...more floral. It has more of that resinous sparkle that is a tad more subdued in the other formulations. Also, the EdT doesn't wear as cloying on me, at least on my skin it is not so thick.

The EdP is very strong, ever more floral and it's very thick. Strong, lasts a long time and the sillage is a bit obnoxious. Almost sticky, I would say. I found it grated on my nerves.

The parfum - perfect! The right balance of sillage, longevity, radiance - all mixed together with more amber and more good ol' oriental stuff (myrrh, spices, resins, woods, etc). It lasts quite long, but doesn't seem to wear on my patience like the EdP.

There is also a Secret de Parfum formulation (discontinued), but I have very little experience with this one - although I remember the BN member scentemental mentioning how it was his favorite version of Opium. I have a sample somewhere...maybe I'll try to wrangle it up and wear it soon.

As far as the 'new' Opium on the shelves now, do yourself a favor and stay away.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think the EdT is a lot clearer, more radiant and yes...more floral. It has more of that resinous sparkle that is a tad more subdued in the other formulations. Also, the EdT doesn't wear as cloying on me, at least on my skin it is not so thick.

The EdP is very strong, ever more floral and it's very thick. Strong, lasts a long time and the sillage is a bit obnoxious. Almost sticky, I would say. I found it grated on my nerves.

The parfum - perfect! The right balance of sillage, longevity, radiance - all mixed together with more amber and more good ol' oriental stuff (myrrh, spices, resins, woods, etc). It lasts quite long, but doesn't seem to wear on my patience like the EdP.

There is also a Secret de Parfum formulation (discontinued), but I have very little experience with this one - although I remember the BN member scentemental mentioning how it was his favorite version of Opium. I have a sample somewhere...maybe I'll try to wrangle it up and wear it soon.

As far as the 'new' Opium on the shelves now, do yourself a favor and stay away.
    Superb commentary. Thanks for sharing your well-informed POV.

My not-so-well-informed POV: I've purchased EdT and EdP for my wife several times. Vintage versions. Both are lovely, rich, warm, sexy, spicy - the definition of oriental, IMO. The EdP stikes me as a longer-lasting, richer, and stronger version of the EdT. No big surprise. I don't detect strong differences in the basic structure or formulation. The EdP is just - well, stronger, richer, and longer lasting. You might say it's a linear enhancement, but in a very good way, in this case.

Well, looks like i NEED to purchase the EDP RIGHT NOW!!!!!

All I have to say is.............it is either the vintage EDT or the parfum..........SKIP the edp

i seem to have 2 different vintage versions of opium edt. the first one has gold trimmings on the cap. the other one just has the plain cap. i hope u guys know what i am talking abt. i suspect the one with the gold trimmings is the older of the 2. However, i find the gold one smells rather harsh. hence, i personally prefer the one with the plain cap. i also have the secret de parfum. gosh.. this is one sillage MONSTER!!! one spray and u can choke an army...

as for the pour hommes, i have both the edt and edp. i like both. edt is easily wearable. most pple around me like it. edp is a bit more polarising. but i like it personally. the edp is decidedly thicker, sweeter, spicier, longer lasting and better sillage. i think the addition of mint in the edp helps make the overall scent not too cloying.. kind of lends an element of "transparency" to the sweet oriental smell if u know what i mean. good stuff!!

Basenotes Institution

I have loved all three versions.I could never pick a fave.
    EDT- incensey -pretty long lasting but more transparent than the EDP. I actually used to dab this on - just small amounts and obviously it was still notceable as I would get complimented on it which surprised me.
    EDP- sweeter, very potent ,fab stuff. I reckon a 50 ml / 1.7 oz EDP could last me for a year even if I used it everyday . One- two sprays is sufficient.
    Parfum- gorgeous - even more potent .A couple of drops will do .

Also the body wash ,soap and lotion is lovely - I think you can pick up minis of these on the EvilBay and they are not too expensive.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

If you want a treat.........besides the edt and the parfum vintage........try the flanker Opium Fleur de Shanghai! Very nice and lighter.....

I had Secret de Parfum and it was marvelous, best oriental I have ever tried.

Can some one post pictures of the different Opiums vintage EDT EDP and the versions just before the reformulation?

I love the EdP! Mine is the vintage original 60ml dabber bottle. Yummy stuff but powerful. I've had almost every version of Opium in my time and Secret de Parfum was the best but rare as hens teeth even on auction sites

Rizack, I don't have pics handy at the mo but the new bottle shape is like Belle d`Opium but brown while the old ones are a taller slimmer bottle (except the parfum which is squat with tassels).

You can see them on Google images

Quote Originally Posted by Rizack View Post
    Can some one post pictures of the different Opiums vintage EDT EDP and the versions just before the reformulation?
    VINTAGE EDT:
    [IMG][/IMG]

VINTAGE EDP:
    http://houseoffraser.scene7.com/is/i...86_50_20090518

1993 SECRET DE PARFUM:
    http://perso.numericable.fr/minoute4...Z/YSLCol73.jpg

2003 SECRET DE PARFUM:

EDP REFILLABLE BOTTLE:
    [IMG]http://www.ysl-parfums.com/__cache__/image/multimediaelement/pj/60/e6/33/19/105015300000_320x52309.jpg[254x254].JPG;jsessionid=oTmRF2uZ4sdigEWVsmQmDA**.ysl-web2[/IMG]

EDT VERSION BEFORE 2009 REFORMULATION & PACKAGING CHANGE (I think 2003)

There's still the 2003 EDP to post a pic of, and the parfum, and then of course there are the many many flankers...someone will have to pick up where I left off

Awww, man! Some of the photos didn't load. Darn. Sorry. The 1993 Secret de Parfum is sort of like the 2003 one but is tall like the 2003 EDT bottle. Not short like the 2003 Secret de Parfum. The refillable EDP that didn't load is actually pretty cool because it looks kind of like the regular parfum bottle but with an atomizer top. It can be found here: http://www.ysl-parfums.com/eau-de-pa...preferedCateg= Even though the photo didn't load of the vintage EDP, the link displayed seems to work so if you click on it you'll get to see what it looks like.
    Last edited by AutumnLeaves; 27th February 2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Typo

the mine SdP was 1993 and I swear I have never ever smelled better oriental perfume. Truly masterpiece.

What a coincidence! Just yesterday I purchased the vintage edt and it's potent and spicy as I remember. What I didn't realize before was the carnation drydOwn which was a pleasant and unexpected surprise.

Does the vintage edp really differ or parfum?

I have a birthday coming up and I am gonna ask for vintage EDT, that drydown sounds delightful. Thank you for posting the photos

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Does the vintage edp really differ or parfum?
    Differ from the vintage EDT? Not that much. The vintage EDP to my nose is more potent and dense (if that makes sense) than the vintage EDT. I seem to be able to pick out more of the notes in the vintage EDT than in the vintage EDP. Both outstandingly beautiful though. I have not tried the vintage parfum, only the new one, so on that I cannot comment.

Differ from the current formulation of EDP or parfum? Absolutely. HUGE difference.

Is ebay the only place to get the vintage stuff EDT or EDP doesn't matter to me. Some site have the vintage picture bet when you call you find out that it is the current version.
    Last edited by Rizack; 28th February 2012 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLeaves View Post
    Differ from the vintage EDT? Not that much. The vintage EDP to my nose is more potent and dense (if that makes sense) than the vintage EDT. I seem to be able to pick out more of the notes in the vintage EDT than in the vintage EDP. Both outstandingly beautiful though. I have not tried the vintage parfum, only the new one, so on that I cannot comment.

Differ from the current formulation of EDP or parfum? Absolutely. HUGE difference.
    Thank you for your wonderful insights I'm sorry if I wasn't clearer as I was typing on an iphone lol. You're correct; I meant does the vintage EDT differ from the vintage EDP. I don't think a more potent EDP is what I'm looking for as I love the transition of notes in the EDT (while not suffering from both sillage and longevity) due to the space in the formula. The bright bergamot, the spicy cloves, the fiery carnation and the best of all, the mossy and powdery, intensely resinous base that lingers FOREVER!

I agree the current formulation is abysmal.

I have a birthday coming up and I am gonna ask for vintage EDT, that drydown sounds delightful.
    Happy early birthday! The vintage EDT really is fantastic. I hope you score a bottle for your birthday. I just hope you're not going to be bidding against me on the evilbay!

Is ebay the only place to get the vintage stuff EDT or EDP doesn't matter to me. Some site have the vintage picture bet when you call you find out that it is the current version.
    If anyone knows of any other sources, please post! I purchased mine on Ebay. What I do though is look for listings of "used" full bottles from private parties. They usually end up being the real deal. You can also ask them to send you the numbers on the bottom of the box to check against the date codes (I've got a copy of the website link somewhere. I'll post it if I find it) .The power sellers with stock photos worry me. I try to avoid them.

Very good point AL, will try and do both ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    the mine SdP was 1993 and I swear I have never ever smelled better oriental perfume. Truly masterpiece.
    I agree completely. I have a few bottles of the 1993 Secret de Parfum stashed away and I absolutely adore it. It's got a smokiness that the new formulation is sadly missing. An interesting thing happens with the opening for me. If I put on one spritz I get the usual wonderful spicy incense of the vintage EDP opening but if I go a bit heavier on the application, my nose registers cinnamon, cinnamon, cinnamon....and more cinnamon. I don't pick up on any of the rose that I get in the vintage EDT opening. I happen to love the smell of cinnamon so I don't mind one bit, but the SdP is definitely so potent one spritz will do ya.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    My vintage EDT bottle of Opium came yesterday.
    Lovely, gorgeous and beautiful.
    Dark, sweet, heady, lustful.

How you compare the 3 versions?
    Please respond me this 4 questions below:

1- Smell

2- Lasting

3- Sillage

4- Final Choice
    Congrats!

1-smell is sweeter for EDP-PP, yet sexier or "lustful" as you told for the EDT (my opinion, and first version);
    2+3-all are all day long lasting and the sillage is superb;
    4-cannot make a choice by quality, I personally find them very different and unlike others, but I am more attached with the EDT in emotional terms.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Agree with almost everything (find the EDT more floral and sharp, yet as "sticky" and "dark", more interesting then EDP, and agree on PP being the best balanced, rounded one), must be my skin! Beautiful concepts, so helpful and precise.

Quote Originally Posted by dark phoenix 123 View Post
    i seem to have 2 different vintage versions of opium edt. the first one has gold trimmings on the cap. the other one just has the plain cap. i hope u guys know what i am talking abt. i suspect the one with the gold trimmings is the older of the 2. However, i find the gold one smells rather harsh. hence, i personally prefer the one with the plain cap.
    It is correct, the gold at the top indicates first version (o.v.) for the edt, much better yet as you have told, "harsh" then the second version (vintage also; discontinued as well). The one you prefer is the one listed in most databases, and was a transition till YSL well, did an entirely different Opium!
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLeaves View Post
    VINTAGE EDT:
    [IMG][/IMG]

VINTAGE EDP:
    http://houseoffraser.scene7.com/is/i...86_50_20090518

1993 SECRET DE PARFUM:
    http://perso.numericable.fr/minoute4...Z/YSLCol73.jpg

2003 SECRET DE PARFUM:

EDP REFILLABLE BOTTLE:
    [IMG]http://www.ysl-parfums.com/__cache__/image/multimediaelement/pj/60/e6/33/19/105015300000_320x52309.jpg[254x254].JPG;jsessionid=oTmRF2uZ4sdigEWVsmQmDA**.ysl-web2[/IMG]

EDT VERSION BEFORE 2009 REFORMULATION & PACKAGING CHANGE (I think 2003)

There's still the 2003 EDP to post a pic of, and the parfum, and then of course there are the many many flankers...someone will have to pick up where I left off
    There were similar bottles back in 1977 for edt-edp (extrait had the bomb and tassel),with same formula as the glass with golden top; don't know if the one of 2003 you are looking after is the collector's one (painted, not the limited edition Legends...China/flankers but the one that says YSL at the side) or the one that looks similar to the first edp you have quoted by link (the one with the open circle?).

If can be quoted, the edt in question is this one:

Vintage EDT, very similar to Vintage EDP-boxes and legend are different; extrait would have the bomb and tassel plus the special box.

Transition between 1977 and 2003 if I am correct-box is different, so is bottle.

This is the one I believe is from 2003.

Vintage extrait, the best pictures didn't rise up.

The new version for extrait bottles (cap can be either white or translucent), more vintages can be seen at online stores (where you are about to buy them) and other online places, with the rounded box and the golden cap.

Last edited by Virtue&Sin; 2nd March 2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: images
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

I just purchase this version, hope this is as good as i remember it.

Excellent! Congrats on the bottle!

My perfume arrived and it smells heavenly rich. I am curious when it was manufactured. There are two different numbers on it one being a four diget number on the sticker at the bottom of the perfume and the back of the box 8029. Another number in back that is very hard to see, that number is 81661. i checked one site and all it says is the perfume is more then 4 years old ( gee I hope so it is a vintage bottle ). I left a message on the YSL site asking them but i have asked before on anoteher perfume and got no response. Also the phone number they have on their site is not working.

If the bottle has the gold on top like in the photo you posted earlier, then at least you know it's sometime between 1977 and 2003

I've never tried contacting YSL via phone but I have received timely responses from them via email.

Maybe try finding the production date via this site:

http://cosmeticswizard.net/

Yes it is the EDT bottle exactly and it does smell devine, great sillage and lasting power, very rich amber color too!

I tried this site and entered both numbers, it says I entered wrong number and need 13 numbers? CheckCosmetic.net is the one that says it is over 4 years old. Oh well i'll see if YSL contacts me.

I did find another number on the box bottom back where the box is dark purple, so it was hard to detect this number. That number is EMB603508166
    Last edited by Rizack; 7th March 2012 at 10:35 PM.

Okay I contacted YSL and it turns out they could not tell me the manufacturing date. The reason is YSL is owned by Loreal and has been since 2008. So this must be the reason for this last reformulation and the lack of batch number identification. I wonder who owned it before?

This whole thread is why I love BN'ers: pictures, dates, impressions, reviews, commentary. And all of it makes me so so want a vintage bottle or plural, bottles, of Opium. I have one small sampler hiding somewhere. But since I seem to love orientals lately, I must have it! Another treasure hunt in my future.

Thanks all for loving perfume this much.

Interesting thread. I have a large bottle of the vintage EdT and I now want to purchase the 'vintage' parfum. I've seen these in 7.5ml, 15ml and 30ml formats. Any thoughts on what one should expect to pay for these?

The parfum version is the best so far.

- - - Updated - - -

The EDT is the worst of them.