Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default The Final Verdict: Oud Wood

This is my current impression, it's very likely that it will change after awhile, probably for the better

"Exotic Rose Wood and Cardamom, blended with exuberant Chinese Pepper, envelop the wearer in warmth. Eventually, the center exposes a smokey blend of rare Oud Wood, Sandalwood and Vetiver. Finally, the creamy scents of Tonka Bean, Vanilla and Amber are revealed." - Tom Ford

I've got a few 4mL samples of this and have been testing it out occasionally over a few months, and my last few wearings have had the same development, which is my indicator that I've got a solid grasp on it now.

Opening: Pure Malt's twin. Not an identical twin, but a twin nonetheless. I simply can not shake the similarity I find with the two openings of this fragrance. The difference with Oud Wood is that there is a hint of pepper and the oud's medicinal thing is there, but their sweetness' are extremely similar (I'm assuming it's the base notes popping up, as they have similar base notes). If Pure Malt is the gourmand twin, this is the woody twin. This lasts about 5 minutes before another phase shows up.

Middle Phase: This is between the opening and the heart, I point it out because I see it as an actual stage because it's different from both the opening an the heart. A slight rose note blends with a tonka bean note. Strangely enough the tonka bean shows up HERE, pretty early into the fragrance. In my opinion it is a genius move by the perfumer as it provides a necessary sweetness to counterbalance the other notes in this phase. The cardamom adds a slightly menthol and slightly nutty note, all while being backed by a bitter and medicinal oud note.

Heart: Oud with tonka and the slightest vanilla. There's not really much else to it, its sweet yet woody. There's also a warmth brought by sandalwood, which really keeps the fragrance from seeming totally callous. The sandalwood, although not necessarily directly smelled, more felt, adds a life to the oud. A bit of Pure Malt's heart shows up here, a sort of rubbery, smokey note.

Drydown: An ironic drydown really. For a fragrance called Oud Wood, there's very little Oud here. Its a complete inversion of the heart: The vanilla takes the reigns and the oud takes the back seat (it's still present but not a punch in the face like it is in the heart). The tonka bean shows up in the slightest wafts, it's actually an aftersmell (like an after taste for your nose!). If you smell it, you dont smell the tonka until the fragrance hits higher up into your nose. There's traces of some vetiver, which adds a earthy touch.

Overall smell: The perfumer of this is a genius as far as I'm concerned. The notes are all very high quality, nothing seems to scream "cheap" in this one. It's extremely well blended, and each stage has contrasts of sweetness with total oud-sanity.

When would I wear this?: Whenever really. I can see it being used in the summer in smell doses, it blooms with body heat actually, showing the woodier side as opposed to the sweet side. This could easily be worn in the office in small doses. It's classy enough to be worn to a formal event...it's an extraordinary fragrance in this sense.

Projection: It's a Private Blend, Mr. Ford takes "eau de parfum" seriously. This can be smelled strongly on my arm after one splash on application.

Longevity: The longevity on this is brutal. I can still smell it on my arm after a tiny dab and after taking a shower...a day after putting it on. The Oud note lasts an eternity.

How do I wear this?: A few dabs (remember I'm using 4mL samples, it's probably different for sprays) to the sides of the neck and a few to the heart. I've had this last all day, night, and next day practically with that minimalistic application.

What kind of fragrance is this?: It's a classy, woody, oud-y sweet fragrance. It starts off strong but ends up being a less-than-subtle skin scent.

Overall Impression: A genius oud fragrance for people who might not necessarily like Oud. The sweet notes provide a contrast to the total chaos of the oud bubbling slowly underneath. It is very classy, but can be worn casually, and as far as I'm concerned could be worn anywhere with a little bit of knowledge and experience with how to wear it.
    It's got it's flaws - it requires a learning curve to wear properly (less is more with this one, its a cloying SOB if you wear too much of it), but overall it's extremely well done. The longevity and projection are stellar, and the notes could not be much better, the price is terrible as is expected with the Private Blend, but if you really like this, it's well worth the price. I'll probably own a bottle in the next few years as it's really growing on me. Another unique and high quality Private Blend fragrance!

RATING: 4.5/5

Default Re: The Final Verdict: Oud Wood

I actually prefer M7 to Oud Wood, but that's not to denigrate the latter. I think Oud and that Cherry note just work especially well together. Given the price disparity, I've never considered adding it to my collection. Still a very solid frag though!
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

I will take M7 over Oud Wood any day.

I have a couple of the 4ml samplers and enjoy them. I don't get quite the association you get to PM, but love em both and the less is more comment is spot on.

Right now, I've got a drop of oud wood on the left wrist and a drop of surrati's tom oudh on the right. Since price point matters to most of us, I suggest giving surrati's offering a shot before dropping mad money on a bottle the size you've pictured.

Blog Entries

I'm hopefully getting some other oud fragrance samples soon and I'll add a comparison section once I get more impressions on oud itself.

I plan to make my "verdicts" evolve a bit, edit as necessary, etc. I'm still a newbie as far as I'm concerned, and when considering notes like these, it's uncharted territory for me. Yes I've got a grasp on Oud Wood, but Oud itself varies so much.

Neurosis, have you sampled Jubilation XXV? It's not an oud, but your Top 4 favorites are pretty similar to my own, and right now that's the newly-discovered frag I'm most impressed with. Give it a chance, maybe.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Very good description indeed. I also find Oud Wood interesting and well built. However, after smelling some real oud oils, I think that some of the most complex ones (such as the aged ones) are more interesting. Somehow, the "woody" component is stronger in them, while I feel that the Tom Ford stresses the "band aid" quite a bit. More regular oud oils (which are sweeter) usually have some other component, like rose, which I feel complements and enriches the basic oud notes (and many of them are cheap too).

But I'm a newbie too in the oud field, so I'm looking forward to learning more.

cacio

Neurosis, I've been getting into Oud oils lately, and have just tried a Mukhallat, which is a blend of Oud, frankincense, sandalwood oils and a bit of tobacco. What really struck me is the similarity of the Mukhallat and Jubilation XXV - one of my all time favourites and my first real scent infatuation I hadn't really thought of it as an "Oudy" frag, but this morning I pulled it back out of the cupboard and discovered another side to the wonderful Jubilation XXV. The Oud is subtle, especially as the Omani frankincense dominates it in both, and there's no tobacco in Jubilation, but it's there.

So I second Rumblefish. I highly recommend you try it!

I haven't tried the Tom Ford Oud Wood, but I was virtually on my way to buy a bottle when I got side tracked and ended up with a dozen samples of Oud oil and a new expensive hobby

Sparky:

which Mukhallat did you buy (brand, name etc)? Most mukhallats I have smelled don't have much frankincense (or at least, it is not prominent), but I like Jubilation XXV and so this sounds very interesting.

(I'm planning to order a few more oud oils and mukhallats soon).

cacio

It is from Agaraura.com. They have two available and I got both (arrived today). Mukhallat Naqi is very powerful, and I believe a more traditional style. I've put it aside and and now wearing Nippon Koh. I really like it. For the past few hours I've been enveloped in an aura much like Jubilation XXV, but if I smell close - there is the unmistakable Oud. I think you can get samples of these too. I have all of their current samples of Oud oil and particularly recommend Cambodi Royal and Oud Malinau.

Interestingly, the perfumed court list Jubilation XXV as an Oud frag...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Interestingly, the perfumed court list Jubilation XXV as an Oud frag...
    It only emerged in the heart for me. very interesting as the Oud was completely unnoticeable for the first couple of hours.
    ---
    -josh

www.imaginaryauthors.com

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
    -Oscar Wilde

Sparky:

thanks for the suggestions. I have never ordered from Agaraura (I am ordering at Zahra, a more traditional arabic place), but it seems the next thing to try, and others had suggested already in other threads. Interesting that they called the oil "Nippon" - surprisingly perhaps, so far what I've smelled from Arabia does not have much incense. (I have not explored the Omani houses though, such as the Amouage oils).

cacio

Nippon refers to an acknowledgment of the parallel tradition of Oud, or aloeswood, in Japanese culture. It is therefore a little different to the more traditional Arabic types, and thus a little unusual.

I need to buy a larger decant of this to really see if I adore it. The first time I wore it I found it too light and maybe even floral? Since then I've come to appreciate fine oud fragrances.

When people are saying they prefer M7 over TF Oud Wood - the vintage M7, I take it?