Code of Conduct

Default Help! Any fragrance that SMELLS like the colour blue, the moon, night, midnight?---> Read more..

I know it sounds crazy but you know it makes sense . I hate commercial mall scents but out of boredom, I tried on a L'occitane Mimosa and as I went through my day, the words that came to my mind with each whiff was warm, heat, sun, golden. Turns out mimosa is known as golden winter sun lol! So yea, I'm not crazy. I want to smell like the colour blue, the moon, night or midnight...... they all have the common thread of dark blue . Please don't suggest something just because it has blue juice or has those words in the fragrance name. I want something that actually smells like blue, moon, night, midnight-->dark blue. Help me! Pretty please! Thanks

Feel free to tell me what you associate with blue, night, dark, midnight, dark blue, moon etc. It could help me get a better idea of where you are coming from with the fragrance suggestions.
    Last edited by TeeTee; 27th January 2011 at 11:23 PM.

Default Re: Help! Any fragrance that SMELLS like the colour blue, the moon, night, midnight?---> Read more..

Serge Lutens A la Nuit, Tom Ford Black Orchid...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help! Any fragrance that SMELLS like the colour blue, the moon, night, midnight?---> Read more..

How about l'Heure Bleu?

+1 for L'Heure Bleue

Also Bulgari Blu Notte - I haven't tried it yet (have it on order !) but I remember reading a review somewhere, & it was described as smelling "blue"

What about the new Cartier de Lune?

It's funny you post this - I think of blue as an unpleasant scent for some reason. Not midnight or moonlight, lots of smells remind me of night and smell great, but blue the color. Roses smell sort of blue to me - not dark blue but lighter and sort of like water. Dark blue somehow seems like it would hurt my nose, I definitely associate a smell with it but don't like it.

Wow I would not have really put this together without the post. Please do post if you find one you end up buying & wearing as I'd like to smell it and see if there was something that actually smelled dark blue but good to me.

Welcome to Basenotes, TeeTee!

Fun question - I like to think of fragrances in terms of colors, too! But since colors don't have any odor and blue isn't an actual note there's simply no way of telling you what "actually smells like blue..." (mimosa smells yellow mostly because it is yellow and polleny, I'd wager.) Even people with synaesthesia won't all agree on which fragrances conjure specific colors for them. I know what you're getting at, but you can't really expect any definitive answers - they'll be based on suggestive imagery, creativity and/or associations rather than actual notes, for obvious reasons.

Fwiw, the discontinued floral chypre Flora Danica smells blue to me, but it's a deep slate blue rather than midnight. Lancome's Climat is also sort of blue-smelling, but again, it's not very dark. Lorenzo Villoresi's Teint de Neige smells pale silvery-blue to me, and it does remind me of moonlight but that's because I use it as my bedtime fragrance, so there's my association. The closest I've smelled to anything nearing dark blue is Tom Ford's Noir de Noir - it seems deep purple to me.

I hope you get lots of responses - I'd be interested to see what others have to add. Have fun with your search, and good luck!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 27th January 2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: sp
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Dark Amber & Ginger Lily comes to mind,
    but maybe it's only me that see it as Dark Blue...

Sarrasins maybe, as I associate jasmine with summer nights.

I find it extremely hard to dissociate the smell from the color of the bottle, the color of the perfume, the name, the actual colors of various ingredients. Evangeline's post is great at explaining the phenomenon.
    I suppose "blue" as described by Tee Tee would be a perfume that is cold, distant, sad, melancholic, dry.
    One perfume that smells blue to me is Avignon. I am not even sure what the bottle looks like, the perfume itself is not very colorful and incense does not have much of a color (charcol grey maybe?). I have never been to Avignon, so the first image that comes to my mind is a Monet painting: the one of the bluish Rouen cathedral. But the images that follow it are darker and darker, as if moving from outside the cathedral in the early evening, inside, towards the hidden corners. And the light coming through the stained glass windows, is of course blue.
    But it is all so subjective.

A few years ago Avon had a range of scents/colognes, one was called 'Clean Cotton', this was lovely and very chambray blue.

You could try Ghost (the original) and Ghost Deep Night.
    Never judge anyone until you have walked a mile in their shoes

That's interesting - the whole synaesthesia thing is interesting anyway, but I've only recently realised that it applies to perfumes. There are some perfumes I can only wear with particular colours and feel out of sorts if there is scent-colour mismatch.

I only know a very small range of scents compared to most of the posters here, and the only blue association I have is with the Soir de Paris bottle that sat on my mother's dressing table and was a beautiful blue like Bristol glass...I think the sent was violet-y which would tie in, but very sweet, too, which is not moon-like - sorry, not helping much but good topic.

Thanks Evangeline for the welcome

I did not even know what mimosas were much less that they were yellow but those were the words that came to mind. If that could happen, I am confident that words or images like blue, night, moon etc could be conjured up as well but with the right perfume. Since it is subjective, adding a short description of what you associate with those words gives me a better idea of the fragrance suggestion and where you are coming from. Ultimately, I will have to try samples to find out which works with my body chemistry and that is fine but suggestions do help a lot. If and when I find it, I shall post about it hehe!

Darkdreams' post is more like what I mean because that is what comes to mind for most people I think. People that like warm, sunny, heat will probably associate blue and night with sad, cold and melancholic. Difference is, what they find melancholic, I find soothing and dreamy . I just love blue and the night!

Yes darkdreams you are right. Cold, distant, sad, melancholic are what most people associate with those words except what they find distant and sad, I find inviting and dreamy, ethereal etc. I could go on But yea, that is what I am looking for. I suppose what ever perfume brings up those words will do. It helps to tell me what you associate with those words so I know where the fragrance suggestions are coming from. You did just that so thanks. I shall look into Avignon

Thank you everyone for the amazing suggestions . You guys ooze awesomeness!!! Please do keep on posting if anything comes to mind.

Hey TeeTee, I am glad I came close to your request. I hope you'll stick around and smell many more perfumes and share your thoughts. The relationship between colors and perfumes is a very interesting idea. Me, I love Avignon, and I have a penchant for the mysterious, dark, I would even say gothic aestethics.
    However, if what you ar elooking for is actual perfumes, I would suggest another approach. It seems to me you are looking for certain feelings and vibes. There are two huge subjective judgements to be made: what feelings blue evokes, and then what perfume evokes those particular feelings. It would be easier if you would explain in terms of what the perfume should suggest. I believe.

Hey darkdreams, I know it sounds crazy but that is exactly what I want to smell like. I do understand that it is subjective but I am willing to take that chance. The feeling I am looking for is blue, night, moon lol! I guess I am new to all of this so my vague words may not be the most directing. I will take whatever scent conjures up those words into consideration lol

There was this one scent I smelled on this girl in high school. To me, that smelled like dark blue. Dreamy, mysterious, dark, magical, ethereal, cold, melancholic, peaceful, surreal, etc etc. Definitely not a commercial scent, that one is for sure! I just don't know which fragrance it was much less anything else. If I did, it would be in my hands lol! I fell in love with it and have been chasing blue, dark blue, moon, night ever since... oh well!

I'm with Darkdreams when it comes to the asociations blue gives me. I find dark rose scents kind of blue. One that immediately comes to mind is Czech and SPeake's # 88, but also Voleur de roses. Another scent that feels blue to be is L'heure bleue...and not just because of the name.Iris scents feels blue to me,I suppose.

I agree with the sugegstion for L'heure bleue. I have the EDT and it is not the best concentration. Try to find EDP or perfume.
    Dark roses, well, yes, they would probably suggest me "blue" in the sense described by Tee Tee, if I would not have an incredible hard time getting over the connection with red. If I have to name a color for dark rose perfumes I would say deep, dark purple. Which is a combination of red and blue so maybe it is just a compromise made by my mind. Black Aoud by Montale is another great one to try.
    Zagorsk by Comme des Garcons sort of smells like a very cold night with moon. But I am not completely sure this image was not put into my head by reading a review.