Code of Conduct

Default Lutens gateway drugs?

I'm sure this topic has been asked before, but I'm hoping for fresh answers.
    For those starting out with Lutens, which scents are suggested to start out with? Looking to see who agrees on the ones with the biggest hooks are to make us crave more from the house!
    xoxo
    Jen
    My Top 10*:
    1. Bois des Iles (Chanel)
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    4. Miss Dior - vintage (Dior)
    5. Jolie Madame (Balmain)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)
    9. L'Air du Desert Moracain (Tauer)
    10. Medici - Italian Splendor: Florence (DSH)
    *in no particular order because it's too hard!

Default Re: Lutens gateway drugs?

When Lutens was new too me I was craving sweet scents so Rahat Loukhoum was my introduction. But I think it was Chergui that actually reeled me into the line in a big way.
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

Gris Clair.... got me started. It was the first I really liked. Chergui never thrilled me, for some reason. I will have to revisit it.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Do you have access to the Paris Exclusifs too? Anyway, I´d recommend:

Feminité du Bois The one that started it all and that got several offspring inside the brand.
    Chergui for the gourmand aspect
    Iris Silver Mist for the coldness I get in some of his florals
    Rose de Nuit just so beautiful
    Gris Clair Typical Lutens twist on a common note (lavender)
    Santal de Mysore for spices (and sandal wood)
    Last edited by pelle; 12th December 2010 at 04:37 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Allllllllllllllllll
    Start out with Ambre Sultan. It's the least "serge lutens" and also one of the best.
    My personal ( current ) favorite is Borneo 1834

Blog Entries

Plus 1 for Ambre Sultan.

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedSanity View Post
    Allllllllllllllllll
    Start out with Ambre Sultan. It's the least "serge lutens" and also one of the best.
    My personal ( current ) favorite is Borneo 1834

I started with Fleurs d'Oranger. The day I first tested Lutens I had Fd'O on one hand and Daim Blond on the other. I can remember it like yesterday. I went shopping for books afterwards - my happiest trip to the massive Waterstones store, simply because I smelled so wonderful and different.
    I fell in love with Lutens, but today I wear neither of those; they hide in my cupboard at the back of the Lutens group.

I think it is time to bring them out again.

Oddly, my great love of Chergui didn't last. My bell jar sits unattended. Must go back to that one as well.

Borneo 1834 is a must. Try it. And you must have Ambre Sultan - the best amber bar none.
    Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.

I first received samples of Un Boise Vanille and Sa Majeste La Rose, and soon after got a sample of Fleurs de Citronnier. I now have bottles of all of these. I also bought a partial of Feminite Du Bois unsniffed, and that's a keeper, too. I am on a mission to try as many of this house as I can get my hands on, since they seem to go well with my chemistry.

Read the reviews and try those with notes you know you like, and go on from there. Let us know what you end up with, and what ypu think of them!
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Feminité du Bois was definitely my gateway drug, it's been with me for over ten years and I'm on my third or fourth bottle. My first Serge Lutens full bottle was Borneo 1834, although I'm not sure that one would qualify as a good gateway fragrance. Next full bottle purchase will most likely be Fumerie Turque, which might qualify - it strikes me as the perfect comfort scent - but I have yet to work my way through all the wax samples.

It's got to be Ambre Sultan, hasn't it?
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Thanks, you guys! After the holidays I'm placing a Lutens-heavy sample order. And yes, I think the first will be Ambre Sultan. I'm an amber lover, anyway, so I MUST try the quintessential amber!
    Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Top 10*:
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)

Plus 1 for Ambre Sultan

Almost all are really good. My first purchase was Muscs Kubilai Khan. My favorite (at the moment), La Myrrhe.

The only one I truly dislike is Bas de Soie.

cacio

Feminité du Bois was my introduction to the name, i could not finish the bottle though, and it was a beautiful bottle too, i gave it to my friend who has dark skin, and it fitted like a glove. So i could still smell it on a regular basis after all ! I dont know if fragrances react differently on white or dark skin, but this one did.
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Chergui

Reading about Chergui is what introduced me to the brand. So I sample this, and ordered other samples like Gris Clair and Encens et Lavande. I thought I'd love them, but I'd like them better on my bf so I didn't buy any full bottles.

But then I went and sniffed them all at the store, and the one that I ended up obsessing on was Fille en Aiguilles, so that's really is my gateway and first full purchase bottle. I asked for Fleurs d'Oranger for Christmas, so that might be bottle number 2.

My 3rd purchase will be Five O’Clock Au Gingembre or Rousse.

Chergui, hands down. That led to Un Bois Vanille and Feminite du Bois. I am still sampling some of the newer ones. They are all such a new take on an old trick.

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    Reading about Chergui is what introduced me to the brand. So I sample this, and ordered other samples like Gris Clair and Encens et Lavande. I thought I'd love them, but I'd like them better on my bf so I didn't buy any full bottles.

... and the one that I ended up obsessing on was Fille en Aiguilles, so that's really is my gateway and first full purchase bottle.
    I am impressed with your entry into SL.
    I feel Fille en Aiguilles is for the more indulged niche perfume fan and not for beginners. It is not your usual , sweety, ambery, citrusy commercial perfume that most mainstream brands release. This one is definitely a perfume you need to understand to like.

I have tried many from the SL line and nothing has worked for me, 5 o'clock is not bad but was not blown away. Will be trying mkk.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    5 o'clock is not bad but was not blown away. Will be trying mkk.
    thats the exact same conclusion my mother & I came to. 5' O clock au gimbembre is nice, really nice but not "Serge Lutens" nice. It would be a class 2 Serge Lutens for example, if you can bare to imagine such a thing. I would prefer securing other SLs before getting 5 ' o Clock and L'eau Serge. In fact I would get other Tom Fords before 5 ' o clock and L'eau Serge.

Reading about Arabie piqued my interest, and my first sniff was also Ambre Sultan. The first one I absolutely had to have, though, was Borneo 1834. The line is not full of scents I would actually wear (Borneo is the only one I own) but all are definitely fun to sniff.
    Let us know what all you end up ordering, Jen!

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedSanity View Post
    I am impressed with your entry into SL.
    I feel Fille en Aiguilles is for the more indulged niche perfume fan and not for beginners. It is not your usual , sweety, ambery, citrusy commercial perfume that most mainstream brands release. This one is definitely a perfume you need to understand to like.
    This will be embarrassing to admit, but I think I was already primed to like SL's FeA via a couple other fragrances. I have been using Lush's shampoo bar that smells like Karma for a couple years, and thats a sweet piney smell. And I had already been obsessing on AG's encens flamboyant. AG's fragrances were the only fragrance company I knew about -- I had been loyal since I got out of college. So I got AG's EF, which opened the gates to incense fragrances and resins, and I didn't know there was a whole world out there to learn about.

So oddly, that's the round about of how I got into SL. But from what I read, I thought I would have preferred Chene and the other ones I listed in the other post.

You definitely need to try Chene if you like resins. Dont try it for the woods even thought it is really a prime wood perfume but try it for the resin. I smelled wood sap (just the right amount) and immediately fell more in love with it the other day. My mother who has a good perfume nose also commented on how she recognized a unique note but could not quite put her finger on it till I excitedly blurted its tree sap right! To which she replied YES exactly!

You know, you are right. I'm going to re-visit Chene, I've only smelled it at the counter and I haven't sampled it. Besides that, I'm noticing how quickly my taste is evolving just in a few short months of sampling. I'm going to give it another try soon.

I used a Fille en aiguilles sample for perfume my christmas tree, smelled so good.

Ambre Sultan. Oh God, Ambre Sultan.

...it does things to me.

Should start with

- Gris Clair
    - Douce Amere
    - Fumerie Turque
    - Chergui

to appreciate the quality of Serge Lutens first.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I have 3 full bottles (Chergui, Fumerie Turque, and Un Bois Vanille), but, for me, it all started with Chergui. Fumerie Turque and UBV are hands-down my go-to comfort scents.

+1 for Feminite du Bois, Ambre Sultan, MKK, and Fleurs de Citronnier. I also have big love for Daim Blond, Boxeuses, and Sarrasins.

There are only a couple I've tried that I did not like at all -- Cedre, Borneo 1834 (far too dusty for me), Serge Noire (singed my nose hairs). I find I can wear nearly all of the others, though. There are a handful that I just die for.

Fille en Anguilles and Datura Noir are my next samples.

Hillaire

When I read the title of this thread, I thought is was about how the Lutens line is a 'gateway drug' to 'harder' niche... and I thought, "How true!"

My votes are for:

Chene
    Vetiver Oriental
    Chergui
    Cedre
    Ambre Sultan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    When I read the title of this thread, I thought is was about how the Lutens line is a 'gateway drug' to 'harder' niche... and I thought, "How true!"
    My gateway was elsewhere (back gate?) but I can believe this is true for many!
    My Top 10*:
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)

Do try Fille en Aiguilles. It's my new love, and I have never liked pine scents before. It's so different from anything else I usually enjoy! I wore it yesterday, and while it's definitely sweet, the pine (which lasted well into the afternoon) gives it a coolness that is very satisfying. I'm using up my decant and then I absolutely will buy a full bottle (in spite of my self-imposed austerity measures).
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.