Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fraghead v Sales rep

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    But you just wanted freebies...
    I went with the intention of actually obtaining a few samples in the hope of further purchasing them depending on whether I liked them or not. However I was particularly interested in Creed Aventus as it has obtained glowing reports and sounds like a great summer fragrance.
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Samples are intended for use at:

A. A fragrance launch, or
    B. When closing a sale. The idea of adding samples to your bag after a purchase is to promote other lines that may interest you, AND build that ever-important rapport with the customer. This is how good SA's build and maintain their return customer businesses. It, in part, is what makes the difference between a good SA and a bad SA.
    Couldn't agree more, that describes my experience perfectly. I wouldn't be comfortable walking in to a place out of the blue seeking samples. It's different with retailers where I'm an established customer that's invested $$$$.

I find most SA really do not know their product.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

I went to Neiman Marcus and was looking at Creed and Tom Ford. The SA had me check out MFK and I fell in love with her and the line. She gave me samples and knew I would be back....she was a pro
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

As a Basenoter, I well understand the desire to sample. Especially with the pricey stuff. Nothing worse than buying something you liked on the test card and then found it didn't last long or you don't like the dry down. Got suckered into a few of those.

I also well understand the concept of service and the genuine concern that anyone selling something as personal, complex and often quite pricey as a scent should be able to make a sample available. But I also well understand there are people out there cadging every sample they can get their hands on so they can go post them on eBay. Go take a look. You'll find neat little Creed, Malle, Tom Ford and other vials that you know didn't cost them a cent. Think the SAs don't run into their share of those? Reminds me of the kids at sports events (and old guys too) who grab autographs just so they can sell them. Sadly, these types make it rough for those of us who are batshyt crazy for juice and who WILL be back to buy. Often a lot.

I'm generally pretty lucky with sampling. But at this point I'm a well known entity at the Los Angeles frag joints I haunt. They know I buy a lot of stuff and they know I know a lot of stuff. There's one rookie SA that makes me feel like some sort of rock star of scent.

Personally, I'd be fine if these companies would sell their samples at retail locations for a couple of bucks or so. Gift them to people with a purchase. But if they had a policy that allowed them to sell samples for a couple of bucks (like Lucky Scent) it would simplify much of the back and forth battles with SAs that often get reported here and in other forums I see.

One Basenoter I've hung with out here has a technique. She goes prepared with her own little empty vials. While the SAs may safeguard the official pre-packaged samples, they generally don't object if she decants 1ml or so from a tester. (Plus, not all companies provide pre-packed samples.)

Mervin, sorry you had a bad experience. In time, that store will get to know you likely. I also find if you engage them and chat them up a bit, show a little of your knowledge, discuss your scent collection, their perception of you starts to shift from someone cadging samples to a knowledgable potential sale - whatever your appearance. I've never worked as a fragrance SA, but if the first thing someone asked me was if I had samples, my guard would go up.

I realize this is a quantum leap of difference in price, but walk into an Aston Martin dealer after school, grab a salesman and introduce yourself by saying you want to test drive the DB9. Watch how they handle that.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 29th January 2011 at 04:50 AM.

The somewhat funny and ironic thing is that many of those in this thread who are calling it bad or horrible service have no problem writing off a designer frag without smelling it, and yet in principle that is all this lady was doing. Deduction based on prior statistics and assumptions instead of actual interaction. Many of those whom say she probably would have treated you better if you were in a suit and tie also probably treat niche fragrances differently, at least subconciously, even if their conscious mind denies doing so - especially those from an esteemed house or which cost a lot.

Of course I know a frag's feelings can be hurt, etc. etc., but the underlying principle is still the same and I think it foolish to assume that being ok with superficial judgment in one area of life isn't going to manifest as more superficial judgment in general.

I say this only because I think we all should look in the mirror more often than we do, myself included. Something to think about, at least; and if you find the idea ridiculous or repugnant ask yourself why?

*Also, I've seen a few BNers post stories where they more or less humiliate the SA and this is usually rewarded behavior or at least implicitly condoned by not being called out. (Thank you to gilgamesh for calling out Ekove's example, above). Again, something to think about.

**I'm not saying that Mervin is to blame or anything like that. Just making some random observations at 2am while being a bit sleep deprived. Thanks for the thread which has inspired some good chat, Mervin.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I don't walk into stores just to get random freebies but I often do enter them with the goal to only test something I am curious about on skin. That means, I usually walk out without buying anything and may or may not return at a later point (I sometimes do buy). If a SA gave me directly or indirectly the feeling of being a parasite, I'm likely to never enter that store again. Nowadays, I do the majority of my sampling via the sample services of online stores. It means that I have to pay something between 3€ and 6€ per vial but these are acually 2-3ml decants and come with sprayers. Another huge plus is that they have most niche lines available, unlike all the brick and mortar-stores near me.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 29th January 2011 at 07:20 AM.

Provided you're not travelling vast distances to visit your store, the tester bottle is sufficient to spritz from in order to get a feeling for a scent. They're there to be used, so samples are ultimately not required.
    Go in scentless, spritz a different scent on each arm, and there you go. Return another day, spritz, repeat...

Yeah but that only works in department stores, the perfumeries, even the chains like Douglas expect you to consult SAs if you want to test something.

In my country nobody will give you free samples, EVER. You will get them if you buy full bottle of something but never before. If you want to test something there are tester bottles for that.

Good for you that you got them, but its nothing I'd be pissed about.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Millesime Imperial
    3. Lalique Encre Noire

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    Currently wearing: Fracas by Robert Piguet

In my country nobody will give you free samples, EVER. You will get them if you buy full bottle of something but never before. If you want to test something there are tester bottles for that.
    Same case as in my country, where designer fragrances are overpriced by as much as 2x their USD value and considered as luxuries. I'm a college student, and whenever I try to test some fragrances, SAs don't display much enthusiasm as compared to that guy in the business suit, knowing there's a slim chance I'm going to shell out cash.