Code of Conduct

Default Montale Sliver Aoud...Overlooked/Underrated?

I haven't sampled greatly from Montale's considerable offerings, but I have worn Sliver Aoud for a while now, and quite like it. It appears to me, to be sadly overlooked. I bring this up now, because I've just sampled two of his most revered (around here, anyway) frags, and here's what I get:

Black Aoud: If you like rose and aoud...but mainly rose...you'll like this! I don't, so it doesn't work for me. I'll try it again at some point, but I just don't care for rose, and doubt that will change. Reeks of quality, but not for me.

Red Aoud: To me, this is the converse of most frags: I loved the initial blast, but it quickly turned into a vanilla/cocoa/wooden mess. I can get along with gourmands, but this is just confounding. The longer I wear it, the less I like it. I'll at least hold onto it for a second try.

So this gets me back to my old Sliver Aoud. It has received almost no attention, and what it did receive was pretty neutral. I expected to be blown away by its two popular siblings, and to learn what the house of Montale is really about. What I found, though, is that Sliver Aoud is both more compelling and more wearable than Red and Black.

It begins with a hit of lime and herbs, and gradually dries down to a warm, woody incense base. It's sillage isn't as radical as Black Aoud, but it's still good, and it lasts a long time. This is one that will simmer on you all day when applied to the chest/stomach.

So there's my scotch-fueled observations for this Friday evening. Anyone else a fan of Montale's redheaded stepchild, the obviously misspelled Sliver Aoud?

Default Re: Montale Sliver Aoud...Overlooked/Underrated?

I have this and love how the cedar and vetiver notes mix with the tonka. The aoud isn't as prominent as in some of there other offerings.

Thanks, next one on the evergrowing sample list.

@Hednic. How strong and how characteristic is the vetiver, please? I dont really like the dry, dusty kind. I E Guerlains, no thanks. VE, okay. Infusion d'Vetiver, yes please. Is it up my alley?
    Smellin good

Not bad smelling at all, but it has to my nose such a synthetic vibe, that I wouldn't buy it.

So I got around to sampling the rest of my Montale samples:

White Aoud: Simply a cleaned-up black aoud. Still primarily a rose floral with oud, but with a sweeter, vanilla based drydown. Oddly, I catch more rose in the sillage than up close. Not something I'd wear.

Red Vetyver: This is in the vein of Terre de Hermes...herbs, vetiver, and Iso E Super. Very nice, but it's been done. I own Bang, which fills the same niche, but with pepper in place of the greener, herbal notes.

Wild Aoud: Now we're getting somewhere! This is what I've been looking for...an aoud that can be worn for almost every occasion. Wears like a moderately fresh fougere, with an aoud base. I'll be buying a bottle of this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    So I got around to sampling the rest of my Montale samples:

Wild Aoud: Now we're getting somewhere! This is what I've been looking for...an aoud that can be worn for almost every occasion. Wears like a moderately fresh fougere, with an aoud base. I'll be buying a bottle of this soon.

Wore this as my SotE last night for my blues gig, and been watching a recording of the Aussie open this morning so I haven't showered yet and my t-shirt still smells like I just applied it. Not only a great scent but longevity is A+++.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus