Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Modern and sophisticated vetiver fragrances - which is the best?

I had never liked traditional harsh and straightforward vetiver-fragrances (Encre Noire, Vetiver Extraordinaire) due to their dull and monotonous vibe (vetiver is too dominant there). I couldn't understand what the hype was all about...

...Until I got my hands on some modern take on vetiver fragrances:
    - Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford (2009)
    - Sycomore by Chanel (2008)
    - Vetiver by Dior (2010)

The last two were tested by me yesterday.

What I liked about all 3 is that they are:
    - quite sophisticated and elegant,
    - pleasant not only to vetiver fans but to those who are at least indifferent to vetiver note ("for those who don't like vetiver")
    - fresh, safe and clean.

Which of the three above mentioned modern vetiver frags do you like best of all and why?
    How could you evaluate their longevity and projection?
    Or may be you have other favorite modern vetiver frags which fit the above criteria...

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Modern and sophisticated vetiver fragrances - which is the best?

Sycomore is my favourite, but the size of the bottle puts me off. Grey Vetiver is gorgeous too.

Longevity and projection is slightly above average with both for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't found the right vet. yet, but I would not recommend the Guerlain that's so popular around here.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive smelled Grey Vetiver but not the other two you listed here. If youre looking for a good modern vetiver thats not to heavy, check out Creed OV. Fits exactly what youre looking for

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    Sycomore!
    Could you possibly eleborate a little more?

Post Thanks / Like

Maby not ultra-sophisticated, but Creed Original Vetiver is modern, fresh, and perfect for most occasions.

Terre d' hermes,
    Unique!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Vetiver is not my favorite not either, but I do want to try Grey Vetiver and Sycamore.

Of those that I have tried, TDC's Sel de Vetiver is my favorite.

Post Thanks / Like

Grey Vetiver of those.

However, you really need to try Prada's Infusion de Vetiver.

Mazzolari Vetiver is quite extraordinary: florals, vetiver and sandalwood. This is a serious, gentleman type fragrance, I can't imaging someone under 35 pulling this one off. That said, it has amazing lasting power, great projection and is very well blended. So much so, that I have a hard time understanding why it's a just called Vetiver.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    Sycomore is my favourite, but the size of the bottle puts me off. Grey Vetiver is gorgeous too.

Longevity and projection is slightly above average with both for me.
    I believe the smaller 2.5 oz bottle is already on the shelves. That might actually tempt me into a purchase.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely Sycomore. It's smoky, nutty, slightly floral character is equally alluring as it is masculine. It lasts quite a long time and while it doesn't project that much, I never cared about this, as I wear my fragrances for my own enjoyment and when I wear this one I can definitely smell it on myself.

I find the Tom Ford and Dior a bit boring.

Have you tried Vetiver Dance by Tauer? That one's definitely modern, that's for sure.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th January 2011 at 10:02 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I'd recommend Vetiver Tonka if you can find a sample. Sometimes they are available on ebay for an affordable price. Grey Vetiver is a really well done citrus vetiver. Creed Original Vetiver is more soapy than Grey Vetiver and less earthy smelling.

Post Thanks / Like

Grey vetiver and Sycomore are my two favourites, and I find myself layering them too. They are very different takes on vetiver and both very nice. The Sycomore is darker, smoother, richer, more earthy - but not like Encre Noir - much classier. The TF Grey Vetiver is sharp, fresh, sparkly - close to the Guerlain, but not as soapy. (Encre Noir and Guerlain are fantastic too). I don't know if this is actually the case, but the Sycomore is like the roots, and TF is like the leaves. Hermes Vetiver tonka is great too - a hazelnutty almost (but not quite) gourmand? I finally forked out for the 200ml bottle of Sycomore, and it is now my signature scent. Not only is it the most beautiful vetiver, but not many other people wear it

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and Asteroid, I procured either samples or bottles of every vetiver I could find - finally ending up with Sycomore and TF Grey vetiver as my faves! - closely followed by vetiver tonka and Guerlain vetiver. So imho you have got to the holy grail real quick
    I can't believe I missed the Dior though - how remiss!

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Vetiver Tonka and Encre Noire. Vetiver Tonka, although very simple is really quite an epic fragrance. You've basically got a gourmand built around the vetiver note, and it smells excellent. Big props to JCE for pulling that one off; though it may not fall under "sophisticated".

Modern and sophisticated top 3 imo: Sycomore, Encre Noire, Grey Vetiver.

I have a hard time thinking of Sycomore as a vetiver based scent. I think it's more cypress used to imitate vetiver. Grey Vetiver seems like a better everyday vetiver scent, but it's not as interesting as the others. Can I also suggest Original Vetiver by Creed? I found it to be the vetiver scent for people who normally dislike vetiver.

Post Thanks / Like

For me it's Vetiver by Dior. I just love the coffee vetiver duo. Modern, clean and sophisticated.

I will pick Chanel Vetiver because it is pure, simple, and straight vetiver. Sycomore on my skin is super strong, with amazing sillage. A very good vetiver scent for a man.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't smelled the Dior yet. Among the others, I prefer Sycomore by far. As mikeperez was saying, I find Grey Vetiver somewhat grey too, and subdued in the vetiver (I do like the note). Sycomore instead is a wonderful breath of freshness and greenness, as you said made complex and interesting by just the right amount of smoky wood. This makes it the perfect thing both when you want something fresh and when you want something elegant. And the longevity is great too. Definitely worth the 200ml bottle.

In addition to the many suggestions, another vetiver I would try is Breath of God, found in the Lush stores (are there any in Russia?). It's definitely supermodern, though not really elegant. It's a weird vetiver based on the juxtaposition of a "burnt plastic" note together with a fresh artificial japanese candy flavor. It seems crazy, but it works suprisingly well.

cacio

Tough one. I'll go with Sycomore with Dior Vetiver right behind.

Grey vetiver is very modern, have not tried sycamore.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the sophisticated feel from Sycomore and Vetiver Tonka.

I love Guerlain vetiver as well.

Check out Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens

Post Thanks / Like

I like Grey Vetiver and Original Vetiver

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain, Vetiver pour Elle. Don't let "pour elle" deter you at all. There is absolutely nothing about it that is feminine.

Post Thanks / Like

Lanvin Vetiver- a relatively recent frag (released in 2006), affordable too, while still complex, stylish and discreet

For a modern, safe, clean vetiver I like Lanvin Vetyver. Reasonably priced, pleasant, light . . . gets mixed reviews here on BN. Might be worth a try . . . good luck . . . Wally

I used to really dislike vetiver as a perfumery note, found it to be too green and screechy when I first smelled it on others in the late '80s. The recent smoky vetivers (Encre Noir and his wealthy cousin Sycomore) have completely changed my thoughts on this, and I own both (Sycomore in the new 75ml bottle). They are rich and nuanced (especially Sycomore), and I get a lot of enjoyment out of both. They are my go-to work scents (great with a black turtleneck!).
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Post Thanks / Like

Vetiver Tonka
    Terre d'Hermes

Post Thanks / Like

Sophisticated and Modern

Sexy and Modern

Casual and Modern
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

monotheme vetiver bourbon for something affordable and elegant in it's simplicity.

i liked the guerlain in habit rouge bottle more than tom ford's. the memory kinda grew on me. then all i could find were frosted ones.

+1 on sycomore

Post Thanks / Like

Creed OV as base for Ecre Noire

omgwtfbbq

Post Thanks / Like

I have really been enjoying Givenchy Vetyver a lot. Smoky and sophistocated.

Post Thanks / Like

You like the vetivers with citrus , like Vetiver by Dior and Grey Vetiver.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to come in here and recommend the new Dior. It looks like you've already found it. I really like that stuff. How much do they go for anyway?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

if you want vetiver with citrus then try the MPG Racine - smooth citrus and strong vetiver note.
    (PM me if you want a sample)
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

How much do they go for anyway?
    would like to know as well... are they of sycomore big bucks or closer to the tom ford?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the price of Sycomore 75 ml is similar in my town to that of Tom Ford Private Blends.
    So, it really costs a fortune but I hope that Sycomore is worth every penny (or, in my case, ruble)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Modern and sophisticated vetiver fragrances - which is the best?

Encre Noire
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver
    Annick Goutal Vetiver
    Santa Maria Novella Vetiver
    M.P. et Gantier Route du Vetiver
    Mazzolari Vetiver
    Lubin Le Vetiver
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

These sophisticated vetiver scents should be tried - they are all very worthy:

Annick Goutal Vetiver - iodine and leather surrounding vetiver.
    Sel d' Vetiver - sea salted air & sunshine in vetiver.
    Villoresi Vetiver - roots and dirt vetiver.
    Encre Noir - dark, ink, dry vetiver
    Voyage d' Hermes - oceanic wood and spice vetiver blend
    Sycomore - vetiver beneath dark shadows and close to the earth

Well, the price of Sycomore 75 ml is similar in my town to that of Tom Ford Private Blends.
    i thought grey vetiver wasn't a private blend? i dunno i'm not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

No it isn't but Sycomore is very expensive, comparable to the Private Blends.

Post Thanks / Like

+ 1 for Lubin Vetyver, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and I'll add my absolute fave:

Commes des Garcon Vettiveru. Just Brilliant for the warmer weather, and a very natural smooth vetiver. No swampy accords to be found here.

Post Thanks / Like

LUBIN. +3 For Lubin.

MUST try the Lubin.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver ain't so bad either. If I had a meeting with Donald Trump and had to put on my power suit and power tie, I'd throw on Grey Vetiver and walk into that meeting and kick some ass.

The Lubin is a bit more complex and versatile IMO though.

Post Thanks / Like

Complex, citrus, vetiver go here----> Escentric 03 by Escentric Molecules
    Amazing mexican lime, cedar, leather blast. Then drys down to a classic vetiver, with sandalwood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by losism View Post
    Complex, citrus, vetiver go here----> Escentric 03 by Escentric Molecules
    Amazing mexican lime, cedar, leather blast. Then drys down to a classic vetiver, with sandalwood.
    I've brought cans of "OFF" bug spray on camping trips that smell better than Escentric 03. Or perhaps Escentric 03 is better at repelling mosquitos because it smells worse than "OFF". I'll have to give that a try next time I go camping....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fsface View Post
    LUBIN. +3 For Lubin.

MUST try the Lubin.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver ain't so bad either. If I had a meeting with Donald Trump and had to put on my power suit and power tie, I'd throw on Grey Vetiver and walk into that meeting and kick some ass.

The Lubin is a bit more complex and versatile IMO though.
    So, you find GV by Tom Ford too formal, right? I've never heard about Lubin Vetiver before (a very strange name), I will check it out. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Lubin is a perfume house (supposedly very old). In a different style, their Idole is also purchase-worthy. (Strking bottles for both too).

caco

You should try DC's Sel de Vetiver, amazing vetiver fragrance for summer!

Post Thanks / Like

Ford's Grey Vetiver isn't part of his private line, it's the mainline.

i believe Sycomore's 75ml bottle is only about $110-120, whereas Ford's private line 50ml bottles are more like $200+... so i don't think they're that comparable. There are often Sycomore 200ml bottle splits, both becuase it used to be the only way you could buy it but also just to offset the cost.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Ford's Grey Vetiver isn't part of his private line, it's the mainline.

i believe Sycomore's 75ml bottle is only about $110-120, whereas Ford's private line 50ml bottles are more like $200+... so i don't think they're that comparable. There are often Sycomore 200ml bottle splits, both becuase it used to be the only way you could buy it but also just to offset the cost.
    Well, I think it depends. In Russia Sycomore's 75ml bottles have just appeared and their price is much higher than what you've indicated.

Lubin Vetiver, if you want a classier Encre Noire
    Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe
    Montale Vetiver des Sables and Red Vetiver
    ELdO Fat Electrician
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

i'll throw in a vote for adolfo dominguez vetiver hombre.

For me, Sycomore ! It's pure sophisticated class. But really wish it lasted longer and was a bit louder on my skin. Never mind just need to re-apply during the day, can't get enough of this right now

I also like vetiver tonka for its sweetness,
    Grey vetiver is a nice fragrance, didn't test it on skin but seems like a nice smelling scent for work/casual days.

I need to try the Dior's and Mona Di Orio's.. How are these two's compared to Sycomore?

Post Thanks / Like

Red Vetyver by Montale
    Original Vetiver by Creed
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

I have found a very good vetiver, not expensive but I do not know how easy to find it is: La Martina Bayres Hombre.
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

Post Thanks / Like

Try Vetiver 46 by Le Labo, I heard that one's good.

Post Thanks / Like

Vetiver by Malizia - way too smoky for me but some people love it
    Habanita by Molinard - a very strange vanilla/ vetiver combo