Code of Conduct

Default Do you get (buy) samples of things you could never afford to buy a bottle of?

Do you sample things you would never buy? I was browsing Luckyscent and saw some $700 bottles of perfume, a set of the samples was $35 for 6 (one little tube of each) which works out to $6 each, so samples priced high but not unimaginably so.

But - No way would or could I ever even consider spending $700 on one bottle of anything. Ever. I'd even be mad if someone bought it for me, that just seems too high. I think my perfume budget is loosely based on what I'd pay for a good pair of shoes; I'd spend $300 or a little more every once in a great while, years between those purchases, usually try to stay under $150, feel it's a bargain if I ever find great shoes on clearance for $35. And stay under 12 pair total owned at any one time.

I'm not implying anyone else's budget should have the same guidelines, at all, just asking:

Assuming you think it's a perfume you'd like the smell of, do you think it's nicer to have just the little bit to try, and know you will never get a bottle under any circumstances? Or do you prefer not to try those?

Default Re: Do you get (buy) samples of things you could never afford to buy a bottle of?

Yes. A sample lasts me quite a while. The Guerlain boutique fragrances I cannot really get hold of. Guerlain's shipping to the UK is outrageous and I refuse to pay. So I have bought 5mls and 7mls samples from ebay.

I miss the sale of decants from ebay.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you get (buy) samples of things you could never afford to buy a bottle of?

Without a doubt, that is the way to go. I buy samples all the time. The Perfumed Court or the Posh Peasant sell decants and you'd be surprised how long 5ml or 10ml will last.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My criteria are different from yours and I don't pattern my perfume spending on any other part of my budget. I spend much less on clothing and accessories than most women; I cut my own hair (and my husband's and daughter's as well), get my books and movies from the library, cook most of our food from scratch, drive my car until it wears out, etc. Perfume, however, I will splurge on.

Having bought many mediocre fragrances in the past (which then just sit there unused or underused, which is surely a poor way to practice economy) I only have one criterion now for buying perfume: I have to love it.

It can be super cheap or very costly-- I'm not a snob-- but I have to love it! I have dozens of partially used bottles of fragrances I "like"; I would now rather buy fewer bottles, but use them! One must also consider the per-wearing cost, not just the purchase price; some expensive perfumes go a loooong way and are not as uneconomical as they may seem. Amouage Gold goes a very long way for me, for example.

I do not have a dollar amount limit per bottle, provided of course that I can afford it. In practice, I haven't spent more than $265 on one bottle (for myself, that is-- we spent more on the huge flacon I bought recently but it was not all for me), but I could see spending more for a truly exceptional scent. Because the only way to discover whether I love a perfume is to sample it, I would absolutely buy the sample. Maybe even a decant, before the full bottle.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 1st February 2011 at 07:26 PM.

For me, it's very nice to have the little bit to try. I buy samples of fragrances that are unavailable here, whether I can afford the full bottles or not -- and many I can't. A sample is enough to satisfy my curiosity. If I fall in love with a fragrance that I can't afford, well too bad! There are plenty of others to love that I can afford. As Kumquat says, a 5 ml or 10 ml decant lasts a long time - longer than my interest usually. Even if I had money to burn, I'd still want to sample first. Even if I had money to burn, I should say, rather, that there are things I would not pay obscene amounts of money for. It would go against my principles. But I'm not from that planet, so how can I say what I would do if I were a different person? Anyway, $700 would be too much money. But if it were a HUGE bottle of fragrance that made it cost less per ml, and I could share the bottle and cost with some other fragrance friends, then it would make sense. Depends on the situation at hand. If it were for a bottle of fragrance made by a company that sells products for enormous amounts of money to people who buy them just because they can, then I think I would decline.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Perfume, however, I will splurge on.

Having bought many mediocre fragrances in the past (which then just sit there unused or underused, which is surely a poor way to practice economy) I only have one criterion now for buying perfume: I have to love it.

Because the only way to discover whether I love a perfume is to sample it, I would absolutely buy the sample. Maybe even a decant, before the full bottle.
    I am getting more like this everyday. I would rather have 3 or 4 great bottles than 30 "like" bottles.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

I have my limits, but i try to get it free wherever I can like at a store. I was at Bergdorf and smelled the JAR frags. now even if i had millions I'd never spend that much on frags, but I was curious to smell them and if I couldn't smell them in store but thought they would interest me then I'd be ok to buy moderately priced samples...

The only time i ever do what you're talking about is if I believe that there will be some merit to having smelled that frag or owning a sample. It's usually a reason like -
    1. well it's a classic X type and I NEED to own it as a collector (not a good enough reason for me),
    2. or it's an excellent example of X (reference library person, one reason why I might),
    3. or it's artistically fascinating so it must be smelled (sometimes a good enough reason for me).
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

In my opinion, buying samples is just the perfect way to explore scent. (not that in reality I haven't blind-bought FBs, but I did so after reading as many reviews and opinions about that scent as possible.) I too find a reasonably small decant goes a long way. Splitting with like-minded friends is another reasonable way to get those more costly perfumes, I have done that as well. The opportunity to smell as many perfumes as possible is made so much easier by the sample/decant/split strategy.

I do agree with Lilybelle that those perfumes that are to my budget amazingly costly (and after a particular price point, say that $250-$300 range for a FB for me), the cost seems just arbitrary and meant to set the scent in the luxury market... those I too will pass on. I will make the occasional exception for a particularly intriguing vintage scent, particularly if it's one that is no longer in production or has been reformulated in a version that is less lovely than it once was.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Yes. Pretty much in agreement with 30Roses here: does not really matter how much a fragrance costs, I have to love it and wear it often. Samples and decants are the only way to go, we can cut corners somewhere else.

I do the equivalent of putting my hands over my ears and going 'la la la not listening' when confronted with stuff well out of my pricerange. I hadn't considered decants though
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

I won't go out of my way to buy samples usually. But if I happened to sniff it in store and liked it, I may well consider paying for a decant. I have too many scents to need a whole bottle that costs that much.

Absolutely. Besides, if you just have to have it, you can forgo some less expensive purchases and save up. Maybe I can't afford it today, but if I put away a dollar a year? But even if I'll never get it, yes, sample!
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

It depends on alot of different factors, I guess. If I'm intrigued enough by the note listing, or have liked several other scents in the line then I might spring for a sample. Everyone has their own ideas about whether a scent is "worth" a certain price, and I personally feel a bit cynical and pinched at anything above say, $150. So, if I'm interested but the price irritates me I have a method that has worked well: I do not sample the scent or even really pay much attention until the hype has died down. Then, I tend to pay more attention to what is being said/written about a certain fragrance and only then do I sample it. I've saved alot by doing that. Scents always seem better when there is a blog and forum buzz around them. Later, it will be only the occasional niche bottle that I feel I really love and must have.

I'll try just about anything regardless of the FB price. I currently have 2 samples of Xerjoff Irisss, which I love. But I'm not sure I'd buy the FB even if I had the extra money to do so. But i'd definitely buy the refill if I could get my hands on one.

Thank you for all the replies!

Hadn't thought of decants, that makes sense. I do buy samples of things that I am pretty sure I'd not want as a "staple", just to have more variety available.

30 Roses, not so far off as you might think! Similar lifestyle, regarding library, food, clothing, haircuts, car, but yes I have the 'shoe standard' when it comes to perfumes as those are my luxury items.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Robin-in-FL, my daughter inherited my mother's love for nice shoes and handbags, but it skipped my generation! (Luckily for my wallet, ha! )

I prefer sampling to eliminate buying fragrances recommended to me that I may not necessarily like once tested. I think it smarter to spend the $3 to $15 on samples then to blind buy a $150 fragrance.
    - Expect the unexpected