Code of Conduct

Default How much leather in Habit Rouge?

Compared to, say, Cuir Mauresque. Thanks a lot!

Default Re: How much leather in Habit Rouge?

barely there. Vanilla overpowers it. there's only a tiny hint of it at the basenotes

I can barely detect any. Habit Rouge is a supremely well-made and delightful fragrance, you won't be sorry if you get it.

I have and like a lot of leather scents. I don't really think of Habit Rouge as a "leather" scent. The Beau Cavalier EdP version may be my favorite scent right, but it's just a very well blended scent with leather as one aspect of it. The leather is not very prominent. Have not tried Cuir Mauresque, but it's bound to be more leathery than HR.

I also have Derby by Guerlain. Leather a bit stronger in Derby perhaps, but still more a triumph of blending than it is a leather scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh2003 View Post
    I can barely detect any. Habit Rouge is a supremely well-made and delightful fragrance, you won't be sorry if you get it.
    What kind of scent is Habit Rouge?
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Blog Entries

Smile Re: How much leather in Habit Rouge?

The Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier is beautiful and I prefer it to the EDT. Leather? No. Gorgeous? Yes! To me an oriental of epic proportions. Class on steroids.

I don't think of leather when I think of Habit Rouge.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    An oriental.

I agree with StylinLA, I don't think of Habit Rouge as a 'leather' scent. It has a tiny whiff of it...it's supposed to evoke riding on a horse (and it does this). But it's more of a citrus/vanilla oriental scent.

Do yourself a favor and sample vintage Eau de Cologne, which IMO is the best of all of the wonderful formulations (EdC, EdT, EdP, parfum, Light, Sport, Dry).
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

You're hanging around in here a lot digger- you'll have to sample it at some point. As mikeperez said, it's basically an oriental. Maybe the first oriental for men? Someone may weigh in. It was I believe designed as the male counter part to Guerlain's Shalimar.

You can read all about the citrus, vanilla and leather notes, but you must experience it. I suppose the vanilla is fairly prominent, but when I used to read that, it conjured up a much different idea in my head than the experience of actually wearing of it. I don't know if that makes sense. But when I read "leather" - I think of TF Tuscan Leather, Knize 10, Royal English Leather, etc. When I read vanilla, I think of some of the very vanilla dominant scents. It's nothing like any of those. All the notes working in harmony really. A triumph of blending.

I'm kind of down on the EdT version personally, and haven't the tried the EdC. The EdP is heaven in a bottle to me. It's perhaps a bit on the mature side. Doesn't strike me as a scent many young guys would like. It's sort of timeless to me, but it may strike some here as "old-ish." But anyone hanging around in here for awhile has to try it. And it may just be my experience, but these well blended Guerlains take 2-3 wearings to really grasp them. Pain in the azz, but worth it.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 1st February 2011 at 04:36 AM.

like shalimar, but rougher on the edges. You get the lemon/bergamot top, the vanilla and slightly floral heart and the edgy smattering of labadum and woods.

The one thing about Habit Rouge that is rarely mentioned is the dry green Orris note in the background which counteracts what would otherwise be an over the top sweetness. This could, I suppose, be called a leather note. Whatever, the original is one of the greatest fragrances ever.

As Stylin pointed out, it takes several wearing to deconstruct the older Guerlains. If you wear HR enough you'll be able to pinpoint a leather note, but it's very well blended. I think it stands out most in the edt.

Cuir Mauresque (which I also like) is much more of a "leather" scent than HR.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Having finished a vintage Habit Rouge EDC bottle, I never found much leather in it if at all. There is a big dose of vanilla and some sweet mandarin/orange top which isn't the clearest of citrus notes, but compared to Cuir Mauresques Iso-E-Butyl 'leather' note its nothing...
    -

It seems to me that Habit Rouge only gives the illusion of leather, the softness of leather is there because the base is very soft and sueded in feel. The EDP and Beau Cavalier versions in particular with the addition of a tiny bit of oud which always adds a slight tinge of finished leather from its salty balsamic aroma and coupled with the vanilla base gives Habit Rouge the softness and warmth of leather in its vanilla base. But, I don't think Habit Rouge is really a leather scent at all.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    And it may just be my experience, but these well blended Guerlains take 2-3 wearings to really grasp them. Pain in the azz, but worth it.
    This is certainly true of Guerlains Vetiver.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel