Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1

    Default Thoughts on B*Men?

    Its so cheap, ~35-40 bucks

    Can you compare it to A*Men?

    Might pull the trigger since its got great longevity, its a bit sweet and its cheap

  2. #2

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    i think the drydown is absolutely heavenly. the top is pretty bad tho

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East of The Mississippi
    Posts
    76,806

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    I can't compare it to A*Men but a nice scent in its own right.

  4. #4
    PuddleMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Posts
    2,487

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    Thierry should be locked up for such atrocities

    ╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

  5. #5

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    man i actually really miss B*Men. I didnt appreciate it too much when I had it because it was the begining on me getting into fragrances, but i think id really enjoy it now

  6. #6

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    Think of it as A*men without the chocolate and tar notes.
    The only scent B*men has ever reminded me of is A*men.
    I think it's a lot more wearable on different occasions than A*men is.
    I bought several 50ml bottles for $15 each.
    Regards,
    Renato

  7. #7
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    It seems B*Men is much maligned around here. It's a fairly good masculine scent and a nice addition to someone's winter wardrobe. It's earthy and woody with spices that aren't exactly subtle, so a judicious hand is needed when applying it.

    Folks that don't like patchouli and vetiver will not like B*Men.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    It took me a while to appreciate it, but I actually quite like B*Men now. The drydown is the best part, imo. Reminds me of brown sugar. Good for fall and winter.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    I think B*Men is an amazing scent, and is highly underrated. It does smell a lot like A*Men, only less sweet, with no chocolate, and more transparent. I wish Mugler never discontinued B*Men.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

    Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    I personally think the only connection between A*Men and B*Men is a sweetened Patchouli accord. But even then, there is a clear difference between the sweet notes used. In A*Men, it is a Caramel Candy note, which is where most of A*Mens tooth rotting, diabetic shock sweetness comes from. This along with the Mint, Coffee and Chocolate firmly peg A*Men as a gourmand. None of these exist in B*Men. If Caramel Candy is 'cooked sugar', then the sweetener in B*Men is most definitely 'burnt sugar', overcooked and blackened. This is why B*Men is nowhere near as sweet as his brother. This burnt sugar and Patchouli accord is there from top to bottom and becomes more dominant as time goes on, which might be why people consider it linear. These two also produce a tar note, not the same as the tar in A*Men, a bit more rubbery.

    I cant make out the Rhubarb in this one, there is a sour fruit note there in the opening, but doesn't register as Rhubarb. It is paired up with Licorice Root. I have spotted the 'Peanut' accord that people mention once or twice, but I dont always get it.

    In the heart, in comes the redwood and the spicerack. The combo of wood and burnt smells doesn't come across as smokey though. My experience is that if you are not judicious with the spritzer, the redwood note becomes very musky. This does mean I'm never quite sure what experience I'm going to get that day. Be warned, B*Men is highly potent - my 100ml bottle will probably last a decade, and in its own way it isn't any more polite than A*Men.

    Then in the base, the burnt sugar and Patchouli prevails. I've not picked up the Vetiver at this stage, I am assuming I'm combining the earthiness of the Patch and the Vetiver into one smell.

    I wouldn't call it an Oriental, there aren't really any resinous or vanilla notes. Its a semi-sweet Woody Spicy to me.
    Last edited by andym72; 1st February 2011 at 01:34 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    very good and extremely underrated scent , B*men is what A*men should have been.
    my current top five (always in transition)

    Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garons man 2

  12. #12

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    As others have said B*Men has a wonderful drydown. The opening is a bit challenging, but the fragrance hardly deserves its bad reputation. I agree completely with Renato - B*Men is much more versatile than A*Men (not that A*Men is hard to wear).

  13. #13

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    I find the scent addictive. I can smell the A-Men finger print in there.
    I agree the dry down is fantastic

  14. #14

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    B*Men is one of those fragrances that are not very appropriate to "smell on your wrist", imo. Meaning, I don't find it so good when I smell it too close, but I find the overall smell around me awesome.
    I prefer B*Men over A*men, I think the earthy side of the "B" one suits me better.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    To my nose it is absolutely disgusting. Not sure what the people who find this fragrance nice are smelling but it can't be the same B*Men I tried!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    I like them both, but I'm not sure I can wear either of them outside the house.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    I really really wanted to like B*Men, as I adore A*Men. But it comes off as overly spicy on my skin and I can detect a hint of BO mixed in there which really turns me off. I hated the thought of getting out of the shower fresh and clean and then spraying armpit BO on myself. Needless to say, I never purchased this one. It's a shame really, because I liked the concept behind this.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I personally think the only connection between A*Men and B*Men is a sweetened Patchouli accord. But even then, there is a clear difference between the sweet notes used. In A*Men, it is a Caramel Candy note, which is where most of A*Mens tooth rotting, diabetic shock sweetness comes from. This along with the Mint, Coffee and Chocolate firmly peg A*Men as a gourmand. None of these exist in B*Men. If Caramel Candy is 'cooked sugar', then the sweetener in B*Men is most definitely 'burnt sugar', overcooked and blackened. This is why B*Men is nowhere near as sweet as his brother. This burnt sugar and Patchouli accord is there from top to bottom and becomes more dominant as time goes on, which might be why people consider it linear. These two also produce a tar note, not the same as the tar in A*Men, a bit more rubbery.

    I cant make out the Rhubarb in this one, there is a sour fruit note there in the opening, but doesn't register as Rhubarb. It is paired up with Licorice Root. I have spotted the 'Peanut' accord that people mention once or twice, but I dont always get it.

    In the heart, in comes the redwood and the spicerack. The combo of wood and burnt smells doesn't come across as smokey though. My experience is that if you are not judicious with the spritzer, the redwood note becomes very musky. This does mean I'm never quite sure what experience I'm going to get that day. Be warned, B*Men is highly potent - my 100ml bottle will probably last a decade, and in its own way it isn't any more polite than A*Men.

    Then in the base, the burnt sugar and Patchouli prevails. I've not picked up the Vetiver at this stage, I am assuming I'm combining the earthiness of the Patch and the Vetiver into one smell.

    I wouldn't call it an Oriental, there aren't really any resinous or vanilla notes. Its a semi-sweet Woody Spicy to me.
    You said it all! I definitely prefer it over A Men.
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

    Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

  19. #19

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I personally think the only connection between A*Men and B*Men is a sweetened Patchouli accord. But even then, there is a clear difference between the sweet notes used. In A*Men, it is a Caramel Candy note, which is where most of A*Mens tooth rotting, diabetic shock sweetness comes from. This along with the Mint, Coffee and Chocolate firmly peg A*Men as a gourmand. None of these exist in B*Men. If Caramel Candy is 'cooked sugar', then the sweetener in B*Men is most definitely 'burnt sugar', overcooked and blackened. This is why B*Men is nowhere near as sweet as his brother. This burnt sugar and Patchouli accord is there from top to bottom and becomes more dominant as time goes on, which might be why people consider it linear. These two also produce a tar note, not the same as the tar in A*Men, a bit more rubbery.

    I cant make out the Rhubarb in this one, there is a sour fruit note there in the opening, but doesn't register as Rhubarb. It is paired up with Licorice Root. I have spotted the 'Peanut' accord that people mention once or twice, but I dont always get it.

    In the heart, in comes the redwood and the spicerack. The combo of wood and burnt smells doesn't come across as smokey though. My experience is that if you are not judicious with the spritzer, the redwood note becomes very musky. This does mean I'm never quite sure what experience I'm going to get that day. Be warned, B*Men is highly potent - my 100ml bottle will probably last a decade, and in its own way it isn't any more polite than A*Men.

    Then in the base, the burnt sugar and Patchouli prevails. I've not picked up the Vetiver at this stage, I am assuming I'm combining the earthiness of the Patch and the Vetiver into one smell.

    I wouldn't call it an Oriental, there aren't really any resinous or vanilla notes. Its a semi-sweet Woody Spicy to me.
    You said it all! I definitely prefer it over A Men.
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

    Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

  20. #20
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    imo, it's the best of all mugler's creations for men. just perfect.

  21. #21
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    very good and extremely underrated scent , B*men is what A*men should have been.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    I have always liked A*Men much better than B*Men!!!
    Gary

  23. #23

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Folks that don't like patchouli and vetiver will not like B*Men.
    I LOVE patchouli and vetiver, nevertheless, I despise B*men.
    There was only one good thing with B*men, the ridiculous rubber "whatchamacallit" that makes hard to spray it therefore prevented you from spraying too much of that horrendous concoction
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 1st February 2011 at 10:23 PM.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    I think B*Men literally drowned in the fame of A*Men. I don't see the point in comparing A* and B*Men in absolute terms; I believe they are meant to be different fragrances even though they have some similarity in their names.

    The rhubarb note makes B*Men interesting to me, sounds quite unique. Unfortunately I coulnd't find it anywhere around here... all I see is A*Men all over the place. Bummer!

    I would definitely give it a try since it's from a designer house that is well-known for extraordinary and appreciable fragrances.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    Though not an outstanding frag, there is something about this scent which always attracted and intrigued me, maybe it is the slight acidity, yet not overdone, of the rhubarb note, plus a certain spicy drydown

  26. #26

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    I suspect the flaw in B*men was the name.
    Assuming one didn't know much about scents, would you really buy a B Grade scent for anybody, when there's an A Grade scent around?

    I noticed the concept got dropped. There was never a C*men. Just lots of A*men flankers.
    Renato

  27. #27
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I suspect the flaw in B*men was the name.
    Assuming one didn't know much about scents, would you really buy a B Grade scent for anybody, when there's an A Grade scent around?

    I noticed the concept got dropped. There was never a C*men. Just lots of A*men flankers.
    Renato
    That's an interesting way to look at it. I never considered that angle, nonetheless, I prefer B*Men and have only that one in my wardrobe. Perhaps some folks do look at it like you said.

  28. #28
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,284

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    Absolutely wonderful; it is a better quality version of Avon's Woody Musk.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Thoughts on B*Men?

    Absolutely delightful on my significant other, $20 blind buy for 50 ml : good deal!

Similar Threads

  1. Your thoughts please...
    By bosati05 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 8th January 2009, 05:09 AM
  2. My thoughts...
    By EnvYuS in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 30th March 2006, 12:57 PM
  3. My thoughts...
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •