Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How do you respond to a compliment from a total stranger?

Total Stranger: You smell (nice, good, beautiful etc..)

You: fill in the blank...

Default Re: How do you respond to a compliment from a total stranger?

Thank you

oh this ol' thing?

I usually smile and say thanks! and then if it seems like they're interested in knowing more i ask a leading question like 'what does it smell like to you?'
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Sur la Plage

"Thank you"
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have at times expounded more, but I find on average, people really don't want to discuss it much further if the name of your scent isn't something they instantly recognize as a designer name to which they can relate and ask about at Macys. It's happened to me a lot with Domenico Caraceni 1913.

"Thank you ... its Azzaro Chrome"

Thank you (I'm thrilled you noticed )
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    "Thank you"

You think that's good? Wait til you hear my phone number! =)

Assuming the compliment giver is somebody you might want to get to know better...

A) "Thank you... By the way, what are you wearing?..." or

B) "Thank you... By the way, are you wearing ...?"

Before you know it, you've had a 10 minute conversation and it 'feels right' to exchange numbers, or go for a coffee and carry on the chat in more comfortable surroundings...

Basenotes Plus

"Why, thank you! For you to have noticed that, you must have excellent taste in fragrances yourself."

This will leave the path open for more perfume-related discussions if the stranger is so inclined.

I respond with a sincere thank you.

Has anyone ever been told that their fragrance smells bad or too strong? How do you respond to that one?

I just apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    Ditto
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

The last time I received a compliment, my immediate response was "Thanks! ... errr, you shouldn't be able to smell me from there".

Too many sprays of Wonderwood.

"Why thank you...it's Aqua di Gio"

Regardless of the scent it is, lol

I know!

Re: How do you respond to a compliment from a total stranger?

GIRL PERSON: YOU SMELL GOOD.

YOU: THANK"S YOU LOOK GOOD.

I think "Thank you" is always an appropriate response to a compliment of any kind.

[soapbox on]
    It is a shame that we can not or do not compliment each other more often in this society. So many times someone has put so much effort into keeping fit, or choosing the perfect ensemble or scent or even make up or hair style. A person could log countless hours on a stair master and build the worlds most perfectly shaped derrière, but there is not a single disinterested party that could pay that person a compliment.

The last unsolicited compliment I gave a stranger was a young lady that had some of the most beautiful and healthy looking thick hair I had ever seen. She looked as though she just stepped off one of those magical shampoo commercials. I told her "excuse me, I just have to tell you that I think you have some of the most strikingly beautiful hair I have ever seen." (exact words). She looked at me as though I spit on her and without skipping a beat, replied "I have a boy friend." I showed her my wedding band and said "me too." Figuring that should have been disarming enough I even punctuated it with a gentle smile. She just turned her head away and that was the end of it. So I don't compliment strangers anymore. Being a lover of l'esprit d'escalier there were two things that came to mind almost immediately, 1. "I hope it all falls out" 2. "Damn, where did my chewing gum go?" <weg> I didn't say either one, but I sure enough thought them.

Many times we are concerned that such will be misinterpreted as an unwanted advance either sexual or otherwise. No better to do so within the same sex as opposite. This could be a much longer rant, but I guess I am just beginning to accept it and my rants are getting much shorter.

So when compliments come, for whatever reason, start with "Thank you!" Remember that someone is putting him/herself out there in even offering one.
    [soapbox off]

Quote Originally Posted by Abs View Post
    It is a shame that we can not or do not compliment each other more often in this society.

So I don't compliment strangers anymore.
    I think you found the reason why people don't compliment each other anymore yourself.

I can understand where you are coming from, but you can't take one isolated experience and stop being yourself. Every experience and human being is different. You know how many times I have opened the door for someone, or let someone go in front of me on the roads and they never say "Thank You?" A ton! I still continue to do it because it is etched into my personality, and there are people out there that appreciate your kindness. Don't kill it for everyone.

I'll ask for their name and phone number then sue them for sexual harassment.

Thanks with a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    I think you found the reason why people don't compliment each other anymore yourself.

I can understand where you are coming from, but you can't take one isolated experience and stop being yourself. Every experience and human being is different. You know how many times I have opened the door for someone, or let someone go in front of me on the roads and they never say "Thank You?" A ton! I still continue to do it because it is etched into my personality, and there are people out there that appreciate your kindness. Don't kill it for everyone.
    That is me. I also don't touch people anymore if I can avoid it. There are just too many issues and too many people trying to make a problem out of stuff that is not a problem. Unfortunately, for me, I have just chosen to live a bit more carefully and in order to avoid such silliness I recognize that I am forgoing the benefits that go along with them. For the time being, I am willing to live with that. I don't suggest that everyone else should do so as well, just sharing where I am at.

Thank you.

I just say "Oh, Thanks!" or "Thank You". If they go on and ask what it is, I will tell them or even write it down if they want more information.

Thank You Mam.....Or Thank You Sir.....Gary

Blog Entries

l always say thankyou. Not to do so would be very rude IMO, & l am genuinely pleased when someone bothers to give a compliment. lf they ask what it is l will tell them, & then smile at the puzzled look on their face
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

- let's go to my place

Quote Originally Posted by ASchell90 View Post
    I respond with a sincere thank you.

Has anyone ever been told that their fragrance smells bad or too strong? How do you respond to that one?

I just apologize.

I would say thank you very much.

A while back a women sniffed me, and said "Young man, you smell like an old whore(wearing Ravageur)"
    The crust to say that to anyone, maybe this felt it was okay because they were "older" . I can be a real smartass when I'm annoyed, so I simply said, "You'd know wouldnt you" and walked away. Damn it felt good.
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

I just smile and say, "Thank you."

I once complimented a woman in a grocery line and asked her what scent she was wearing. She said, "I forgot." Yeah, right. She just wanted to guard her "secret," I am sure. What did she take me for?

Frankly, I don't give a sparrow's fart about signature scents. My heart is much larger than that. If someone asks about my scent, I tell them the truth. In honesty, it's usually some oddball niche most people cannot pronounce. LOL!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

"Thanks bro lol"

I would say Thank you! If they asked what I was wearing; I would respond by saying "thanks for noticing! I'm wearing_______________!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Well you know your stuff smells good when even a straight guy compliment you... lol

Never happened.

But once somebody told me I looked good dressed in a suit, obviously fishing for a compliment back, I said "I know."

DeepSilence

I prefer to answer simply "Thank you"

Depends, depends...

I would seek to find out, both verbally and non-verbally, whether this stranger is at least marginally interested in perfume and, if yes, try to strike up timid and discreet attempts regarding the beginnings of a fragrance-related conversation

If it ever happened, I would keep it to a simple Thank You. But I've never had total strangers say anything other than ask direction when they are lost.

"Back off, buddy!"

The reason why I'm asking is that once Jessica Alba said to me that I smell sexy...and I told her "Thanks for noticing, but I'm married"

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    The reason why I'm asking is that once Jessica Alba said to me that I smell sexy...and I told her "Thanks for noticing, but I'm married"
    What were you wearing? She may have just liked the scent you were wearing....

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

"Thank you. You're very kind to mention it."
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

What fragrance you wear in this moment ?
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    What were you wearing? She may have just liked the scent you were wearing....

Creed Himalaya

Damn right I do. Now on your way, pleb!
    Last edited by adonis; 2nd February 2011 at 03:38 AM.

Thanks, it's Pour un Homme de Caron and you have real taste!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    "Why, thank you! For you to have noticed that, you must have excellent taste in fragrances yourself."

This will leave the path open for more perfume-related discussions if the stranger is so inclined.
    this is the Best answer.. this is actually how i respond

and after saying that
    and if u like the girl , and want to get to know her Better
    i play a little Bit of the "don't try to seduce me" attitude
    saying something like : "wo wo ... But slow you're roll honey, you ain't getting me home that easy"
    she laughs , and you say "i need comfort, romance, trust and conection Before you try to get that far"

i don't care if some girls start acting Bitchy, i do this for fun with almost every girl i met.

there are a lot of girls who find the situation funny, and starts to get interested
    if they keep laughing you just change the conversation, without asking to many typical questions all the guys do
    like "where do u live" "what do u do for a living" "what's your name?"
    i mean that ain't wrong, But she will lose interest, Because if she is an atractive girl
    she might Be used to a lot of guys approaching her, complimenting her, asking Boring questions to get to know her

instead of that, keep the conversation going, Being funny (not a clown) and laid Back
    and if things go well , ask for her numBer, never give her yours
    gotta have her waiting for the call

Quote Originally Posted by neo_angel View Post

and after saying that
    saying something like : "wo wo ... But slow you're roll honey, you ain't getting me home that easy"
    she laughs , and you say "i need comfort, romance, trust and conection Before you try to get that far"

i don't care if some girls start acting Bitchy, i do this for fun with almost every girl i met.

there are a lot of girls who find the situation funny, and starts to get interested
    if they keep laughing you just change the conversation, without asking to many typical questions all the guys do
    i mean that ain't wrong, But she will lose interest, Because if she is an atractive girl
    she might Be used to a lot of guys approaching her, complimenting her, asking Boring questions to get to know her

instead of that, keep the conversation going, Being funny (not a clown) and laid Back

you got most of the game correct, but you just lost the game when you asked her for your number... you just showed her your weakness and desperation like most men... since she's already interested in you and digging your fragrance already... give her your number and let her be the desperate one, and the one chasing after you... you can be the prey...hahahaha

you got most of the game correct, but you just lost the game when you asked her for your number... you just showed her your weakness and desperation like most men... since she's already interested in you and digging your fragrance already... give her your number and let her be the desperate one, and the one chasing after you... you can be the prey...hahahaha
    if this is how it works for you, great, go ahead.

But i never give my numBer, Because that would Be givin her the control of the situation
    i think it's more attractive for her, if the man its in total control of the situation
    thats the type of guy they like, someone who is dominant
    most of the girls are not going to call if you give them the numBer
    even tho when she was truly feeling you when you met
    you gon' Be waiting, and she knows it... even tho' she felt attracted from the first meeting, she is not going to call
    why? i don't know exactly, it might Be an ego thing, vanity.
    seems like they love to play games and love to win them,
    this is how it is Before the you Become more important to her

that's why i get the numBer, wait aBout four days to call her
    and not invite her go out to a date alone, B4 that , i'll call her and tell her imma Be out with some friends (including female friends) and asked her join us if she wants, we'll go camping or whatever...
    i mean the kind of invitation she will say no, Bcus of the social disadvantage she'd Be put through
    and this will distract her a little Bit from the fact that im trying to seduce her, and at the same time letting her know that i have an active social life , and she is far from Being (at this point) Big deal in my life, and im far from Being needy or desperate.
    it's too hard for her to say yes to that, never happened, especially if you let her know aBout the event the same day you are inviting her, saying something, like: we reunite in one hour and we leaving...

a few days later, call her and invite her out on a date (at this point, mayBe she is going to Be the one calling me)

the date of the date arrives
    and then, well, you wear the fragrance you wore when you first met, will help her reminisce aBout the exciting,fun and the good vyBe of that moment, so things'll go just right.

i usually go with "thank u..its le male by Jean Paul Gaultier"

Heh!

I once asked someone (of the opposite sex) what they were wearing at work. I didn't say they smelled "sexy" though. I just plain out asked what they were wearing. Maybe I'm just blunt that way.

I am pretty sure the person misconstrued it as a come-on, cuz the person said they didn't remember, and looked flustered. I ended up finding out what it was from someone who was also wearing it in another department at work.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    "Back off, buddy!"
    ROFL lol

quick question to alot of you online guys, if you had someone you knew ask what cologne your wearing , would you feel threaten ? because I already had a few ask and I don't want everyone smelling like me in my area, online is different because its across the world...I don't mind telling girls but guys is like ugh... no back off , buddy... lol
    Thank you, deadidol

Talking Re: How do you respond to a compliment from a total stranger?

Total Stranger: You smell (nice, good, beautiful etc..)

You: fill in the blank...
    Well,As insufficient information provided here I take the liberty to dissect this question a bit more deeply.

Lets assume that the complement giver is the opposite sex and as this question is asked in male fragrance discussion, Lets assume its a Female.

Now as we know the complement giver is the Female, Second thing comes to mind is what is her age group?

For sake of convenience, I am dividing them in 3 groups.

1.My age group
    2.Younger than my age group
    3.Older than my age group.

Now as you can see Your answer should differ for each age group[if you are single and looking...or if you are just looking!!!]

I will not waste my time with a younger or older age group.

[let me clarify that the term "my age group" is a bit loose term indicating your potential girl friend age group or any thing leading to FUN(adult only please!!!!).
    So its nothing but very simple thing, outside of which any female will not grab your attention.]

So Lets assume its the girl of your age group and now the game becomes interesting.

Now you need to screen her and take your best guess to see whether she is single/not.

Lets say She is single-no bf accompanying/no ring/no kids----lol...

Lets recollect everything till now I have assumed,

We are dealing with a total stranger, a girl who is pretty and have a potential for some kind of relationship.

Good, now comes the very important thing.

"What is the place?"

If you know its a fun place like bar/club/party- that means she is looking to start a conversation at least.

So you know the place-you know her-you might have guessed correctly her intentions.

ITS YOUR GAME NOW.
    [lets not go too deep into what occasion it is,whether she is a scholar/high family etc-no spoon feeding for now-everything changes your answer and behaviour accordingly]

Lets go with routine conversation like,
    Thanks for the complements, by the way I m Sam[you are taking control of the situation by introducing yourself and at the same time forwarding your hand for a handshake with confidence in your eyes and a little smile on your face]

Mostly she will do the handshake and intro of her too.

Next question could be anything but as this started with perfumes, ask her what is/are her fav perfume/s?
    Keep the question open ended.

Well stay smart and confident and keep eye contact with a smile on face and open personality.

As she has approached you, she will definately make her intentions clear whether she is interested in you or just the name of the cologne you are wearing.

DON'T MESS UP.

So this was about the some fun places where you have plenty of time to talk.

Now lets think about more usual places like subway train/shopping mall/grocery store etc where you/she might not have enough time.

Plan is to impress her with your answer which should be either smart/witty/with humour.

I can say anything with enough confidence to make her smile/laugh/keep interested etc.

"Thanks,thats my favourite one/you got a nice sense of smell/you got a class/I am sorry I did not take shower today."

Lets wait for her to say something, if she is really interested in your fragrance/you.She might ask the name of your cologne.

Now when you answer, you can ask either she is interested in perfumes/take a guess by asking her about her frag wardrobe/fav ones.

Rest is upto you and your personality and your smartness......once you get a conversation going...you should exchange intro.Keep her interested....everyone is unique....you need to find out the right key....once you get it....play it smart and she will be curious enough to know you and you might get a number/date depending entirely upon your performance.

At work I usually stay professional and I dont play [dirty] unless the stranger pushes for it.

This is a brief synopsis on an incomplete yet commonly asked question.

For the other two groups, unless they really really seem into fragrances- make it short and civilized.

For the same sex-just give any name-who cares.....except for the fragrance lovers.

THANKS FOR READING THIS STUPID HYPOTHETICAL DISSECTION OF A SEEMINGLY STUPID QUESTION......

NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE.
    Last edited by neo_the_1; 2nd February 2011 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neo_angel View Post

and after saying that

Excellent Game, young man.

This clearly isn't the only site you hang around on...

Quote Originally Posted by WeSmellGood View Post
    ROFL lol

quick question to alot of you online guys, if you had someone you knew ask what cologne your wearing , would you feel threaten ? because I already had a few ask and I don't want everyone smelling like me in my area, online is different because its across the world...I don't mind telling girls but guys is like ugh... no back off , buddy... lol
    Just make sure you always wear very expensive and exclusive scents, and then even if you tell them what you are wearing chances are they won't bother to buy it....

But seriously, I don't mind if people know what I'm wearing.

I will tell anyone, male or female, what cologne I'm wearing. Doesn't matter. People seem really small when they won't tell what they're wearing. Very protectionist and secretive. C'mon, it's freaking cologne! LIGHTEN UP! Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Heh!

I once asked someone (of the opposite sex) what they were wearing at work. I didn't say they smelled "sexy" though. I just plain out asked what they were wearing. Maybe I'm just blunt that way.

I am pretty sure the person misconstrued it as a come-on, cuz the person said they didn't remember, and looked flustered. I ended up finding out what it was from someone who was also wearing it in another department at work.
    Were you on the phone with them at the time?
    "hey, what are you wearing... "

"I'm shocked you're capable of appreciating my advanced taste in fragrances; way to go."

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'll kiss them full on the lips and invite them back to my place, where I'll regale them with my neurotic behaviour and tales of my dysfunctional childhood.
    Oh, good times, indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by megamrexclusive View Post
    Re: How do you respond to a compliment from a total stranger?

GIRL PERSON: YOU SMELL GOOD.

YOU: THANK"S YOU LOOK GOOD.
    Nice

Me: Thank you (or--regardless of what niche I'm wearing--"Thank you, it's John Varvatos").
    Someone with actual game: You don't care how I smell, you just wanted an excuse to talk to me
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    Someone with actual game: You don't care how I smell, you just wanted an excuse to talk to me
    How do you know that ?
    Any Snusers on basenotes?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/270424-Snusers!