Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How do you respond to a compliment from a total stranger?

Total Stranger: You smell (nice, good, beautiful etc..)

You: fill in the blank...

Default Re: How do you respond to a compliment from a total stranger?

Thank you

oh this ol' thing?

I usually smile and say thanks! and then if it seems like they're interested in knowing more i ask a leading question like 'what does it smell like to you?'
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Sur la Plage

"Thank you"
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have at times expounded more, but I find on average, people really don't want to discuss it much further if the name of your scent isn't something they instantly recognize as a designer name to which they can relate and ask about at Macys. It's happened to me a lot with Domenico Caraceni 1913.

"Thank you ... its Azzaro Chrome"

Blog Entries

Thank you (I'm thrilled you noticed )
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    "Thank you"

You think that's good? Wait til you hear my phone number! =)

Assuming the compliment giver is somebody you might want to get to know better...

A) "Thank you... By the way, what are you wearing?..." or

B) "Thank you... By the way, are you wearing ...?"

Before you know it, you've had a 10 minute conversation and it 'feels right' to exchange numbers, or go for a coffee and carry on the chat in more comfortable surroundings...

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

"Why, thank you! For you to have noticed that, you must have excellent taste in fragrances yourself."

This will leave the path open for more perfume-related discussions if the stranger is so inclined.

I respond with a sincere thank you.

Has anyone ever been told that their fragrance smells bad or too strong? How do you respond to that one?

I just apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    Ditto
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

The last time I received a compliment, my immediate response was "Thanks! ... errr, you shouldn't be able to smell me from there".

Too many sprays of Wonderwood.

"Why thank you...it's Aqua di Gio"

Regardless of the scent it is, lol

I know!

Blog Entries

Re: How do you respond to a compliment from a total stranger?

GIRL PERSON: YOU SMELL GOOD.

YOU: THANK"S YOU LOOK GOOD.

I think "Thank you" is always an appropriate response to a compliment of any kind.

[soapbox on]
    It is a shame that we can not or do not compliment each other more often in this society. So many times someone has put so much effort into keeping fit, or choosing the perfect ensemble or scent or even make up or hair style. A person could log countless hours on a stair master and build the worlds most perfectly shaped derrière, but there is not a single disinterested party that could pay that person a compliment.

The last unsolicited compliment I gave a stranger was a young lady that had some of the most beautiful and healthy looking thick hair I had ever seen. She looked as though she just stepped off one of those magical shampoo commercials. I told her "excuse me, I just have to tell you that I think you have some of the most strikingly beautiful hair I have ever seen." (exact words). She looked at me as though I spit on her and without skipping a beat, replied "I have a boy friend." I showed her my wedding band and said "me too." Figuring that should have been disarming enough I even punctuated it with a gentle smile. She just turned her head away and that was the end of it. So I don't compliment strangers anymore. Being a lover of l'esprit d'escalier there were two things that came to mind almost immediately, 1. "I hope it all falls out" 2. "Damn, where did my chewing gum go?" <weg> I didn't say either one, but I sure enough thought them.

Many times we are concerned that such will be misinterpreted as an unwanted advance either sexual or otherwise. No better to do so within the same sex as opposite. This could be a much longer rant, but I guess I am just beginning to accept it and my rants are getting much shorter.

So when compliments come, for whatever reason, start with "Thank you!" Remember that someone is putting him/herself out there in even offering one.
    [soapbox off]

Quote Originally Posted by Abs View Post
    It is a shame that we can not or do not compliment each other more often in this society.

So I don't compliment strangers anymore.
    I think you found the reason why people don't compliment each other anymore yourself.

I can understand where you are coming from, but you can't take one isolated experience and stop being yourself. Every experience and human being is different. You know how many times I have opened the door for someone, or let someone go in front of me on the roads and they never say "Thank You?" A ton! I still continue to do it because it is etched into my personality, and there are people out there that appreciate your kindness. Don't kill it for everyone.

I'll ask for their name and phone number then sue them for sexual harassment.

Thanks with a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    I think you found the reason why people don't compliment each other anymore yourself.

I can understand where you are coming from, but you can't take one isolated experience and stop being yourself. Every experience and human being is different. You know how many times I have opened the door for someone, or let someone go in front of me on the roads and they never say "Thank You?" A ton! I still continue to do it because it is etched into my personality, and there are people out there that appreciate your kindness. Don't kill it for everyone.
    That is me. I also don't touch people anymore if I can avoid it. There are just too many issues and too many people trying to make a problem out of stuff that is not a problem. Unfortunately, for me, I have just chosen to live a bit more carefully and in order to avoid such silliness I recognize that I am forgoing the benefits that go along with them. For the time being, I am willing to live with that. I don't suggest that everyone else should do so as well, just sharing where I am at.

Thank you.

I just say "Oh, Thanks!" or "Thank You". If they go on and ask what it is, I will tell them or even write it down if they want more information.

Thank You Mam.....Or Thank You Sir.....Gary

Blog Entries

l always say thankyou. Not to do so would be very rude IMO, & l am genuinely pleased when someone bothers to give a compliment. lf they ask what it is l will tell them, & then smile at the puzzled look on their face
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

- let's go to my place

Quote Originally Posted by ASchell90 View Post
    I respond with a sincere thank you.

Has anyone ever been told that their fragrance smells bad or too strong? How do you respond to that one?

I just apologize.

I would say thank you very much.

A while back a women sniffed me, and said "Young man, you smell like an old whore(wearing Ravageur)"
    The crust to say that to anyone, maybe this felt it was okay because they were "older" . I can be a real smartass when I'm annoyed, so I simply said, "You'd know wouldnt you" and walked away. Damn it felt good.
    Please cancel my subscription to your issues.

I just smile and say, "Thank you."

I once complimented a woman in a grocery line and asked her what scent she was wearing. She said, "I forgot." Yeah, right. She just wanted to guard her "secret," I am sure. What did she take me for?

Frankly, I don't give a sparrow's fart about signature scents. My heart is much larger than that. If someone asks about my scent, I tell them the truth. In honesty, it's usually some oddball niche most people cannot pronounce. LOL!
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

"Thanks bro lol"