Code of Conduct

Cool A light, sweet and salty, high quality sea/aquatic fragrance — what have I missed?

I'm looking for my perfect fit aquatic / beachy / sea / coast fragrance and I have very particular criteria:

1. Light, happy, bright and pleasant scent. To give an example, I love Dior Homme Cologne 2013. That is my go-to citrus. I'm looking for sort of the same qualities (not necessarily same ingredients) in an aquatic.

2. Smells like a postcard impression of the sea, NOT a literal sea smell. I'm talking about the feeling of sun, blue sky, sweet and salty sea air and a gentle breeze blowing through a sunny coast.

3. Stays fresh, light and aquatic for the entire life of the fragrance. No strange turns. No drying down to something warm, overly woody or spicy, etc.

4. Preferably a high quality scent with high quality materials. I know aquatics must make use of some cheap synthetics by nature, but as we know many of these scents occupy a wasteland of failed flankers and cheap copycats with a budget that runs out of cash by the end of the top notes. No $10 Adidas sport flankers, etc. Not TOO expensive. No Creeds or Amouages, please. Sort of in the mid to top end designer or more standard niche price range.

What I've already considered
    Nautica Voyage - Own it and like it, but can come off a little cheap and chemical.

South Water - Awaiting a sample I ordered!

Acqua di Gio - This is currently my front runner that ticks the most boxes. Although it doesn't smell dated, it does have a slight 90s vibe to it, but I can probably overlook it.

Sel Marin - Definitely a literal sea smell I found highly unpleasant.

Aqva Marine - Good, but the seaweed note reminds me of sushi wrap.

Bergamotto Marino - Good opening, then turns into a pure jasmine bomb on me.

L'eau d'Issey - Good, but to me is a straight woody citrus. I don't get sea or beach out of it.

Polo Blue - More of a clean shower scent?

Set Sail St. Barts - Haven't tried, but sounds more like an exotic drink than an exotic coast. Not sure about smelling like booze?

Aqva and Gio Essenza - Both turn too dark and intense for what I'm going for.

Chanel Bleu - Own it and love it, but has a warm and rich dry down.

Beyond Paradise Men - A bit too fruity, floral and abstract.

Eau de Merveilles - Quite minerally and reminds me of a beach in winter. I'm going for summer!

Guerlain Homme L'eau - Nice mojito vibe, but not an aquatic.

Voyage d'Hermes - Nice, but not my bag. Dislike mentholy mint.

Hermes Jardin line - Didn't work for me at all.

So? Have I tapped everything out and should I go with good old Acqua di Gio? Or are there any gems out there I've left undiscovered?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by TrimmTrabb; 11th June 2014 at 05:16 PM.

Default Re: A light, sweet and salty, high quality sea/aquatic fragrance — what have I missed?

Maybe Epice Marine or L'humaniste?

Default Re: A light, sweet and salty, high quality sea/aquatic fragrance — what have I missed?

Perhaps Millesime Imperial?

Sweet and salty? That's a toughie

Sel de Vetiver or Fleurs de Sel would be my choices. Maybe Montauk although that is a bit pricey.

I agree with you about the Hermes Jardin line -- not one I've liked

Imaginary Authors falling into the sea.

It's basically = Sel marin + Litchi + grapefruit

Get a hold of a sample and try it.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Maybe Creed's Virgin Island Water, but thats more sea breeze with creamy coconut than watery citrus.
    The only other thing I can suggest is L'eau D'Issey Summer 2014, its light, its grapefruit citrus with some calone style saltiness.
    Its AdG Essenza without the woody ending. It doesnt last as long however.

Its tough to find what you're looking for.
    I have zero experience with this scent, but its recommended regularly here:

L`Humaniste by Frapin

FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective

For Sale - For Swap - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 11/13
    WANTED: None

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    Perhaps Millesime Imperial?
    This. I realize the OP requested nothing expensive, specifically naming Creeds but this salty aquatic with lush melon sounds like it would fit the bill. Also, if you order from a vendor like Fragrancenet, a bottle can be had quite reasonably.

Quote Originally Posted by frostiblack View Post
    This. I realize the OP requested nothing expensive, specifically naming Creeds but this salty aquatic with lush melon sounds like it would fit the bill. Also, if you order from a vendor like Fragrancenet, a bottle can be had quite reasonably.
    True, he said no Creeds, but MI just seems to fit so well with what he's looking for.

If a Creed were to be considered I'd suggest Erolfa

Try the reg Bvlgari Aqva? - not the marine?

Also another Creed possibly to be considered: Royal Water.

Quote Originally Posted by laroche View Post
    From what the OP desires I think this one would be a wise choice. Though my preference would be for the glorious Millesime Imperial.

Guys, I didn't mention, but I have tried Millesime Imperial. I was so excited for the sample because it sounded like a perfect fit.

Unfortunately, I don't know if it's a batch thing people here talk about or what, but after a promising salty watermelon opening it goes into what I could only describe as some kind of dissonant leather or tar note. Tried 3 separate times, had to scrub it off each time. Such a shame.

Armani Code Sport Athlete, I own it and love it.

On fragrantica many people say its similar to Dior Cologne 2013. Smells a little salty a little sweet, aquatic, and just a hint of mint. Midrange pricewise. Excellent performance.

The downside: its discontinued and a little hard to find at times.

Quote Originally Posted by TrimmTrabb View Post
    Guys, I didn't mention, but I have tried Millesime Imperial. I was so excited for the sample because it sounded like a perfect fit.

Unfortunately, I don't know if it's a batch thing people here talk about or what, but after a promising salty watermelon opening it goes into what I could only describe as some kind of dissonant leather or tar note. Tried 3 separate times, had to scrub it off each time. Such a shame.
    That's really weird. I have no idea what you're talking about. For me it mellows down to a slightly musky, salty-sweet goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    That's really weird. I have no idea what you're talking about. For me it mellows down to a slightly musky, salty-sweet goodness.
    I know, I was confused too. There's no leather in the note breakdown. Had my girlfriend smell it to make sure I wasn't crazy. Again, she liked the opening, then turned away in disgust.

I would go with Bergamatto Marino. Another good one is Erolfa by Creed.

You are describing Erolfa. The longer I own it the better I like it.

Agree with several others here: Creed Erolfa fits the description perfectly. Sample, at least.

Like others have suggested, Erolfa would be my suggestion.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

Blog Entries

I agree that Erolfa fits the description.

Also try all the other Bvlgari Aqva flankers - Toniq, Marine Toniq, Amara. One of those may fit your needs.

Also, a couple that check most boxes (except salty):

L'eau par Kenzo
    Versace Pour Homme

Finally,

Not exactly aquatic (but has some fresh/aquatic qualities), but check out Allure Edition Blanche. I think it checks many of your boxes too. I even get a nice light vetiver in the base that can come across salty-like at times. LOVE this one.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 11th June 2014 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    You are describing Erolfa. The longer I own it the better I like it.
    This. I realize you said no Creeds, but this is exactly what you're wanting.

Epice Marine
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

Embruns D'Essaouira
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

byandthrough

Another for the original Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme. For a designer, it's an excellent impression of salty ocean water with some sweetness from the mandarin. It mellows out to light citrusy/powdery scent. It's becoming a favorite summer scent for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    I agree that Erolfa fits the description.

Also try all the other Bvlgari Aqva flankers - Toniq, Marine Toniq, Amara. One of those may fit your needs.

Also, a couple that check most boxes (except salty):

L'eau par Kenzo
    Versace Pour Homme

Finally,

Not exactly aquatic (but has some fresh/aquatic qualities), but check out Allure Edition Blanche. I think it checks many of your boxes too. I even get a nice light vetiver in the base that can come across salty-like at times. LOVE this one.
    Have you or anyone else tried the Toniq flankers compared to the originals, and what major differences could I expect? I wasn't even aware there was an Amara flanker, thanks!

I've tried the Versaces (Pour Homme, Eau Fraiche) and didn't like them, however that particular Kenzo I have not tried and it's a good suggestion. Finally, I have tried AHEB and liked it, though to me smelled like a creamy lemon but didn't so much evoke the qualities I'm seeking here.

Gents, thanks for all the other suggestions thus far. Clearly Erolfa is one I need to try, as well as a few other suggestions. Although discontinued, Armani Code Sport Athlete is still around on Strawberrynet should it fit the bill. Funny thing: I sold my 200ml Bergamotto Marino for dirt cheap just before supplies dwindled and price spiked around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by laroche View Post
    +1.

Blog Entries

I have not tried the Toniqs. Even though they have been out for a while I've never found a tester in my area. However, I love the original Aqva so much I'm considering blind buys of them. I think the chances of me disliking them completely is slim, but could be a waste of money if they aren't much different than the originals.

Amara I have tried. I first smelled it on a test strip and wrote it off as boring/not necessary/not for me. I went back later and sprayed some on my hand and really enjoyed it. It is like a softer version of the original, but still really nice.

It reminded me of an important lesson. Don't always trust what a fragrance smells like on paper.

I just recently picked up a bottle of Bond no 9's newest frag Shelter Island and I gotta say, it's pretty fantastic. I know, I know, it's a Bond so the most Basenoters won't even pretend to give it a try, but it's a great salty ocean type of a frag. To me it smells like a rustic island...what I mean by that is that it's definitely not tropical. It has an undiscovered, undeveloped remote island feel. It's got a touch of oud in it which really works great to create that feel. I'm not an oud fan, but this one is done well. Just another suggestion to add to your list.

I like South Water very much and also Lili Bermuda Calypso, but I agree with the suggestion for Falling Into the Sea by Imaginary Authors. I own all three and love each of them for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by LivelyupURself View Post
    I like South Water very much and also Lili Bermuda Calypso, but I agree with the suggestion for Falling Into the Sea by Imaginary Authors. I own all three and love each of them for different reasons.
    +1 for South Water, really nice scent!

Quote Originally Posted by hieroglyphx View Post
    +1 for South Water, really nice scent!
    Thanks guys, really looking forward to my sample of this. Just wondering, do you find it quite wearable and appropriate as a casual daily frag? Or does it make quite a loud or bold statement for that purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by TrimmTrabb View Post
    Thanks guys, really looking forward to my sample of this. Just wondering, do you find it quite wearable and appropriate as a casual daily frag? Or does it make quite a loud or bold statement for that purpose?
    I would say it hits the mark as a daily casual frag, not loud by my standards at all.

Bvlgari Aqva Toniq - a lighter, crisper version of the original

I often bolster its performance by adding two sprays of the original Aqva

If Millesime Imperial is out of the budget, check out Sean John Unforgivable or Ed Hardy Love and Luck. To be honest, MI sounds exactly what the OP is looking for in a fragrance.

Can I suggest Lacoste Noir.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Millesime Imperial by Creed matches the profile pretty much to the letter. While expensive at retail, it can be found at discounters like Fragrancenet for less than half price. Maybe go into a department store that sells it just to see how well it fits with your needs. I think you'll be pleased.

Pioggia Salata by Il Profvmo (I find it horrible but it fits the family).
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Chanel - Antaeus (vtg)
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | *NEW* Signoricci VTG BNIB, Capucci PH, Geo Trumper, Montana, Etro, Romeo Gigli...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    If Millesime Imperial is out of the budget, check out Sean John Unforgivable or Ed Hardy Love and Luck. To be honest, MI sounds exactly what the OP is looking for in a fragrance.

Yeah, this. Love and Luck as a preference.

best suggestions from those you haven't tried are:

Sel d' Vetiver by The Different Co.
    Darwin by Fueguia 1833
    Creed Erolfa

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Imaginary Authors falling into the sea.

It's basically = Sel marin + Litchi + grapefruit

Get a hold of a sample and try it.
    +1 this

I am really in love with this line. Except for Bull's Blood, all my nose gets is blood.
    My current top 10 fragrances :
    1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
    3. YSL L'Homme Libre
    4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
    6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
    7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
    9. Heeley Sel Marin
    10. by Kilian Back to Black

Quote Originally Posted by SpentaZ View Post
    +1 this

I am really in love with this line. Except for Bull's Blood, all my nose gets is blood.
    That's interesting, I sampled most of the line and found them all to be trash. Some were merely average but some like Memoirs of Trespasser and Soft Lawn were nauseating. Goes to show that in the end it's very subjective.

Stay away from Womanity. It's VERY beachy, VERY salty, VERY gross.

Basenotes Plus

Funny, I noted in the MI thread that I had a similar experience with my sample of MI. I think it was either an issue with the sample I had (and possibly yourself), or it didn't play well with my skin. I could smell melon for the first 20 seconds or so and then this rotten scent came out, my girlfriend was disgusted as well.

When I can make time to go down to Neimans this is going to be one of the first things I check. It's been driving me nuts.

Had same issue with MI. After the opening in turns into something I'd describe tarry and earthy. Exactly same thing happens all the time with my bottle of GIT. When asked here, I was told that it's probably ambergris, the signature Creed drydown. It ruins both MI and GIT for me.

Salty sea air = Sel de Vetiver

Blog Entries

How about Montale- Soleil de Capri​? Beach and sunshine, lasts and doesn't change.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mancio82 View Post
    Had same issue with MI. After the opening in turns into something I'd describe tarry and earthy. Exactly same thing happens all the time with my bottle of GIT. When asked here, I was told that it's probably ambergris, the signature Creed drydown. It ruins both MI and GIT for me.
    I've used GiT for a while now, and I've never had any issues with it. I love it.

MI starts off great for the first 20-30 seconds, and then turns into some rotten nasty funk. I love the first 20-30 seconds though, lol. I'm going to break out my sample when I get home and see what happens.

Another vote for South Water.

Erolfa

Kenzo pour Homme

Well, You should try Salvador Dali Laguna: Slightly Salty and sweet. Simple and cosy.
    For something more fresh, Hugo Boss Pure (you can't go wrong with it, although It has longevity issues)

Maybe you like Horizon, though it's more herbal-fresh than salty...........

Best fitting your description imo is the regular Bvlgari Aqva.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

One that rarely gets mentioned, that's high quality and meets all of your expectations is Lanvin Oxygen for Men. I think it may be what you're looking for.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I think it was already mentioned but I'll put it out there again.

Tommy Bahama St. Barts

If you do get it, you will need to give it a couple of wearings. Don't put it on after you have been smelling one of your other frags during the day. I found that other scents don't meld well into this one. Putting it on fresh out of the shower is a totally different experience.

Kenzo Pour Homme.