Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Are you stocking up on vintage scents?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, grabbing just about anything I can.

3 3.61%
  • Yes, when good deals present thenselves.

25 30.12%
  • Once in a while.

22 26.51%
  • Rarely.

10 12.05%
  • No interest in vintage scents.

23 27.71%

Default POLL: Are you stocking up on vintage scents ?

I'm curious to know, particularly in light of recent comments on IFRA guidelines.

Default Re: POLL: Are you stocking up on vintage scents ?

most certainly , the golden era of frags is over ....
    I have recently picked up ..
    Gianfranco Ferre for Men , 1st vintage
    Marbert Man EDC 1977
    Bogner Man & Man II
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 15th February 2014 at 07:11 AM. Reason: //

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I voted rarely. However, If one presents itself and it fills a gap in my collection, I'll buy it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Rarely.

But I recently bought vintage Mitsouko because I want to get the legend in its original form not lesser version.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    ...the golden era of frags is over ....
    That's for damn sure !

LOL yes, R.I.P

Actually, I did most of my stocking up a few years ago so now it's just keeping an eye out for the right one if it pops up. This train has well and truly left the station.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I grab the ones i like whenever i see them.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Voted 'Once in a while' because my budget is being directed outside the mainstream.
    If money were no object my vote would probably be different.

Eh, i did on a few. I bought 5 bottles of vintage M7. I have 5 Vintage D&G PH. And thats about the extent that i care for "vintage".

I was going crazy the other day because i used up the last bit of Antaeus i had. For sure the current juice would be shit. But honestly, its smells great. I feel like they just turned the volume down some.

Sound Scents

Absolutely!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Voted no...enjoy numerous reformulated FBs ( ie Le Male, Joop! Pour Homme). The only vintage that I am even remotely interested in is Vintage Fahrenheit.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Might as well stock up on any current good ones while you're at it, folks

http://akafkaesquelife.wordpress.com...ct-on-perfume/

If the opportunity presents itself.

for swap/sale:

I voted once in a while, mostly because of budget constraints and money being needed for other things (like bills) and wanted for other guilty pleasures. BUT, IF I came into a LARGE sum of cash I would likely grab up quite a few things.

Rarely - there's always something new to buy.

Never. Done with vintage. Expensive and they may turn. I'll stick to new ones. I do think it's a travesty what they've done to many of our faves. I can't change it, though.

Rarely. I have some backups of some of my favorites - and will probably be buying a few more backups this year. However, my collection currently is vastly larger than I will ever use in my lifetime, so I am starting to think I will never finish off another bottle in my collection. So, it is hard to justify buying too many more backups that I will never get to.

As far as the future of fragrances... Regulations have been happening for a long time now, and I think the greatest fragrances have been created in the last 15 years. I would guess that of my top 100 fragrances, at least 80 were made since 2000. The new regulations are worrisome for sure, and will likely damage a lot of current masterpieces. However, there is a chance that the sky is not falling.

Yes if deal is right and only the ones I adore and rock my realm !
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

No interest in vintage as I find there's plenty of great new frags available. However, I buy multiple backups of of my favorites if I know or think that they're going to be discontinued. My theory is, I have them there if I need them, and if I don't, I can always sell them down the line for as much, if not more, than what I had initially paid for them.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rarely- I have a vintage D&G and Dunhill 34- Made in Germany

No, I don't. I don't really care about vintage.

If its something I like, absolutely.... Mitsouko, patou pour homme, derby to name a few.

I have very little interest in vintage scents.
    I'm interested in what I have access to, both in terms of sampling and purchasing.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

I have very little interest in vinatage scents. But, if I find a good deal....who knows?

yep, I've fallen hard for the vintage aesthetic so have begun the hunt for them in earnest.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Generally, yes. Many underrated and (with the exception of Ebay and other overpriced retailers) often extremely affordable classic fragrances are present among the vintage ones.

most certainly , the golden era of frags is over ....
    I politely disagree with you on this one. The designer era is over but with niche around, who needs designer. On the other hand, there are some very great classics they aren't making anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyoakpenn View Post
    I politely disagree with you on this one. The designer era is over but with niche around, who needs designer. On the other hand, there are some very great classics they aren't making anymore.
    Well, most niche are going along with IFRA, for one thing. For another, niche doesn't have the complexity. Finally, at this point, vintage can be had for a quarter or less the price of niche if you have some patience. Are more reasons required? LOL.

most certainly , the golden era of frags is over
    Decades from now, people will be saying the same thing about scents from this era, like Interlude Man, Jubilation XXV, Rose 31, Royal Oud L'Air du Desert Marocain, Aventus, etc etc etc etc. Meanwhile, new amazing scents will still be being created. It's all so silly.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyoakpenn View Post
    The designer era is over ...
    My SOTD (Dior Homme) proves otherwise.

Some people only seem to respect the past. It's true in perfume, it's true in photography, it's true among audiophiles, and it's true in general. And it's silly.

If you enjoy vintage, that's great! Enjoy it. But don't fool yourself into thinking that, because you happen to enjoy things from a previous era, it means the current era is bad. That couldn't be more untrue.

Not at all.
    My philosophy is more like Carpe Diem. Enjoying what is readily available to me. Vintage is not... where I live and that is absolutely fine.
    I believe the regulations did not start so recently, so I should always be able to find fragrances to smell good. I am happy with the way my favourite fragrances smell and they are in the current formulation. If sometime down the road a favourite gets transformed to a point i don't like it anymore, so be it ! It will be the opportunity to discover new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Decades from now, people will be saying the same thing about scents from this era, like Interlude Man, Jubilation XXV, Rose 31, Royal Oud L'Air du Desert Marocain, Aventus, etc etc etc etc. Meanwhile, new amazing scents will still be being created. It's all so silly.

My SOTD (Dior Homme) proves otherwise.

Some people only seem to respect the past. It's true in perfume, it's true in photography, it's true among audiophiles, and it's true in general. And it's silly.

If you enjoy vintage, that's great! Enjoy it. But don't fool yourself into thinking that, because you happen to enjoy things from a previous era, it means the current era is bad. That couldn't be more untrue.
    Why do I have to feel the need to post...when L'homme Blanc Individuel is in the thread ?

I was thinking just the same about my DHI, LIDGE, Dior ESP, Narciso Rodriguez For Him... & Many many others current designers releases...
    Bentley For Men Intense (2013)...Dior Fahrenheit Le Parfum (2014)... among others come to mind.

In general, I have no interest in the vintage. However, I do occasionally sample or buy some vintage scents to try so that I can compare them to the current formulation or keep them as a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    Not at all.
    My philosophy is more like Carpe Diem. Enjoying what is readily available to me. Vintage is not... where I live and that is absolutely fine.
    I believe the regulations did not start so recently, so I should always be able to find fragrances to smell good. I am happy with the way my favourite fragrances smell and they are in the current formulation. If sometime down the road a favourite gets transformed to a point i don't like it anymore, so be it ! It will be the opportunity to discover new ones.
    You have my sympathy, but you don't have the right to your own facts. Fact: the IFRA guidelines have become considerably more strict recently. Fact: most companies, including niche, follow those guidelines. Fact: there are some recent designer releases that are reasonably "natural," but they can't use the same ingredients as vintage (due to IFRA, cost rise, etc.), so you'll see a lot with bases rich in vanilla, for example, but certainly not in oakmoss. Moreover, ebay and amazon price rises, including actual sales, suggest that now is the time to grab at least the good deals that you can find, unless you really dislike something about the scent (for example, if you dislike strong fougere accords), or of course if you just dislike vintage in general.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 15th February 2014 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    You have my sympathy, but you don't have the right to your own facts.
    FACT: fragrances were being reformulated long before the IFRA came into the picture. FACT: many fragrances are reformulated today for reasons that have nothing to do with the IFRA, such as costs and changing consumer tastes among other reasons, so blaming everything on the IFRA is scapegoating. FACT: if you prefer vintage, rock on. There's no need to make excuses for it or get combative about it. Like what you like and be happy.

FACT: fragrances were being reformulated long before the IFRA came into the picture. FACT: many fragrances are reformulated today for reasons that have nothing to do with the IFRA, such as costs and changing consumer tastes among other reasons, so blaming everything on the IFRA is scapegoating. FACT: if you prefer vintage, rock on. There's no need to make excuses for it or get combative about it. Like what you like and be happy.
    I can't stop you from making speculative claims, such as that I have a combative mindset, but I do know you can't read my mind. As to your "facts:"

1. I have never claimed reformulations didn't occur before IFRA. I don't know why you would bring this up, though, because the effect is to only make the case to "stock up"' stronger, not weaker!

2. I didn't blame IFRA, but pointed out facts, such as that just about all companies seem to be following their guidelines, even though this is not necessary, at least outside of Europe, so if blame is to be assessed, it might fall more heavily on these companies, but I am not interested in "playing the blame game." As I said, I was curious if the talk of IFRA guidelines is prompting many BNers to stock up on vintage.

3. What "excuses" are you referring to in this context? The person I responded to, in fact, made an excuse I consider silly, that is, vintage is totally unavailable where lives now. In fact, he can get decants of a huge number of vintage by buying from the many sellers at the Crystal Flacon site alone, for example.

4. This thread is not about what people like. It's about whether people are interested in stocking up considering what is occurring with IFRA, prices, and the general industry trends, presumably. The talk about IFRA is what inspired me to create a poll on this subject, but I certainly never claimed that the only motivation involved IFRA guidelines.

When I find a good deal I do!!!

Bigsly, I was commenting specifically on this.

I think the topic of this thread is great (not that my opinion matters). But it bugged me to see you jumping on LJD with a comment like "You have my sympathy, but you don't have the right to your own facts." I thought it was rude, so I pushed back - perhaps rudely, I'll admit. He said: "I believe the regulations did not start so recently, so I should always be able to find fragrances to smell good." I agree.

This thread is not about what people like. It's about whether people are interested in stocking up considering what is occurring with IFRA, prices, and the general industry trends, presumably. The talk about IFRA is what inspired me to create a poll on this subject, but I certainly never claimed that the only motivation involved IFRA guidelines.

I agree - this thread has gotten a bit off from the original question. I would simply say that NO, I am not stocking up on vintage - but I am going to grab a few "modern masterpieces" (tomorrow's classics) - just in case they will smell different in a year or two. Stocking up on vintage? no. Grabbing a few current greats? probably very soon.

Bigsly, I was commenting specifically on this.

I think the topic of this thread is great (not that my opinion matters). But it bugged me to see you jumping on LJD with a comment like "You have my sympathy, but you don't have the right to your own facts." I thought it was rude, so I pushed back - perhaps rudely, I'll admit. He said: "I believe the regulations did not start so recently, so I should always be able to find fragrances to smell good." I agree.
    All I can say is that I tried hard not to get nasty with that member! He can't get any vintage? Do you really believe that? Is he living in the heart of the Amazon rain forest? LOL.

Voted for "Yes, when good deals present thenselves." - however, I fall somewhere between choice 1 & 2 on your list...I'm quite easily tempted & have been on a vintage hunt the last 9 months...

Blog Entries

I'll be honest - I'm going to still love the stuff they come out with after the 2015 EU regulations hit. I have loved all sorts of things that people have called out as crud, after every ratcheting-up of IFRA, because I love the current style, whatever that is. That's just me. I'm a very adaptable person. I can live in the jungle, or the concrete jungle. I try to make do with whatever is handy. Love the juice you've got.

HOWEVER

I realize that people are going to be missing a lot of old stuff. A lot of these things will NOT be reformulated. Crisis = opportunity for these companies, and all the slow sellers are going to get the axe, just like this year. It will be 2014 X 100. When the ship leaves port, the people who missed the boat are going to be panicked, and then bummed. And someday, when they need a fragrance to brighten their life, and I need a little cash back for my retirement days.....

PRESTO

Vintage. Which, at the moment, is just oldies at discounters.

Yes, I'm stocking up on discontinued scents of high quality - things with reputation - things with powerhouse, IFRA-busting, or classic reputations, in particular.

I wish I had enough dough to invest in a fragrance store, but just getting a few frags to hold onto fragrance history - gotta do it. It's the librarian in me.

I'm only on the "any time a good deal is to be had" for just a few specific vintage fragrances. There are others I'd like to stock up on as well, but they're not as high a priority as I don't have the budget nor space allocated for creating my own fragrance warehouse. I'm VERY concerned about making sure I have my older fragrances temperature controlled over the summer. At times I am gone for days in a row and won't have A/C running much when I'm gone. My place can get up to 92F... which can't be good for vintage fragrances, as well as tax newer ones.

So, if I see a deal and I know someone who is looking for it, I'll let them know about it if I'm going to pass.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Navyy8 View Post
    Voted no...enjoy numerous reformulated FBs ( ie Le Male, Joop! Pour Homme). The only vintage that I am even remotely interested in is Vintage Fahrenheit.
    That's the only one I've been actively shopping for as well. Just purchase a 50% 100ml bottle from Nov 1998. If it's at all better than my current 2012 bottle I'll be thrilled.

Let me preface by saying that I haven't been active and haven't purchased anything for several years.

I've always defined myself though as a collector. As such, vintage fragrances are part and parcel of the collecting process. I've had one or two fragrances turn but the vast majority are still in great shape.

I used to keep track of the year that each of my fragrances were introduced. The average year of introduction for my wardrobe is 1977.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I can't stop you from making speculative claims, such as that I have a combative mindset, but I do know you can't read my mind. As to your "facts:"

1. I have never claimed reformulations didn't occur before IFRA. I don't know why you would bring this up, though, because the effect is to only make the case to "stock up"' stronger, not weaker!

2. I didn't blame IFRA, but pointed out facts, such as that just about all companies seem to be following their guidelines, even though this is not necessary, at least outside of Europe, so if blame is to be assessed, it might fall more heavily on these companies, but I am not interested in "playing the blame game." As I said, I was curious if the talk of IFRA guidelines is prompting many BNers to stock up on vintage.

3. What "excuses" are you referring to in this context? The person I responded to, in fact, made an excuse I consider silly, that is, vintage is totally unavailable where lives now. In fact, he can get decants of a huge number of vintage by buying from the many sellers at the Crystal Flacon site alone, for example.

4. This thread is not about what people like. It's about whether people are interested in stocking up considering what is occurring with IFRA, prices, and the general industry trends, presumably. The talk about IFRA is what inspired me to create a poll on this subject, but I certainly never claimed that the only motivation involved IFRA guidelines.
    If you read, correctly this time, my post I never said totally unavailable but "not readily available" which is quite different in meaning.

Since english is not my mother language, I just did check the meaning of readily. It means "promptly, quickly, easily...without difficulty or delay...".

On top of that, If you lived in a country without ebay, where anything you purchase will get at least 30% in added tax and consider the fact I simply don't buy decants (I prefer original bottles) perhaps you could understand what I meant by "not readily available.

The only time I could have access to ebay usa is when I go to France (for a limited vacation time)...and even there just to check what's available I would have to go through a software allowing me to change my IP Address (thank you Ebay !). Oh...and why not buy straight on ebay france (when on vacation there) ? Because a lot of brands are not even allowed to be sold there...and besides, the offer in vintage is very poor.

They are incredibly expensive. I stick to current releases. Why buy vintage DHI when 2013 DHI is just as good (and a third of the price)?

no, sorry. I prefer modern scents.

Rarely. Kouros is the exception as I've picked up a couple of older formulations over the past few months.