Code of Conduct

Thread: Sel Marin

Basenotes Member

Default Sel Marin

Just received my decant today and had the highest hopes. But man oh man...what the heck is that fish note doing in there? I understand the concept of a beach scent, but this I do not care for at all. The surrounding notes are quite nice, so I can understand the appeal for some. But that one note spoils it for me. What's your take on it?

Default Re: Sel Marin

It's basically the only "sea/iodine" scent I could ever stand - I even somehow like it.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | NICHE & VTG| Vero Kern, Boadicea, Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, M7, Capucci, Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

I get the lemony citrus saltwater blast which is later followed by vetiver and other notes. Though I get no fish note just a great scent that captures the seaside to a T.

Though you are not alone in perceiving that fish note as others have mentioned it as well but I'm just glad I am not one of them.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    It's basically the only "sea/iodine" scent I could ever stand - I even somehow like it.
    I also purchased a decant of Virgin Island Water, and it's like Sel Marin's boozy Cancun cousin, who's had too many pina coladas and just wants to lay around in the sun for a bit. But there's something interesting going on underneath that coconut note. Sel Marin, though. Is that it, iodine? The fishy note? It's slowly dissipating, but so is the rest of the scent.

I also get the saltwater accord but pick up no "fish note". Love this fragrance.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

For me it lasts all day but smells mostly like a light vetiver. Not too crazy about it.

This is an odd one for me. Sometimes when I smell it, I do not really detect any fishy note at all - and it is wonderful. Other times I smell it, I do get a fish note (but nothing like Wall Street) - just enough to ruin it for me.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Fortunately I do not get any actual "fish" smelling note in the fragrance. If I did I would hate it. I just get sea salt/sea foam and maybe a tiny bit of seaweed from the mineral quality, but its all still somehow clean and refreshing at the same time.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

I sampled this once and it had too much of a marine/seawater smell for me. Would have to revisit it again sometime. So far, not a fan.

to me it was more of a shellfish starting to go bad note (particularly oysters). oddly enough, i didn't get it the first 2 or 3 times i tried it. but every time after, it was the dominant note for me. as much as others liked it, can't say that it's for me.

I hate this fragrance with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I hate this fragrance with a passion.
    Wow.......is this a love or hate frag? I think it's amazing. The only thing I've found comparable
    Is terrabla and I still rather heeley. I live on the gulf coast so maybe the fishy smell doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    Wow.......is this a love or hate frag? I think it's amazing. The only thing I've found comparable
    Is terrabla and I still rather heeley. I live on the gulf coast so maybe the fishy smell doesn't bother me.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...arin-Overhyped

I had a very bad response to this fragrance.
    The longer I smelled it, the more I hated it as you can see in that topic.

I don't get any fish smell, just salt

Basenotes Member

I love Sel Marin. Plan to buy a bottle soon. Remind me of sea breeze and beach.

It's a great scent and don't find it fishy at all....
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Wet dog in a bottle lol..

I love Sel Marin! I get more of a fishy (caviar, I've been told) accord from Bvlgari Aqva Marine than Sel Marin, but truth be told, I don't find BAM to be fishy either. In fact, it's right up there with SM as my favorite "truer to life" aquatic.

Sel Marin has an oceanic (salt water) scent to it. I don't pick up any particular fishy accord, but maybe that is how my nose and brain define an oceanic fragrance. I think they captured it perfectly.

No fishy note here at all. Your nose is playing games with you... The power of association, I guess.

I don't hate it, but much prefer Bvlgari Aqva over it.

And I don't get a fish note out of it whatsoever. If any, I get TONS of salty seaweed in the drydown and it stays that way for a long time.

Sent from Galaxy Note 3
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 23rd May 2014 at 07:15 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

No fish for me.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

No fish for me either but definitely seaweed; a particularly British take on the beach, sort of dull grey, shells n stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    Wow.......is this a love or hate frag?
    To keep things interesting, I'll say for me it's "meh". I don't get the fish note, and it smells okay. Nowhere near as good as, say, Bvlgari Aqva, but okay.

Basenotes Member

Hmm. Maybe it is seaweed I'm smelling. In any case, it is a scent that is extremely unappealing. But it's interesting to read how many of you don't detect that note at all.

I'm really glad to hear that it's not just me who smells the dead fish note! I like marine scents like FM - Lys Mediterranee or Il Profumo - Aria di Mare but Sel Marin is not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellhound View Post
    I'm really glad to hear that it's not just me who smells the dead fish note! I like marine scents like FM - Lys Mediterranee or Il Profumo - Aria di Mare but Sel Marin is not my cup of tea.
    I like all of these 'marine' scents, including Sel Marin, but especially TDC's Sel de Vetiver and F Malle's Lys Med, which are gems.

The first time I tried this at the Scent Bar I really liked it. I did catch that weird sea odor of something that I thought might be seaweed in it, but I was so impressed with how much a fragrance could smell so much like the ocean as if I were on a wharf somewhere.

Unfortunately, I went to sample it again, a full wearing this time when I became more serious about possibly buying a bottle of it. That one particular seaweed/fishy type odor in it actually made me feel nauseas after about fifteen minutes. I had to scrub it and never considered owning it again.

The fish note is the seaweed.

This really does smell like the sea.

When I first tried it, I wasn't too much into it.. I was focused too much on that fishy note. I'm not sure if it's fish, or sea water that I am smelling, but it smells really good. I have what's left from the decant on my desk, and I keep it here just to sniff the empty atomizer. At first, I thought it was kind of boring, now quite the contrary. It really does an amazing job of not only capturing the smell of the sea, but the whole experience. Not often can a fragrance paint an entire picture for me, but Sel Marin does. Probably the first niche aquatic that I think is FBW too.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)