Code of Conduct

Default Does Spanish Fly really exist?

Spanish Fly is supposedly a fragrance that makes people fall in love with you... does this stuff really exist?

Default Re: Does Spanish Fly really exist?

Uh, no
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

use of spanish fly in fragrances is banned by IFRA
    : (

Come on are your having a laugh.lol A fragrance that makes people fall in love with you. If it did every basenoter would have several bottles and heh I would take a dozen bottles. lol

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Well, it does exist in one form or another:

From Wikipedia

The Spanish fly is an emerald-green beetle in the family Meloidae, Lytta vesicatoria. Other species of blister beetle used by apothecaries are often called by the same name. Lytta vesicatoria is sometimes incorrectly called Cantharis vesicatoria, but the genus Cantharis is in an unrelated family, Cantharidae. The beetle contains up to 5% cantharidin which irritates animal tissues. The crushed powder of Spanish fly is of yellowish brown to brown-olive color with iridescent reflections, of disagreeable scent and bitter flavor.

Spanish fly, or cantharides as it is sometimes called, is often given to farm animals to incite them to mate. When ingested, preparations containing cantharides once excreted in the urine irritate the urethral passages, causing inflammation in the genitals and subsequent priapism. For this reason, Spanish fly has been given to humans for purposes of seduction; they help men keep a longer erection. It is dangerous since the amount required is minuscule and the difference between the effective dose and the toxic dose is quite narrow (narrow therapeutic index). Cantharides cause painful urination, fever, and sometimes bloody discharge. They can cause permanent damage to the kidneys and genitals.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

That is absolutely horrifying lol.
    I'm not your toy.

Think.

If such a thing did exist and work as the OP describes as a perfume note, do you think it would be possible in this day and age of the internet for it to be kept a secret for more than -- what? -- three days... maybe five. No. If there was a fragrance that could magically make a woman fall in love with you, that news would be everywhere instantly.

I'm afraid that you've still just gonna do it the old fashioned way....

.................................................. .................................................. liquor.
    Last edited by Gollnick; 1st February 2011 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Spanish Fly is supposedly a fragrance that makes people fall in love with you...

NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    use of spanish fly in fragrances is banned by IFRA
    : (
    really? but some of these really good smelling fragrances may have some traces of Spanish Fly... GIT, New Haarlem, Le Male etc...

Pretty sure the "Spanish fly" needs to be ingested in order to feel its effects, which do not sound pleasant at all..

Change, iirc you just purchased GIT and New Haarlem. And now you suspect they, of all frags, have "spanish fly" in them?
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    Change, iirc you just purchased GIT and New Haarlem. And now you suspect they, of all frags, have "spanish fly" in them?
    Yes, I sampled all of the ones you listed...and yes, I decided to buy a full bottle because I'm in love with them... I really think there's Spanish Fly in them... If I don't tell the women what I'm wearing, so they can't go buy any, they will totally want me...

No drug can make someone fall in love with you, sprayed on, ingested or otherwise. Falling in love is quite different than merely bumping uglies.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

KBE ran it down quite succinctly above. Spanish Fly was an early, early attempt at a chemical way to induce sexual arousal that didn't really work and was quite dangerous. I've never heard it referenced as a fragrance ingredient.

When I was about 18, I bought some "pheromone" laced scent from an ad in semi-tawdry men's magazine. It smelled sickly sweet (hmmm- precurser to A*Men) and of course it's "magic" power to attract was bullshyt. It was around $15 mail order. A recently divorced friend got hooked into buy the new version of the this from a holistic healer. His bottle was $250. Price of selling false hope has gone up a lot.

Though I'm beginning to think Change1 is having us on...
    Last edited by StylinLA; 2nd February 2011 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    KBE ran it down quite succinctly above. Spanish Fly was an early, early attempt at a chemical way to induce sexual arousal that didn't really work and was quite dangerous. I've never heard it referenced as a fragrance ingredient.

When I was about 18, I bought some "pheromone" laced scent from an ad in semi-tawdry men's magazine. It smelled sickly sweet (hmmm- precurser to A*Men) and of course it's "magic" power to attract was bullshyt. It was around $15 mail order. A recently divorced friend got hooked into buy the new version of the this from a holistic healer. His bottle was $250. Price of selling false hope has gone up a lot.

Though I'm beginning to think Change1 is having us on...

If you are somewhat attracted to a person, that potent fragrance they have on can do much damage to your feelings about them... you will fall head over heel for them...because this blonde at work is only average looking, but when she put on a very nice fragrance, every guy goes crazy over her... yeah so there is a such thing as Spanish Fly in fragrances...

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    No drug can make someone fall in love with you, sprayed on, ingested or otherwise. Falling in love is quite different than merely bumping uglies.
    tell that to my breakfast crepes
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

really? but some of these really good smelling fragrances may have some traces of Spanish Fly... GIT, New Haarlem, Le Male etc...
    Maybe. But you need vintage versions of them. At least pre 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    tell that to my breakfast crepes

Bond no. 9 New Haarlem = breakfast crepes

If you are somewhat attracted to a person, that potent fragrance they have on can do much damage to your feelings about them... you will fall head over heel for them...because this blonde at work is only average looking, but when she put on a very nice fragrance, every guy goes crazy over her... yeah so there is a such thing as Spanish Fly in fragrances...
    Got it. Fragrance smells great on women. You're a horny young guy. In several years, you'll be a horny old guy.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Well, it does exist in one form or another:

From Wikipedia

The Spanish fly is an emerald-green beetle in the family Meloidae, Lytta vesicatoria. Other species of blister beetle used by apothecaries are often called by the same name. Lytta vesicatoria is sometimes incorrectly called Cantharis vesicatoria, but the genus Cantharis is in an unrelated family, Cantharidae. The beetle contains up to 5% cantharidin which irritates animal tissues. The crushed powder of Spanish fly is of yellowish brown to brown-olive color with iridescent reflections, of disagreeable scent and bitter flavor.

Spanish fly, or cantharides as it is sometimes called, is often given to farm animals to incite them to mate. When ingested, preparations containing cantharides once excreted in the urine irritate the urethral passages, causing inflammation in the genitals and subsequent priapism. For this reason, Spanish fly has been given to humans for purposes of seduction; they help men keep a longer erection. It is dangerous since the amount required is minuscule and the difference between the effective dose and the toxic dose is quite narrow (narrow therapeutic index). Cantharides cause painful urination, fever, and sometimes bloody discharge. They can cause permanent damage to the kidneys and genitals.
    Thanks for this information.....I always learn something at Basnotes.....and tonight is no different!!!
    Gary

If you want to read a fantastic adventure (fiction) about these little beetles... check out a book by Roald Dahl called My Uncle Oswald
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Got it. Fragrance smells great on women. You're a horny young guy. In several years, you'll be a horny old guy.
    LOL...well said stylinLA
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel