Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Halston Z-14, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by cybermorph View Post
    I just compared Z-14 to Tom Ford's Italian Cypress and they are remarkably similar..and both are beautiful.
    I agree cybermorph!

Dependent

I have a splash bottle of Z-14 I got from Ross a few weeks ago and while I agree with some reviewers that the construction is solid (no notes stick out etc), it smells almost exactly like dentists' tooth polish to me. The cinnamon is really a lot to take, and I like the smell of cinnamon normally. It's kind of a fun smell, but nothing I would ever wear out, smell like in public. I've worn it to bed a few times.

I blind bought this yesterday at Target for $15. I like powerhouse fragrances (Kouros etc.), so I figure there's little risk at this price. Wore it today and the dry down reminds my of Yatagan. Anyone else get that? In any case, I like and I find the longevity to be very good -- 8 to 10 hours. I can see wearing this more in cooler months.

Bought Z-14 on walmart.com before my 1000ml Guerlain Vetiver find.

A few thoughts :

1. Smells nothing like Tom Ford Italian Cypress. If anything TFIC is more in the vain of Polo Green not this.
    2. Longevity is below average. It starts off like a fighter plane then wimpers away carrying it's tail.
    3. This is the EA remake...do I or you really care ? You shouldn't.

I like this and for some reason it has potential...add a few poppers and a donna summers track to it perhaps? Not for me though. Vetiver is all I know right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cybermorph View Post
    I just compared Z-14 to Tom Ford's Italian Cypress and they are remarkably similar..and both are beautiful.
    i was told that as well...ive yet to compare though. Im wearing TF's Eye-talian cypress today....smells so good i wanna do myself.

I take back some of what I said. I am really liking this...still questioning longevity though. This could be a really nice evening scent...and for $14 I am not unhappy.

I take it all back. After pouring a good 1/3 of the bottle on me since last night I have come to the conclusion that this is a SCAM along with most of the EA reformulations that I have tried. You open the bottle thinking "WOW" I got Halston for only $14 then an hour later you realize why...poorly made cheap quality goods THAT DON'T LAST.

Good bye cheap fragrances.

It's a brilliant, iconic scent that makes me instantly think of discos in the 70s. It's hard to change olfactory memory imprints.

Basenotes Member

Nice, cheap and spicy but longevity is pretty poor - on my skin anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsheart View Post
    Nice, cheap and spicy but longevity is pretty poor - on my skin anyway.....
    It's not your skin. These new/old fragrances are made with cheap quality ingredients. There is no way they will smell as nice as the original. I've spent the past two months on a total "modern" fragrance binge buying smelling and researching fragrances. What you need to do is choose a good perfume house and go from there. Unless you are willing to shell out serious $ for very little fragrance ie. niche brands. I use fragrance like toilet paper so that's not an option. My budget is $100 and under per 3.4oz bottles. The best I have found in that range is Channel and Guerlain.

My grandpa bought this for me like 4 Christmas' in a row as a teen - Never mustered up the nerve to wear it back then.
    Current favorites____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Bois d'Argent____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Millesime Imperial_____Edition Blanche_____Pineapple Vintage Intense____Nasomatto Pardon____Herod____Dior Homme/Intense/Parfum/Cologne_____Oud Wood_____GIT
    Currently wearing: Santal 33 by Le Labo

A rich, luxurious, complex woody-spicy scent which smells more expensive than its actual price tag

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    A rich, luxurious, complex woody-spicy scent which smells more expensive than its actual price tag
    +1. I'm a fan.

Recently bought a 2.5oz cologne splash and a 4.2oz spray bottle. The juice in the spray bottle seems to be a lot richer. Probably because it is in an air tight bottle.

Has anybody experienced the same thing ?

I see there are Z-14 soaps available. I only saw one on ebay for $15. Can they be found cheaper and where ???
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 6th October 2011 at 05:19 PM.

This is a great one, and a fragrance I always recommend for people looking to get into "classic/older" scents on a budget. I agree the longevity is poor, but at the price I don't mind using it just for short errands or for going on walks with my partner.
    Currently wearing: L'Envol by Cartier

All I smell is cinnamyl alcohol over a bitter, unattractive mess. I do not like Z-14 at all.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N 2

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Recently bought a 2.5oz cologne splash and a 4.2oz spray bottle. The juice in the spray bottle seems to be a lot richer. Probably because it is in an air tight bottle.

Has anybody experienced the same thing ?

I see there are Z-14 soaps available. I only saw one on ebay for $15. Can they be found cheaper and where ???
    Yes sir I first tried the splash, and loved the smell, but the longevity sucked. I bought a spray bottle, and now I am in love with this fragrance. The longevity, and smell are both enhanced by the spray, perhaps the splash is aftershave strength even though it says cologne. I have been complimented wearing Z-14 by a young girl(16), which is a rare occurance for me.

I have to amend my earlier comment about poor longevity, as I decided to wear this today and I'm getting robust strength from it many hours after application. Last time I wore it I must have grown used to it or underapplied, because it is really going the distance today.

Question :

I have been noticing that the dry down on my skin is a rather unpleasant cinnamon smell and not much more. Although I don't feel it wears the same way on my clothes. Maybe I should just use it on my clothes then ? I think I would feel uncomfortable if someone smelled the harsh cinnamon smell on me. Does anybody else feel the same way ?

I actually don't get much cinnamon from this one (I find a lot more in 1-12), and instead get a green, somewhat mossy drydown. But I know what you mean by certain scents working better on clothes, as I have a few I almost strictly applying to clothing to get a better smell from them.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Question :

I have been noticing that the dry down on my skin is a rather unpleasant cinnamon smell and not much more. Although I don't feel it wears the same way on my clothes. Maybe I should just use it on my clothes then ? I think I would feel uncomfortable if someone smelled the harsh cinnamon smell on me. Does anybody else feel the same way ?

I have exactly the same experience, and feel exactly the same way about Z-14. What's with that blatant one-note cinnamon drydown?
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 06:08 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    I have exactly the same experience, and feel exactly the same way about Z-14. What's with that blatant one-note cinnamon drydown?
    Coumarin, oakmoss, and some synthetic found in cinnamon bark like cinnamaldehyde.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Coumarin, oakmoss, and some synthetic found in cinnamon bark like cinnamaldehyde.
    I didn't mean literally what's with it, but thanks. Too much cinnamaldehyde then.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 06:08 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    I didn't mean literally what's with it, but thanks. Too much cinnamaldehyde then.
    LOL I thought you typed "what's in it"

I don't like it much either. As I said above, it smells like dentists' tooth polish.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    LOL I thought you typed "what's in it"

I don't like it much either. As I said above, it smells like dentists' tooth polish.

Lol

That's a good description.

Personally I enjoy 1-12 much more.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 03:26 PM.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Bumping this thread because I just felt like offering some praise for Z-14.

I originally bought both 1-12 and Z-14 at the discounters a few years back.
    1-12 was excellent, at first. Then I realized it turned into something completely different in the dry down.*
    Z-14 was a much more mature scent, just from the top notes, but I gave it a shot based on how it smelled on paper.

When actually wearing it...ugh! It's just the scent of big red chewing gum. It's just too much. I gave the bottle away.

Since then I've gone back and forth on the scent. I would always see it at the discounters, and once in a while I'd open up the aftershave on display just to get a whiff of it, and it wasn't too bad. But top notes and dry downs...they're very different things. And it's a dated, right? I don't want to smell old.

Not too long ago I sampled a bottle at the pharmacy. What the hell, why not? On that cold, rainy night, it wasn't too bad at all! It was actually comforting in chilled weather. Maybe I misjudged it.

After continually reading about praise for the vintage I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Jeff Gordon version. They said it was closer to the vintage so hey, even better than the EA stuff. Maybe this would be like night and day even.

I got my bottle in the mail, and after trying it on, I was letdown. The opening is very different from the current EA stuff. It's like a lemony citrus that dries down into the traditional Z-14 smell. But while the dry down here had typical elements of cinnamon, it smelled dirty, and not in an old school way. Just weird and unpleasant. It smelled like it was even poorly blended. The hell? I made a bunch of posts in the Vintage sub-forum about it. I felt the EA reformulation was superior, smoother and creamier.

Anyway, I've been wearing the JG version the last couple days because I've been bored. It was definitely overwhelming when I first sprayed it on, to the point I regretted it. But as of right now, as it's settled on my skin, I took a whiff, and wow, this juice is AMAZING! Maybe it's helped that I've been getting more into 70s pop culture lately, so it's put me in the mind set of enjoying this fragrance in context of the era it was produced in. It's not a dated scent but just a really masculine one.

I've tried Polo, JV Vintage, and JV Dark Rebel, and I'd have to say this one rivals all those. And it's a smoother wear than Polo, that's for sure. I'll probably be getting the EA version pretty soon as well, just for a back up. But for a cheapie, this is an excellent scent. You just gotta give it some time, and see if it grows on you.

*I've come back around on 1-12 as well. It's pretty nice too. Yes, Z-14 is more distinctive. But it's still a classic men's fragrance that has a similar vibe to Grey Flannel but not quite as good.

I’m wearing it now and I like it. It is a rainy day and my wife is at work so I took the opportunity to use it since she’s not a fan. I mean, I see how people think it smells dated, but I just like it. Vintage version.

The vintage is magical stuff. I did recent comparisons of z-14 vs i-12, and another of z-14 vs polo. Agree that it's smoother than Polo. I like it better too, evidenced by how much more vintage polo I have left in comparison.....

Amazing that when original it sold for very modest price and now you pay $200 or more for some niche fragance that is supposed to be the same but usually isn't....

A rainy day is good, although I find I like it more on a cool to cold day. It's kind of comparable to a good fire on a cold day the way it fits.

Trouble is the "new" version has been out so long now that a lot of people get that, some even thinking it's vintage, and then complain how bad it is......

Im not old: Im vintage.

Wearing vintage Z-14 today. Nice spicy-woody frag, helps a lot if you like cinnamon (which I do). I don't think I'd put it above Warner-era Polo, but certainly good bang for the buck. Longevity is just OK: I think I might switch to 1-12 tonight for the sake of comparison, and then wear Limited tomorrow.

Speaking of Halston, I rather like Catalyst, as well.
    Currently wearing: JHL by Aramis

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Wearing vintage Z-14 today. Nice spicy-woody frag, helps a lot if you like cinnamon (which I do). I don't think I'd put it above Warner-era Polo, but certainly good bang for the buck. Longevity is just OK: I think I might switch to 1-12 tonight for the sake of comparison, and then wear Limited tomorrow.

Speaking of Halston, I rather like Catalyst, as well.
    I expect I'm in the minority liking Z-14 better. Compared an original series Halston to a Cosmair Polo. Want to do it again, maybe then will post about it in vintage.... but I will say I was surprised that the Z-14 lasted longer than the Polo in round one.

Now I feel like a newb again, but I don't think I have even heard of Catalyst. Will have to look it up......