Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Halston Z-14, thoughts?

Hey!
    So I´ve been looking at Halston´s Z-14 and Im thinking on buying it.
    For those who are familiar with it... what is it like?? Is it good quality?? Longevity?? Smell? Compliments??
    Please let me know.
    Thanks for your help!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Halston Z-14, thoughts?

For me it's a tricky one, and ultimately I dislike it immensely. But I'm biased because I dislike the smell of cinnamon. And Z has a lot of cinnamon in its heart and base. The top is a different story - citrus, some herbal components, and a vetiver/tobacco-like accord that isn't half bad. But it is very strong, dense, and a thing from another era entirely. If you like earthy, citrusy, greens & tobacco, I think you're better off with a traditional vetiver like Guerlain's. But if you're a fan of spicy cinnamon, then the Z may be for you.

It's very good quality for the money, but it's not "in fashion" right now, in case you didn't know. Have you tried Zino, Polo, or Quorum? This isn't very similar to those (or that they are very similar to each other), but that's the general direction, in case you have no idea. It's better for you to tell us what you are familiar with when you make these posts. Otherwise, there's no way we can really guess if this is for you. Compliments? Again, what is your age group? What kinds of people do you hang out with? Etc.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Remember trying it when it first appeared and didn't care for it at all.

Here in the US, it can be had pretty cheaply (less than $20), so in this sense it's not much of a risk.

I like it, but I do agree with Moonb that it is very strong, dense, and from another era. It has a 70s-80s big and loud vibe that is quite different from the modern fresh sporty things. If you are looking for a modern fresh sporty, then this is not for you.

cacio

One of the first real fragrances I wore back in the day.....I like it but have no need for something like this at this time!!!
    Gary

AromiErotici

I'll buck the trend with an "I like it"......because I do. The one good thing about being my age is that I can wear current, not so current and old school classics and vintage scents and never be out of my element.

I understand the mentality of young guys feeling a masculine scent is dated or out of fashion. It's more difficult for the younger set to pull of dense fragrances like Halston, etc.......Not impossible, just difficult.

No one will ever say to me "Dude, that cologne you're wearing is too young for you".

I really like it. It's a little too mature of a scent to wear out. I wear it around the house in the evenings, sometimes.
    Top 10 in my wardrobe:

Montale - Black Aoud
    Tom Ford - Black Orchid
    Chanel - Egoiste
    Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    Azzaro - Pour Homme
    Tauer - Lair du Desert Marocain
    YSL - L’Homme
    Hermès - Terre d’Hermes
    L’Artisan - Fou d’Absinthe
    Gucci - Pour Homme

Swap

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Stareffex View Post
    I really like it. It's a little too mature of a scent to wear out. I wear it around the house in the evenings, sometimes.
    I have frags like that too. I'll wear them in the house because there's something about them I like, but don't want to be in a social climate with it on.

I've always thought it is great stuff.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I love it. I have an old bottle and think it's wonderful, rich, understated stuff.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

I love it!

I think it is a lovely fragrance. Very well made. Like everyone has pointed out, it is strong, dark, yet it has this nice green freshness to it as well. To me it has a Polo vibe but i think it plays out much better and it doesn't have the fecal smell like Polo has in the dry down. This is the one frag where I just dab a bit on the sides of my neck and on each wrist. I also feel it is somewhat of a comfort scent as I will at times dab a bit on the back of my hand just before bed time.

I have mixed feelings about Z-14.Sometimes I like it,sometimes-not ,without any explanation why this happened.
    Not my love anyway
    Last edited by pirop; 3rd February 2011 at 01:36 PM.
    Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    I love it. I have an old bottle and think it's wonderful, rich, understated stuff.
    Oh yes, especially the vintage!

Basenotes Institution

I love it also.

I also recommend trying Halston Man, which was released in the past few years.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Wonderful and, for me, timeless stuff. I wear it any time and anywhere. It may be cheap nowadays, but its that good.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Monsieur Musk by Dana

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I love it also.

I also recommend trying Halston Man, which was released in the past few years.
    Joe........Mike Perez was kind enough to send me a mini of Halston Man a few months back. I have only worn it once ( so far) and even though the wearing was very casual and without analyzing, it reminded me of both Halston's combined.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm never sure from reading about them whether or not Z-14 is or isn't superior to 1-12. Or maybe they're just really so different that you can't compare them.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    I'm never sure from reading about them whether or not Z-14 is or isn't superior to 1-12. Or maybe they're just really so different that you can't compare them.
    I like them both equally to be honest. 1-12 is a bit louder, but no by much and they're not drastically different one from another. Both smell like Halston's and each is dense.

Last edited by Descartes; 26th March 2013 at 10:14 PM.

I don't understand the appeal of 1-12 at all, but perhaps that's because I have other frags that have a similar but better drydown, since I try to avoid top notes.

Always liked it. Like 1-12 even more. But Z-14 is very good for cold winter days. Go for it. Good value for the cash.

My first real fragrance in highschool, like a long time ago. Last week I saw it at Marshals around 100ml. for 16.99
    The moment I smelled It I knew even if I forgot about it I never stop loving it! Girls went nuts for Z-14. I am very happy to have it in my life again, I think is fresh and woody at the same, yes I like it a lot! And so afordable.
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

I'm wearing it tomorrow.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Older is better than newer in this case, trust me, try and find an old bottle and compare the two.
    Currently wearing: Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud

I have an almost full bottle for sale/swap.
    See my wardrobe for wishlist etc.

Fabulous, one-of-a-kind scent that lasts forever!

I remember that one was much more popular than the other, and I liked the less popular one. Does anyone remember which was the biggest seller?

Basenotes Member

I just compared Z-14 to Tom Ford's Italian Cypress and they are remarkably similar..and both are beautiful.