Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default Why do we wear perfume?

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Why do we wear perfume?

Interesting article .... however Im not sure that anyone would wear a perfume to give the impression of being wealthy would they ?

Thank you again, JC.

I have to respectfully disagree with the poster regarding men and perfume being compared to handbags and dresses.

Fragrance is an accessory for grooming. It is pleasant for oneself and also others.

I choose my SOTD the way in which a man chooses a shirt and tie--sometimes with care and sometimes on a whim.

Perfume can be worn simply to make oneself happy, or to be an expression to others.

And to say "ridiculous dandy" in the article?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    And to say "ridiculous dandy" in the article?
    I thought of you as soon as I read that.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

One reason: Because it makes me feel good.

I agree with the point about 'carrying around something beautiful'. I wear scent primarily for my own pleasure, not others. It lifts my mood, in the same way as a favourite poem would, or piece of music or beautiful landscape.

It's like having your own jazz band / string quartet / symphonic orchestra /opera chorus that plays for you the whole day and that follows you everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post
    It's like having your own jazz band / string quartet / symphonic orchestra /opera chorus that plays for you the whole day and that follows you everywhere.
    Oh, I like that description - how true!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I thought of you as soon as I read that.
    <hug> How sweet!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

It's all of those... It's that scent that reminds you of the gardenias in the back yard where you doze relax....when you have to go into work and deal with barbarian hordes....so it can act as a bit of a comfort and shield.

Or it can complete the effect of an essemble in your own mind--- perfect shoes, cashmere sweater, pearls and Chanel. Jeans, T-shirt, cowboy boots and Lolita L. Sundress and L'Occitane Verbena.

Or it just can be a fun secret. Just enough of something silly or sexy or fun that only you can smell it.
    "You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one." James A. Froude

The comments were fun to read.

The anti-perfume ones were a little scary - I think massively overstated though; I get migraines but haven't ever gotten one from a perfume. Ever. I don't think perfume is a common trigger, actually. Smells do bother me WHEN I have one - not just perfume - any smell. Food cooking, the dog, the outdoors, anything. And not just smells - lights, sounds, tastes, thoughts... but all those things are part of the world, I can't imagine trying to change the world each time I got a migraine - I turn on the ionic fan and hope the sheets are clean but not too clean and crawl in bed, or even better, boot an imitrex and be done with the headache.

Back on topic, I wear perfumes 'cause they make me happier. Like a drug or something. Smelling something good for so much of the day is a real pleasure.

To catch chicks!!!!!!! Oh, wait.....nevermind

What a lovely analogy, Reminiscent! I totally agree!
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Blog Entries

l love that description, too! lt simply makes me feel good, as well as being a form of self expression. This is especially important when you wear a uniform for work, & therefore cannot express yourself through the clothes you wear.
    "Brethren, let us spray"... l like that!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    "Brethren, let us spray"
    Heh! Yay for morning rituals. 'Makes me think of Catholic school, only much more fun.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Blog Entries

Interesting article and comments. Fact is, I wear perfume for different reasons on different days. (But never to seem rich! )

Most winters, I rotate away from my typical soliflores and citruses and wear cozier or heavier scents. Ambre Soie, Bois de Paradis, Jour de Fête, Amouage Gold, Ambush, and others that are often too much for summer's heat.

But not this year-- our snowfall has already nearly doubled what we have for a whole season (with more coming down as I type) and I've needed a mental escape from it. Yesterday's SotD, L'Ombre Dans L'Eau , took me to our garden in the summer: in close proximity are our roses, blackcurrant bushes and fresh tomatoes on the vine...every time I got a whiff I felt happy.

So, lately perfume serves as a metal escape -- and as always, a mood elevator.

What a great answer!

Basenotes Plus

interesting- liked the end line "So, brethren, let us spray …" enough to add to my signature LOL
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Yes, it is my own personal sensory experience to carry me throughout the day, like a soundtrack. I use perfume to enhance my mood, compliment the weather, but in the winter, I sometimes want to contrast a gloomy day. I love neroli and rose scents on an overcast and/or rainy day.

i still find articles written by non frag lovers amusing.

not sure about this guy tho

Apple will soon introduce the iScent, a portable fragrance player that will allow you to make your own playlist of scents...

I was going to compare frags with using an iPod: portable mood control, but you've beat me.

Blog Entries

why i where perfume it give me a sense of confidence
    an ideinity and a sense of adventure

a place where you can find sweet lovely rain on a scorching desert

Why do I wear perfume?

1) It's one of many ways I can make myself feel good (other than aromatherapy, music, pets, art)
    2) To drown myself in the pleasure of its own character and unique behavior (similar like looking to any fine painting)
    3) It's how I get to know something about perfumery/fragrances
    4) Lastly, to impress others (or should I say to make me smell nice to others?)