Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Ciel Man: Did Amouage Out-Creed Creed?

So I've worn my sample of Ciel a few times now, and it is turning out to be one of my favorite Amouages and one of the best aquatic/ozonic frags I've ever tried. I generally don't like the genre very much either...

I noticed it has many attributes of Creed frags... fresh, light, fruity, has a very "natural" feel despite whatever synthetics they used. It reminded me a lot of Millesime Imperial, but better... more complex and interesting while still retaining the light and airy feel. The peach accord is awesome and seems similar to the melon accord in MI, and the aquatic/ozonic aspect is subtle and well done. It is not salty, but I'm ok with that, it's not the best part of MI and I don't mind that aspect is missing in Ciel.

It seems like Amouage took a page out of Creed's playbook and executed it better than Creed has.

Default Re: Amouage Ciel Man: Did Amouage Out-Creed Creed?

Sounds very nice will have to check this one out.

Ciel is a nice almost sour floral sandalwood. It's a good fragrance that I quite like. Not enough to buy a full bottle unless I can find it cheaper, but I do quite like it.

It's in the same ballpark as a Creed, that it's non-offensive and has quality ingredients - but it's not similar to MI.

MI is beautiful fragrance that's just better than Ciel in my books. They're easily different enough to own and appreciate both, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    MI is beautiful fragrance that's just better than Ciel in my books.
    Agree.

I fully agree that Amouage is undergoing a full scale Creed-ification. LT describes Ciel as an interesting, ballsy frag, but it must be an old version because the current is exactly as Dorje and james describe. Indeed, most of the latest offerings from the brand (ie the Opus etc) could fit into the Creed line. More worryingly, some of the old stuff seem to be converging to that territory via reformulations (eg Homage).

This is probably a plus for Creed lover, but it is sad for those who prefer the heavily monumental previous offerings.

cacio

I've revisited Ciel several times and I came to the conclusion that it's surely not among my favorites in the Amouage range (neither the vintage nor the current formulation).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

My vintage Ceil Man is nothing like you describe - it is a big floral with frankincense and a weird urinous underlayer - Turin described it very well in his guide. I have always liked it though it is certainly not suitable for every occasion. I like to wear it on cool early spring or warm early autumn days. It is a happy-time-relaxo-frag for me
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 3rd April 2012 at 11:26 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I really enjoy Ciel Man; I like it better than Reflection Man; it's less "niche" and more aquatic, and I think Dorje is right; it does resemble a Creed. IMHO it's probably Amouage's least offensive fragrance in their entire line.
    I'm thinking it's similar to Himalaya though, not MI. Maybe Himalaya with some Lavender.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I really enjoy Ciel Man; I like it better than Reflection Man; it's less "niche" and more aquatic, and I think Dorje is right; it does resemble a Creed. IMHO it's probably Amouage's least offensive fragrance in their entire line.
    I'm thinking it's similar to Himalaya though, not MI. Maybe Himalaya with some Lavender.
    Reflection Man reminds me of Himalaya (but with more powder).

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    My vintage Ceil Man is nothing like you describe - it is a big floral with frankincense and a weird urinous underlayer ...
    This.

Unlike Hirch I don't enjoy it enough to wear it at all these days. The urine like accord is the only aspect of this fragrance that I can focus on...
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I sampled it on a beach vacation recently. It might just be the sand imagery on the packaging, but it did perform well in that setting.

It's a good fragrance, but it doesn't stand out to me as being special, and therefore not worth the exceptionally high price. I think it's closer to Xerjoff Kobe than to MI, though without the starfruit note. I would rather have both Kobe and MI over Ciel, though I need to spend more time with my sample.

Sound Scents

It has been a long time since I tried it, but I remember it being quite urinous and difficult to wear. I am certainly no Creed fan, but I easily prefer MI over this one, as I consider it one of the worst Amouage offerings.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I get a pleasant peach out of Ciel. There's a bit of an animalic note in it, but it's a pleasant fragrance. Does have a Creed vibe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I've revisited Ciel several times and I came to the conclusion that it's surely not among my favorites in the Amouage range (neither the vintage nor the current formulation).
    This +1

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    This.

Unlike Hirch I don't enjoy it enough to wear it at all these days. The urine like accord is the only aspect of this fragrance that I can focus on...

That accord put me off at first, but it dissappears within minutes on me...

I think it's the most under-rated Amouage, as well as one of the most overlooked masculine florals here on BN.

The animalic/urinous note dissapears within 5-10 minutes on me. Then it's a wonderful melange of frankincense, spices, fruits, flowers, aquatic notes and light woody notes. Very fresh, and texturally soft and comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I think it's the most under-rated Amouage, as well as one of the most overlooked masculine florals here on BN.

The animalic/urinous note dissapears within 5-10 minutes on me. Then it's a wonderful melange of frankincense, spices, fruits, flowers, aquatic notes and light woody notes. Very fresh, and texturally soft and comforting.
    I agree, this stuff has performed like a champ for me this summer, the dry down is fantastic.

+1

The beach imagery on the packaging suggests this a nice summer/beach scent - and it was!