Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrance: Le Petite Mort by Marc Atlan, Kilian Hennessy and Bertrand Duchoufour

From cafleurebon.com:

At the recent Elements NY show, Marc Atlan debuted his first fragrance "Petite Mort" (in French this means the little death, i.e. an orgasm).

By Kilian is well known for its fragrances of erotic love, and adding Perfume Bertrand Duchaufour as the nose, makes an interesting menage a trois.

Inspired directly by the only bodily fluid secreted solely through desire and brain chemistry, Petite Mort™ (Parfum d'une Femme) embodies the elusive substance that is created by a woman when she is about to climax. Petite mort, little death, total release; beyond a scent, more like a convulsion of the senses, like a hot, gasping breath that penetrates your memories and alters your subconscious".

Bertrand Duchaufour, a star perfumer of niche perfumery, collaborated with Art et Parfum and Kilian Hennesy (of By Kilian fame) for Marc Atlan, the creative director & designer issuing this new fragrance under his own name. Duchaufour worked on this provocative concept, no doubt like the challenges he loves. Petite Mort’s fragrance exudes an animal carnality with salty notes of sweat and urea. But warm milk, (which is supposed to be the scent that the human brain most closely associates with human skin) is also featured in the form of Sulfurol. According to the M. Duchaufour, "certain subtle ingredients in the perfume are discriminatory, and these notes will not be perceived by everyone. He adds, " Petite Mort is 'aphrodisiacally' compelling”.

The fragrance has been produced in an extremely limited edition of only 100 bottles and 15 Artist Proofs, each with its own signed and numbered certificate of authenticity.

You can purchase the perfume from the official web site PetiteMortParfum.com starting in April 2011. The price is $1000 for 10ml.

Last edited by petruccijc; 7th April 2011 at 04:36 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: New Fragrance: Le Petit Mort by Marc Atlan, Kilian Hennessy and Bertrand Duchoufour

$1000 for 10ml is what I call blowing a load.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Default Re: New Fragrance: Le Petit Mort by Marc Atlan, Kilian Hennessy and Bertrand Duchoufour

Save your money, buy Acier Aluminium.

Wait, is this scent supposed to be about that possibly mythical thing called "Squirting?" Sorry, that's maybe crude, but I'm curious to have it answered once and for all if that's "it's own thing" or just a glorified release of "#1". Hey, I'm truly curious from a scientific standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    HAHAHA! Very good.

Bertrand Duchoufour is also making a new scent for Parfums MDCI. I think it's coming out in the spring, but I'm not sure.

A luxe version of Secretions Magnifique?

Thank you for the news, JC.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

The price is just greedy ridiculous.

A proper name for this scent would be "Greed".
    Gary

Bertrand Duchaufour (in collaboration with Art et Parfum) is the “nose” whose talent was able to distill this ultimate human extract into a scent. His alchemy blends the raw components that trigger our most primal reactions. Petite Mort’s fragrance exudes an animal carnality with salty hints of sweat and urea. Amongst other ingredients, Duchaufour incorporated Sulfurol which evokes warm milk, a scent that is interpreted by the human brain as the closest thing to the smell of skin. According to the perfumer, certain subtle ingredients in the perfume are discriminatory, and these notes will not be perceived by everyone. He also describes Petite Mort as “aphrodisiacally compelling”.

As uncompromising as the project itself, the fragrance is explosively intense. Each bottle holds only 10 ml of dark, viscous, pure perfume with a flash of amethyst. The strongest perfume extracts typically contain between 10% and 40% aromatic compounds. Petite Mort™ contains 100%. Its dosage is a single drop.

If this 100% concentration, only one drop dosage thing is true, then maybe the price isn't as outrageous as it seems. I'll never be able to sample, so I'll never know.

I'm fond of the, err, "kitty," but I'll be damned if I want to smell like one.

Pretentiousness of the nth degree. Unfortunately, there are going to be those that buy this stuff. But why? What's the purpose?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

Charging $1000 for it doesn't make me want to smell what's apparently essentially that stupid Vulva perfume.

But having Duchoufour do it does make me curious...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

Well, a fragrance this expensive demands at least SOME levity. As in that color.....

It just reminds me of something.....

On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't start a conspiracy theory that conflicts with the marketing on this one.

Too late.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    A proper name for this scent would be "Greed".
    Gary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1A9YysLQIM

Wink Re: New Fragrance: Le Petit Mort by Marc Atlan, Kilian Hennessy and Bertrand Duchoufour

Quote Originally Posted by ROtto View Post

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Bertrand Duchaufour (in collaboration with Art et Parfum) is the “nose” whose talent was able to distill this ultimate human extract into a scent. His alchemy blends the raw components that trigger our most primal reactions. Petite Mort’s fragrance exudes an animal carnality with salty hints of sweat and urea. Amongst other ingredients, Duchaufour incorporated Sulfurol which evokes warm milk, a scent that is interpreted by the human brain as the closest thing to the smell of skin. According to the perfumer, certain subtle ingredients in the perfume are discriminatory, and these notes will not be perceived by everyone. He also describes Petite Mort as “aphrodisiacally compelling”.

As uncompromising as the project itself, the fragrance is explosively intense. Each bottle holds only 10 ml of dark, viscous, pure perfume with a flash of amethyst. The strongest perfume extracts typically contain between 10% and 40% aromatic compounds. Petite Mort™ contains 100%. Its dosage is a single drop.

If this 100% concentration, only one drop dosage thing is true, then maybe the price isn't as outrageous as it seems. I'll never be able to sample, so I'll never know.
    10ml of 100% concentration is the same amount of juice as 100ml at 10% concentration. Still a huge waste of money.

Quite frankly, I'm sick of Duchaufour. And I think By Kilian is the biggest joke in the niche world. There, I said it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Cant say it sounds all that appealing to be honest , sure the right names are mentioned but it sounds a little pretentious to be honest and please .... the advertising schpiel , give me a fricking break

Infantile. I'd be embarrassed to have my name associated with it. And the price is offensive - they should offer to give 50% of every sale to women's charities since they seem to find the female body so terribly interesting.

ha!! totally. It's getting ridiculous. You almost have to laugh. To whom are they marketing this, I wonder? And could you imagine a bottle split of this? Yes, we'll split it 10 ways, that will be $100 for one mL, thank you... I hate to focus on the price because it could be something really unique and with Duchaufour at the helm, one imagines if sold in limited quantities, that part of the price is owning an piece of art by the artist, but still... wow. I really would like to know what goes behind pricing a perfume like this.

Edit: Well, I just read TheBeck's comments of the 100% concentration, and I can see with the design team who it is, that an ultra luxury, yet ultra intense and concentrated perfume could be a collaborative experiment of sorts. 100% concentration is pretty outrageous. Just to sort of take the devil's advocate stance.

Ok ok, Edit #2. According to Pour_monsieur's ad, there are only 100 bottles to distribute. If that's the case, I just read an article about the Cartier exclusive range, Les Heures de Parfum ($255 for 75mL) and in the article I found out that apparently one can order a bespoke perfume by their in-house perfumer, Mathilde Laurent (perfumer of Les Heures), just for you, for $80,000... Kurkdjian offers this as well (at what price I don't know). I imagine the case of Le Petit Mort, when you add up all of the hours to compose the perfume and perfumer's fees, the raw materials (orris for example, that could really add up at 100% concentration) and divide that by only 100 bottles, it's still outrageous at $1000 but perhaps less so when looking at it from that vantage point. Ok, that's my last thought on this, promise...
    Last edited by nthny; 6th February 2011 at 03:07 PM.

Do note that 100% concentration still makes it only hte equivalent of a 100ml bottle at 10% concentration, or in other words, a 100ml bottle of EdT.

Looking at one of the more expensive Amouages - take anything from the Library line - and consider that it is an EdP, so probably about 20% concentration. Roughly $333 for 100mls of 20% concentration for the Amouage, or $1000 for 100ml of 10% concentration of Petite Mort, makes it about 6 times more expensive per mL than the Amouage Library line - a line whose prices are already getting ridiculous.

It's absurd, and I don't think it can be rationally justified. Not saying that it has to be rationally justified, just that it can't!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

$1000 per 10ml?? There's your 'little death', right there. After all, the dead can't smell & they don't do reviews either.

good point, sculpture. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Quite frankly, I'm sick of Duchaufour. And I think By Kilian is the biggest joke in the niche world. There, I said it.
    LOL There you go! Let it all out!

I'll admit that I'm still a fan of both. HOWEVER, I kind of know where you're coming from. There was a time when the perfumer and/or nose and/or creative director (whoever) were so far out of the spotlight, it almost looked like an artistic injustice. Where did this stuff come from? What miracle gave us this amazing composition? Surely it wasn't the movie star or the model - right? But now the pendulum has swung the other way, and marketing is pushing so hard, it's beginning to look like bankability in the movie industry. So much so that I want to call Duchoufour the Brad Pitt of perfumery. Give him top billing and you've got a guaranteed minimum payout. Put him on the team and you'll get a deal. I mean, you have to admit - thanks to Bert, this juice has cred.

That part doesn't make me sick - but it does make me roll my eyes. It makes me yearn for the days when guys like Duchoufour were still undiscovered talent. And as perfumer bankability becomes more the norm, I think it will only get worse. Well, I suppose it's better than the opposite.

As for By Kilian, you caught me at a bad time on that, because I'm really loving my Back to Black - and Straight to Heaven is on my short list of buy-on-the-spot-when-the-opportunity-arises fragrances. I will admit that the presentation is borderline over-the-top, but I would say that it's more a function of most frags not having bottling that lives up to the juice than the other way around. By Kilian hits a good spot for me (rich and complex, like Amouage, but more French in style), and I would buy it regardless of the keyed box thingy. What surprises me, however, is how that box simply makes most people ASSUME it's good stuff. That's the joke to me. Yeah, it is good - to me - but half the people who ooh and ahh at the packaging probably would find it too strong or not to their taste. I find myself preaching to the already converted when I say that my Back to Black is as good as the frigging box - people who see the box are like "Duh!" Well, it ain't "duh". So if anything, the joke would be on those who buy for the presentation alone and not the juice. Better to pony up for a nice jewelry box if that's the case.

I think I may have been lucky that I was just a bit put off by the packaging on By Kilian. When I finally sniffed it, I was already a bit prejudiced against it - so the juice had to turn it around, which it did.

Anyway, back on topic. Teletubby jokes aside, I'm not really put off by a certain amount of exclusivity in the perfume world, even if I'm one of the excluded. I think there needs to be a little bit of mystery - a bit of unattainability. I think that beauty almost depends on it. The perfume world is already democratic enough for me, and I appreciate that it is actually much more so than it has to be. I think there need to be bottles like this, where somebody who wants to treasure the uniqueness is able to do so.

As for styling it after the old hot and pink..... Well, that wouldn't have been my call.

I have to say , the thought of owning something so exclusive is probably half the draw well pretty much the whole appeal I would imagine . People are able to pre order this now without trying it first which is loony tunes but there you go .

I'll stick to my Amouage and Kilians thanks very much , and theres not even so much of a faux vagge in the advertising for them either

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    People are able to pre order this now without trying it first which is loony tunes but there you go .
    LMAO Yeah, I would say that the faith factor on this one is a bit huge. Talk about a blind buy!

I'll stick to my Amouage and Kilians thanks very much , and theres not even so much of a faux vagge in the advertising for them either
    LOL

*imagination runs wild.....*

AmOu{v}age

By K(l)an

Come again?

Basenotes Plus

"According to the M. Duchaufour, "certain subtle ingredients in the perfume are discriminatory, and these notes will not be perceived by everyone'"
    Reminds me of The Emperor's New Clothes. I am not interested. From concept to marketing, this is terribly insensitive & elitist, IMO.

I'll use my "voice" and my money to support companies like this: http://www.the7virtues.com/
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I'll use my "voice" and my money to support companies like this: http://www.the7virtues.com/
    Fascinating. That rose scent sounds like it could be something resembling Rose 31. Have you smelled these? Not to be off-topic or anything, but $70 is in my reality region, and why not put the thread itself to some good use?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Fascinating. That rose scent sounds like it could be something resembling Rose 31. Have you smelled these? Not to be off-topic or anything, but $70 is in my reality region, and why not put the thread itself to some good use?

Exactly!
    I have smelled both of them and each was stunning.
    I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll start one about Barb & her company. Just so people know it's an option.

Still, back on topic, to create a fragrance at this price point, with notes people may not even be able to perceive and to do it in this economy, only spotlights the sharp decline of the middle class and frankly, common sense.

This whole thing makes me mad on so many levels. My reaction, my opinion, that's all.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I didn't know Duchaufour was allowed to create fragrances for brands other than L'Artisan.

He has been stuck in a woods-Incense-IsoESuper mode for a while, maybe this can be his way out of the darkness..
    -

oh this is hilarious!!

i wonder who would wanna smell like erm.... love juice. I dont think any guy would wanna smell like that, or any girl either!!!

im thinking this market is aimed at a certain gender who is also into what the perfume is trying to push...but still its ridiculous and crass, and im not buying that 1000 10ml thang. if i wanna smell like secretions id smell the real deal not buy something that pretends to be the real thing. or Secretions Manifuques.

Duplicate.
    Last edited by A. Homme; 7th February 2011 at 02:40 AM.

Cant say it sounds all that appealing to be honest , sure the right names are mentioned but it sounds a little pretentious to be honest and please .... the advertising schpiel , give me a fricking break

"Coming Soon." Niche touch.

These guys have to be lighting cigars with $100 bills and laughing their asses off.

For $1000 I would rather go buy two of the real thing!

I don't suppose anyone has actually tried this?

http://www.vulva-original.com/de/ ...case closed.

Link is +18, and not work safe by the way.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Please don't take this as a criticism, but just as a point of information: la petite mort means "the little death" (yes, orgasm); le petit mort means "the little dead man."
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I should think Mr Atlan will be a little dead man once he realises he wont sell a great deal of his $1000 fanny juice

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    I'm fond of the, err, "kitty," but I'll be damned if I want to smell like one.
    I agree
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    http://www.vulva-original.com/de/ ...case closed.

Link is +18, and not work safe by the way.
    Thanks for the warning
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    For $1000 I would rather go buy two of the real thing!
    I've been reading this thread and staying quiet, but that was my thought exactly. Just get it on, and don't take a shower.

Default Re: New Fragrance: Le Petite Mort by Marc Atlan, Kilian Hennessy and Bertrand Duchoufour

Roll on applicator? C'mon... where's the lux turkey baster bottle?
    The Bark Bites Back.

Default Re: New Fragrance: Le Petite Mort by Marc Atlan, Kilian Hennessy and Bertrand Duchoufour

I'm waiting for Petite Mort Sport.

Sur la Plage

I don't like "that" to begin with, so I don't want to smell like "that" for any amount of money. Not that there's anything wrong with that if other people do.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I don't like "that" to begin with, so I don't want to smell like "that" for any amount of money. Not that there's anything wrong with that if other people do.
    LOL. Well, since you brought it up... I was once tending bar and was talking to a patron who was a gay choreographer-- really funny guy and he said he knew he was gay when he found his dad's stash of skin mags and some of them had "scratch and sniff" patches along with pictures of the girls. It really turned him off.

I'm not always the biggest fan of all characteristics of "that" either in some circumstances, but then again with all due respect, the alternative prospect doesn't sound that appealing either! Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Paradoxically, this all seems like a lot of c*ck to me...

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    I agree
    Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I'm waiting for Petite Mort Sport.
    "For those days when you want to feel a bit fresher"

Less tuna and more tilapia.

I am actually curious about this. I wouldn't mind...um...sniffing it.
    But I sure as heck wouldn't pay for it!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Posted in error....

One hundred thousand dollars net (if all 100 bottles sell, which I'm quite sure they will. Lots of people out there with cash looking for limited editions) is not what I would consider "doing it for the money" and greed, as been mentioned above. After subtracting the perfumers fees, and the usually large amounts for design and production of brand new bottle (for only a 100 bottle run). Plus all the costly advertising costs. There won't be that much of a profit to speak of left, if even any !? ...
    This is purely "perfume art" for perfume art's sake. And seeing that perfumery have for the large part always been mostly about attraction and sex anyways, it only makes sense that an artistic perfumer would be inspired and want to explore "orgasms" and their "juices" , which are after all only "human musk". ~ Musk has always been the major key player in fragrances, so exploring the notes that make up "human musk" only makes absolute sense to me. (It's almost like perfumery's "holy grail" !) ... ~ And I for one am very intrigued ! - And only applaud and encourage "perfume art". The more the better, I say !

"The earth laughs in flowers" - (E.E.Cummings)

------------------------------------------

If, indeed, there are ONLY 100 bottles created for world distribution, then I'm surprised there's any left.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Modern Man

Quote Originally Posted by ModernMan View Post
    If, indeed, there are ONLY 100 bottles created for world distribution, then I'm surprised there's any left.
    I went to the site and went through the purchase process - there are indeed bottles left (at least, paypal was ready to charge me $1,100 [another $100 for shipping]).

The price and the inspiration for the fragrance makes me laugh.

I did get a chance to sample this 4 times. It's okay, it's unique, but the real beauty was, I never yearned for more.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I did get a chance to sample this 4 times. It's okay, it's unique, but the real beauty was, I never yearned for more.
    So... what did it smell like? Was it "aphrodisiacally compelling"?

the elusive substance that is created by a woman when she is about to climax
    Urine? Blood? Women can climax??

Too many gimmicks in perfume these days. It's either Eau de Vagina or it's delivered in a Bentley or the bottle is made of some nonsensically expensive gem. The exclusivity of this item reeks of desperation. I prefer companies who focus on interesting fragrances over these gimmicky flash-in-the-pan releases.

Dangling lauded perfumer names over me doesn't get me wet either. Kilian isn't even a perfumer, this is just one big pony show.

About twenty of us chipped in and split a bottle, making it more affordable to satisfy our curiosities. It doesn't smell like a vulva, or an orgasm, or any secretion in my opinion. However, it does have an element of carnality to it and when I wear it I get that butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling. I think it smells quite amazing and one drop lasted for days even after multiple showers. Nothing about it was offensive at all but instead was extremely appealing. It had no "edge" to it but was very soft instead with a subtle milky-jasmine note. This doesn't have the intensity of the build-up, but more along the lines of the smoke afterwards. A suitable description would perhaps include some tuberose and musk, and I definitely get the "milk" note, although I would have never called it that otherwise. Something about this reminds me of Sarassins by Lutens but that may have everything to do with the color. In short, I really like this scent and I wear it on very rare occasions.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Quote Originally Posted by cbstarker View Post
    In short, I really like this scent and I wear it on very rare occasions.
    Haha, I'd assume so, as split about 20 ways gives you what, 0.5ml or so a piece?
    Last edited by Partario; 21st March 2012 at 03:37 PM.

Well, it only costs 1000$ for the initial purchase. The refills are free. In fact, you don't even have to leave the house for them...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Well, it only costs 1000$ for the initial purchase. The refills are free. In fact, you don't even have to leave the house for them...
    *LOL* I hope you're joking Suga - cos if you're not, then I've got a filthy mind !

This Le Petite Mort stuff did nothing for me I'm afraid or perhaps I should be glad and relieved because it's very expensive and a limited edition to boot. I tried it at The Scent Bar last year and only got a wet dog smell. Lovely bottle though.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.