Code of Conduct

Default Buying and selling on EBAY

For whatever reason I have never made a purchase on EBAY nor have I sold anything on their site. How hard is it to get started without a trader rating or knowledge on the ins and outs ? There are a few bottles I want to get rid of along with hand-fulls of samples that I would never wear in a million years. Ebay seems shady with all the bots and scammers running around. Any recommendations ? Im not looking to be a seller, I enjoy sampling way too much, but have simply moved on from some of my fragrances to better ones. I might start out buying a few samples from Ebay and get more acquainted with their system. I opened an account, but it looks so time consuming.
    Last edited by Nersh; 5th February 2011 at 10:36 PM.

Default Re: Buying and sellling on EBAY

You could just start a thread in the basenotes marketplace...

Default Re: Buying and sellling on EBAY

You can sell it here.

Also, PM me with samples that you own, im VERY interested in samples!
    Thanks my friend nersh!

Ps: Youre enjoying the Arabian Nights?

Default Re: Buying and selling on EBAY

I purchase from eBay all the time. I've never had a problem yet. Just look at their feedback and how many items they've sold.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Ebay is not as bad as its reputation.
    As a buyer you wont encounter any problems whatsoever, as long as you pay in time. Paypal will give security with your purchases in case you get ripped off.
    as a seller, i have noticed, more than once, that a good presentation, backed up with pictures will get you farther than many transactions under your belt.
    It really is a great way to obtain/get rid off stuff that is only appreciated by few people.
    Smellin good

I have bought a little but sell a lot of stuff on ebay. You will learn the ins and outs but it really isn't that hard to get started.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Blog Entries

There are requirements for starting a thread in the BN marketplace. (Imperfect though they are, they seem to reduce the amount of scamming here.)
    One of these 3 has to be true of you:

1. A member for 1 year,
    or
    2. 500 posts
    or
    3. supporting member

(You can still respond to others' posts though, even if you have not yet met any of those 3 requirements.)

As far as eBay, it's not shady but a seller can get into trouble if he isn't knowledgeable about the way the site operates. Also it helps to have some feedback as a buyer before selling there-- rather than being a total newbie. There is a lot of informative material on eBay (see drop down menu in Customer Support, upper right corner of eBay page.) It also helps to read the discussion forums there, where all sorts of problems are hashed out.

I'm sending you a PM about another site where you can sell.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 5th February 2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: clarification

Banned

i have been using ebay for about 10 years, even though i am only 20. But ebay is probably the greatest thing ever made. As far as buying goes there are three things you want to look for: (for fragrances atleast)
    -Seller Feedback Percentage
    -Number of feedback (the more the better)
    -Only buy authenticity 100% guaranteed
    The difference between buying on ebay and buying from an online retailer like fragrancenet and scent monkey is that ebay sellers' feedback is like their baby. they must take care of it and make sure they never get negative feedback. So they will never sell kock-offs or fake frags, because they know the buyer will give negative feedback, thusly ruining their reputation as a seller. Ebay sellers will do anything to satisfy the buyer, and you can look at any sellers' feedback and see their negative feedbacks and why the buyer gave the negative feeback. Online retailers dont have this feature. If you reveive your product from fragrancenet and the box is open or the bottle is damaged or whatever. They wont care about customer satisfaction because the buyer cant make a public complaint. Yes, they will probably fix the problem for you, or you will get a refund, but they dont give a crap because no one can see those mistakes but the retailer and the buyer who just got screwed. Ebay sellers wont make the mistakes in the first place, and if they do, you can every negative feedback that any buyer has given any seller.
    I love ebay and will continue to use it forever. It can be intimaidating to first time users but once you get the hang of it, you wont buy from anywhere else. Hope this helps.

You may wanna check out Bonanza. It could be more up your alley!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

eBay's terrific. I've bought most of my favorite frags on eBay, and am currently selling 16 frags

Also, PM me your sample list too! I'm interested.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

It's easier to buy than to sell fragrance on eBay. I resold Creed GIT and OV 99% bottles no problem (except selling fees and PayPal take are brutal, IMO), but I couldn't give anything else away. The listing fees also nibble away should you choose to relist. The frequent sellers on eBay get listing price breaks and selling percentage breaks that the small guy doesn't get. Don't let me discourage you though!

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mambac View Post
    i have been using ebay for about 10 years, even though i am only 20. But ebay is probably the greatest thing ever made. As far as buying goes there are three things you want to look for: (for fragrances atleast)
    -Seller Feedback Percentage
    -Number of feedback (the more the better)
    -Only buy authenticity 100% guaranteed
    The difference between buying on ebay and buying from an online retailer like fragrancenet and scent monkey is that ebay sellers' feedback is like their baby. they must take care of it and make sure they never get negative feedback. So they will never sell kock-offs or fake frags, because they know the buyer will give negative feedback, thusly ruining their reputation as a seller. Ebay sellers will do anything to satisfy the buyer, and you can look at any sellers' feedback and see their negative feedbacks and why the buyer gave the negative feeback. Online retailers dont have this feature. If you reveive your product from fragrancenet and the box is open or the bottle is damaged or whatever. They wont care about customer satisfaction because the buyer cant make a public complaint. Yes, they will probably fix the problem for you, or you will get a refund, but they dont give a crap because no one can see those mistakes but the retailer and the buyer who just got screwed. Ebay sellers wont make the mistakes in the first place, and if they do, you can every negative feedback that any buyer has given any seller.
    I love ebay and will continue to use it forever. It can be intimaidating to first time users but once you get the hang of it, you wont buy from anywhere else. Hope this helps.

Sorry mate but I disagree with this idealistic generalisation. Obviously most seller operate that way but if there werent any fishy ones around we wouldnt repeatedly have outbursts about rip off or really bad customer service by ebay seller.
    I experienced one myself, payed for the item (when i didnt have paypal yet) and never heard from that bloke again. I dont think the negative rating scratched him much.
    Smellin good

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Sorry mate but I disagree with this idealistic generalisation. Obviously most seller operate that way but if there werent any fishy ones around we wouldnt repeatedly have outbursts about rip off or really bad customer service by ebay seller.
    I experienced one myself, payed for the item (when i didnt have paypal yet) and never heard from that bloke again. I dont think the negative rating scratched him much.
    Okay, well was his feedback under 99%, and how much feedback did he have, if he had less than like 100, which is waay too low to buy from in the first place, then thats your own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    agree. i bought something unrelated to fragrance from someone with little or no negative feedback who guaranteed authenticity and it turned out to be fake. im hesitant to buy fragrances from ebay but also dont have much experience in doing so

It's mostly common sense. If you buy a 4.2 oz Creed for 24 dollars from someone with 15 positive feedback and 2 negatives, it IS going to be fake. If you buy the same creed for 180 dollars from someone with 2400 positive feedback and 2 negatives, it IS going to be authentic.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

One thing that annoys me is I received negative feedback on something I sold with the buyer claiming it was fake. I know 100% that it is real. The buyer didn't even bother contacting me. He just left negative feedback to ruin my perfect rating. I hate that ebay no longer lets sellers leave negative feedback for buyers. I get buyers who agree to purchase and never pay and never reply to my requests. That is annoying!
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I have had good success both buying and selling on eBay, but most of what I buy and sell are books. I have bought and sold fragrances some, and that has worked well enough. The basenotes marketplace is a good place too and offers the opportunity to swap as well.

Buying on ebay is certainly not as easy as Craigslist. The only problem with Craigslist is you have to schedule meetings with people and generally people are on time and non committal, but it takes part of your day to schedule these meet-ups. I dont know what is worse, having to pack and ship or meet some stranger for an unknown sale. But, I bought my monitor from Craigslist for 1/2 the retail price and it has been awesome. I would not feel comfortable purchasing something this nice and this cheap on EBAY. But, Craigslist never has anything good on there, other than commercial fragrances.

I do know that there is a marketplace on Bn, and theres also a chance you can or cannot sell. Sounds easy enough right ?

I have been ripped off twice on eBay. Both were fakes, bad ones.

eBay can be okay but you have to research exactly on what you are buying. If selling the fees are really high. 10% on everything you sell plus an additional 10% on postage and also a fee for paying by PAY PAL.
    I never seem to come out on top with selling as people don't want to pay a decent price for goods.
    I have given up and the only two things left will be my last
    As for buying you can get some great deals but know exactly what you want and ask lots of questions.
    Janet

What were the fakes you bought please.
    Janet

Sorry, double posted, see below...
    Last edited by Q. R. Crumm; 5th November 2014 at 12:02 PM.
    "I have to return some videotapes"

I mostly buy on Ebay and rarely sell...

When buying I always do the following before comitting to anything:

Check seller feedback (number and quality)
    Check sellers previously sold items (If they have sold hundreds of perfumes you are usually ok)
    Read the full description of the item
    Scrutinise every photo
    Be careful of sellers using stock photos (I have bought from these only after checking their feedback and previous sales)
    "I have to return some videotapes"

I buy at times on Ebay and luckily so far have not have had any problems.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I have bought a few fragrances on ebay and all have been legit except for one which was a boxed 100ml bottle of Gucci Pour Homme (2003). The seller refunded me on this straight away though

So far so good for me. But I only gravitate to the top rated sellers and always Leary of the so called under 100 club. I usually pay the little extra from reliable outlets. My main aim on E-Bay is hard to find gems that are hard to get here stateside.

I have bought and sold a ton of fragrances on ebay.I have only bought one fake,Creed Himalaya.I am pretty sure the seller knew it was fake because he didnt question it when i contacted him and he refunded me immediately.That fake actually didnt smell half bad!

I buy and sell a lot on eBay. I admit it is getting more expensive and more non paying winners are popping up.